I feel there is "RNG" for essence and I disagree with it

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Grinding another 2 hours in swampland fractal. no drop.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

25mins essence dropped. Also watch out for Moss Man, he hits hard but loses aggro quickly.

Columba.9730

25mins essence dropped. Also watch out for Moss Man, he hits hard but loses aggro quickly.

lol. nice luck! It took me 5 hours but rng always hates me.. yes Moss Man gives up quickly. He always appears at the fire flies towards the spiders.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Columba.9730

lol. nice luck! It took me 5 hours but rng always hates me.. yes Moss Man gives up quickly. He always appears at the fire flies towards the spiders.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Too bad its bind on acquire. I don’t care if you don’t need it until level 99. The point is RNG is bad game design.

And how many games have you designed? How many classes have you taught on the subject? How many books have you had published on game design?

Every MMo, Rpg, A-Rpg, several popular RTS and FPS, and most kittening board games rely heavily on random number generation or random procedural occurrence.

You may want to educate yourself a bit on games, game theory, design principles, standard practices, and even historical evolution of game design.

Because something isn’t to your liking doesn’t mean it’s bad design, especially when that particular mechanic is so prevalent to core game design itself that there are workshops during programming and design conventions to discuss the best way to make random more random.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: quidnunc.4239

quidnunc.4239

are these things tradable – the essences?

Nope. Pure design genius, right there.

Swell. So to get the superior back items (much much better than current exotics), I must grind dungeons. man, this sucks.

Columba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hi

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

The drop rates are better when you’re not playing at the first tier (1-10)

swell so I am forced to grind to get better drop rates.? This patch just gets better and better.

You’re not forced to do anything,arena still isnt pointing a gun to your head forcing you to grind,if you dont want to then simply dont do it,because its obviously not for you.

Columba.9730

are these things tradable – the essences?

Nope. Pure design genius, right there.

Swell. So to get the superior back items (much much better than current exotics), I must grind dungeons. man, this sucks.

Columba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hi

Lol. Hello. Someone found a way to deal with this nonsense. go solo the swampland fractal. farm the spiders, fire flies and the mosquitoes. the latter two don’t aggro. RUn from moss man who de aggroes pretty quickly. equip magic find gear up to 125%. took me 5 hours. others have done it in an hour or so.

Columba.9730

The drop rates are better when you’re not playing at the first tier (1-10)

swell so I am forced to grind to get better drop rates.? This patch just gets better and better.

You’re not forced to do anything,arena still isnt pointing a gun to your head forcing you to grind,if you dont want to then simply dont do it,because its obviously not for you.

Not literally forced, but unless we keep up with the JOneses in WvWvW and not get curb stomped, then indirectly, I am being forced.

AcidicVision.5498

Not literally forced, but unless we keep up with the JOneses in WvWvW and not get curb stomped, then indirectly, I am being forced.

Are you forced to grind for gold to buy siege weapons in WvW to keep up with those that do? Were you forced to server hop, when you could, to grind the jumping puzzle for blueprints like other servers were doing? Are you forced to grind up influence for your guild to keep up constant WvW buffs because the “Joneses” might be in guilds that do?

What about grinding commendations for WvW gear that has stats which can only be found there and with dungeon tokens, do you have a full set of that like the Joneses?

Of all the things that would have an actual impact in wvw, you say you are being forced to grind for items that mean next to jack and nothing when running around with a zerg or sitting on a tower wall.

Some of you people are seriously like the Risen of the forums. Having a very single minded, narrow perspective on things with no regard to anything else in the system. “Gear…bad….”, “Essence…die”, “Trolls come”.

Some of you had to have realized by this point that its not as bad as everyone was hyping it up to be and are just clinging on as a matter of pride. Let it go.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Columba.9730

Are you forced to grind for gold to buy siege weapons in WvW to keep up with those that do? Were you forced to server hop, when you could, to grind the jumping puzzle for blueprints like other servers were doing? Are you forced to grind up influence for your guild to keep up constant WvW buffs because the “Joneses” might be in guilds that do?

What about grinding commendations for WvW gear that has stats which can only be found there and with dungeon tokens, do you have a full set of that like the Joneses?

Of all the things that would have an actual impact in wvw, you say you are being forced to grind for items that mean next to jack and nothing when running around with a zerg or sitting on a tower wall.

Some of you people are seriously like the Risen of the forums. Having a very single minded, narrow perspective on things with no regard to anything else in the system. “Gear…bad….”, “Essence…die”, “Trolls come”.

Some of you had to have realized by this point that its not as bad as everyone was hyping it up to be and are just clinging on as a matter of pride. Let it go.

The difference you fail to comprehend is that some of us love wvwvw and hate dungeons. Why should we have to grind dungeons to compete. who are you to tell me what is or isn’t necessary for wvwvw? Lastly, speak for yourself, but not all of us sit in towers or zerg, lol.

All I am asking for is an opportunity to get the same gear, which is currently +20% vs exotics, through wvwvw. WHy do you care unless you want the dungeon grinders to be able to lord it over the rest of us?

AcidicVision.5498

The post I quoted from you didn’t say you hated dungeons. It said “forced to grind” for the purposes of keeping up with everyone else.

I pointed out that there are lots of activities that players can grind for an advantage over players that don’t. And I asked if you felt “forced” to do those. Because if you don’t then it’s just being hypocritical. You were deliberately ignoring all of those other factors to shine light on the one you have the latest problem with.

Also, WvW always devolves to running with a zerg or standing on a wall raining AOE. Dress it up as much as you like to feel you are doing something more unique, but that’s what the mode breaks down to.

And the devs have already told us, more than once I believe, that the items will also be available in WvW for the people that spend most of their time there. If you decide you cant get it fast enough that way and need to grind a dungeon for it, that’s your prerogative. But like other posters have mentioned, nothing is forcing you to do anything…except maybe your own feelings of pixel inadequacy in an imaginary rat-race.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

Too bad its bind on acquire. I don’t care if you don’t need it until level 99. The point is RNG is bad game design.

And how many games have you designed? How many classes have you taught on the subject? How many books have you had published on game design?

Every MMo, Rpg, A-Rpg, several popular RTS and FPS, and most kittening board games rely heavily on random number generation or random procedural occurrence.

You may want to educate yourself a bit on games, game theory, design principles, standard practices, and even historical evolution of game design.

Because something isn’t to your liking doesn’t mean it’s bad design, especially when that particular mechanic is so prevalent to core game design itself that there are workshops during programming and design conventions to discuss the best way to make random more random.

RNG based loot, that is required for future content, is bad game design. That’s why most games got rid of it. And don’t come to me with your pseudo intellectual BS.

Why was the title changed? It wasn’t offensive and its true that RNG exist for essences.

(edited by Xpiher.5209)

Columba.9730

The post I quoted from you didn’t say you hated dungeons. It said “forced to grind” for the purposes of keeping up with everyone else.

I pointed out that there are lots of activities that players can grind for an advantage over players that don’t. And I asked if you felt “forced” to do those. Because if you don’t then it’s just being hypocritical. You were deliberately ignoring all of those other factors to shine light on the one you have the latest problem with.

Also, WvW always devolves to running with a zerg or standing on a wall raining AOE. Dress it up as much as you like to feel you are doing something more unique, but that’s what the mode breaks down to.

And the devs have already told us, more than once I believe, that the items will also be available in WvW for the people that spend most of their time there. If you decide you cant get it fast enough that way and need to grind a dungeon for it, that’s your prerogative. But like other posters have mentioned, nothing is forcing you to do anything…except maybe your own feelings of pixel inadequacy in an imaginary rat-race.

When will they be available in wvwvw, and why weren’t they available in WvWvW from day one? Yes, if I am to enjoy the game, I am forced to do this nonsense. You are incorrect. Do the math, 20%+ higher stats isn’t imaginary, lol.

Xpiher.5209

When will they be available in wvwvw, and why weren’t they available in WvWvW from day one? Yes, if I am to enjoy the game, I am forced to do this nonsense. You are incorrect.

Isn’t it obvious? They are trying to funnel people into content now as well.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

RNG based loot, that is required for future content, is bad game design. That’s why most games got rid of it. And don’t come to me with your pseudo intellectual BS.

Why was the title changed? It wasn’t offensive and its true that RNG exist for essences.

Huh most games got rid of RNG based loot? like which? dont know a single MMO that doesnt have RNG based loot! can you give some examples please?

Xpiher.5209

Huh most games got rid of RNG based loot? like which? dont know a single MMO that doesnt have RNG based loot! can you give some examples please?

Most games don’t have RNG based gear progression. My bad for not being clear. You know, they give you tokens instead of random based drops? Even if this wasn’t true, it would still be bad game design because it leads to wasted time. I quit AoC because I got the same Raid belt 3 time when what I need was a helm

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Most games don’t have RNG based gear progression. My bad for not being clear. You know, they give you tokens instead of random based drops? Even if this wasn’t true, it would still be bad game design because it leads to wasted time. I quit AoC because I got the same Raid belt 3 time when what I need was a helm

Ahh okey thought that was a bit of wierd statement.

Still think its a mistake to consider ascended gear as any kind of progression outside the fractal of the mists itself. You really dont need it!

For starters there is a real issue with lack of customizability. I run my build on power, vitality and conditional damage. There is currently not one single ascended item that provides that combination. I could live if there was something that replaced vitality with toughness but there too there is nothing of the sort.

Now granted there is a sever lack of options of back items and even though not perfectly suitable the tome of rubicon would be a good upgrade for me personally but for any other armor including rings exotics would provide better stats!

Not only that but for longest time I didnt have anything better then masterworks and had no problems in WvW then I had rares for a while and still had not problems in WvW right now I have a mix of rares and exotics and still have no problem in WvW. And worst of all dont even consider myself a good pvp player, doubt I am even average for PvP isnt really my thing! yet there were times where with my sub par gear I manage to come victors when facing even 3 players at the same time! This game is without a doubt a skill based game. Knowing how to use your skills at the right time to give you an edge is way more important then a small statistical advantage given by gear!

Xpiher.5209

Ahh okey thought that was a bit of wierd statement.

Still think its a mistake to consider ascended gear as any kind of progression outside the fractal of the mists itself. You really dont need it!

Except ANET already stated that Agony protection will be required for future content.