I don't like how this game handles gear.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vyniea.2054

Vyniea.2054

First, I absolutely love this game and I’ve had a blast playing it so far, but there is one thing I really dislike about this game and it’s the way gear is handled.

Gearing up is boring, simply put.

Now I bet you guys will assume that I’ll talk about WoW and no end-game gear treadmill but.. no! I’ll actually compare the way GW2 handles gearing up with a favorite mmo of mine which while has many flaws made gearing up extremely fun, Ragnarok Online.

Alright so the first thing I don’t like about how gearing up is handled in GW2 is that you need to be at or close to max level to start building up what will be your permanent equipment, why? Because lower level items will become completely obsolete as you level, so you’ll have to replace them.

The way RO handled equipment was different, the strength of a piece of gear wasn’t dependent of its level requirement (in fact most items had low level requirements), so a sword you could drop at level 5 from a crappy mob that had no special attacks could actually be more viable in PvP than another sword that was dropped from a super strong boss. And it was great, because you could start working toward your ultimate gear at level 5, and it was great because it broadened your options of things to do. Don’t feel like leveling? Go into one of the dozens of areas your character can tackle and try getting that bow of yours, and maybe some mats to upgrade it.

Each piece of gear was unique too, and most if not all weren’t part of a set, so you’d quest for single pieces of equipment instead of doing dungeons over and over for a whole set. When people talked about gear it was ‘’ Go for +int gear for your mage ’’, it was ‘’ Well you’d better get a Valkyrie Shield, and the Wool Scarf+Tidal Shoes combo’’, you weren’t questing for items with specific stats, but for the items themselves, and specific monsters dropped those items so you just had to go kick their behind and get your item, no millions of dungeons runs required.

Sure, the game was a grind but it didn’t change the fact that the idea was extremely good and so so so nice for the player.

Second thing I don’t really like about gearing up in GW2 is that pretty much every single upgrade component boosts stats, 2 items will boost different stats but it’s pretty much all there is to it, stat boosts. There are those rare sigils that have more interesting effects like +3% damage against a certain monster type or some kind of proc but their effect is so weak (or on such an insane cooldown) that stat boost upgrades are always the better option, the only notable exception is the Sigil of Superior Earth, but it’s really the only one. At least rune combos give bonus durations on conditions or boons, otherwise it’d be extremely boring.

Now to go back to Ragnarok Online, the way it handled equipment slottable upgrades is stellar, and in my opinion there is not a single mmo that has done it better. The game used cards, which were dropped by monsters at an absurdly low chance (0.01%, but the grind is not what this topic is about), each card could go in a specific piece of equipment, be it Armor (chest piece), boots, garment, headgear, accessory, shield or weapon and EVERY SINGLE CARD had a different effect, some could even combo with each others!

(There was a ton of them too check this out, and it’s not even all of them!)

The effects weren’t only stat boosts too, you had them sure, but you also had bonus damage against specific types of monsters (as well as monster sizes and elements), experience boosts against specific types of monsters, cards that gave you a chance to drop items on kill, cards that had some kind of proc effect, cards that gave you new skills (like a teleport skill, a low level heal skill or a hide skill), cards that reduced damage from certain elements/monsters and even cards that changed the element of your character (which was neutral by default).

Cont in next post.

(edited by Vyniea.2054)

Vyniea.2054

The amount of customization was OFF THE CHART, you could make yourself tons of different pieces of equipment that would be used depending on where you were to go. About to go in a volcano? Better equip that anti-fire gear and that +80% damage against fire monsters! Going into a pyramid full of undead? Take this anti-undead sword and those scrolls that will make your sword fire element so you do 50% more damage to them, on top of the +80% from cards! You could get a whole set of headgears with different cards in them each giving you immunity against a condition, be it blind, stun, silence, etc.

In GW2 and modern mmo when you gear up you think ‘’ I’ll take this precision gear, so I crit more.. yeah. ’’

I wish those ideas from this old game could be implemented in a modern mmo (because RO is unplayable now, since the renewal and well, that kitten grind), it would be absolutely glorious.

Tl;dr version:

• You can only work toward getting the best gear at or close to max level
  • In the game I’m comparing GW2 to (Ragnarok Online) you can start working toward the best gear as soon as you start playing
  • Upgrades components are no fun since it’s all stat boosts with rare exceptions
  • In RO there are tons and tons of different cards to slot in your items, and they have tons of different and interesting effects.
  • I wish there was a way to implement RO’s feature in a modern MMO like GW2

Anyway, I get that it’s probably too late to change how gear is handled in GW2 so I’m pretty much just ranting there, I still would like to see what my fellow Tyrians think of the way gear is handled in this game and modern mmos in general. I’ll say it again though, I absolutely love GW2 in its current state, even with its flaws and I would never be able to go back to any other mmo again. Thanks Anet for this amazing game.

I tip my hat to you people who will read everything!

Posted by: Hotdogs.8934

Hotdogs.8934

Some thoughts that I haven’t put much thought into:

Upgrades with fun should not be tied to armor, why not tie them to traits or something easier to obtain so that it is more accessable.

Less is more. In gw1 you had extreme customization of skills, but arenanet have changed the system to be more restrictive.

Vyniea.2054

We would need a ton of traits though!

And all the fun imo is going out in the field and getting those items, if you have them all right there in a list it’s not as fun!

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Your argument is flawed.

You state that you can’t start working towards end game gear in early game, but you do. You buy end game gear with Karma, which you start earning at level 1. This whole post is moot.

Also, RO was utter tripe.

Vyniea.2054

Maybe, but all that gear you can buy with karma you can’t equip until level 80 so it’s still not fun, the whole fun is about being able to find gear you can equip at low level that will stay useful throughout the whole levelling process and even after you’ve caped!

At the moment anything but level 80 gear is just placeholder gear that’ll end up being replaced.

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

I did play RO ages ago. The grind was unbearable. I do agree that having unique effects for upgradeables is a good idea. We do have that with runes to an extent, but it would be nice to see more options. It would be similar to equippable traits.

Your argument is flawed.

You state that you can’t start working towards end game gear in early game, but you do. You buy end game gear with Karma, which you start earning at level 1. This whole post is moot.

To be fair, the amount of karma that you make early on is so negligible that I don’t think it sums up to anything significant when it comes to, let’s say, 42k karma exotic gear.

Posted by: kroney.9462

kroney.9462

I did play RO ages ago. The grind was unbearable. I do agree that having unique effects for upgradeables is a good idea. We do have that with runes to an extent, but it would be nice to see more options. It would be similar to equippable traits.

Your argument is flawed.

To be fair, the amount of karma that you make early on is so negligible that I don’t think it sums up to anything significant when it comes to, let’s say, 42k karma exotic gear.

True. I had about 9200 or so at lvl 40without spending a single piece. In less than a day i made 20k doing zerg runs in straits..

Posted by: dadamowsky.4692

dadamowsky.4692

The best gearing system so far was invented with Diablo, and came to it’s top in D2. Random stats on different item tiers, with uniques (and sometimes rares) from mid lvl cap viable in late game due to very lucky or very usefull roll- I can’t possibly think why does MMOs do not pursue this model. I’m pretty sure that Blizz is not another Apple sueing for the ideas implemented.

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

The reason for the gear stat set ups, is the same reason they included trait tiers and set weapon skills. Balancing.

This game has much more complex systems in combat. Not only do they have to consider the balance of class v class in pve and pvp, but they have to consider how that stacks up when you add in things like combos, boons and conditions. The only way to make sure there aren’t uber builds is to limit what people have access to or there will always be uber stats/or skills/ or trait builds.

Imagine this. you have 2 people who play together.

1 person specs EVERYTHING for condition damage and duration, the other specs everything for boon and condition duration.

Duration throws out the field, Damage uses them in a combo, and all the sudden you have an uber group. The only way to keep this from happening was to make sure the stat set-up in gear/upgrades is not individually done, but in sets, just like the traits and weapon skills.

It’s the only way to keep from having people select a defined support/tank/damage roll.

(edited by zaxziakohl.5243)

Posted by: Narane.3825

Narane.3825

GW2 isn’t RO.

As a tradition passed down from GW1 to make the game more competitive and less grind-based (ie. the furthest thing possible from RO’s design), gears are standardized. No one is going to be particularly more effective than the other just by having spent several hundred hours more into game time; you always have a chance at becoming just as powerful without grinding or farming.

You certainly have to play a bit more if you want the ‘perfect’ equipment for every one of your equipment slots; but in all honesty, unless you’ve been completely out of luck all the time, you should at least have gear that contain 95~100% of the stats, and maybe 2/3 of the stat boosts that you actually want. Trying to get any more is just OCD telling you to do so.

That said, accessories ruin this design for GW2. Accessories are incredibly difficult to acquire without crafting, and getting ‘perfect’ accessories seem to mostly equate to “Ecto farming in Orr”.