I feel ripped off about the cash shop coffers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sanchito.7413

Sanchito.7413

I do not usually post on game forums, but I feel very strongly about the presentation of in store “Rich Dragon Coffers.” I dropped about 20 USD on jewels and bought a few boxes hoping to get a skin. After opening the boxes I purchased, I got some useless candy and useless food. I feel really ripped off by this, and I will not spend any more gems on these boxes. They are a RIP OFF! There really needs to be some transparency on the drop rates for tickets in these boxes.

I had a lot of goodwill towards Arenanet, but this is quickly evaporating because I feel like they are just making a mad cash grab. It seems like the situation is "Hurry! Purchase these boxes for a limited time to get a “chance” at a nice skin, oh by the way if you don’t get one, here is some useless candy, and the feeling that you just wasted 20 USD…hahahahahaha!" So yeah, I will NOT be buying anymore of those, and I urge others to do the same.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

ok…………………….

Posted by: lockheedlight.5910

lockheedlight.5910

This is why you should never buy RNG boxes.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Sorry you feel that way. They did say there was a rare chance for a weapon skin, and there are a whole lot of people on the forums talking about boycotting the RNG chests. As long as people keep buying them, Anet will keep selling them.

There’s no guarantee you’ll get a skin for $20. In fact, the odds are highly against it. On the other hand, people did farm boxes in world and got skins without paying any money at all.

I agree, you shouldn’t waste your money on RNG boxes.

Posted by: zBluRrYz.1347

zBluRrYz.1347

The Boxes, Chest, Coffers etc that they make people buy with money (i.e, you can only get RICH coffers for Cash) are imo a huge scam. The drop rates in them are still terrible. They should have other contents that the normal coffers don’t have. More minipets, different skins, etc etc. I think ArenaNet is being abit greedy with them, but people keep buying them.

Legends Never [DIE].
B L U R R Y. Thiefy Thief Thief

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

it is really random though.
one of my guild members got a dragon weapon ticket from rich dragon coffers.

i have no idea how many rich dragon coffers he bought though.
perhaps i should ask him.

Vayne.8563

The Boxes, Chest, Coffers etc that they make people buy with money (i.e, you can only get RICH coffers for Cash) are imo a huge scam. The drop rates in them are still terrible. They should have other contents that the normal coffers don’t have. More minipets, different skins, etc etc. I think ArenaNet is being abit greedy with them, but people keep buying them.

See if they put stuff in those coffers that other coffers don’t have, THEN they’d be even more greedy. At least this way people who don’t spend money have a chance at weapon skins.

Posted by: zBluRrYz.1347

zBluRrYz.1347

See if they put stuff in those coffers that other coffers don’t have, THEN they’d be even more greedy. At least this way people who don’t spend money have a chance at weapon skins.

But everything is purely asthtetic so it wouldn’t cause an imbalance. So i think it’s fine if people want to pay for things like that

Legends Never [DIE].
B L U R R Y. Thiefy Thief Thief

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

Gold —-> Gems pretty much invalidates most of these threads. I believe that conversion is the main reason we even have RNG boxes.

They handled this event a lot better than ones in the past, allowing in game rng boxes to hold the same items.

(edited by Tamaki Revolution.3548)

Vayne.8563

But everything is purely asthtetic so it wouldn’t cause an imbalance. So i think it’s fine if people want to pay for things like that

They still need to put new skins in the game for people who don’t want to pay too…because in this game, winning is getting cool looking stuff. lol

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Don’t buy them and you wont get scammed, and yes it is a scam.

Posted by: Torqueblue.1945

Torqueblue.1945

Eh, you shouldn’t feel to bad. There was a guy that posted how he spented 300$ on those things and got one ticket. But yes I’d feel like that way too If I ever spented that that much moolah on those boxes.

ADVICE: Never type at 1 in the morning.

Scotch and Pills, what could possibly go wrong? – Max Payne

(edited by Torqueblue.1945)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I always buy a few of these coffers/boxes/crates just to see what they’re like each time. I was lucky this time (thank you RNG deity!) but I still feel like it was a waste of money buy the dopey things. A fool and his money are soon parted…

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

They still need to put new skins in the game for people who don’t want to pay too…because in this game, winning is getting cool looking stuff. lol

the solution to this kitteng RNG problem is simple but most players will not agree with it.

split the cash shop in 2

1 – you buy with in-game gold, and as such you have a chance at the skins with RNG.
2 – RMOT to get the skins you like, directly w/o the kitteng RNG.

seeing as these skins are all cosmetic, there is no pay 2 win issue at all, but making people pay real money and still use the kitteng RNG is bad really bad.

it’s the way the CS works that is to blame for these kitteng RNG boxes.
just admit it and change the cash shop already.

you need either 2 currencies for the CS or the ability to make items only purchasable with RMOT= real money only transaction

(edited by Latinkuro.9420)

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I’m boycotting the RNG boxes too. It’s the one item that should not exist in a western MMO.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

It’s no more a scam than buying lottery tickets is a scam.

Yes, you can buy a ton of tickets. No, it doesn’t guarantee you a win.

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Join the club…its a very big club…formed back in the day of 2012 when the first RNG boxes came out…

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

You could have just used the normal coffins…or buy them on the broker…You dont have to spend gems or real gold to get a ticket.I got 4 tickets,all from normal coffins.Don’t blame anet because You bought rich coffins..

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

What rich coffers do, other than filling ANet’s, is give you a much higher chance on getting everything other than taffy over the regular free coffers. For tickets it’s estimated 25 times higher to something around 1 in 80. So in 20 “pulls” you still have a 78% chance of not getting one. Even if “rare” odds were 1 in 10 you still would have a 12% chance in not getting one (but a 13% chance of getting 4 or more).

Note that $20 of gems, converted to gold would have bought you around 2300 regular coffers. At the estimated 1 in 2000 odds with the regular coffer for a ticket you would have a 68% chance of getting at least one ticket which is 3x better than you had with 20 rich coffers. Sure you might get a nasty finger cramp clicking that many times …

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

You bought a lottery ticket and didn’t win.

What did you learn from this experience?

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I am happy to say that I didn’t buy a single RNG box from the Gem Store during Dragon Bash, and won’t be buying any in the future unless something drastically changes.

I still think that pixelpumpkin’s solution is the best (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/3-Step-Solution-to-ALL-our-woes/first#post2253344 ) moving forward, but until people stop pouring money into these lotto tickets, ANet won’t have much incentive to change.

I personally feel you are justified in feeling ripped off. RNG boxes are a ripoff no matter how you look at it. I think most players feel that they have a reasonable chance at getting a high-value item, because why would ANet choose to screw over its players?

The problem is that ANet is so determined to make money off its players, that it will risk upsetting, and ultimately turning away players. They know that in the end there will be a core group of player that will spend huge amounts of money in an attempt to get the rare items.

Most of us will catch on early and stop spending money on these. In the future, I suggest both supporting pixelpumpkin’s thread, and only buying items from the gem store that aren’t RNG. As soon as we all do that, ANet will have to choose whether they want to make money legitimately, or by taking advantage of people.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Join the club…its a very big club…formed back in the day of 2012 when the first RNG boxes came out…

It’s a small club. The majority of people are smart.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Anet wants to cater to people in all sorts of situations. Some players will be able to put in the time (to farm for open world coffers) while others do not have much time but may be able to spend real money to achieve the same or similar goals. The open world coffers are not guaranteed to give skins and you can get them by spending time. The rich coffers do not guarantee a skin and you can get them by spending money. Same outcome, different means of getting there.

Anet said a long time ago that they want to allow players to invest time or money to get things and this is exactly what they have provided.

I would also like to add, that the boxes/chests/coffers/whatever are advertised as giving a random chance (often rare) of getting the item you want. If you bought the coffer expecting a guaranteed skin then you should have read the description first. You are buying a lottery ticket and getting annoyed that you didn’t get the jackpot.

At the end of the day, the coffers do not offer you anything that will put you at an advantage over anyone else, they only offer you a chance for cosmetic items, which in no way effects your ability to play the game. If you think this is a scam, then you are only scamming yourself. Gambling is gambling, to think any different is the very definition of insanity.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Dangerkips.6035

Dangerkips.6035

This

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As much as it sucks for the OP I’m always kind of glad when I see one of these threads. One more person deciding they will never buy the boxes again is one more step towards Anet stopping releasing them.

And I like to think some people who were tempted will see the threads and change their mind as well.

Seriously, as long as we have stories of people spending hundreds of dollars buying these boxes Anet will keep making them. Whether it’s greed in the face of knowing everyone hates them or simply looking at numbers sold vs. number of complaints and concluding the complainers are as vocal minority is up to you, but the bottom line is if a product sells then it will keep being made and released.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

If 100 people want a weapon skin and they sold that skin on the Store for $5 they make $500. If they sold a “chance” to get a skin on the Store for $1 those 100 people would spend more then $5 each until they got that skin so they make more. What they weigh the odds against is that they would make more money from fewer people, that is those desperate to get that skin, they they would from all the people that would buy that skin outright.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

It’s no more a scam than buying lottery tickets is a scam.

Yes, you can buy a ton of tickets. No, it doesn’t guarantee you a win.

The lottery is a tax on the stupid.

(edited by Sarabande.8260)

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

Do you buy lottery tickets and complain when you don’t win too?

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Reading the OP, can’t help but think, yeah been there done that. I got more or less the exact same thing with those so called “rich” dragon coffers. I’m done with gemstore RNG and would continually speak out against it so long as it keeps appearing.

Posted by: Kuruptz.4782

Kuruptz.4782

Yes, yes i do

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

I guess they should rework their cash shop model and sell acsended weapons for real $$. They should make it only way to obtain those weapons, without any way to get them without spending real cash. I suppose everyone would be happy then since they could get nice skin and best stat weapon for fixed price.

How about that?

They have fair shop model, and they need to make money too. If you dont want to support it, DONT. But dont make this kind of threads just because you weren’t lucky to get what you want. If i was stupid enough to spend money somebody had to work to earn, on virtuel toy with no value by this planets standards, i would just be quiet about it. Idiocracy.

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

point made.
note: house always wins in th end

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I can understand being unhappy that you didn’t get anything, but if you are buying something that is completely random, don’t you just have yourself to blame for buying it? It isn’t the box or the companies fault that you didn’t get anything. The company stated that skins would be a very rare drop.

I just don’t get why anyone would be angry when they know there is a possibility of getting junk and when they get nothing they are outrage. Weird.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

They sell them because people who are desperate to get the skin buy tons of them. You either need to not buy them or buy them with the expectation you won’t get really good stuff out of them.

Anet will keep selling them as long as gambling addicts keep buying them in large numbers. Be the change you want to see.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I hate to sound condescending, but this.

Dedlaw.9130

Yes, yes i do

And how has that been working for you?

kRiza krimos.1637

You are giving humans way too much credit. Majority of people are consumers, trained to consume not think smart.

Posted by: JOKER.3952

JOKER.3952

the solution to this kitteng RNG problem is simple but most players will not agree with it.

split the cash shop in 2

1 – you buy with in-game gold, and as such you have a chance at the skins with RNG.
2 – RMOT to get the skins you like, directly w/o the kitteng RNG.

seeing as these skins are all cosmetic, there is no pay 2 win issue at all, but making people pay real money and still use the kitteng RNG is bad really bad.

it’s the way the CS works that is to blame for these kitteng RNG boxes.
just admit it and change the cash shop already.

you need either 2 currencies for the CS or the ability to make items only purchasable with RMOT= real money only transaction

80 Engi, 80 War, 80 Ranger, 80 Mes [AoD] – DR
“Sometimes … when Im alone – I buff myself”

JOKER.3952

“but making people pay real money and still use the kitteng RNG is bad really bad.”

No one is “making” you do anyting … it is a choice.

I have opened ~ 500 of the dragon coffers that dropped from reg mobs / holo mobs , I didnt buy the ones from the gem store and I didnt buy any from the TP, in fact i sold quiet a few. Anyways, last night i got a jade ticket. I would sell it if I could – none of the skins are my style

I DO however agree that it would be nice if maybe they had a “middle of the road approach” ie- you can buy the skin for 1000 gems or have mobs drop chests like this event that have a low chance to get the ticket ( not skins so people can choose the skin they want ) it would also be nice if the tickets could be sold …. I think if they made these changes EVERYONE would be happy, so people like gambling on the chests , others just want to buy it from the gem store / TP.

(edited by JOKER.3952)

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

it’s because of IQ deprived comments like these No one is “making” you do anyting … it is a choice. that we will never get rid of this cancer that is damaging the community.

LOL has it right you want a skin pay for it and get it, if LOL had RNG boxes trust me it would die a horrible, slow painful death.

like I already stated the problem is the way the cash shop works, they should’ve thought about RMOT and in-game gold conversion before launching the BLTC.

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

OP, much better idea… Use gold to buy normal coffers from the TP, you can buy 1000 for just over 12g.

That got me 2 tickets. Rinse and repeat as much as youd like (however fair warning, the very aspect of RNG means theres no guarentee.. But at least you dont have to spend RL money unless you want to replace the gold you spend on coffers. Somehow, even though it isnt, that way seems alot better in my mind than rich coffers.

Would never purchase gem store chests again personally. And if the system goes back to the last events, where chest drops were rare as hell, ill be boycotting the whole RNG chest issue once again.

kRiza krimos.1637

it’s because of IQ deprived comments like these No one is “making” you do anyting … it is a choice. that we will never get rid of this cancer that is damaging the community.

LOL has it right you want a skin pay for it and get it, if LOL had RNG boxes trust me it would die a horrible, slow painful death.

like I already stated the problem is the way the cash shop works, they should’ve thought about RMOT and in-game gold conversion before launching the BLTC.

It IS a choice. You dont have to spend single $$ in cash shop to be able to play game. If you like skin they put in chests you can play by their rules and try to get it, or dont. Its up to you.

Different game, different business model. Im not sure why you compare two at all, but it only shows how little to none knowledge and experience you have in matter.

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

you like it, you risk it, you complain it
nice logic my man

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

Posted by: Sanchito.7413

Sanchito.7413

You guys are right, no one forced me to buy the chests. It really is my fault for falling into the trap. I traditionally spend money about one time per check on the MMO I am currently playing. I like to support the games I love, and hopefully get something cool in return. I guess I found out by this that RNG really isn’t my style. They say a lesson bought is a lesson learned, and this case that saying is right.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

You could have just used the normal coffins…or buy them on the broker…You dont have to spend gems or real gold to get a ticket.I got 4 tickets,all from normal coffins.Don’t blame anet because You bought rich coffins..

Sorry but I opened upwards of 1000 regular coffers- I got candy and food, some fireworks.
I lit the fireworks, ate the candy, and sold the other foods , mostly.

Way to distribute skins as good as the Jade ones-
Buy them outright
Good grief, give people nice skins and they will buy them.
p.s I will never buy boxes, ever

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: Renxian.6982

Renxian.6982

I got three Jade Weapon tickets without buying a single rich dragon coffer.

In fact I got the ticket for my SB skin on my second normal coffer.

JOKER.3952

somewhere between ~600 – 700 regular dragon coffers opened and got 2nd jade weapon ticket … hmm wonder if dropped rate increases as it gets closer to the end of the event ? 1st drop was @ about 500 coffers , 2nd one about 100 chests later.

Dedlaw.9130

somewhere between ~600 – 700 regular dragon coffers opened and got 2nd jade weapon ticket … hmm wonder if dropped rate increases as it gets closer to the end of the event ? 1st drop was @ about 500 coffers , 2nd one about 100 chests later.

Well considering the drop-rate is about 0.05%, 700 chests is not nearly a large enough batch to make any deductions from. You just had some luck left ^^

Posted by: Nooka.8390

Nooka.8390

Agree with the OP. I bought 25 rich and got candy and a mini. That cost me a little over half of what the game itself cost. Now, I’m not really mad about this because I knew they were RNG boxes.. but it just seems like ANET or NCSOFT or whoever is behind these would realize that while they may make a lot of money off these boxes, there are better ways to do business.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I do not usually post on game forums, but I feel very strongly about the presentation of in store “Rich Dragon Coffers.” I dropped about 20 USD on jewels and bought a few boxes hoping to get a skin. [snip]

This is the problem, “hoping to get a skin”. You should never gamble for a skin. Financial planners IRL never recommend that you just buy more lottery tickets in order to increase your wealth. It just doesn’t happen for the common person. Play planners in GW2 say the same thing. Coffers or any gambling mechanic in the game are to make the house money. Period. If you are feeling like you want to support the development efforts of Anet, by all means, gamble. But, definitely don’t gamble if you actually want something in-game—it’s highly unlikely to happen.

(edited by Raine.1394)