I feel great!

I feel great!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I took a break from playing around Wintersday event. I usually play GW2 for 2-4 hours a day. (more if i have time) I usually have a game in my browser that I’m workin on. Durring his particular break, there was nothing I wanted to play so I didn’t play at all.

I gotta tell you, I feel great. The aches and pains in my neck, shoulders, right arm and back improved immensely. I thought it was just age creeping up on me. I never realized what a hurting MMO’s were putting on me physcally. Ironicly, I’m in pretty good shape. I run and workout 4-5 times a week.

Am I just the odd man out? Has anyone else experienced this?

I feel great!

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

You should invest some time in investigating your keyboard/mouse/chair setup. I KNOW a bad chair, or non supportive one can bring a lot of discomfort and damage.

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

I feel great!

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

I play from a recliner with a trackball on one arm and a razer nostramo on the other, I feel great too.

I feel great!

SHM.7628

You should invest some time in investigating your keyboard/mouse/chair setup. I KNOW a bad chair, or non supportive one can bring a lot of discomfort and damage.

Thanks, that sounds like sound advice. I think I have a really nice set up now. I have an expensive chair with lots of lumbar support already. Mouse and keyboard feel optimally positioned too. Guess I can experiment with the set up.

I feel great!

SHM.7628

I play from a recliner with a trackball on one arm and a razer nostramo on the other, I feel great too.

sweet

I feel great!

Posted by: DingDon.9580

DingDon.9580

As someone in similar situation I cannot disagree. I’m back after a monthly brake from the games and I already start having problems with evening headaches and morning tiredness despite of very active lifestyle and healthy diet. I had no problem with those during the brake. Unfortunately, even these couple of hours spent in Tyria can be quite damaging for our real “us”.

I feel great!

Posted by: abbetd.5912

abbetd.5912

There was a time I spent far too much time at my computer playing WoW. Didn’t realize the toll it was taking on my body until I took a break. Now that I play GW2, I spend less time playing and balance it out with regular physical activity. The great thing about GW2 that I’ve found is that I can play as little or as much as I feel like without feeling as though I’m falling hopelessly behind in-game. A couple weeks away from WoW, or only playing two or three hours a day, could cause me to miss out on an entire raid tier, putting me behind the curve so to speak.

All that said, I’ve found that it’s entirely possible to play several hours a day if that’s what you like, but balance it out with some physical activities away from the computer.

I feel great!

SHM.7628

As someone in similar situation I cannot disagree. I’m back after a monthly brake from the games and I already start having problems with evening headaches and morning tiredness despite of very active lifestyle and healthy diet. I had no problem with those during the brake. Unfortunately, even these couple of hours spent in Tyria can be quite damaging for our real “us”.

Sorry to hear that. At least I am not alone. I even notice that I sleep better when i don’t play. Can you believe that?

Now that they have the expansion coming out, I was entertaining the thought of playing. However, I am unwiling to suffer physically for a game though.

I feel great!

Monkey Fritz.9052

I suggest focusing on what you are sitting on, and what devices you are using to play.

The most common gaming setup is, inexplicably, the same setup as working a day job in data entry. It’s not really conducive to proper ergonomics in any way. Sitting in a computer chair, hunched over a mouse and keyboard.

I set up a computer chair only if I want to intentionally reduce my play sessions, since it will get so uncomfortable. lol

I feel great!

Posted by: AfterXII.2761

AfterXII.2761

I took a break from playing around Wintersday event. I usually play GW2 for 2-4 hours a day. (more if i have time) I usually have a game in my browser that I’m workin on. Durring his particular break, there was nothing I wanted to play so I didn’t play at all.

I gotta tell you, I feel great. The aches and pains in my neck, shoulders, right arm and back improved immensely. I thought it was just age creeping up on me. I never realized what a hurting MMO’s were putting on me physcally. Ironicly, I’m in pretty good shape. I run and workout 4-5 times a week.

Be sure to invest in a chair with great lumbar support. It will take some of the focus off of your back. Of course, despite these quality of life improvements, it’s always best to get up and move around for a bit every hour or so.

http://gw2shinies.com/ – A Guild Wars 2 Trading Post Service
http://gw2tno.com/ – The Nameless Ones [TNO]

I feel great!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Some basic advice on body posture for gaming and general computer work:

• Chair height should be enough that you can comfortably keep your feet flat on the floor. Frequent tucking and crossing your feet can cause ankle problems.
  • Table height should be level with your forearm resting straight, parallel to the floor. Your wrist should also be straight without too much curve upward or downward. If you use some variety of mouse instead of a trackball, consider getting a gel pad to support your wrist.
  • Screen height should allow you to look straight forward. Try not to lean or hunch, as that throws your upper back out of alignment.
  • Leave your seat at least once an hour. Walk around for a little bit. Extended sitting can cause clots, and it’s been documented to happen in people with more vascularity, so it’s more important for active, fit individuals, especially runners.
Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

I feel great!

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I used to have similar problems which all cleared up when I improved my posture at the keyboard.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

I feel great!

DingDon.9580

Yeah, I guess we all need a better chair… Who knows, maybe it will help. At least, as someone mentioned, GW 2 is much healthier than WoW anyway.

I feel great!

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

You guys having sleep problems and muscle pains… how much do you play in a normal sitting? I’d recommend toning it down a bit.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

I feel great!

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

I often work a lot of night hours, and they have been doing a lot of sleep studies lately. It has come up on social media a couple of times too, but the blue light from monitors and screens like cellphones, tablets, and your computer disrupt your circadian rhythm. If I remember right it inhibits the production of melatonin in your body that helps trigger sleepiness.

In turn if you don’t sleep long enough or restful enough to hit REM, your brain does not repair itself from it’s daily wear and tear, which in turn leads to lack of concentration and possibly memory retention problems. Oh and you are tired a lot too.

At work they suggested at least an hour prior to bed time turn off all light producing electronics to let your body get tired. Don’t know if there is a scientific time, but they were trying to be reasonable and give us suggestions to help sleep better.

I feel great!

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

I do know that games with a lot of activity and energization such as GW2 do need some downtime of close to an hour before bed to wind down the system. While it s a computer games, it is a very attention grasping game with all of the split second dodges, and skill changes. Gets the blood pumping. Not good for winding down.

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

I feel great!

Rauderi.8706

Yeah, I guess we all need a better chair… Who knows, maybe it will help. At least, as someone mentioned, GW 2 is much healthier than WoW anyway.

I wish that were true for a friend of mine. He was 110% jazzed when GW2 was coming, but he got tagged with wrist problems. WoW is less painful to his wrist, and he can’t play GW2 for long. :\

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

I feel great!

Rauderi.8706

I often work a lot of night hours, and they have been doing a lot of sleep studies lately. It has come up on social media a couple of times too, but the blue light from monitors and screens like cellphones, tablets, and your computer disrupt your circadian rhythm. If I remember right it inhibits the production of melatonin in your body that helps trigger sleepiness.

In turn if you don’t sleep long enough or restful enough to hit REM, your brain does not repair itself from it’s daily wear and tear, which in turn leads to lack of concentration and possibly memory retention problems. Oh and you are tired a lot too.

At work they suggested at least an hour prior to bed time turn off all light producing electronics to let your body get tired. Don’t know if there is a scientific time, but they were trying to be reasonable and give us suggestions to help sleep better.

As a note, melatonin is available as an OTC supplement at most pharmacies. I’ve taken it before bed and noticeably slept better through the night. (No, I don’t have stock in it. :P) Not sure if it was the cold or the melatonin boost, but it was also harder to wake me up in the morning. =P

Many alts; handle it!

I feel great!

SHM.7628

Some basic advice on body posture for gaming and general computer work:

• Chair height should be enough that you can comfortably keep your feet flat on the floor. Frequent tucking and crossing your feet can cause ankle problems.
  • Table height should be level with your forearm resting straight, parallel to the floor. Your wrist should also be straight without too much curve upward or downward. If you use some variety of mouse instead of a trackball, consider getting a gel pad to support your wrist.
  • Screen height should allow you to look straight forward. Try not to lean or hunch, as that throws your upper back out of alignment.
  • Leave your seat at least once an hour. Walk around for a little bit. Extended sitting can cause clots, and it’s been documented to happen in people with more vascularity, so it’s more important for active, fit individuals, especially runners.

Great stuff… TY for the info. I’m sure many will benefit from it.

I feel great!

Monkey Fritz.9052

As a note, melatonin is available as an OTC supplement at most pharmacies. I’ve taken it before bed and noticeably slept better through the night. (No, I don’t have stock in it. :P) Not sure if it was the cold or the melatonin boost, but it was also harder to wake me up in the morning. =P

Its good occasionally, and even as an aid to reset your sleep cycle to a different schedule, but shouldn’t be used continuously. It will affect your bodies own production and regulation of it over time. Making the problem worse than without it.

As a note on the blue light thing, it is a good suggestion for people with sleep disorders of just about any kind. The software for adjusting it on the computer automatically to fit your sleep cycle has worked wonders for a lot of people.

Doesn’t work for me though, as I have a non-24 hour sleep cycle and have to change the settings every day, I ended up giving up on it. :P

I feel great!

SHM.7628

You guys having sleep problems and muscle pains… how much do you play in a normal sitting? I’d recommend toning it down a bit.

Well for me, I noticed I sleep better when I don’t play. I wasn’t saying playing caused insomnia.

I was playing 2-4 hours. Occasionally I’d play much longer. Toning it down seems like good advice. However, even toned way down, the pain persisted. (albeit less)

When I don’t play at all = Its pretty much all gone.

I feel great!

Rauderi.8706

At work they suggested at least an hour prior to bed time turn off all light producing electronics to let your body get tired.

Hmm, sounds a lot like Barnes & Noble and yoga propaganda to me. Hmmhmm. I’m on to you.

/snerk

I should remind myself to take a little reading time before bed, actually. I’ve a ton of tabletop roleplaying books I’m delinquent on finishing.

Many alts; handle it!

I feel great!

SHM.7628

I’d like to thank everyone who replied. I wasn’t expecting to get much along the way of replies and useful info. You guys were super helpful.

I feel great!

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

Sadly enough, I used to read a lot when I was younger. Typically in bed, and that was another “no no” for sleeping. Because it creates habit forming queues for various activities, and some suggest that the bed only be used for sleep activities.

Otherwise you confuse your habitual pattern following brain into thinking, oh I’m in bed…it’s time to read a book and not sleep.

Of course reading in a chair is fine, just avoid doing “awake” activities in bed. (I have a long history of bad sleeping habits and have listened to a lot of advice on how to fix myself).

I feel great!

Rauderi.8706

Otherwise you confuse your habitual pattern following brain into thinking, oh I’m in bed…it’s time to read a book and not sleep.

My brain is firmly of the opinion that bed is for sleep. Firmly. >_>"
Makes it really hard to read in bed, because zonk happens.

Many alts; handle it!

I feel great!

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Can’t say I have much issue and I don’t have anything special (in fact the opposite), just a normal desk with a regular chair (the one with 4 legs). I angle myself sort of keep my body’s center slightly lower, putting my lower shoulders against the back of the chair and leaning away. My arms are straight, from shoulder to wrist and parallel to the ground and I keep my legs slightly bend but also slightly stretched. I never feel pain but I do feel fatigue (no arm rests so my arms are supported by my forearm on the desk) but fatigue is normal when doing most tasks, just take a break.

When I play, I usually play for about 3 hours at a time but I tend to play seldomly, maybe 2-3 times a week. Games tend to refresh me and is a respite from other work that is often times physically demanding (mostly just mentally demanding though).

Just wanted to share a perspective of the opposite side of the fence. I feel great when I log in :P

I feel great!

DingDon.9580

And if the pain doesn’t want to go away, prehaps try something like this…

I feel great!

SHM.7628

My brain is firmly of the opinion that bed is for sleep. Firmly. >_>"
Makes it really hard to read in bed, because zonk happens.

I subscribe to your bedroom for sleep theory. I don’t even keep any electronics in my room. (Unless you count my alarm clock.) There’s just a bed and bedroom furniture.

I feel great!

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yeah my setup isn’t great either. I really should get a more comfortable arrangement.

I feel great!

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

That’s basically how I roll too. Naga in one hand and Nostromo in the other.. stretched back on the leather recliner. ^^

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

I feel great!

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

I play on an old laptop on a kitchen table, sitting on a regular kitchen chair, with a low-end Perixx gaming mouse. If I get aches and pains I eat chocolate and drink tea until they go away. If they don’t go away I drink gin and tonikittenil I don’t notice them any more

So I’d say my setup is pretty much perfect lol