I don't understand the opposition to mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yes, we indeed have had complaints about this issue. I’m glad its never bothered you, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Classic “I haven’t seen it, therefore it doesn’t exist” syndrome.

Pretty much, yah,What do you want me to say? I haven’t had any issues with it, so I can’t relate that it’s a problem, that’s just life.

You didn’t need to say anything. I’m sure there are lots of people that have never had an issue with it. Like I said, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Kalendraf.9521

Kalendraf.9521

There are hundreds of waypoints and several asura gates in place to provide nearly instantaneous transportation between map locations. On top of that, the maps are relatively small, and the distances from a waypoint or gate can be quickly traversed using normal movement. As a result, mounts are not needed in GW2.

HoD – [CV] Charter Vanguard

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

There’s nothing wrong with a game having mounts so people can get around faster. Overall, they appear to be very popular in the MMOs that have them. For whatever reason, GW2 decided not to have them. Maybe they just wanted to be different. Maybe they didn’t want to do the work of making them and sustaining them. Maybe they thought players would think the map waypoint system would be way cooler or more convenient.

Overall, I think the waypoint system is more convenient. But on maps where they’ve – chosen not to have very many – that’s when I think a mount system would be more convenient since I can get out my mount anywhere.

I seriously doubt, however, that the non-mount system will be changed. I think they’d make a killing in the gem store with them, but then they’d also have to deal with an entirely new system they’ve never had before, so I don’t think it will happen.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Are there reasons why Anet and GW2 players are opposed to them that I’m missing? Wanting to be different isn’t really a good enough one.

Wanting GW2 to be like other games isn’t a good enough reason to add them. There are 100s of other things I think would be more fun, more useful than mounts.

Besides that, Tyrians don’t really use mounts. Outside of airships and the occasional bit in the story, everyone uses asura tech of some sort, gliders, or other non-mounted transportation. If the NPCs don’t need mounts, I don’t see why players do.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

There’s nothing wrong with a game having mounts so people can get around faster. Overall, they appear to be very popular in the MMOs that have them. For whatever reason, GW2 decided not to have them. Maybe they just wanted to be different. Maybe they didn’t want to do the work of making them and sustaining them. Maybe they thought players would think the map waypoint system would be way cooler or more convenient.

Overall, I think the waypoint system is more convenient. But on maps where they’ve – chosen not to have very many – that’s when I think a mount system would be more convenient since I can get out my mount anywhere.

I seriously doubt, however, that the non-mount system will be changed. I think they’d make a killing in the gem store with them, but then they’d also have to deal with an entirely new system they’ve never had before, so I don’t think it will happen.

I’m going to respond to this directly, with something I already said.

I don’t have any issues with mounts.

We already have: a Magic Carpet mount, a Flying Broom mount, and a Tunneling Drill mount.

Now, before anyone says anything about how those are not “mounts” we as players can already outrun Moa’s Giant Dogs, Wolves, Deers, Panthers, Lions, and all manner of animals that would be faster then horses, any animal we could use as a mount in GW2 would in fact run slower then we can, so Mounts would purely exist for cosmetic purposes, assuming they did not in fact slow us down.

With that understood, I could see other kinds of fun mounts, like maybe a Miniature Tricycle, Pogo Stick, an Asura style “Hoverboard”, or a Charr Gear Bike. There is a whole realm of ideas for cosmetic Mounts in GW2. Including, for those that would want it, the iconic majestic stallion, perhaps made of fire or even as a steam creature, that leaves flaming hoof prints. But regardless of what mount we had, in the end, we would be able to outrun it on our own two feet, because we can outrun everything else.

However, I think the real reason why we don’t have legions of cosmetic mounts, as collectible and available as mini’s, is because no one was really into them, or Anet would have made more of them.

Now if all you need is a Movement Increase, they sell, Speed Boots which will do what you need.

Mounts are purely a cosmetic thing.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

If Anet ever gets around to removing the map size limitation and make one that’s about a quarter the size of all current maps combined, I can imagine that having a themed map with far less waypoints and available mounts would be neat (ie it wouldnt affect the rest of the mount-less world).

Otherwise, I fail to see the point. You want to see how kittening kittenty mounts can be? Look at BDO. Oh hey look I just logged on and got 30m, lets do a dungeon with some friends! Wait nwn I’m on the other side of the kittening world and it’ll take 20m of autorunning to get to my friends. And my horse just ran straight into a river and died. And I got 150% carrying weight because the flower I just picked up is made of a neutron star. kitten.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The opposition is pretty easy to see actually. You have a developer that can’t deliver on Legendary weapons. You must see how pushing for mounts is less sensible.

Two Words: Gem Store

That shows a large lack of understanding. We already know that for mounts, you need more than a skin to purchase in the gem store for them to work ingame. Anet would have to charge phenomenal amounts just to cover the dev costs for mounts.

Posted by: graymouser.4698

graymouser.4698

But simply the statement: “we don’t need horses because we have fast travel” is a 1oo% non-argument for me

We should base ourselves on immersion and lore when making a decision on horses.

It’s the ‘immersion and lore’ argument that doesn’t hold any water, sorry. In RL horses for travel all but disappeared because of the automobile showing up… cars are faster, easier, and cheaper to use. If cheap and accessible teleportation were to become widely available, automobiles would go the way of the horse.

Well, in GW2 there IS teleportation, as well as modes of travel that are cheaper and easier to use from an immersion standpoint. Horses/mounts are absolutely irrelevant in this context.

From a business standpoint adding in mounts would be time and energy spent making something that’s NOT special in comparison to other MMOs, and thus just ‘reinventing the horse.’ Faster travel that is special to GW2 (such as teleportation and gliding) is a much better use of ANet’s labor than being derivative. It’s that fact that gives the “we already have teleportation” argument more validity, even if you (and others) feel it’s a non-argument.

~EW

You made a decent point there but its not a strong one: if teleportation takes away the need for mounts, then why are npc’s still using oxes for transporting materials?

Just like trains do not make cars obsolete, teleportation does not take away the convenience of horses or other personal mounts or personal mechanical transportation.
With a horse you can easily go from your house to a nearby market, bar, river (to fish) while teleports have fixed start and end points. For personal freedom and for combat a horse is superior to teleports.

That said I would have no issue with Arenanet taking the teleports out of the game, they are only there for laziness sake anyway

In a pre-mechanised world mounts are simply a realistic development.

And if magic is of such common and powerful scale that it can provide all levels of transportation for every citizen then we might just as well throw away our rusty swords :p Such kind of powerful accessible magic would make any instrumental or mechanical item obsolete.

Imo fast travel and teleports are a cheap way for devs to cover up game-technical shortcomings and to provide a convenient way for 21st century casual players – who as kids got everything presented to them on a silver plate – with frustration free game time.

But I say to this: trying to avoid all frustration at any cost will eventually lead to less joy/happiness/satisfaction.

And to the argument that it’s foolish to talk about realism in a fantasy world I say this:

Fantasy is not devoid of reality. Fantasy is using our memory of images of real world objects, events and persons to invent new imaginary universes.

If a fantasy world would have no realism whatsoever then we could not even imagine it.

Also if we do not at all take in account realism then our fantasy world will be come so surrealistic that we loose interest/attraction.

It is exactly the resemblance of the real world merged with greater freedom of creativity and the significant up-scaling of how easy it is to attain/satisfy our desire (for aggression, joy, possession, power….) that makes fantasy worlds worthwhile.

This is also what movies and books are about…

Anyway if such arguments would come from people who actually play for the lore and immersion then it would be a worthwhile discussion.
But most anti-arguments here come from people who play the game for other reasons, which are just as well genuine and justified.

It would be better if you just said it like it is: “for me convenience of game play is superior to lore, immersion and rp, therefor I am against mounts”. Nothing wrong with that.
But at least we then all know which is our position and the discussion would lead to more clarity instead of more confusion….

Cheers!

Gray

(edited by graymouser.4698)

Celtic Lady.3729

We already have: a Magic Carpet mount, a Flying Broom mount, and a Tunneling Drill mount.

Now, before anyone says anything about how those are not “mounts” we as players can already outrun Moa’s Giant Dogs, Wolves, Deers, Panthers, Lions, and all manner of animals that would be faster then horses, any animal we could use as a mount in GW2 would in fact run slower then we can, so Mounts would purely exist for cosmetic purposes, assuming they did not in fact slow us down.

With that understood, I could see other kinds of fun mounts, like maybe a Miniature Tricycle, Pogo Stick, an Asura style “Hoverboard”, or a Charr Gear Bike. There is a whole realm of ideas for cosmetic Mounts in GW2. Including, for those that would want it, the iconic majestic stallion, perhaps made of fire or even as a steam creature, that leaves flaming hoof prints. But regardless of what mount we had, in the end, we would be able to outrun it on our own two feet, because we can outrun everything else.

However, I think the real reason why we don’t have legions of cosmetic mounts, as collectible and available as mini’s, is because no one was really into them, or Anet would have made more of them.

Now if all you need is a Movement Increase, they sell, Speed Boots which will do what you need.

A speed boost is temporary. Given a choice, I’d rather have a one-time purchase of a mount for always rather than a speed boost I have to keep buying. And if they made the mounts run faster than we already do, their use would be more than cosmetic.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

How is this not merged into the Mounts thread yet? It is exactly the same discussion that’s been held every single time this topic comes up.

Posted by: graymouser.4698

graymouser.4698

How is this not merged into the Mounts thread yet? It is exactly the same discussion that’s been held every single time this topic comes up.

There must be some hidden psychological reason for this…

And it comes back again and again because apparently many ppl keep being disappointed about this…. Its says something…

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Every time someone farts out some comment like “Mounts have no place in GW2!” or “Mounts will ruin the game!” I’m just sitting here on my flying carpet wondering what their definitions of those terms are…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

STIHL.2489

A speed boost is temporary. Given a choice, I’d rather have a one-time purchase of a mount for always rather than a speed boost I have to keep buying. And if they made the mounts run faster than we already do, their use would be more than cosmetic.

We can already run faster then horses, as such a mount in GW2 is Purely Cosmetic.

STIHL.2489

That shows a large lack of understanding. We already know that for mounts, you need more than a skin to purchase in the gem store for them to work ingame. Anet would have to charge phenomenal amounts just to cover the dev costs for mounts.

Eh? we already have a Broom, a Flying Carpet, and a tunneler, what’s the big deal?

Celtic Lady.3729

We can already run faster then horses, as such a mount in GW2 is Purely Cosmetic.

You’re not making any sense. I’m saying that if they added mounts that they specifically made to move faster than we do running, then the mounts wouldn’t be purely cosmetic.

Posted by: Vephar.8475

Vephar.8475

No. Please for the love of Dwayna no! Everytime I am in an MMO and I see a mount I want to barf, they are just screen clutter and it’s a mess. Could you imagine how disgusting a zerg would look if you added mounts? Oh sweet Melandru…

At least in other MMOs mounts make some sense because it gets you around faster, but in GW2 it doesn’t even make sense, we have so many speed buffs, waypoints and Asura gates.

Posted by: Vephar.8475

Vephar.8475

Eh? we already have a Broom, a Flying Carpet, and a tunneler, what’s the big deal?

Because the broom is a tiny little stick and the carpet is a tiny, flat rug. I’m assuming people who are asking for mounts are asking for FULL SIZED animals to ride like horses or other FULL SIZED animals from around Tyria?

Posted by: Rio.4259

Rio.4259

Because the broom is a tiny little stick and the carpet is a tiny, flat rug. I’m assuming people who are asking for mounts are asking for FULL SIZED animals to ride like horses or other FULL SIZED animals from around Tyria?

Now I want a full-sized Tequatl mount.

But really, I could swear this exact same topic with the exact same wording was posted a few months ago. Its like the same few people keep copy/pasting it every 3 months. >.>

STIHL.2489

You’re not making any sense. I’m saying that if they added mounts that they specifically made to move faster than we do running, then the mounts wouldn’t be purely cosmetic.

You are suggesting they put in some stupid store item I need to buy to maintain optimal run speed? No thanks.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

All arguments against mounts in game were invalidated when gliders were introduced.

How so? Gliding is just falling down but at a slower speed. Nothing to do with mounts. You may as well say that we should have mounts because we have swimming too.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

This post is an example of why people don’t want mounts. Basically, what your asking for is power creep. Once the power creep is introduced, then every one has to buy the item to keep up.

Also, many times there are too many people for my mini to be displayed. Mounts will only make that happen more often.

No mounts.

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

The problem, though is that the arguments in opposition to having them are just much weaker than the arguments in favor of having them. I’d like to understand why there’s an opposition.

They could easily just make them not usable in certain areas, like cities and major events.

Then let me provide you with my own argument. Mounts are just not needed. There are plenty of WPs located in the world and with the 19th patch making more HoT WPs being uncontested gives you more point ports. Plus almost all classes now are capable of maintaining a permanent speed increase so moving between WPs is super easy and fast.

The opposition is that mounts with a speed boost are not needed and we’ve already seen that people don’t want cosmetic mounts or else Anet would of continued making those instead of leaving it at the 3 we have now.

Lets also not forget that there could be some technical limitations that we can’t see that could be preventing this from happening.

Now for the arguments being weak, well my friend, that is subjective. You see the arguments as weak because you want mounts.

All together now…Please hold the beat….

And yet posting a gif of Jim Carry beating up an animatronic cow from the movie Me, Myself, and Irene is offensive lol. I guess that’s what I get for trying to shake things up from the typical dead horse gifs.

(edited by ImTasty.2163)

Celtic Lady.3729

You are suggesting they put in some stupid store item I need to buy to maintain optimal run speed? No thanks.

No, I’m not suggesting that. lol

STIHL.2489

Since players would not be able to use them in combat, it not like there would be a mounted cavalry charging Jormag or something, I am not grasping your problem.

I mean, in reality, they could put in a Motorcycle of Charr design, which I am sure would be a popular seller, to get the ball rolling, then, they re-skin that bike, with some other pattern, maybe give it an Asura design, and make a bit more money, as people squee over it. Like they did for the Wings.

If that makes them some good money, they could toss in some other designs that would be good sellers.

It’s not like anyone is going to get hurt if someone else buys a cosmetic mount, so let people get their kicks to have their fancy mounts, maybe Anet could make some money, and like so many other things, we can give it a few months and the novelty will die away and people will stop asking for ‘mounts’

I am sure there would always be that guy that would pull out their Mount and charge Shatter or something, but, it’s no different then say people transforming into a giant snowballs, or dropping Bobble head laboratories, let people have their fun, they let you have your fun your way, allow them the same.

If some people are just too over sensitive, I guess Anet could put in some “Hide Mounts” graphic option for those people who just can’t handle it, but, even that should not be that much work.

(edited by STIHL.2489)

STIHL.2489

So what exactly are you suggesting?

As I see it.

Cosmetic Mounts that do nothing but Look cool = Good!

Function Mounts that I am obligated to buy to maintain top run speed = Bad.

So what are you advocating they put in the game?

Celtic Lady.3729

So what exactly are you suggesting?

As I see it.

Cosmetic Mounts that do nothing but Look cool = Good!

Function Mounts that I am obligated to buy to maintain top run speed = Bad.

So what are you advocating they put in the game?

I’m not suggesting they put anything in the game. My comments in this thread dealt exclusively with a general opinion on convenience and cosmetic vs. functional.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

The problem with mounts and I’m not saying I’m for or against, just using logic, is that you can safely go by content that perhaps is designed not to go buy. It’s why that other leading brand doesn’t allow it with new content.

Since GW’s content is fun from Level 1 to Mastery Level 1,000,000 there is no need to want to just trivialize it. They have the way points strategically placed, it allows fast traveling for us and then earn at least a little bit going the distance needed.

Probably want it more for vanity… But I feel I gave some sound reasoning why not.

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

I’m not opposed to it. I just don’t see a need for it.

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

The reasons for not having mounts

1. The Map Zone Design- Since each map in instance and doesn’t have that glued together feel that wow has, mounts simply make less sense. The zones are relatively small. so a speed boost mount could harm experience.

2. Aesthetic disaster- Have you ever seen an animal at full speed make a 90 degree instant turn in real life? Neither have I, and seeing that would have some realism issues.

3. Unnecessary strain on servers and clients. – GW2 is a beautiful game. Many resources are already being used for the landscape, armor, pets, etc. Imagine for every person in a map zone they have a mount. That sounds like more workload for the server and client.

4. Allocating Anet resources to mount system instead of other areas to the game. -
What is put on the back burner because of creating and maintaining a mount system?

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

If that’s your definition of mounts, then /thread?

I think you and everyone else are fully aware that those are not the mounts people are after, otherwise these threads would cease to exist.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

make it feel more immersive.

Yes….staring at some random animal’s kitten is soooo immersive while trying to get the to NPC they are standing on, in, or otherwise in the way of.

/sarcasm off

That’s… really not that much of a problem in other MMOs.

It’s one I almost always run into. I just…don’t enjoy staring at some creature’s rump. Whether I’m trying to get to an NPC, or if I’m just standing around and someone decides they want to be a jerk. Hell, we have issues with people using tonics and intentionally trolling people by stacking on event NPCs and such. I can only imagine what they’d do if you gave them mounts to do that kitten with.

True story: I do this for work. I don’t want to bring my work home so you keep fighting the good fight.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Why no mounts? While the waypoints make it moot, it’s much simpler: server overload.

There’s a reason our minis disappear when the server population is at a certain point. Mounts would make it even worse. Could you imagine the outcry if they removed mounts when the population reached a certain point? Thus . . . no mounts.

Server strain is the answer.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Instead of mounts, I’d be happy with more jump pads all over the place. It’s like a little wintersday every time I see one.

And if they would throw you in whichever direction you were facing rather than some preset direction, that would be a ten wintersdays rolled into one.

STIHL.2489

If that’s your definition of mounts, then /thread?

I think you and everyone else are fully aware that those are not the mounts people are after, otherwise these threads would cease to exist.

The thing is, that is what should be done to resolve the entire issue.

In the current form of GW2, everything is mainly cosmetic. Why not Mounts?

There is no reason for mounts to be treated as anything other then a Cosmetic Item, for all the same reasons why people say don’t put them in the game. But by putting them in the game in the cosmetic sense, that resolves all the issues, from all sides.

I am sure Anet would make some serious sales, if they made the ‘mounts’ in this game more kitten then they currently are.

For example, Imagine, a Mini-Teq Hover Rider (Think what Hobgoblin from Sipderman Comics/Movie rides on), which they could then re-skin with Shatter, and every other Dragon Herald, and people would snatch those up that like there was no tomorrow.

I know I have said this a few times, but Charr Drive War Machines, put in a Charr Inspired Motorcycle design, and even if to just ride (read ‘run’) around Lions Arch, people will get a kick out of it, add some sounds, and what have you, a smoke trail, maybe tire tracks. Which they could then Re-Skin with all kinds of Designs, to match all the Black Lion Armor Skins, Imagine a an Ironclad Motorbike to go with the whole set. People would eat that up like Sugar Coated Cheetos and Mountain Dew Cereal.

We all know it too. The only reason why people ask for mounts, is that they don’t look at the “broom” or the “magic carpet” as a mount, it’s as someone else said “Small and Flimsy” it’s not “FULL SIZE” but truth be told, if it was big and wicked looking.. suddenly (Angelic Music) it becomes a mount!

Everyone goes home happy, and these topics die away.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I know I have said this a few times, but Charr Drive War Machines, put in a Charr Inspired Motorcycle design, and even if to just ride (read ‘run’) around Lions Arch, people will get a kick out of it, add some sounds, and what have you, a smoke trail, maybe tire tracks.

If you add collision and an animation for said thing then I’ll back this 100%.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Another thought…. I’m not a broom or carpet guy, but a skateboard. Yes, I’d buy one. It would work just like the broom. No animations needed. Have the character stand in the standard “in combat” stance but without weapon. You’re still running everywhere but now it looks so much cooler, especially when you “ride” off a cliff and switch to glider. xD

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

1. Having a character poof them in out of thin air is not immersive. Immersive would be going to a stable to get them, having to rest them, feed them, pay for their upkeep and return them to the stable when done.

Just to make one thing clear – I’m not arguing for or against mounts here, but to make the case for ultra-realism in a game otherwise featuring magic, insta-teleportation and freaking ghosts seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Immersion is subjective. Magic mounts that disappear and appear at my whim are not in any way immersive to me.

There’s nothing wrong with a game having mounts so people can get around faster.

Unless that game already has a system for getting around faster. I’m talking about speed increases, not WP’s. Mounts that circumvent the choice to spec for speed or not are not a good thing in a game where the build system is already spotty on opportunity costs.

Substance E.4852

Unless that game already has a system for getting around faster. I’m talking about speed increases, not WP’s. Mounts that circumvent the choice to spec for speed or not are not a good thing in a game where the build system is already spotty on opportunity costs.

lol ya we wouldn’t want to shatter that very fragile and oh so important open world pve balance.

We could always disable them in dungeons and other instanced content but that might make us EVEN MORE like WoW.

This is a real catch 22 if I’ve ever seen one…

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

1. Having a character poof them in out of thin air is not immersive. Immersive would be going to a stable to get them, having to rest them, feed them, pay for their upkeep and return them to the stable when done.

Just to make one thing clear – I’m not arguing for or against mounts here, but to make the case for ultra-realism in a game otherwise featuring magic, insta-teleportation and freaking ghosts seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Immersion is subjective. Magic mounts that disappear and appear at my whim are not in any way immersive to me.

There’s nothing wrong with a game having mounts so people can get around faster.

I dont agree this mmorpg needs mounts, maybe if it didnt have waypoints, but do not use the argument of immersive when you can go to a map screen and click the waypoint to instant travel lol that makes no sense.

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

But simply the statement: “we don’t need horses because we have fast travel” is a 1oo% non-argument for me

We should base ourselves on immersion and lore when making a decision on horses.

It’s the ‘immersion and lore’ argument that doesn’t hold any water, sorry. In RL horses for travel all but disappeared because of the automobile showing up… cars are faster, easier, and cheaper to use. If cheap and accessible teleportation were to become widely available, automobiles would go the way of the horse.

Well, in GW2 there IS teleportation, as well as modes of travel that are cheaper and easier to use from an immersion standpoint. Horses/mounts are absolutely irrelevant in this context.

From a business standpoint adding in mounts would be time and energy spent making something that’s NOT special in comparison to other MMOs, and thus just ‘reinventing the horse.’ Faster travel that is special to GW2 (such as teleportation and gliding) is a much better use of ANet’s labor than being derivative. It’s that fact that gives the “we already have teleportation” argument more validity, even if you (and others) feel it’s a non-argument.

~EW

You made a decent point there but its not a strong one: if teleportation takes away the need for mounts, then why are npc’s still using oxes for transporting materials?

Lore says that shipping through Asura gates is prohibitively expensive.

In a pre-mechanised world mounts are simply a realistic development.

Irrelevant. GW2 is mechanized.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Another thought…. I’m not a broom or carpet guy, but a skateboard. Yes, I’d buy one. It would work just like the broom. No animations needed. Have the character stand in the standard “in combat” stance but without weapon. You’re still running everywhere but now it looks so much cooler, especially when you “ride” off a cliff and switch to glider. xD

That’s a great toy idea! An asura designed hover-board perhaps! I’d buy it too!

(Still against mounts before someone jumps on my back!!)

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

STIHL.2489

lol ya we wouldn’t want to shatter that very fragile and oh so important open world pve balance.

It’s not about balance, but lets set this straight, the last thing this game needs is some obnoxious item that we would be obligated to buy from the Gem Store to keep up with the current meta on Run Speed.

While I can see the attraction to the whole “Wicked Looking Mount” much in the same way I can see the attraction to an “Amazing” looking anything, it’s why we farm legendary weapons, spend hundreds of gold and gems on dyes, and outfits, and weapon skins, and a slew of other pretty little items. So I can fully support cosmetic mounts, make them wicked cool looking things we can all show off, like our various gliders, dyes, weapon skins, outfits, none are any better then the other, it’s all a matter of a specific look.

I simply don’t see the attraction to to put in some system were everyone has to pay “a little more to run a little faster”, and thus turning Run Speed into some hackneyed hybrid “Pay to Win” Scheme.

What would even inspire you to want to do that in the first place?

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

I don’t understand the opposition to mounts too.
I know a couple of games with the maps twice smaller, but with mounts. And everyone just happy about their presence.
Ok. I want a horse. I do not care if it will not give me more speed. I just want to feel like those epic characters from artworks (Yeah! There ARE mounts on GW2 artworks and concepts! What would you say about it?).
I’m starting to believe that all this “mount-hatred” is nothing more than GW2 trend of some sort. Like <<Look at me! I hate mounts just like them! I’m cool!>> or <<Other games have mounts, like WoW, and this one is not. I need to show that I am special because I hate WoW. Will demonstrate hatred about everything similar to WoW, and banish to WoW everyone who disagree with me!>>.
No seriously. Most of the arguments – pure nonsense. Like, <<we have waypoints!>>. AND? <<I have lift in my house – why do I need a ladder?>>

STIHL.2489

That’s a great toy idea! An asura designed hover-board perhaps! I’d buy it too!

(Still against mounts before someone jumps on my back!!)

I was already ahead of you on the hover board idea.

But, we already have ‘mounts’ in the game, I am ok with bigger ones, or more extreme ones being put in, as long as they remain cosmetic.

STIHL.2489

I know a couple of games with the maps twice smaller, but with mounts. And everyone just happy about their presence.
Ok. I want a horse. I do not care if it will not give me more speed. I just want to feel like those epic characters from artworks (Yeah! There ARE mounts on GW2 artworks and concepts! What would you say about it?).

This is the best reason to want an mount, and we totally agree!

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

I have no particular bias for or against mounts. If the time was put into them the could be a nice feature. However the time to do that has come and gone. With all the existing stuff there really isn’t a place or the development resources available to add mounts.

So I’d much rather Anet put their development efforts into other areas of the game such as improving WVW, adding fractals, etc.

Posted by: katz.8376

katz.8376

as far as i’m concerned... mounts are cool. sure, i’d love to have a mount. BUT... with the waypoint system and our own personal run speed, we don’t need a functional mount... a purely cosmetic one is more than sufficient.

it’s a high fantasy setting with some mechanical element, so i see no issue with insta-summoning said mount... heck.. any immersion that exists goes right out the window the second you jump off a cliff and your glider magically POOF appears on your back... or the second you see someone named Charrzilla (with lime green "DBZ" hair) or Fruit Loop Warrior or the 6 dozenth Xxxsephirothxxx you’ve seen just this week..

there is precedent in other fantasy settings for magical creatures summoned by spell or connection to a physical item (for example, a figurine of wonderous power from D&D. think Guenhwyvar from the Drizzt stories) so it is not beyond the realm of possibility to summon a horse or a unicorn or a giant riding wolf or a charr-cycle or a mini-dragon stand-on glider or whatever out of thin air.

TL;DR - i’m fine with mounts, as long as they are cosmetic only. and if they introduce a unicorn mount i am SO buying that...

Druids of Dhuum [DoD]|Rally Bait [RALY]
~o hai there :D~ LONG LIVE ET

Posted by: eNeRgOo.5463

eNeRgOo.5463

Mounts topic – check!
Waiting for “Please change Mesmer skills colour” topic!

But for real now. Guild Wars2 and it’s whole world differs from the worlds of other games. It’s not WoW nor League of Legends. Stop pleasing Arenanet to go into other games way. Guild Wars is original, extraordinary and lots of players love that. It’s so annoying when new players come into this game and want to change it because they cannot accept the way it all is or “because x have that so gw2 also must”. Really go back to playing the x then. I even started to think that new players are overall more toxic, wanting weird things and crying over all things when veterans just keep loving Tyria anyway and its players as well. Waypoints are love and life here, accept them and basta! Though Arenanet could colour the Waypoints of HoT for green. That would be so great!

Substance E.4852

I have no particular bias for or against mounts. If the time was put into them the could be a nice feature. However the time to do that has come and gone. With all the existing stuff there really isn’t a place or the development resources available to add mounts.

So I’d much rather Anet put their development efforts into other areas of the game such as improving WVW, adding fractals, etc.

Different people do different things to be honest. Animators aren’t going to have anything to do with WvW revitalization or most of the content in new fractals for instance.

We also know there is a new xpack in early’ish development right now. This is really the best time to be voicing opinions on what kinds of new novelty things we want to see in the next xpack.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

This is the best reason to want an mount, and we totally agree!

I thought the argument was we dont need mounts, of course I want one for style, but I dont know it might look wierd considering the height of the world/landscapes, and the map size.