I feel like quitting the game due to Ascended Gear

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Avatar.1923

everybody should be looking for the next best thing.

gw2 will survive, so does ultima online.

but ultimately, mmos are for me very long games that still DO have an ending.

and you deserve better than keep grinding…
so move on.

(and keep your account in case of new content and to wvwvw once it a while…)

pvp is epic in the game, 1 on 1 is cool when it happens.

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

If you’re on the forums right now, you haven’t quit the game over Ascended Gear.

And you’re very likely not going to. You’re either going to:

( a ) quit the game because actually you’ve finished all the content you want to and you’re bored with it;
( b ) quit the game because as a hardcore player you have a high game rotation and honestly you were going to move on to another game soon no matter what GW2 did;
( c ) not quit the game, and keep complaining for another three years; or
( d ) not quit the game, and enjoy it.

Your stereotyping of people is nonsense. I left both WoW and Rift after reaching the level cap and realizing that, unless I wanted to slave myself to a playstyle I did not enjoy, the best gear in the game would be unobtainable. So, contrary to your stereotyping:

1. I did not leave because I had completed all the content or was bored with the game. I had plenty I could still do, and I was, in fact, still enjoying both games.
  2. I did not leave because the next latest and greatest game came out. I left both games because of this issue, not “for” another game. In fact, in the case of leaving WoW, I went back to EQ2, a game I had left for WoW only because a friend I played with wanted to check out WoW.
  3. I did not stick around and complain about it.
  4. I did not stick around for any reason and I have never gone back to either game.

I don’t necessarily agree with the OP’s position. I am not ready to leave GW2 yet because I am waiting to see how they deal with this gear. While the gear is currently available only through running dungeons (which are not my favorite content), they are done with single groups and not larage scale raiding. Since I have people I play with, I can tolerate that, and, to my knowledge, they have not n yet stated that they will only make this gear available through this format. I am concerned that they are making it so that you have to get on a dungeon treadmill (higher and higher fractal levels) to get the best gear, but I can bide my time and see how this plays out and impacts the game.

However, if it becomes clear that the only way to obtain the best gear in the game is to run gear-gated content repetatively and that the gear-gating makes it hard to get with friends who have either moved on to higher tiers or have fallen behind (making it even more mind-numbingly repetative), forcing me to have to rely on PuGs to get the gear, I want nothing to do with it. If they do not make the gear obtainable through other means (or worse, add a raiding requirement) and if I have to start facing opponents in WvW who have better gear than I can obtain through means I enjoy (which was the case in WoW PvP), I will have little reason to stay with this game.

People do leave games over issues like this. Quit trying to marginalize them just because it doesn’t bother you.

It’s already been said by Devs they fully intend Ascended gear to be available in all aspects of the game. The limited release of the gear to just one dungeon was an admitted mistake, and they fully intend to open up acquisition methods.

I would possibly even expect the current available pieces to be opened up to new content as early as the Wintersday patch via new crafting recipes and an increased loot table.

Here is another huge question.

Okay, first let me say that I am not okay with Ascended gear no matter what avenue I can get it in. That being said:

Do you have any idea how long it takes a dedicated WvW player to obtain a single WvW Exotic item? Here’s a hint – a long kittening time.

Based on the current difficulty of getting Ascended gear vs. previously getting Exotics (assuming both done via dungeon runs), I can not imagine how much of a grind Ascended gear will be for a WvW player to get.

And you know what… for anyone who buys the whole “we always planned on Ascended gear!” bit, can you please explain to me why structured PvP caps out at Exotic and has no Ascended gear?

Maybe you could instead explain why they chose to release rings instead of gear that required actual skins? Backpieces we obviously didn’t have many choices for, and I am sure they were working on those assets before hand. Rings were an easy out, since they have ZERO cosmetic value and are 100% stat-sticks.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

I’ve already uninstalled because of Ascended Gear (btw Anet, your ‘Exit Survey’ is broken — surprise, surprise). Horizontal progression was the main reason I bought the game. There is no reason to continue playing now.

The forum does provide marginally entertaining lunch distractions though.

Honestly, buying a MMORPG with 80 levels expecting Horizontal progression, you bought the wrong game, or are using a very loose definition of Horizontal.

See… getting from level 1-80, with 5 tiers of gear, is anything but Horizontal. Even with a plateau, this doesn’t fit the idea.

Horizontal progression would mean, from day 1, no levels, all gear being equal. We would never of had to bother leveling our characters. Just like is sPVP. This was never the case in any of the Beta events and it has remained exactly the same to today.

You don’t understand the concept of horizontal progression, or how it worked in GW2 prior to Ascended gear at all.

The fact that there is a stat progress prior to the level cap does not mean that GW2 did not have horizontal progression. Horizontal progression means cosmetic progression instead of stat progression at max level. That last part is important. At max level. Read it again.

GW2 WAS based on horizontal progression, at max level. It isn’t any more. Get your facts straight before going off on someone.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

I’ve already uninstalled because of Ascended Gear (btw Anet, your ‘Exit Survey’ is broken — surprise, surprise). Horizontal progression was the main reason I bought the game. There is no reason to continue playing now.

The forum does provide marginally entertaining lunch distractions though.

Honestly, buying a MMORPG with 80 levels expecting Horizontal progression, you bought the wrong game, or are using a very loose definition of Horizontal.

See… getting from level 1-80, with 5 tiers of gear, is anything but Horizontal. Even with a plateau, this doesn’t fit the idea.

Horizontal progression would mean, from day 1, no levels, all gear being equal. We would never of had to bother leveling our characters. Just like is sPVP. This was never the case in any of the Beta events and it has remained exactly the same to today.

You don’t understand the concept of horizontal progression, or how it worked in GW2 prior to Ascended gear at all.

The fact that there is a stat progress prior to the level cap does not mean that GW2 did not have horizontal progression. Horizontal progression means cosmetic progression instead of stat progression at max level. That last part is important. At max level. Read it again.

GW2 WAS based on horizontal progression, at max level. It isn’t any more. Get your facts straight before going off on someone.

um… you ignored the entire game from level 1 to 80 then? The entire game was vertical progression…. You can’t claim a game is designed around Horizontal progression, for it only to matter at max level.

The concept of Horizontal progression games is not just for max level…. It’s the entire core of a game. sPVP is proper Horizontal progression, as right from the start, you’re at level 80, with the same gear. Only gear you earn is purely cosmetic, and offer no advantages.

The entire core of PvE was alwayss vertical progression. You level from 1-80 and your character gains stats as they level with different tiers of gear inbetween just like any other MMORPG. From day one this has been the case.

You can’t just ignore the entire game up to level 79, then claim the game is Horizontal. It makes no sense.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

You mean that are left right? the mass has already left and now casuals are bleeding out. A few people have stayed behind to try and make a point but those who support this game since the start have left the building.

Those threads in the many are shut down and deleted by the mods who are doing their job.
I have seen some #’s and its bad real bad.
You can say all you want but this has tanked faster than tor did.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

Hey guess what? All of the content in the game before ascend gear, you can still do all of that. The extra +2 power you get on an ascend piece isn’t going to matter.

Posted by: roguenub.1409

roguenub.1409

If ascended gear was in the game on release, and the same means to get it , would you still have bought the game?

Why does everyone automatically assume people with ascended gear will just dominate you in WvW? You will get rolled on with all greens or all exotics / ascended either way, It’s mainly the numbers that count. If you don’t bother to play because the enemy slightly outgears you, then thats just dumb imo. "Ohhh I played hundreds of hours to get my full exotic gear, but now I can’t win because someone has more time to get slightly better stats than me =(((( ".

Getting ascended is a grind eh? It’s no less of a grind than getting your exotics.

It almost looks like people are just finding any reason to quit, and not willing to admit they got their money’s worth of the game. Same with this game and every other MMO game you’ve played, you get everything and you’ll have nothing left to do. You’ll get bored, and find something else to do.

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

You mean that are left right? the mass has already left and now casuals are bleeding out. A few people have stayed behind to try and make a point but those who support this game since the start have left the building.

Those threads in the many are shut down and deleted by the mods who are doing their job.
I have seen some #’s and its bad real bad.
You can say all you want but this has tanked faster than tor did.

Present said numbers please.
Show me viable PROOF that undoubtedly signals the end of GW2.

If you wanna talk threads, go take a peek at all the other parts of this forum where I can safely assure you that for every 1000 alleged threads crying doom, there’s three times that popping up and discussing the game and bringing up bugs and legitimate concerns.

You venture almost anywhere else on these forums (assuming you want to base a claim of dead or alive off of forum activity) and youll see that again, in reality, the majority really dont mind ascended all that much.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

If ascended gear was in the game on release, and the same means to get it , would you still have bought the game?

Why does everyone automatically assume people with ascended gear will just dominate you in WvW? You will get rolled on with all greens or all exotics / ascended either way, It’s mainly the numbers that count. If you don’t bother to play because the enemy slightly outgears you, then thats just dumb imo. "Ohhh I played hundreds of hours to get my full exotic gear, but now I can’t win because someone has more time to get slightly better stats than me =(((( ".

Getting ascended is a grind eh? It’s no less of a grind than getting your exotics.

It almost looks like people are just finding any reason to quit, and not willing to admit they got their money’s worth of the game. Same with this game and every other MMO game you’ve played, you get everything and you’ll have nothing left to do. You’ll get bored, and find something else to do.

^this, a thousand kitten times

Sky.9347

Hey guys, good job at completely ignoring all dissenting opinion and re-stating the same dismissive comment again!

Obviously, I was just looking for a way to quit the game. I mean, god forbid I not have the official forum’s approval to stop playing. I absolutely needed to invent a complaint so that I could feel justified in not playing.

I don’t know if us stat-cappers are the majority or minority, but I know we are a large enough subset of the population to change the game experience for everybody else.

I also know we are better potential customers than carrot-chasers. Before you get your panties in a wad, here’s why: we have no other options.

Posted by: Aerwyna.2541

Aerwyna.2541

I will play until the day I die.
Most likely will die in front of my computer, clutching my mouse.
While humming the GW2 character creation song.

Renoria Blackheart loves her kitty Kronos. <3
Proud member of the Blackgate community.

Posted by: Baron of Winters.5697

Baron of Winters.5697

People can be dismissive towards our concerns. But my decision to keep playing on occasion but never again visit the gem store will cost Anet a fair amount. I’m a 39 year old professional with not a lot of time, but plenty of disposable inome to spend on a hobby. With a static goal, I knew I would get there eventually, and I would spend money to get there a little faster. But with a diminishing return and a goal that recedes towards the horizon faster than I can progress, I won’t spend my real world currency on Anet anymore.

Thanks for the game, Anet – but the way you’ve set up the grind, I’ll log in once every couple of weeks, contribute very little to the in-game community, and you won’t see cash from me again.

Want to change that? Want to get players like me playing and paying you money again? Here’s what you do:

Accept that Ascended gear was a dumb move. But now that its out there, I understand that you have to keep it. Cap all infusions at the current level, and formally promise to never again increase infusion tiers (as well as gear tiers). Set the current bar (which you just raised) as the new and PERMANENT maximum. With those assurrances, I’ll start buying gems and playing again.

Otherwise, you’ve lost revenue from me. I’ll vote with my wallet.

(edited by Baron of Winters.5697)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Taugrim sums up the whole ascended gear fiasco very well:

http://taugrim.com/2012/12/01/my-take-on-ascended-gear-in-guild-wars-2/

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: jamasont.4653

jamasont.4653

Just thought I’d add some thoughts here.

First of all, I loved this game. I brought in other players, and family. I haven’t played at all since Nov. 15. My young son still plays, and I am glad he absorbs bandwidth and prevents other players from getting into WvW.

For those who truly don’t understand how some of us can have such a hard stance on this, please realize that vertical and horizontal progression are mutually exclusive. It’s one or the other, never both (for the same content).

Most people have not paid as close attention to his as I and others like me have. You guys are wrong on so many fronts. Here are a couple:

No more tiers: wrong, they will be using Infusion to continue the VP until expansion time. Confirmed on Reddit.

Gear is optional: wrong, when the desire is to get to max stats and then play the game on equal footing, no stat increase is optional

Doesn’t gate content: wrong, even though the current gating is very limited, it is impossible to continue adding new challenging content without balancing that content around the current max stats. Every single content patch must increase the gear-gate, or else the content would become trivial to anyone in max stat gear

ANet won’t add more: wrong, Mike O’Brien himself stated that VP is important, and will be a major part of the future of GW2. He even said that GW1 was stagnant and not fun.

ANet didn’t break their word: wrong, you can twist words all you want but I have been following these guys for a decade now. These are the guys who told us what was wrong with the MMO market, and how they were going to fix it.

They had to do this, no other choice: wrong, ANet never released a single horizontal progression content patch. Never, not once. The first content patch introduced VP. They never even tried, they just gave up and went the easy route (not my words, THEY called this the easy route)

GW2 doesn’t need you: time will tell, but I will say this… when the bugs are too much, and the content is too little, the MMO Locusts will move on to another game. They always do, it should be expected. GW2 would have been fine though because it had a strong and loyal community who were willing to pull out their pocketbooks and keep this game going. They’ve lost that, and all they have left are people who are basically indifferent or looking for the next-best-WoW.

Fantastic post.

Sums it up perfectly!!!

The problem is that the other side just doesn’t get it, or doesn’t want to get it because they need the carrot.

Agree, They have no CLUE how far reaching this fiasco will be. Not only for GW2 but for any future game they make. If GW2 is the titanic FoTM/Ascended was their iceburg, mark my words. The titanic didn’t sink instantly either.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

omg…

next big thing will come and you ll play it.

the era of playing the same game for 10y is finished!!
nobody will accept “the stoopid endgame”.
just play another mmo.

btw; GW2 is the best mmo to date.

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

It’s already been said by Devs they fully intend Ascended gear to be available in all aspects of the game.

Some of what the developers said has already turned out to not be true. If these aspects were important to someone, and this issue of vertical progression is important to them too, you can’t really blame them for being suspicious or fed up by now. It’s not just GW2 either, far from it, so people who were burned before by unfulfilled promises and sheer hype in other games are likely to have increasingly less patience with problematic issues as well as less faith in official statements where current and future games are concerned. I know I do.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

There are so many reasons not to like GW2, but ascended gear isn’t one of them.

5 power 5 pre on a ring. less than 1/2 of one percent increase to damage. Less than a quarter of your characters stats come from gear, this is tiny. And it’s only one step.

Quit the game because wvw is a kitten-box full of buggy nuggets, and not nearly as good as PS2.
Quit the game because you’re tired of waiting for promised features to show up.
Quit the game because your parties keep getting DCed or glitched in fractals and dungeons.
Quit the game because they still aren’t ready for spvp to launch, and the format is too constrained and unbalanced.
Quit the game because it’s not fun, has no endgame, is shallow, nothing left for you to do, all your friends left for Planetside 2, …

So many good reasons not to play GW2.

But don’t quit the game because of a very small tier of gear that’s one step beyond all the other tiers. One small step is not a treadmill. :p

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

There are so many reasons not to like GW2, but ascended gear isn’t one of them.

5 power 5 pre on a ring. less than 1/2 of one percent increase to damage. Less than a quarter of your characters stats come from gear, this is tiny. And it’s only one step.

Quit the game because wvw is a kitten-box full of buggy nuggets, and not nearly as good as PS2.
Quit the game because you’re tired of waiting for promised features to show up.
Quit the game because your parties keep getting DCed or glitched in fractals and dungeons.
Quit the game because they still aren’t ready for spvp to launch, and the format is too constrained and unbalanced.
Quit the game because it’s not fun, has no endgame, is shallow, nothing left for you to do, all your friends left for Planetside 2, …

So many good reasons not to play GW2.

But don’t quit the game because of a very small tier of gear that’s one step beyond all the other tiers. One small step is not a treadmill. :p

While I agree with your points, “my reasons are better than your reasons,” is extremely subjective. I think that this is heavily foreshadowing of a gear treadmill; it’s been pretty much stated outright by certain devs that this will happen. And it’s not a small step if you have to run a dungeon dozens (in the case of some unlucky folks, hundreds) of times to get even one piece of gear. Stats-wise, it may not be a big jump, but people have to spend a disproportionate amount of time acquiring these marginally better numbers.

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

Nope.

Why does everyone automatically assume people with ascended gear will just dominate you in WvW?

They don’t, no one has claimed any such thing, they claim it is an advantage (and goes against what was stated pre-game), currently teh advantage is not an issue as it is so small, eventually as ascended is added to more slots and tiers of infusions added a signifcant advantage, that will increase the gear disparity between players, which is something many PvPers were attempting to get away from in other games, because it makes for crappy PvP.

Exotics are barely a grind at all, currently (again in violation of their pre-release promises) the only way to get ascended is crappy fractal dungeons, even when they eventually add other methods to acquire ascended gear it will no doubt be signifcantly more costly than exotics, it requires more grind.

Same with this game and every other MMO game you’ve played, you get everything and you’ll have nothing left to do. You’ll get bored, and find something else to do.

Spoken like a true PvE hamster, I couldn’t care less about ‘getting stuff’, I have a career, I get stuff in real life, not for a bunch of non-existant pixels, I actually play a game because I enjoy the gameplay.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

mulch.2586

Same with this game and every other MMO game you’ve played, you get everything and you’ll have nothing left to do. You’ll get bored, and find something else to do.

Spoken like a true PvE hamster, I couldn’t care less about ‘getting stuff’, I actually play a game because I enjoy the gameplay.

If you actually enjoy the gameplay, then go for it. Cuz those 100 stat points you might have earned on all 3 pieces, given the over 10,000 stat points on your character, over 3/4 of which are not from gear, they aren’t going to affect your gameplay.

The real trouble is GW2 as a game doesn’t have all that good of gameplay.

If people actually liked it, weren’t plagued by bugs, felt like they had content they wanted to play for itself, professions working in balance, we could accept that there’s a tier above exotic.

Posted by: Lazarus.1083

Lazarus.1083

So take from the first dungeon items and DO evry dungeon and evry quest and evrything in the game whit that gear horisental that was teh reason why i was not playing now im ENJOYING !!!!

So you bought a game with horizontal progression as one of it’s main characteristics/selling points even though you wanted a vertical progression experience????

I guess a lot of people never read up about the games they are going to purchase beforehand. I wonder if it has something to do with comprehension.
If you don’t know what it is you are buying then don’t buy it, but then again buying stuff you don’t like or will never use, use much keeps the economy going.

That being said, Ascended doesn’t interest me , not until I can get it from other sources than the Fractals. I have an Alt of each class spanning all races, I have enough to do until the Ascended snafu either gets fixed or gets worse.

I have enough Gold from the halloween event to keep me away from buying any more gems with money so if the games goes in a direction I don’t like (again) I’ll have gotten my moneys worth anyway.

I’m sure people have and will leave this game for many reasons, being misled is a main one, disliking vertical progression beyond that which was already in the game at the start (Exotic, Legendary), increased level cap. Whatever gets done, someone somewhere won’t like the changes.

Everyone is allowed an opinion and a reason to either play or leave, it’s not up to us to decide if X is actually leaving or Y is actually staying. Opinions are just that opinions.

mulch.2586

So take from the first dungeon items and DO evry dungeon and evry quest and evrything in the game whit that gear horisental that was teh reason why i was not playing now im ENJOYING !!!!

So you bought a game with horizontal progression as one of it’s main characteristics/selling points even though you wanted a vertical progression experience????

Followed the game even back in 2011. Maybe it’s unselective hearing, but I’d heard about expansions, raising the cap, diff tiers of gear even back then. Once I learned what ascended gear was about, it fits in which what I heard back then.

It is different from what we had in GW, but then again almost everything is different, play-style races world professions abilities gear levels instances BLTP etcetera.

Posted by: Horheristo.3607

Horheristo.3607

Fun fact… they didn’t stick in a gear treadmill. They added a step between exotics and legendaries to fill the time gap in between and to open the door to tons of lateral progression.

Fun fact, they added a gear treadmill that broke pre-game statments like this (from their lead dev):

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”

You now have to hop on to a gear treadmill (a treadmill which currently breaks another one of their pre-game promises that you can play the game how you want) if you wish to remain just as powerful, pre-release prestigious gear meant cosmetic, if they just wanted to fill a space between exotic and legendary then it would of been cosmetic, the stats on a legendary were the same as an exotic.

They didn’t fill a space, they created an end game gear treadmill, because of whining / failure of tPvP.

Do you feel that asceneded gear is mandatory?
Do you feel that someone who’s fully equipped with can destroy you in WvW?
Serious questions.

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Can someone explain to me why Ascended gear is such a big deal? I mean, did a couple of rings and backpack really obliterated this game? Is this game that fragile? And we don’t know how armors are acquired, either. How can they break the game when they’re not even in yet?

Here’s what I understand from Ascended gear.

• Slightly better than Exotic, slightly worse than Legendary. Mostly a negligible difference in PvE and WvW. If a handful of stats is making you lose at WvW, I think you’re doing something wrong.
  • No upgrade slot. Which means less versatility than Exotic gear. If armor continues to not have upgrade slots, then we make use of our Runes with special effects on them. This makes them slightly worse than Ascended gear depending on the type of runes you prefer to use.
  • Has Agony resistance and takes Agony increasing infusions. This is only relevant in Fractals. People are crying because they can’t get ascended gear because they don’t play Fractals. Why do you want a stat restricted to a mode you don’t play?

Then people are saying that Ascended makes Exotics obsolete, except we don’t know how we get Ascended armors? Maybe we use Exotics to craft Ascended. Who knows?

The problem is not the degree of progression they’ve introduced with Ascended gear. The problem is that they have committed themselves to vertical progression. Vertical progression “progresses” by periodically raising the power-level. This won’t stop, ever, and you will find that if you don’t hop on the treadmill at some point, you will not be able to play the new content. That’s the way all WoW-like games work. You can ignore it for a time, but eventually the difference between you and the environment will simply be too great for you to play. Let me repeat it since I see so many posts on the insignificance of the stat increase: The degree of vertical progression with Ascended gear does not matter in the slightest; what matters is the introduction of vertical progression.

As someone who loves both horizontal and vertical progression: Yay.

Seriously, some of us like having something to strive for in games.

Sylosi.6503

Fun fact… they didn’t stick in a gear treadmill. They added a step between exotics and legendaries to fill the time gap in between and to open the door to tons of lateral progression.

Fun fact, they added a gear treadmill that broke pre-game statments like this (from their lead dev):

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”

You now have to hop on to a gear treadmill (a treadmill which currently breaks another one of their pre-game promises that you can play the game how you want) if you wish to remain just as powerful, pre-release prestigious gear meant cosmetic, if they just wanted to fill a space between exotic and legendary then it would of been cosmetic, the stats on a legendary were the same as an exotic.

They didn’t fill a space, they created an end game gear treadmill, because of whining / failure of tPvP.

Serious questions.

It is not mandatory currently, when it expands to more slots / has higher tiers of infusions, then yes it will be mandatory if you want to be competitve in WvW.

It still however breaks what they sold the game on, read the quote again, it states all of it is optional and those who don’t chase this prestigious gear will still be just as powerful, that is now untrue.

Furthermore it lowers the quality of PvP, because it increases the gear gap (again not a huge problem at present but it will be as more slots / infusion tiers are added), Anet themselves have stated gear differences are detrimental to good PvP, so congrats they are making WvW worse.

It also introduces other problems, GW2 was the perfect game for those who like alts, those who can’t play much or have long periods where they can only play a little or not at all, ascended gear has made this less so and it will only get worse as they add more ascended gear.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Serious questions.

It is not mandatory currently, when it expands to more slots / has higher tiers of infusions, then yes it will be mandatory if you want to be competitve in WvW.

It still however breaks what they sold the game on, read the quote again, it states all of it is opitional and those who don’t chase this prestigious gear will still be just as powerful, that is now untrue.

Furthermore it lowers the quality of PvP, because it increases the gear gap (again not a huge problem at present but it will be as more slots / infusion tiers are added), Anet themselves have stated gear differences are detrimental to good PvP, so congrats they are making WvW worse.

It also introduces other problems, GW2 was the perfect game for those who like alts, those who can’t play much or come back from a long break, ascended gear has made this less so and it will only get worse as they add more ascended gear.

If someone is beating you because of the couple of stat points ascended gear has, it’s not the gear.

Sylosi.6503

If someone is beating you because of the couple of stat points ascended gear has, it’s not the gear.

Perhaps you should re-read the post, because you clearly didn’t comprehend it.

mulch.2586

The statement rings true, regardless of the posts preceding it.

It’s readily apparent in spvp where we all have the same access to the exact same gear, yet ranked players annihilate newbies. And in pve, the differences are so small as to be imperceptible.

Sylosi.6503

It’s readily apparent in spvp where we all have the same access to the exact same gear, yet ranked players annihilate newbies. And in pve, the differences are so small as to be imperceptible.

Only if you can’t read English, where did I say I lose due to ascended gear, I ‘ll give you a clue I didn’t, it would also be something of a miracle given I have played the game for about 30 mins since the Nov 15th patch and not in WvW.

As I said it is not currently mandatory (see if you can work out how that relates), but eventually it will be when they add the other slots / higher tiers of infusion.

Posted by: greg.3792

greg.3792

There are many more reasons to quit than Ascended gear.

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

Is this post relevant anymore? (Although it’s user generated).

Guild Wars 2 Endgame: You Actually Get to Eat the Carrot

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/23448-guild-wars-2-endgame-you-actually-get-to-eat-the-carrot/

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

mulch.2586

Only if you can’t read English, where did I say I lose due to ascended gear, I ‘ll give you a clue I didn’t, it would also be something of a miracle given I have played the game for about 30 mins since the Nov 15th patch and not in WvW.

As I said it is not currently mandatory (see if you can work out how that relates), but eventually it will be when they add the other slots / higher tiers of infusion.

Don’t be so rude. I read just fine. How ’bout you?

Note I wrote “regardless of the posts preceding it.”

It’s not about what you said, but what’s true in the game, something that’s known by anyone who does pvp. I’m confident a good team in pvp would roflstomp an average fully-geared team, even if they came in rares (if that were possible).

Sylosi.6503

It’s not about what you said, but what’s true in the game, something that’s known by anyone who does pvp. I’m confident a good team in pvp would roflstomp an average fully-geared team, even if they came in rares (if that were possible).

Which is entirely irrelevant to this thread, congrats.

Incidentally what do you think would happen between two equally skilled teams, one with exotic gear, the other with ascended gear in every slot? (credit – Torva Messor, just in case Mr Mulch misses his post)

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

To OP, absolutely. At the end of the day it isn’t about stats, power curve or being destroyed in PvP or whatever as much as that is annoying it isn’t the sole reason. It’s the entire situation combined that has pushed me out of the game.

The entire reason behind ascended gear is such a joke. The tier was unnecessary. The rollout to one part of the game (dungeon grind) is also joke. The lack of response for weeks was the biggest joke. Loot drops being as horrible as they are is frustrating. The abandonment of the “no grind” motto stings as well. And finally, the fact that they truly believe they can please horizontal and vertical progression advocates at the same time is mind boggling.

Sky.9347

That’s true, and yet it doesn’t mitigate the problem at all. In fact, the issue is “the differences”. This difference was introduced 3 months into the game. Mike O’Brien has stated that it was stupid to design the game around people who “aren’t playing” (I paraphrased); which means “the difference” will grow, at a very small rate. The difference between a character right now vs. a character 12 months from now is not going to be “imperceptible”.

And, what Mike said is very true. There’s only one problem… he forgot why his loyal playerbase was loyal.

Most of us aren’t casual by any stretch of the imagination. Most of us also can not bear to be stuck on 1 character; we play alts. We also tend to play multiple builds within one profession, and maximize our potential with each. We do this because we enjoy diversity and gameplay.

We buy character slots, and gems, and cosmetic crap. We sometimes get really into it and spend a month grinding out a Legendary, just to make our character feel cooler in our own minds. We would never allow our game to die completely – see EVE Online, GW1, UO, or any number of games who can tout massive success without millions of subscribers; that means we would spend money like it was donations if we thought the company was in trouble. We do this stuff because the game is our playground.

So, when you talk about level caps and gear tiers, you remember something. We have at least 8 characters and probably 2 builds minimum for each. That grind you don’t mind takes us literally all of our available game time, since we enjoy so many aspects and perspectives on the game.

You don’t know why this matters so much to us? I don’t think you’re really trying.

(Yes, I projected my opinion. I did it knowingly to make a point, and I am 100% certain that I do represent the opinions of my family and friends. )

Posted by: Torva Messor.1452

Torva Messor.1452

I’m confident a good team in pvp would roflstomp an average fully-geared team, even if they came in rares (if that were possible).

Since you know so much about these things, would you care to explain to me what would happen if two equally skilled teams faced off against each other, one wearing full exotic gear and the other wearing full ascended gear?

I’m reasonably confident the team wearing the better gear would win, but feel free to disagree.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

@Sylosi.6503: You should really calm down and stop being condescending to people. No one wants to see you play the overly used “career card” on the forums. I’m just waitng for a few “son” comments and its all wrapped up in a tidy box.

It doesnt matter how you look at it, ascended gear is not a grind. Fractals are easy, fast and fun. Sure the RNG sucks a bit and the current costs of things are a bit too steep, but all those things are being looked into by Anet.

Its 3 pieces you need to obtain per character, one and a half hour tops per day. Thats not asking much. You also make a few gold per run if you dont have the worst possible luck. Atleast fractals are well balanced with pretty fun boss encounters, except for the boring jellyfish. This cant be said about the regular dungeons, which mostly feel like WP bumrush crap. Bosses are poorly made, too much RNG when it comes to some boss skills and their leathality (Alpha for example).

Once they soup up the regular dungeons things will be much better and more fun.

Ascended gear is just a tier that IMO should have been there at release. Its also intoduced slowly over time.

You also say you’ve played the game for about 30mins since nov 15th patch, which means you havent done a whole lot of fractals, if even any at all.

You really shouldnt have an opinion about something ingame until you actually try it properly. You cant give proper feedback on what isnt working, what is bad, imbalanced, boring and so on unless you try it and play. Anet would do best in not listening to people spewing forth random nonsense without any real insight in the matter.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

Sky.9347

@Sylosi.6503: You should really calm down and stop being condescending to people. No one wants to see you play the overly used “career card” on the forums. I’m just waitng for a few “son” comments and its all wrapped up in a tidy box.

It doesnt matter how you look at it, ascended gear is not a grind. Fractals are easy, fast and fun. Sure the RNG sucks a bit and the current costs of things are a bit too steep, but all those things are being looked into by Anet.

Its 3 pieces you need to obtain per character, one and a half hour tops per day. Thats not asking much. You also make a few gold per run if you dont have the worst possible luck. Atleast fractals are well balanced with pretty fun boss encounters, except for the boring jellyfish. This cant be said about the regular dungeons, which mostly feel like WP bumrush crap. Bosses are poorly made, too much RNG when it comes to some boss skills and their leathality (Alpha for example).

Once they soup up the regular dungeons things will be much better and more fun.

Ascended gear is just a tier that IMO should have been there at release. Its also intoduced slowly over time.

You also say you’ve played the game for about 30mins since nov 15th patch, which means you havent done a whole lot of fractals, if even any at all.

You really shouldnt have an opinion about something ingame until you actually try it properly. You cant give proper feedback on what isnt working, what is bad, imbalanced, boring and so on unless you try it and play. Anet would do best in not listening to people spewing forth random nonsense without any real insight in the matter.

1.5 hours and you’ve gotten 3 pieces of ascended, infused gear?

Wow. Let’s say you aren’t lying.

1.5 hours x 16 builds = 24 hours, per every… 3 months?

That seems “reasonable” right? I only have to spend 8 hours per month to stay on the power curve.

What happens if 1.5 hours for 3 pieces becomes 3 hours? 16 hours per month minimum
What if it becomes 6 hours (thats 2 hours per piece of maximum quality Ascended Gear + Infusion) – 32 hours per month BEFORE I get to start playing the game

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

I’m confident a good team in pvp would roflstomp an average fully-geared team, even if they came in rares (if that were possible).

Since you know so much about these things, would you care to explain to me what would happen if two equally skilled teams faced off against each other, one wearing full exotic gear and the other wearing full ascended gear?

I’m reasonably confident the team wearing the better gear would win, but feel free to disagree.

What are class compositions? Traits?

Statistically what are the odds that 2 exactly equal teams will ever face off with the exact same class, stats, trait and gear combination?

It won’t happen realistically

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

If we had known about ascended gear and the grind to get it, I would not have bought GW2. It was sold to me as easy to get max stat gear with hard to obtain skins. I sold my friends on it specifically by telling them it wasn’t a WoW gear grind.

It does matter in WvW. Sure if you’re attacking 1v40 you’re going to get rolled, but quite often you will face even numbers. If 5v5, 20v20, 40v40, etc happens ascended gives an advantage. It is common sense that you want to give your opponents as little advantage as possible, thus you need to get ascended gear for that to be the case. There is a noticeable difference between rares and exotics so saying there isn’t much of a difference between exotics and ascended is a flat out lie. As for giving up because enemies have ascended, they are well within their rights. GW2 wasn’t supposed to have a gear grind for max stats and that helped promote WvW. Why continue to WvW when ArenaNet is going to continue to introduce new gear that upsets the balance of WvW. People already died way too fast in WvW and more stats means it will happen faster.

Getting ascended is no less of a grind than exotics, IT IS MORE OF A GRIND. I’m between hardcore and casual in my play and even I will admit that getting fully geared in exotics was probably too much of a grind for most casuals. Now you have ascended pieces that are harder to get than almost a full exotic set.

It is not an excuse to quit, it’s a reason. At worst, ArenaNet lied to people by going against their own philosophies on easy to obtain max stats with skin progression as well as grinding. At best, ArenaNet look incompetent not only for contradictory statements from before release to the IAMA, but for pushing out game mechanics that completely segregate and promote segregation the community. Either way people feel betrayed, like they are being looked down upon, and like they were lied too. If that’s not a valid reason to quit then what is?

I’ve currently quit for a myriad of reasons. Their poor handling of stat and class balance is a major factor. The lack of WvW development and support certainly pushed me as well. But the final straw that broke the camels back was ascended gear. It just flat out goes against what the developers said this game was about. I mean blatant contradictions from things they said earlier and after this whole thing broke are just staggering. “we don’t want grind” yet 250 ecto’s is clearly not a gigantic grind <_<. It just makes me feel like there is zero point in playing since the developers have absolutely no clue what direction they are heading in and anything that comes out of their mouths cannot be trusted.

(edited by Distaste.4801)

Sylosi.6503

@Sylosi.6503: You should really calm down and stop being condescending to people.

I’m perfectly calm thanks, as for being condescending, coming from someone who uses phrases like “doomsday people” that is pretty funny, hypocrite much?

Perhaps you should explain that to the people who have posted they are fed up grinding fractals because of the RNG and they never get a ring. You might also like to consider some of us hate dungeons (especially with the style of group PvE you get in GW2), so yes grinding them for an 1.5 hours a day is a boring needless grind.

It doesn’t matter how you look it at, getting ascended gear it a grind. (see what I did there;))

I haven’t offered an opinion about fractals, I don’t need to of run a fractal to comment on them breaking their pre-game philosphy and introducing a new tier of gear, nor do I to be able to see the stats for ascended items, nor does running a fractal have any bearing on the fact they have stated they will add ascended gear to more slots and will have tiers of infusions, nor that it will give an ever increasing advantage in WvW, nor that you can’t currently get ascended gear from WvW, again breaking another pre-game philosophy.

The only random nonsense here is your silly illogical argument that having run a fractal or not has any bearing on the matter.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

Personally, I will not play the game again until I can be absolutely sure that the BiS gear will not be devalued by a new tier(or infusion tier upgrade mechanic) and is attainable with minimal effort, which I am defining as how long it took to get a full exotic set after you have already one maxed out character to farm with.

This current tier of ascended gear will be rolled out over the next months, and once finished it will be followed up by an expansion which increases the level cap and starts the whole treadmill over.

They would have done better to have reworked WvW to be a more engaging long-term venue; to me, the fact that they pushed VP is an admission that culling is a permanent feature, and that they’re looking to move away from PvP-focused endgame as a result.

I guess it suits some people, but one look at my guild’s vent channels tells the whole story; both WoW and PS2 channels/sub-channels have more activity, and discussion in the GW2 channel as often as not focuses on alternative games (alternative to all three games I mentioned).

I think anyone interested in VP already bailed; I know a few diehards remaining who refuse to play WoW and didn’t like PS2, but given another month or two and I’m sure they’ll start bailing as well.

Posted by: Vipure.1208

Vipure.1208

Personally I quit 2 weeks after it released, due to lost shore.(2 80’s: yes i played it too much) Heard their was a big update with new dungeons, maps, and got excited. Then I found they switched gear formula, so i’ll continue not to play. Not my play style, but good for others.

mulch.2586

Well, all we have at this point are teams with identical gear/lvls/traits and very different player skill levels. If you’ve done any tournaments, you’ve seen the 500-125 scores that tend to happen, and looking at the ranks of the people, a team with lvl 20s on it basically always lop-sided clobbers any team with 1-9s on it.

The division between players with identical gears is so large. I believe a team of good players could go without runes and still win handily over lesser-skilled. I’ve not seen that experiment done.

Since ascended gear doesn’t exist for pvp yet, if ever, and only ring and back exist in pve, the hypothetical question is only speculative. So far the power difference for those 2 is so small, you’re getting less than half a percent of damage difference for them, so not enough to swing the differences you see in actual pvp, where often enough the score differential is 3-400%

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

I’ve essentially put the game on hold due to the Fractals debacle which killed world PVE and made all other dungeons obsolete. I’ll be back for Winter’s Day but after that… I’m not sure the game is worth investing time in the way it currently is. I won’t be pigeon holed into a gear treadmill. If I wanted that I’d go back to WoW.

Posted by: jamasont.4653

jamasont.4653

Spoken like a true PvE hamster, I couldn’t care less about ‘getting stuff’, I actually play a game because I enjoy the gameplay.

If you actually enjoy the gameplay, then go for it. Cuz those 100 stat points you might have earned on all 3 pieces, given the over 10,000 stat points on your character, over 3/4 of which are not from gear, they aren’t going to affect your gameplay.

If people actually liked it, weren’t plagued by bugs, felt like they had content they wanted to play for itself, professions working in balance, we could accept that there’s a tier above exotic.

I hear this moronic reasoning all the time. Sure it won’t affect anything now but what about when its a full set of ascended? And you know they will they’ve said its going to happen.

mulch.2586

I hear this moronic reasoning all the time. Sure it won’t affect anything now but what about when its a full set of ascended? And you know they will they’ve said its going to happen.

I’m not a moron. Got the test results to prove it.

When there’s a full set of ascended, there’ll supposedly be a bunch of ways to get it, hopefully some of which appeal to all playstyles.

Currently there’s not much difference between rare and exotic.

If ascended continues to be a small notch like the first 2 pieces, it’ll play the same.

Posted by: Curlybaby.6258

Curlybaby.6258

Count me as one who has not logged on since the 15th and had not visited the forums since the shameful reddit AMA “PR” whitewash event. I’ve moved on. The only reason I visited today was out of nostalgia. To see if anything had changed.

People should really stop trying to downplay the extent to which this fiasco has hurt this game. No one believes you. I know that me, nor any of my dozens of friends who played this game are currently playing.

For those of you who refuse to believe it’s impact, you must not have been around to witness the 11,000+ thread born out of the outrage from the ascended patch. That’s “eleven thousand plus” posts in one (1) thread. I don’t know about any of you, but I had never witnessed an 11,000+ post thread in my life.

That’s 11,000+!!!!

Out of that one thread alone, how many people do you think left the game out of disgust?

You can keep dismissing and downplaying till kingdom come. As far as the rest of us is concerned … we will not forget!

We are not hamsters!

(edited by Curlybaby.6258)

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

Count me as one who has not logged on since the 15th and had not visited the forums since the shameful reddit AMA “PR” whitewash event. I’ve moved on. The only reason I visited today was out of nostalgia. To see if anything had changed.

People should really stop trying to downplay the extent to which this fiasco has hurt this game. No one believes you. I know that me, nor any of my dozens of friends who played this game are currently playing.

For those of you who refuse to believe it’s impact, you must not have been around to witness the 11,000+ thread born out of the outrage from the ascended patch. That’s “eleven thousand plus” posts in one (1) thread. I don’t know about any of you, but I had never witnessed an 11,000+ post thread in my life.

That’s 11,000+!!!!

Out of that one thread alone, how many people do you think left the game out of disgust?

You can keep dismissing and downplaying till kingdom come. As far as the rest of us is concerned … we will not forget!

yes and all those posts were by different people, there defo wasnt tons of posts by the same people at all. And there definatly wasnt peopel in that same thread who liked the idea, and I know for sure non of those people posted more than once. So yes your quite correct. It was indeed 11000 different people all quitting the game. /facepalm

I like how these people come on the forums and make out DOZENS OF MY FRIENDS have quit the game. Ok if ya say so. Funny how in my guild not one single person has quit, or even cared about the change. I think some people are banging on their little drum way to much

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013