I find Waypoint costs to be punishing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Why are they so punishing? I’m trying to progress on the new content Southsun Cove on my level 80 Mesmer. I don’t have the best gear, but every time I have to deal with 2 young karka I will die. I’ve died 3 times now and each time I have to use nearest waypoint, which is about 1s40c for each transfer. In addition to this I suffer equipment repair costs. At this point I’m losing way more money than I’m gaining from doing this area. Mobs drop trash that has value below 1 silver on merchant.

Waypoint cost has to change.

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

I suggest waypointing per map to cost money, but inside a map shouldn’t cost you anything given that you need to repair most of the time.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

Money sinks are just part of any mmo. This one is mild compared to some i have seen in other games.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Posted by: Ponzu.4570

Ponzu.4570

Goldsink for teleportation are the same for both casual and hardcore players,which i feel hurts alot for the casual players obviously,TP is fair because the more costly the items u try to sell(15% tax) the more goldsink there is,however i don’t really know the solution for this teleportation to make up for the casual players who reached lvl 80

lvl80 sylavari Engineer
Crystal Desert

Posted by: lexdead.7610

lexdead.7610

Yesterday I tried to just walk to the place I needed. I got lots of experience and about 20 silver. I think its there to motivate exploring and helping others with events. No other reason that I can see..

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I’d like to see two changes to waypoint costs:
- Make them free for maps that are completely explored (as perk for completing all the content inside)
- Make waypoint travel to nearest point free after dying

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

I feel that the game economy is built on gold sinks to encourage us buying gold from them.

I mean, let’s say Bobby wants to buy an AWESOME item that costs 100 gold. He started playing at release, total he has lost 10 gold from waypoints, 10 gold from repairs and 10 from trading fees of the Trading Post.

Results, instead of having 100 gold, he has only 70 gold. He needs 30 more gold, so he needs to grind/buy 30 gold to grab his item.

That seems to be a very precise case here, but in the game that applies everywhere for everything and it must really increase gems sales. But keep in mind than that’s only my own theory on the matter, I see no other reasons to make such gold sinks.

Posted by: Saidor.7028

Saidor.7028

So what happens if you are skint and have no money and die????

Posted by: Tifa Lockheart Ex.9614

Tifa Lockheart Ex.9614

you hang around waiting for someone to rez you. had this happen to me once, flat broke no money to teleport to WP. this is a design flaw as far as i see it.

Posted by: postman.6915

postman.6915

They aren’t terrible, just manage your money better.

Since launch I have never, not once gone “oh gee, guess i cant go anywhere because I’m out of money and the WP cost is too much”. Either you are doing something very wrong in trying to make gold, or you are dieing way too often and broke from repair costs. Money is extremely easy to make in this game.

Undead Lords [UDL] Stormbluff Isle
Keepin it real since ’94
http://forums.undeadlords.net

Posted by: Assassinin.4963

Assassinin.4963

I believe in that ‘dead’ state, you can still chat, open and send email to seek help from friend.

If nobody helps you, you can open up Trading post to sell you inventory items.

If you have no inventory items, you can ungear and sell you armor and/or weapons.

If you have no armor or weapon (fully naked), you can sell your inventory bags.

If you have no inventory bags, TOTALLY NOTHING, you can seek help from technical support offline.

If technical support refused to help you, I think it is not unreasonable to delete GW2 and move on to other game.

Posted by: xknyght.3098

xknyght.3098

I believe in that ‘dead’ state, you can still chat, open and send email to seek help from friend.

If you have no inventory items, you can ungear and sell you armor and/or weapons.

If you have no inventory bags, TOTALLY NOTHING, you can seek help from technical support offline.

If technical support refused to help you, I think it is not unreasonable to delete GW2 and move on to other game.

AMD FX 8120 @ 4.2 ghz|Thermaltake Frio|ASUS Sabertooth 990fx|MSI Radeon HD 7870|G. Skill 8gb

Posted by: xknyght.3098

xknyght.3098

I suggest waypointing per map to cost money, but inside a map shouldn’t cost you anything given that you need to repair most of the time.

I like this idea.

AMD FX 8120 @ 4.2 ghz|Thermaltake Frio|ASUS Sabertooth 990fx|MSI Radeon HD 7870|G. Skill 8gb

Posted by: Kiviar.7063

Kiviar.7063

Its just a tactic to forestall the growth of player wealth and extend player grind and therefore retention.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

map to map transfers cost money

intermap transfers cost karma

Posted by: Tifa Lockheart Ex.9614

Tifa Lockheart Ex.9614

even at that point where you are dead and try to selling on TP you won’t get that money until you go and collect it lol.