"I gathered the mats so it was free"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

It at least saves you cost of the TP fee.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

There is no matter of perspective. One way costs you gold. The other way costs you the mats. Both of which were gained while playing.

Posted by: Rebzer.3204

Rebzer.3204

At first it surprised me that so few people here seem to understand economics. But then I realized how bad most people are at managing their own finances that it really isn’t so surprising that this discussion is taking place.

Just to clarify what should be common knowledge:
- Opportunity cost is not an “opinion.”
- Opportunity cost is not a “perspective.”
- Opportunity cost is not a “point of view.”

Opportunity costs exists with every choice you make whether you like it or not.

Rebzer Rex [EK] | Blackgate

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

At first it surprised me that so few people here seem to understand economics. But then I realized how bad most people are at managing their own finances that it really isn’t so surprising that this discussion is taking place.

Except that you’re playing a game…where how much ‘economics’ you want to deal with is completely up to you.

By your logic, you are wasting 7.25$ an hour sitting on your kitten playing a game, when you could instead by out working a minimum wage part time job. Seems you’re choosing to ignore ‘opportunity cost’ just fine there because it doesn’t suit your view.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Except that you’re playing a game…where how much ‘economics’ you want to deal with is completely up to you.

By your logic, you are wasting 7.25$ an hour sitting on your kitten playing a game, when you could instead by out working a minimum wage part time job. Seems you’re choosing to ignore ‘opportunity cost’ just fine there because it doesn’t suit your view.

He is yes, in a way. But it doesn’t refute his point. Sometimes the fun gained by gaming is also more valuable than a petty 7.25$.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

He is yes, in a way. Doesn’t refute his point. Sometimes the fun gained by gaming is also more valuable than a petty 7.25$.

Which then in turn proves perspective and point of view. We did not say that opportunity costs don’t exist, simply that we don’t consider it, just as he doesn’t consider it when he’s playing the game.

And the same could be said for someone’s feeling of accomplishment in their crafting (more valuable than the gold the mats might have netted). Which is precisely perspective.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

He is yes, in a way. Doesn’t refute his point.

Which then in turn proves perspective and point of view. We did not say that opportunity costs don’t exist, simply that we don’t consider it, just as he doesn’t consider it when he’s playing the game.

That’s fair enough.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

No, you cannot apply real world economics in this way to a game. Real economic models can only be partially applied to video games.

You especially cannot apply managing funds in a game to managing funds in real life.

Posted by: Rebzer.3204

Rebzer.3204

You can decide how much economics you want to pay attention to, but just ignoring it doesn’t make it go away.

And btw I don’t ignore opportunity cost when thinking about leisure, including gaming. I just place a higher value on leisure time than 7.25/hr, so I don’t work an extra job.

Rebzer Rex [EK] | Blackgate

Posted by: Draehl.2681

Draehl.2681

No, you cannot apply real world economics in this way to a game. Real economic models can only be partially applied to video games.

You especially cannot apply managing funds in a game to managing funds in real life.

He wasn’t equating real world money management with in-game money management. He was was drawing a parallel between people’s lack of understanding of the concept of opportunity cost with the mishandling of their real life funds.

Not that understanding opportunity cost would necessarily change their decision in how to play. But being cognizant that it exists makes you better aware of your choices. I am fully aware that champ farming is the best gold per hour. But I still choose to farm resource nodes as I enjoy it far more. The difference is I am knowingly making a poorer choice based on my enjoyment, whereas someone else is coming to false conclusions about the value of mats they gather might make a different choice were they more aware.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You can decide how much economics you want to pay attention to, but just ignoring it doesn’t make it go away.

Never said it did….

And btw I don’t ignore opportunity cost when thinking about leisure, including gaming. I just place a higher value on leisure time than 7.25/hr, so I don’t work an extra job.

Use whatever phrase you want, it’s the same thing. The people that opt to craft using their mats, rather than selling them, value the accomplishment of leveling their crafting, value the AP, or value the armor they made to wear over the opportunity cost of the material. Same difference.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I went with an average which I feel 2 world bosses is pretty fair average. Quite a few times I got 4 rares from just one boss, very rarely i dont get 5 -6 rares from 2 world bosses. besides the 15 minutes per boss is also a worst case scenario. generally its over in 1/2 the that time. In any case in the long run it will average out anyway. I do not feel this was a low estimate at all, it was an average estimate. a low estimate would be getting all the rares from 1 world boss and finishing that world boss in 6 minutes.

Considering I’ve never gotten more than two rares from a world boss — that’s never, as in not once — you are playing a different game. Two per boss is not all that common. I can’t say 4 rares from one boss has never happened, but I’ve never seen it, or heard anyone claim it before this. However, neither can you say the experience you’re reporting is typical.

Getting 3-4 rares from one boss is pretty common for me, especially Maw, SB and FE…the dragons not so much.

You missed one:
-Opportunity cost doesn’t really matter in a “video game”

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

That is like saying I spend 40 years working to buy a house. So the house is free.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

That is like saying I spend 40 years working to buy a house. So the house is free.

I think it’s more like saying, someone gave me this house for free but that doesn’t mean it’s worth money or that my net worth went up.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Or closer to: Over the last 40 years, in my travels I have gathered all of the necessary materials that didn’t cost me anything out of pocket to build my own house, thus it was free.

Either way, it isn’t technically free. You acquired $XXX worth of materials over the course of X time. In this particular example you would need to consider the time it took to find the materials, transport the materials (and the gas/mileage to do so), store the materials (depreciating over time as they would lose value the longer they are stored), and the time it took to build the house.

I realize this isn’t apples to apples, but the idea is similar.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….