I deleted my alts today.

I deleted my alts today.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hocofaisan.2593

Hocofaisan.2593

I just want to share that the current state of the game highly discourages alt play, as I currently estimate it will take the better half of 2013 to finish gearing my main.

I don’t play enough to warrant joining a large guild, so the only path to much of the ascended gear is via the laurel system (why should I benefit from the work of people who play daily several hours when I only play guildwars at most an hour a day?).

Even if I could find time to level my alts (when I log in, I end up using all my time on daily and monthly activity) once they are max level, it would take another half a year to gear them.

Just wanted to get that off my chest, thanks.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Yea, it’s REALLY rough to get amulets and accessories for alts. Rings aren’t so bad.

I would not have DELETED them, though.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

It is the road, not the destination…
;-)

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I just want to share that the current state of the game highly discourages alt play, as I currently estimate it will take the better half of 2013 to finish gearing my main.

Funny, I’ve been considering purchasing another character slot so I can start another alt. I haven’t quite decided if I want it to be a Thief or a Necromancer. Any suggestions?

What you did (if you really did it) amounts to destroying your toys in a tantrum while shouting, “see what you made me do!?” Good game.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

;-)

Yes. I would not delete any of my characters even if you told me NONE of them would get ascended gear!

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

I have one toon my guardian that i want equiped in the “best” because he is the one i do group/guild things with and people will be relying on me.

The 80 ranger is in exotics and will probably stay that way.

The 80 thief is in almost full exotics and will get round to it

the others arent 80 but 8 slots 7 alts all can play the game all i can have fun on if this was any other game would people expect to be able to raid gear all their alts?

Play alts for fun and a bit of a break in play style dont try to have 8 mains you just make a game into work

Ulfar SOR

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yep, I put one guy in ascended gear for fractals, and done. The rest of my characters are quite happy to romp around Tyria having fun…and I have a LOT of alts.

People make their own misery.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: mattbnh.9247

mattbnh.9247

Sad part is that even low level alts can do dailies and monthlies, sometimes faster than an 80 who feels compelled to play in high level areas.
And think of all the wasted potential storage space. You could have a main and 4 mules without buying any extra slots.

“That’s more than I really needed to know.” – Adventurer in LA

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I don’t play enough to warrant joining a large guild, so the only path to much of the ascended gear is via the laurel system (why should I benefit from the work of people who play daily several hours when I only play guildwars at most an hour a day?).

Even if I could find time to level my alts (when I log in, I end up using all my time on daily and monthly activity) once they are max level, it would take another half a year to gear them.

Sorry, but this is ridiculous. I have 11 characters and NO MAIN. Not one of those characters is fully geared in exotics and only one of them has an ascended piece. That would be my usual farmer, who acquired her medallion with laurels, just so I could maximize her magic find. Oh, and for what it’s worth, I’ve been playing since BWE1, so I’m anything but new to the game.

The painful (to you, I’m guessing) truth is that you don’t need a fully kitted out toon to do anything in this game. The fact that you feel that this is what defines your sense of fulfillment, tells me you shouldn’t be playing alts to begin with. You clearly don’t enjoy the game enough to handle them.

Enjoy your little tantrum.

I deleted my alts today.

thisolderhead.5127

Fight Club – these characters are your appartments, burn them.

It isn’t like chasing the Flavour Of The Month builds/profs in GW2 is hard – you only need three characters (warr, theif, ele) to stay ahead of that curve lol.

Please try again.

I deleted my alts today.

darkace.8925

Fight Club – these characters are your appartments, burn them.

lol

“It’s got you grinding dungeons you don’t like to buy ascended gear you don’t need.”
“This is your gaming life, and it’s ending one gear-treadmill at a time.”

(edited by darkace.8925)

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

i bet those alts are all level 1s.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: SerMahad.4813

SerMahad.4813

Meh. I have all professions, almost all of them at 80, none of them with even one piece of ascended gear.
Now, imagine a number between 0 and 1. That’s how much I care about ascended stuff.

Now, ask me if I’d delete all my alts because I can’t equip them with purplish items.

:)

My Mom Thinks I’m Special [MTIS] – Piken Square

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Coming up on 7 level 80s out of 35 alts. (I am at 6 now – all in orange gear).

Will have some laurel gear on the two characters I finally “designate” as my main very soon- one for guild play, the other for “farming”.

Min/maxer by nature. In every MMO I’ve played.

I am in a small guild of 4. We are fine working our way through explorables (sans the one that requires 5).

We could do fractals. Two of my guildmates had extremely “allergic” reactions to the WoW-Rift gimmick style fights.

Personally not interested in guild missions (although one of my guildmates is).

I do the dailies religiously which has sucked a lot of the fun out of the game.

I will not have the “best” gear in this game.

That is my choice.

Both to “grind the inefficient way” and to remain with the guildmates I have been with through multiple games over the last 13 years.

I continue to have fun with my guild on weekends, doing 5-mans with 4 because that is what we enjoy. Because our values are:

People > things.

Choice = responsiblity.

Our gear is good enough, combined with our player skill, to do the things we enjoy. So far the game lets us do that.

Sorry you felt the need to negate whatever fun you had. Hope you find something either in this game, or whatever game you play that brings enjoyment.

Good luck.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Toxophile.6215

Toxophile.6215

I agree with Blacklight. You don’t “need” to be fully geared to enjoy the game. I have 4 80’s, but only 1 has mostly exotics (missing jewelry, back, and 1 weapon). My other 80’s are mostly in rares I crafted with maybe 1 piece of exotic bought with karma. Oh, I have one mystic toilet weapon on one of them.

I have a total of 8 slots so I can have one of each of the classes I like (I just can’t get it up for engineer or warrior) and the others range between low 60 to high 20’s. I just really like being able to use the different playstyles. So my advice is to re-roll, and stop worrying about the freaking ‘end game’. Just have fun in the game. Join that big guild and spend your limited time getting to know some of the people you play along side with.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: mattbnh.9247

mattbnh.9247

I thought I was a nut having 16 characters. I had less than 35 in GW1 over 4 accounts (though only 1 less) :-).

I may have to buy a couple more if the price of gems ever levels out.

I least now I know I won’t max out anytime soon – anyone know what the max number of toons allowed is?

Coming up on 7 level 80s out of 35 alts. (I am at 6 now – all in orange gear).

To the OP – if these posts show you a different perspective, that’s good. Glad you posted. You still have those alt slots if one of us gave you a good reason to use them.
You don’t have to throw that nice gear you find for other professions into the mystic toilet – maybe you could revive an alt and work them up to using that nice gear.

“That’s more than I really needed to know.” – Adventurer in LA

(edited by mattbnh.9247)

I deleted my alts today.

thisolderhead.5127

I get it – OP is a former EvE player, deleting alts actually has a financial impact on the devs over there, freeing up space on the servers for Anet by deleting your rubbish is just polite!

Please try again.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

I have 6 80s, I don’t know which one is my “main” – Thus I do not have an amulet yet, let alone any idea who to get the other Ascended pieces on. Most of my 80s have Ascended Rings though because they weren’t too bad to get.

Ascended Rings = Easy to get, but not too easy (can’t just buy them off the TP)
Ascended Amulet = 20+ days for 1 Amulet
Ascended Accessories = An uncountable amount of days for 1 accessory + a gold requirement + a large Guild requirement

Basically, they did it right with Ascended Rings. It’s reachable and you can have multiple sets with out too much time commitment. In addition, there are multiple ways of getting Ascended Rings.

The Amulet and Accessories though have ridiculous restricted time limits.

I hope they do better in the future. This isn’t “quality” content, it’s just ghetto time syncs to get players to keep playing for all the wrong reasons.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

Even if I didn’t like a char, I would never delete it in order to receive my annual birthday prezzie (which I imagine will happen just like in GW1).

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

shame you deleted them knowing that Anet will likely give characters a birthday present of some sort like they did in GW 1

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Instead of deleting them you should have parked them on a valueable crafting node and used them to harvest that node each day and deposit. Then sell with your main.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Zil.3071

Zil.3071

i have all classes lv80, all full exotic n ascended. but yea i would have to focus on 1 in wvw from 26mar which sux… big time. n no i wont be silly enough to delete my ‘alts’ lol

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

;-)

The road blocks in the road, make the destination unreachable..

I deleted my alts today.

darkace.8925

;-)

Bull[expletive]! There is not one single aspect of this game in which you cannot participate without a full set of Ascended gear. Not. One. Single. Aspect.

I deleted my alts today.

thisolderhead.5127

;-)

That is disappointing from you mate – you’ve always struck me as a more “half-full, but with something rancid” type of player…

Back on topic though – some players have built road blocks in their mind, I can’t convince them otherwise nor am inclined to as they don’t make fun party members.

Please try again.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I have 20+ toons

I am not deleting anything.

I love this game

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

iam accepting donations for buy the legend…

no really, probably i would not delete the chars, i would just make them completely naked if i were to decide to not use them anymore.

I took an arrow to the knee

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

You deleted your babies because you couldn’t get fancy clothes for them? O.o

On a more serious note, I have one of each profession. 5 are level 80. None have ascended and I may never have ascended. If I do it will be a lonnnnggg time. You don’t need it. Rares are good enough and exotics are the max you really need to do regular PvE. Also, there are the possible birthday presents you will no longer get. They were a big deal in Guild Wars 1 and likely to be again in this game.

As it is said, act in haste and repent at leisure. I suspect you acted in haste.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I’m not a very big fan of games that encourages alt tbh.. I’d much rather play games that rewards you for being loyal to a specific character. You know, like how old mmorpgs used to be. Just 1 character per roleplay.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I park my mesmer on a jp chest, hate the class, but I like free loot every day :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

I deleted my alts today.

thisolderhead.5127

I’m not a very big fan of games that encourages alt tbh.. I’d much rather play games that rewards you for being loyal to a specific character. You know, like how old mmorpgs used to be. Just 1 character per roleplay.

People still had alts, just took about one more step.

In fact because people assumed that each character was a unique player – SCAMS!

Was great.

Please try again.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

;-)

Yes. I would not delete any of my characters even if you told me NONE of them would get ascended gear!

+1 to these posts.

OP yours was a knee-jerk reaction to your own inability to find a proper guild that caters to casuals (you can find many even with 400+ players) so you gave up and you’re trying to blame the system.
Well I’m here to tell you the system works, you just failed to understand it and adapt to it… and to find a decent guild, especially.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Bad move deleting your alts, in my opinion. Even 4 level 20 somethings can speed up your daily by quite a lot. Park one at the top of a jumping puzzle, one beside a laurel vendor (in LA so near the forge as well), etc.

Alternatively, park all 4 beside jumping puzzle chests for daily loot. :P

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: RaveFlyz.2395

RaveFlyz.2395

I don’t have any alts only mains…why would you even do that to yourself. I mean if any of the alts that you had were at level 80 that doesn’t count as a smart move. I just finished my fourth eighty, I use them all to run dungeons for a good amount of tokens, with a good guild you should be able to get to fractals 10+ in a day…I have nearly 60 laurels and I just recently came back to the game last month. Just finish your dailies on time and get your monthly. Getting your amulet first because rings drop in fractals past lvl10. Shoot, I just made a guardian since it’s one of the classes I don’t have an 80 on and I’m having a blast playing her when I’m not running dungeons or helping guildies…my advice to you. Find an active fractal running guild that’s willing to help you out and you’ll have that exotic gear, ascended, and whatever else you need in no time.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

it’ll probably be 2014 to gear 1 character with multiple trinkets… unless you plan to use 1 gear set until the end of time.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

I’ll probably get a syzgzy on all my characters, with a gilded infusion or something. wouldn’t really care about the rings and acc. exotic is OK. at least until they add more agony crap to the game

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

You deleted your babies because you couldn’t get fancy clothes for them? O.o

On a more serious note, I have one of each profession. 5 are level 80. None have ascended and I may never have ascended. If I do it will be a lonnnnggg time. You don’t need it. Rares are good enough and exotics are the max you really need to do regular PvE. Also, there are the possible birthday presents you will no longer get. They were a big deal in Guild Wars 1 and likely to be again in this game.

As it is said, act in haste and repent at leisure. I suspect you acted in haste.

This ^

Regarding the birthday pressies, I suspect only the ex-GW1 players actually planned ahead specifically for this. I’ll have 6 presents coming my way end of August, if things work out as planned, lol. I still log into GW1 every few months to open presents. So much fun!

Back on topic:
It seems to me like an over reaction but I can also see how built-up frustration can lead a player to do something as radical as this.

I deleted my alts today.

kKagari.6804

This whole counter argument of ‘you don’t need to do it’ is ridiculous. I don’t need to do anything in this game, should I completely stop playing it then? It doesn’t make the content designed any less grindy. OP wants ascended gear, and the path towards getting ascended gear is grindy, there is no argument about that.

For example, if you can get an ascended ring by beating a boss without pressing 1, it’d be a challenging way to get an ascended ring, that wouldn’t be grinding. It might even be fun. And OP wouldn’t be making this topic.

Ascended gear is a grind.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

This whole counter argument of ‘you don’t need to do it’ is ridiculous. I don’t need to do anything in this game, should I completely stop playing it then? It doesn’t make the content designed any less grindy. OP wants ascended gear, and the path towards getting ascended gear is grindy, there is no argument about that.

For example, if you can get an ascended ring by beating a boss without pressing 1, it’d be a challenging way to get an ascended ring, that wouldn’t be grinding. It might even be fun. And OP wouldn’t be making this topic.

If you stopped playing the game, it would defeat the entire purpose of the counterargument to that original counterargument.

Which is why the counterargument to the “You don’t need to…” argument doesn’t work. You don’t need to use /dance to play the game. Does the counterargument work here too?

I deleted my alts today.

darkace.8925

It doesn’t make the content designed any less grindy.

Because a player can competently participate in any aspect of this game without a single piece of Ascended gear, the only grind in this game is a self-imposed one. It really is that simple. It really is.

I deleted my alts today.

kKagari.6804

Because a player can competently participate in any aspect of this game without a single piece of Ascended gear, the only grind in this game is a self-imposed one. It really is that simple. It really is.

Can I do the uber challenging fractal level 50 without ascended gear? nope.

Everything in this game is self imposed. Logging on is self imposed. If OP’s goal was to get ascended gear, because for him, gearing is fun, then the path to doing so is a grind, whether his mom imposed it on him, or he did.

Ascended gear could have been gotten by completing really challenging fun content once, but instead, we have objectives that involve lots of grind.

I deleted my alts today.

kKagari.6804

If you stopped playing the game, it would defeat the entire purpose of the counterargument to that original counterargument.

Which is why the counterargument to the “You don’t need to…” argument doesn’t work. You don’t need to use /dance to play the game. Does the counterargument work here too?

What are you on about? Clearly quitting the game is not supposed to be a solution. The thing is, relative to what O kitten aying; if he finds gearing up fun, why does it need to be a grind? The only way he is going to get ascended gear is by grinding, whether its fractals or dailies.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

“you don’t have to get it” is a defeatist’s point of view. People who are not contented in being underachievers will of course work towards the BiS equipments available in the game. WHICH were originally marketed by Anet to be easy to acquire. But with the introduction of ascended, they broke their promise. I don’t understand what’s so hard to grasp here (for people who argue for ascended equipments by saying the difference in stats is marginal at best).

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

I deleted my alts today.

Heijincks.9267

Everything in this game is self imposed. Logging on is self imposed. If OP’s goal was to get ascended gear, because for him, gearing is fun, then the path to doing so is a grind, whether his mom imposed it on him, or he did.

Ascended gear could have been gotten by completing really challenging fun content once, but instead, we have objectives that involve lots of grind.

If you’re skilled enough, you can. Asides from that, anything above level 20 fractals is rather redundant. By the time you get to level 20, you’re already guaranteed at least one piece of ascended anyway. Not by RNG either.

I deleted my alts today.

Posted by: Darque Intent.1674

Darque Intent.1674

;-)

Well when I joined the road it said I was going somewhere else entierly, 6 months down that road and I find out that I’m actually going in the opposite direction than what I wanted. And they keep sticking up toll booths…

Nevermind the people who try and turn that road into a battlefield.

Don’t be ashamed in deleting your alts. Who knows, they might sack whoever can’t make a decent decision and it might be worth creating new ones… YOLO BRO...

All hail Emperor Anet, and their new clothes!

I deleted my alts today.

kKagari.6804

If you’re skilled enough, you can. Asides from that, anything above level 20 fractals is rather redundant. By the time you get to level 20, you’re already guaranteed at least one piece of ascended anyway. Not by RNG either.

You won’t make it past frac 20 jade maw without AR. Of course, you’ll probably suggest, ‘just let your 4 teammates carry you’, right?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but getting to fract 20, you’ll only have completed pristine jade maw 6 times. Which doesn’t get you an ascended ring. I’m not sure if they guarantee you one now at fract 20, but they didn’t back when I still ran fractals.

I deleted my alts today.

Heijincks.9267

What are you on about? Clearly quitting the game is not supposed to be a solution. The thing is, relative to what O kitten aying; if he finds gearing up fun, why does it need to be a grind? The only way he is going to get ascended gear is by grinding, whether its fractals or dailies.

Exactly. Which is why the counterargument to “optional” is wrong.

If I found anything else to be fun, then why does it have to be a grind as well? “Grind” is such a relative term that I can find anything grindy, including something as simple as doing map completion.

I deleted my alts today.

thisolderhead.5127

;-)

Well when I joined the road it said I was going somewhere else entierly, 6 months down that road and I find out that I’m actually going in the opposite direction than what I wanted. And they keep sticking up toll booths…

Nevermind the people who try and turn that road into a battlefield.

Don’t be ashamed in deleting your alts. Who knows, they might sack whoever can’t make a decent decision and it might be worth creating new ones… YOLO BRO...

Sounds like you need a truck stop….

Please try again.

I deleted my alts today.

Heijincks.9267

You won’t make it past frac 20 jade maw without AR. Of course, you’ll probably suggest, ‘just let your 4 teammates carry you’, right?

Then get your ascended non-RNG way before you go to fractals 20. Every agony of fractals 10 doesn’t kill you instantaneously and you get a single relic.

Of course, you’re going to call “time gate!”. Quite impractical to say that actually because the time devoted into getting the relic otherwise would be the same anyway minus the 10 day delay.

I deleted my alts today.

kKagari.6804

And lets put it this way; why do people call WoW a gear grind. You don’t HAVE to grind BiS gear to run raids. You can always wait until a season of pvp is over to purchase last season’s gear. I suppose that makes WoW a completely gear grind free game too!