I don't really understand specialization

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

after looking at the guardian specialization, i don’t really understand it because why would anyone NOT go into specialization especially if it adds bonus effects while retaining the current effects?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Because an elite specialization takes one of your specialization slots.

You may want a build that uses things from 3 of the core trait lines, and uses nothing from any elite specialization.

If you equip an elite specialization, you can only have 2 slots left for core specializations.

Also, over time more specializations will be added.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

i see… it so unds like elite specialization will almost always be taken just because of the overwhelming number of changes that it brings. no trait line is strong enough to overshadow the elite specialization + the heaps of buffs it brings, it seems

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

i see… it so unds like elite specialization will almost always be taken just because of the overwhelming number of changes that it brings. no trait line is strong enough to overshadow the elite specialization + the heaps of buffs it brings, it seems

I think that, once they’re in play, you’ll start finding reasons to not take them. Builds that you enjoy that just don’t work with the Elite Specialization taking up one of the three Specialization slots on the character.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And yet I can already see how Guardians in for example WvW might prefer to stay as regular Guardians based on what we have been shown.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

they are still balancing them, but if you arent into traps, and dont like the bow, you probably have more reason to spec into another line.

classes with weak lines will need to be cleaned up though, and they have to make sure there is some strong synergies between other lines.

right now they seem pretty powerful, but we have yet to play them. Its pretty possible they will be nerfed a bit.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

There’s also the fact that they plan on adding more elite specializations in the future. So eventually we’ll be making a choice between mutually exclusive ones.

That is, if we get to that point without ArenaNet scrapping specializations altogether in favor of some new trait/skill system.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

And yet I can already see how Guardians in for example WvW might prefer to stay as regular Guardians based on what we have been shown.

I don’t know. Against a zerg, several guardians laying “traps” (urgh, I hate that name) like a minefield could be pretty awesome.

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

But will there be any reason, in PVE, to use any skill other that 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

But will there be any reason, in PVE, to use any skill other that 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

I don’t know about you but in PvE I never only spam 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I don’t know. Against a zerg, several guardians laying “traps” (urgh, I hate that name) like a minefield could be pretty awesome.

While at the same time losing out on the support they usually provide.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

While at the same time losing out on the support they usually provide.

Not if traited for it, they can retain a lot of the support they had before while adding new support. Sure some may stay guardians, especially those that don’t use longbow and prefer passive virtues.

The traps look amazing but in an offensive way, the specialization is extremely niche. Where as Chronomancer is Mesmer 2.0. There is very little reasons to not take chronomancer really.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.