I don't see many people in Southsun Cove

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dogsmack.4910

Dogsmack.4910

Why is this map deserted? Why did it fail?
I asked around and most said

Reduced drops
Karkas do 1500-2000 dmg and take too long to kill
Depressing Atmosphere
No Events

Can anyone add to this?

[Thread title edited by moderator for clarity.]

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

Run up to karka>wait for them to throw there white stuff at you>dodge left>dodge right> kill, (this is with warrior though :P), all in all it takes about 8 seconds, and this is with my green MF gear. Plus at karka shells at 8 silver a pop now, im making a killing on’em. The bots though, all of them underwater farming powerful blood from the skelk, and armored scales from the sharks shivers

Posted by: Banjal.7328

Banjal.7328

Southsun Cove is one of the most boring zones I ever been in,I hope they put more time into the next level 80 zone.

Posted by: Dogsmack.4910

Dogsmack.4910

Yeh i didnt have too much trouble solo’ing 1 karka at a time with warrior but 2 or 3 minced me,all i get is crab meat lol

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

No story progress, no interesting event = no people
They should keep the champion Karka event repeating like dragon event.
The DE is boring and lack of diversities.

(edited by nelopp.6140)

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

The zone is simply a daily farmable ore node, that’s it. I go once every day on my mains to do the rich node and leave – there is nothing worth hanging around for as the drops aren’t good enough.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

(edited by MajorMelchett.6042)

Posted by: ley.8973

ley.8973

I kind of expected we would actually continue to colonize the island as we did in the launching event. Under the current state of things, the zone is quite pointless.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

This is what happens when you have a monthly event-based release schedule. Realistically, there just isn’t the time to be creative, think through, and reality-test anything you do. Placing one rich ori node will draw some industrious folk, but, realistically, there is nothing to do there and the place is not fun to explore.

Posted by: LemurTron.9261

LemurTron.9261

No story progress, no interesting event = no people
They should keep the champion Karka event repeating like dragon event.
The DE is boring and lack of diversities.

this ^^

if you port down to the SW waypoint (nearest waypoint to get to rich ori), the DE (gather karka eggs) is always stagnant. I wonder if Anet has done any metrics to see how often that DE gets completed in a week…. The other DEs seem equally ignored.

people just gather some resources and try to avoid the champ karka as best they can. Sometimes a kind soul will lead the champ karka down the ramp a bit to give some of the less “avoidant” professions a better shot at the rich ori.

That’s my take on South Sun. Karka shell droprate seems under or around 10% from the youth karkas.. and it takes 1K of them to get an earring piece so.. that’s a lot of grinding for an earring that was given away to everyone for free.. unless 8s per karka shell is worth the time grinding karkas at 10%ish drop rate? meh

Anet should spend a little time making South Sun worth visiting again, chain the DEs and give them better rewards. Rethink the purpose of the champ karka and give people a reason to kill it rather than avoid it. Atm South Sun seems very beta-ish

(edited by LemurTron.9261)

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

Some events and a dungeon could’ve been cool… the events to keep people playing in the zone, the dungeon for some lore and skins specific to the zone (like Polynesian tribal looks almost).

Posted by: Lwio.7942

Lwio.7942

Nothing to do and little rewards. 1 shell in 10 kills waste of time.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Well I have no problem with young karkas they are easy to kill for me at least I pull 2-4 at the time and kill em, I think veteran mobs blocking the way, wind riders and reef drakes with insane stacks of confusion (or was it daze?) is the reason why not many people bother.

And seeing lack of events is also depressing. Which is shame because I like the design of the place. And events that are there reset after like 2 minutes of completion so there is no point in doing them more then 1-2 times.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

They should have added more active stuff there and make it worth killing the mobs. Would have been fun if they added alot of bosses and champions for chance to get good items.

Posted by: AnemoneMeer.7182

AnemoneMeer.7182

There’s not really much to draw people there. You can make alot of money there with a team, sure, but there isn’t much reason to actually go outside of that. You also never really get told to go there no matter what you do.

I personally like it there, but don’t really do any world PvE at all.

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Look, I’m sure that if the drops were better or there was some sort of unique reward or secondary progression towards killing a lot of karka, people would get groups together and stomp the big karka in the zone. The thing is there isn’t anything great. 8 silver a shell sounds nice, and I might go there and farm some of that, but I tell ya I wont be sticking around there.

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

It suffers from the same disease that is killing Orr:

All the enemies are annoying as kitten.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I have only been there once since the one time karka event. Even the farming nodes aren’t worth the hassle, there’s just nothing going on there.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

Good. Stay out. It’s my favorite farm and the fewer people using it the less likely they are to kitten the drop rates more.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

It isnt just a matter of not having enough to do there.

The game has fallen victim to the issue of giving us to much to do in to many different places. Lvl 80s can be split across every zone in the game, dungeons, fractals, sPvP, WvW and the lookieloos in LA (compounded further by holiday events).

This gives the feeling of the zones being dead – especially on worlds like mine where the population is struggling already (listed as high right now).

Creative implementation of overflow (underflow?) servers into the game would probably fix this and make all of these zones much more interesting.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

To be fair, I don’t go to Orr hardly ever, either.

To solo the same couple static events — really tedious when you’re the only one getting golem parts or karka eggs. Basically the same gather-up quests you’d do in WoW.

I much prefer the setting of Southsun over Orr, but it’s not fun to play there.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It suffers from the same disease that is killing Orr:

All the enemies are annoying as kitten.

I think you are right here and Orr would have killed itself over time; FotM just hastened its demise. We could use a fun and creatively, as opposed to annoyingly, challenging level 80 area. Hard to pull off, but it will eventually be in the game.

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

Drops are nerfed. But I still go there and enjoy the lack of “competition” with mobs. I will just bring 5 friends (even just 2 players is enough) and farm to your hearts content. For more than 5-man team, the team should divide their farming route.

A good run can net you a pretty good penny. Remember, with good demand and less supply, you can pretty much command how you price the drops

So the more players that ignore that place, find that place boring/annoying/hard whatever, the better for our rag tag team

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Grunties.6841

Grunties.6841

I like farming there, I actually like hunting under water, but I have to compete with the same bots I have been seeing for weeks. Once I think I accidentally swam away from too many mobs and passed a bot and he got killed.

The karka are annoying, and the zone is uglier even than Orr. Agree is it mostly a dead zone. Waste.

Posted by: Avan.1540

Avan.1540

Anet is planning on expanding the events there… sometime. When? No idea. :P

20+ Charracters – Charr only player – NA Kaineng
Give Charr armor some more love!
Let us show our spots, stripes, or lack-there-of in style.

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

It was one, if not THE best farming area of the game when released. Bots killed it.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

Posted by: wiloman.8613

wiloman.8613

Anet is planning on expanding the events there… sometime. When? No idea. :P

When it’s ready xD

I personally have only been there for the release and I dont feel the desire to go back there… Plus with the drop nerf thing there is really no point going there if it’s not for the world completion

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

This problem was created by “them” (since invoking “their” name = ban) when they implemented FotM and Ascended gear extremely poorly (not making other methods of getting the same rewards etc.).

Even literally seconds of thinking about the effects of FotM and Ascended gear on the rest of the game could have prevented this, but I guess it’s more important to cater to masochistic WoW-grind lovers than to actually make sure the changes to your game don’t obsolete 99% of the content in it.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

The new drops fix uses the bags that have T6 items in them, no Karka ever drops bags. So we are seeing an increase of players in the gorge and orr for higher chances of getting bags.

Personally I’d love to find out from someone which types of orrians drop the bags the most and if they used a small mf boost like food to get the bags to drop more often?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: KWman.3012

KWman.3012

I forgot I could go there.

Yes, I am a Champion of an Egg.

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

The new drops fix uses the bags that have T6 items in them, no Karka ever drops bags. So we are seeing an increase of players in the gorge and orr for higher chances of getting bags.

And everyone completely forgot about the increased drop rates of Passion Flowers… which sell for 50s+. Its not that there’s nothing profitable in SSC, its just that everyone overlooks it in favor of kill X for Y.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate