I give up... No Map Completion!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: punkinkatt.4823

punkinkatt.4823

Something very weird just happened to this thread for me. After my last reply, to Celtic Lady, instead of the thread coming back up, with all it’s postings, I got another reply input box. I went back to the forum and clicked on this thread again and again, all I get is this reply box.

Hoping using it will fix this issue. O.o

Xev Munroe, Human Ranger: “I love my menagerie
of animals. I love them more than I do most
people. Even solo, I am never alone!”

punkinkatt.4823

Something very weird just happened to this thread for me. After my last reply, to Celtic Lady, instead of the thread coming back up, with all it’s postings, I got another reply input box. I went back to the forum and clicked on this thread again and again, all I get is this reply box.

Yup, but that was just weird!

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I really really really suggest that you keep an eye out all week for Stonemist Castle in Eternal Battlegrounds. If SoS has it at the moment, you may even get lucky. They may have a waypoint in it. You won’t get lucky on reset night as the upgrade for the waypoint takes time.

And no, it doesn’t take 30, but those 30 want a chance at loot.

Just what kind of loot do they get that is worth that kind of aggressiveness? I haven’t noticed anything impressive in the loot I’ve gotten.

Bags bags bags. Bags which contain tier 6 materials, and any loot that would drop from any level 80 mob… And I think other players can drop precursors.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

The dreaded and infamous Forum Bug.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

2 straight hours last night alone. As of right now, I’ve probably spent about 5.5-6 hours all total just between yesterday and today and I am NOT a fan of WvW.

I’ve completed 2 borderlands maps. The one from this week while we were blue and the one we got at reset tonight (we’re green now). Done, don’t have to go back until next Friday night.

On Friday evening, I check what colour we are. If it’s a colour I’ve not finished the borderland for, I’ll check the borderland. And get what I need to get. An then some person will kill me even though I don’t even try to retaliate (in fact, just keep running) so, I’ll go back to the nearest WP and try again. And again. And again. Let them be happy for being unsporting (killing an unarmed person would be the comparison, I sometimes remove all weapons from my character as well). (Before the armour repair cost removal, I often even went naked to avoid having to pay for armour repairs as I wouldn’t get any coin in return anyway.) It’s worse when they take their time to get you defeated as you can’t WP when you’re only downed…

And once I have the borderland of that colour, I’ll check the EB for that same colour. With the same strategy (though, I find EB is a bit easier, except the two sp’s in the middle, near the dredge and the ogres)

The only real problem I have are the colours. It’s a pain if you have to wait several weeks before you are finally that last colour so you can finish the EB and that last borderland…

punkinkatt.4823

2 straight hours last night alone. As of right now, I’ve probably spent about 5.5-6 hours all total just between yesterday and today and I am NOT a fan of WvW.

I’ve completed 2 borderlands maps. The one from this week while we were blue and the one we got at reset tonight (we’re green now). Done, don’t have to go back until next Friday night.

On Friday evening, I check what colour we are. If it’s a colour I’ve not finished the borderland for, I’ll check the borderland. And get what I need to get. An then some person will kill me even though I don’t even try to retaliate (in fact, just keep running) so, I’ll go back to the nearest WP and try again. And again. And again. Let them be happy for being unsporting (killing an unarmed person would be the comparison, I sometimes remove all weapons from my character as well). (Before the armour repair cost removal, I often even went naked to avoid having to pay for armour repairs as I wouldn’t get any coin in return anyway.) It’s worse when they take their time to get you defeated as you can’t WP when you’re only downed…

And once I have the borderland of that colour, I’ll check the EB for that same colour. With the same strategy (though, I find EB is a bit easier, except the two sp’s in the middle, near the dredge and the ogres)

The only real problem I have are the colours. It’s a pain if you have to wait several weeks before you are finally that last colour so you can finish the EB and that last borderland…

Sounds like a good strategy to me. I have completed blue and green borderlands, and just completed EB. I lucked up there… I normally don’t log in this early in the day, but I wanted to check Stonemist, which to my surprise, I already had, lol. But, in addition, Green, which is our color this week, controlled almost all of EB. I died only once during a skirmish when one of our controlled areas was attacked while I was getting that PoI.

So, just one more borderland (red) and I am done. Never going to set foot in WvW again after that.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Sounds like a good strategy to me. I have completed blue and green borderlands, and just completed EB. I lucked up there… I normally don’t log in this early in the day, but I wanted to check Stonemist, which to my surprise, I already had, lol. But, in addition, Green, which is our color this week, controlled almost all of EB. I died only once during a skirmish when one of our controlled areas was attacked while I was getting that PoI.

So, just one more borderland (red) and I am done. Never going to set foot in WvW again after that.

Yea, today is the first day after reset and the weekend so more people are active and it looks like your server had more good commanders and players on than the others if your server had almost full control of EB.

Also, since it seems right now your server is doing great in WvW, keep an eye out on red borderlands. You should at least be able to get about 33% of it, if not more via running to camps and stuff outside of castles, keeps, and towers. And you may have more of it if your server keeps up the good playing or the other servers stop playing as much.

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Day 1 – I have no chance, it’s impossible, it should be removed, i give up.
Day 2 – Just one BL map left and i’m done, yay.

Storm in a teacup anyone?

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I did 100% WvW map completion in a ranger in exotics. It took me about 6 weeks in total if I remember correctly, but of course that was just little bits of time over that period, not 6 weeks of nothing but WvW mapping.

I think, from past conversations, the biggest issue with it is that you simply can’t approach WvW maps like most people do PvE maps. You can’t run around the entire thing and complete it in one go, you have to keep coming back and doing little (non-adjacent) bits.

For me it was a combination of watching map chat (and holding down ctrl+alt) to figure out where the enemy zerg was and staying away from them, and running with my zerg if they were going somewhere I needed.

Different times of day help too. I managed to do all of Stone Mist Castle one Sunday morning at about 8am. There were only about 15 people from my server in the map, but even less from the others and with a few sneaky tactics we managed to take it over before they knew we were there. Other places, like towers in the borderlands, were much easier to do at peak time when everything was changing hands frequently.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

You pretty much have to wait for your server to rotate to the right areas and for off hours. Otherwise, I agree. WvW needed for map completion is a terrible idea.

However, rumor has it this might be changed in the near future. . . .

It is terrible for PVPers to do all the PVE maps it weeks of PVE to get 100%,only fair we have the WvW so its hard for the pvers to.

punkinkatt.4823

The results of the encouragement from kind people, who gave advice on how to do it with less aggravation, instead of being critical and rude.

punkinkatt.4823

You pretty much have to wait for your server to rotate to the right areas and for off hours. Otherwise, I agree. WvW needed for map completion is a terrible idea.

However, rumor has it this might be changed in the near future. . . .

It is terrible for PVPers to do all the PVE maps it weeks of PVE to get 100%,only fair we have the WvW so its hard for the pvers to.

Someone else mentioned earlier in this thread that when PvE’er’s try to map WvW, they have to contend with enemy players killing them. When WvW’er’ map PvE, no one kills them. It may be a larger place, but it is much easier to do.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

I think team work and coordination can be applied to both wvw and pve map completion.

Some areas may require extra effort and assistance from other friendly players, others you can just run to it yourself.

You may die a few times to pve mobs cause of too many mobs trained on yourself or a champ or event in the way of a skill point or poi, but if you get more allies or wait for the event to clear, you can get it later.

Same with wvw, but the opposing mobs are player controlled, and the events are keep captures. It requires “more” help than 1 or 2 other people though, and it “feels” more vindictive because a person is killing you and not an emotionless machine.

So if you get over the fact that a “player” killed you and view the death as simply another setback (don’t take it personally), then it is pretty much the same thing. The stigma is that pressure that someone else out there made a conscious decision to attack you. Is that bad? That IS what the environment is structured after, and npc mobs will attack you on sight as well.

Death is death, just keep at it and try again or with more allies.

Now if they come over and try to tbag you or camp your body, then they are just jerks and that aggravates me…but letting that get to you mean they were effective in what they want to do (bullies), and you just need to either man up and beat them at their own game (not always productive) or learn to shrug it off and move on because feeding into it just fuels the hate on both sides (more productive). Mature decisions people, mature reactions.

(edited by CMF.5461)

punkinkatt.4823

I think team work and coordination can be applied to both wvw and pve map completion.

Some areas may require extra effort and assistance from other friendly players, others you can just run to it yourself.

You may die a few times to pve mobs cause of too many mobs trained on yourself or a champ or event in the way of a skill point or poi, but if you get more allies or wait for the event to clear, you can get it later.

Same with wvw, but the opposing mobs are player controlled, and the events are keep captures. It requires “more” help than 1 or 2 other people though, and it “feels” more vindictive because a person is killing you and not an emotionless machine.

So if you get over the fact that a “player” killed you and view the death as simply another setback (don’t take it personally), then it is pretty much the same thing. The stigma is that pressure that someone else out there made a conscious decision to attack you. Is that bad? That IS what the environment is structured after, and npc mobs will attack you on sight as well.

Death is death, just keep at it and try again or with more allies.

Now if they come over and try to tbag you or camp your body, then they are just jerks and that aggravates me…but letting that get to you mean they were effective in what they want to do (bullies), and you just need to either man up and beat them at their own game (not always productive) or learn to shrug it off and move on because feeding into it just fuels the hate on both sides (more productive). Mature decisions people, mature reactions.

The difference between getting ’aggro’d’ in WvW and getting aggro’d in PvE is that in PvE, you can run out of a mob’s, even a Champions, spawn area. They won’t follow beyond that area. You can escape. In WvW, enemy players don’t break off their attack, no matter how far you run, and in some instances, they are faster than you…. there is no escape.

(edited by punkinkatt.4823)

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

The results of the encouragement from kind people, who gave advice on how to do it with less aggravation, instead of being critical and rude.

I know, you’ll even find my suggestions on the first page.

This is still a rather good example of why the wvw part of map completion isn’t the horrible impossible task it is often being painted as on these forums (though mapping the Borderlands 3 times is a bit tedious).

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

If I can tell that someone in WvW is completing a vista or skill challenge or just getting a POI, I don’t chase down and harrass them. Recognizing that there are non-pvp people on these maps that just want to get their maps done (easy to tell because they often run to predictable places and are often alone) is just being a decent person.

Good luck to you on eventually finishing your map.

Agreed.

I think class has a lot to do with it. On my Thief it took forever, I guess people see one alone and assume it’s a roamer looking for a fight. I’m talking groups of players chasing me for 10 minutes across a map just to get a kill while I’m just running to a vista. On my Guardian I would run past whole zergs and get completely ignored.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

punkinkatt.4823

If I can tell that someone in WvW is completing a vista or skill challenge or just getting a POI, I don’t chase down and harrass them. Recognizing that there are non-pvp people on these maps that just want to get their maps done (easy to tell because they often run to predictable places and are often alone) is just being a decent person.

Agreed.

I think class has a lot to do with it. On my Thief it took forever, I guess people see one alone and assume it’s a roamer looking for a fight. I’m talking groups of players chasing me for 10 minutes across a map just to get a kill while I’m just running to a vista. On my Guardian I would run past whole zergs and get completely ignored.

Like thieves, rangers aren’t ignored either. I was trying to get as much of red borderlands as I could last night, while our server (green) had quite a bit of it conquered. I was standing at a Vista in one of the camps, the one to the east and midway between north and south. There are 2 vista’s there. I got the first one and was making my way to the second one (the one on the ledge overlooking the water) and red re-claimed the encampment. They came straight after me, even though it was obvious I was just getting a vista. They ’aggro’d’ me just as I was close, so even though I reached the vista, I couldn’t view it. As they were attacking, I turned to look at them, my back to the edge of the drop off, and hit my ‘V’ button and over the edge, into the water I went, once again depriving an enemy of any loot they might have gotten from my death. If I could have waved at them as I safely fell to the water, I would have.

I will have to retry to get that vista or wait until my server is red, but that is ok. I am 99% done with map completion now.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Sorrow’s Furnace is in the bottom of the bronze, and I’ve done maps on four characters. You just have to be patient. Removing WvW from world completion is not going to happen, so learn to adapt.

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

I hope you all are right that WvW will be removed from the WC requirements with HoT.

Why is this not removed NOW? Why do we have to wait MONTHS for something that shouldn’t have been implemented in the first place?! Sort it out NOW.

punkinkatt.4823

100% map complete! Done!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

100% map complete! Done!

Congrats! See I told you that you could do it.

The Burninator

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

100% map complete! Done!

Good work. Now go do it again!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

100% map complete! Done!

Congratulations !

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

There’s only one thing to understand: when WvW people go into PVE to complete maps, the PVE people don’t kill their characters.

There is indeed only one thing to understand: This is an MMO. The “MM” part stands for MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER. That means there are other people like you who also want to get 100% map completion. Instead of whining about WvW map completion on this forum, find people who also need WvW map completion on your server, group up, go to WvW and just do it. Just frikkin do it. It’s not that hard. Not getting killed in WvW isn’t that difficult when you’re grouped up, unless you’re overrun by the enemy zerg, which only happens once in a while.

Another option is running with your server’s zerg. They might not cap every point you need for map completion, but they’ll cap most of it. Running with the zerg will usually get you at least 70% of the map you’re on.

Seriously, this is so frikkin’ simple and people still complain about it. It’s pathetic and it boggles my mind.

punkinkatt.4823

100% map complete! Done!

Yes you did! Thank you for that pep talk!

100% map complete! Done!

Thanks. I’m not sure how to do it again on the same character and know what I have and have not redone, but I have started WvW mapping with my lv66 elementalist. Her gear isn’t suitable for the area and she still needs more traits unlocked (haven’t worked on her much, so she’s rather gimp), but, except for the skill points, I’ve gotten everything in the green borderlands.

100% map complete! Done!

Congratulations !

Thank you!

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Well done. I’m building up the courage to go do it for a 4th time XD

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Congrats on finishing, OP! I’m currently finishing up completion on toon number five or six; waiting on one last POI in EB. I think it’s number six. I’ve lost count. I have too many alts.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

100% map complete! Done!

Gratz! I’m so glad you did it!

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

100% map complete! Done!

Thanks. I’m not sure how to do it again on the same character and know what I have and have not redone, but I have started WvW mapping with my lv66 elementalist. Her gear isn’t suitable for the area and she still needs more traits unlocked (haven’t worked on her much, so she’s rather gimp), but, except for the skill points, I’ve gotten everything in the green borderlands.

There you go. You’ll be an expert in no time

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

100% map complete! Done!

Well done! I’ve been watching this thread, (thought about posting tips and whatnot in it, yet ultimately posted them in a different thread on the same topic); just had to chime in with some congratulations for you! A +1 and warm internet fuzzies to you, punkinkatt!

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Not after a legendary, just map completion. Re-read the title of this thread plz.

I assumed, as I see many others have, because it’s the only use for the Gifts that come from world completion.

So I suppose you’re in it for the star?

Still.. get over yourself and do the WvW maps. If it’s important you, the extra effort will make the completion achievement so much sweeter.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

A ranger (full exotic armor) doesn’t stand a chance in WvW when my server obviously does not do WvW. Enemy heavy armors and thieves have too much on a lone ranger (NO PUN INTENEDED). They were in OUR territory and there wasn’t enough of us to defeat them. Like, maybe 5 of us.

I absolutely give up on map completion.

I hope you all are right that WvW will be removed from the WC requirements with HoT.

I completed it on the place 25 server in EU, with an ele. Your argument is invalid.

And congrats, I see you manned up and did it

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

So you started this thread but did it anyways? lol… facepalm

But in any case, I still think the method of acquiring a legendary should still be altered so that you can do it in any one game mode instead of all three. If not, it should require you to play in all game modes, which is not currently the case in regards to sPvP.

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

Congratulations on your map completion.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Someone suggested earlier that there should be separate achievements for PvE and WvW map completion. Each with its unique title and each rewarding one gift of Exploration. Best of both worlds, really.

Oh and props to the OP for manning up and getting it done. Bet you feel you’ve actually achieved something great now

One – Piken Square

Posted by: arooboo.5143

arooboo.5143

Agreed.

I’m working on my completion ATM (99%, woo!), and as expected, I’ve been running into all types while doing so.

I tend to run around using a tonic, and I’ve managed to run by a pair of people, as well as a small group, and no one batted an eye at me. I’ve run up to a vista and had someone start attacking, but then stopped when they saw me running toward the vista itself, and then I’ve had that kitten who still chased me down, despite the fact that I was running far, far away and trying to hide. lol

Just have to keep at it, and I really do appreciate those kind souls who don’t attack me as I’m running past them in my griffin-costume <3

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I’m working on my 14th time o.o….waiting and waiting til we get to be the next color in WvW and working on everything else in the meantime. 71% done.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Ugh I’m only missing 2 vistas in blue BL, NW tower and garrison… guess I’ll have to wait until I’m on blue team again.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

punkinkatt.4823

Not after a legendary, just map completion. Re-read the title of this thread plz.

I assumed, as I see many others have, because it’s the only use for the Gifts that come from world completion.

So I suppose you’re in it for the star?

Still.. get over yourself and do the WvW maps. If it’s important you, the extra effort will make the completion achievement so much sweeter.

>_>

Someone didn’t read the whole thread before posting this.

<_<

punkinkatt.4823

So you started this thread but did it anyways? lol… facepalm

But in any case, I still think the method of acquiring a legendary should still be altered so that you can do it in any one game mode instead of all three. If not, it should require you to play in all game modes, which is not currently the case in regards to sPvP.

Yeah, I did it anyway… got lots of encouragement and tips on how to do it in this thread. Totally worth having posted my original ‘gripe’.

Posted by: Tachyon.5897

Tachyon.5897

I need Desolation to be the Red team now, I only need one POI and one Vista on Eternal Battlegrounds.

Posted by: WolftheAngel.4089

WolftheAngel.4089

My Charr ranger was the first character I ever had to finish map completion. I’d either be really sneaky or just wait for the map to reset. =P

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A ranger (full exotic armor) doesn’t stand a chance in WvW when my server obviously does not do WvW.

My mesmer disagrees. My server did well sometimes, but I also got WvW map completion by being persistent and patient: I worked on ‘our third’ of the each map as we were assigned different colors (back in the day when this was never randomly adjusted, so sometimes waiting weeks to get a particular color). I also tried to go out at weird hours, when there weren’t many people fighting at all.

Another thing one can do is use the LFG tool (or /map) to find partners to explore with. A couple of times, I’ve seen commanders volunteer to take a side trip to help folks get a POI.

I absolutely give up on map completion.

I’m sorry to hear that. I felt it was about the only substantive challenge to map completion and I enjoyed having to work through a game mode that held no interest for me originally.

To be sure, that’s my personal take on the requirement and I can see why some PvE-focused players aren’t interested.

I haven’t seen anything from the Dev teams that supports this theory. (It came from people seeing a demo with the map completion summary was missing exactly the number of POI, Vistas, and SPs that make up the current 4 WvW maps. But that could be because the test servers don’t include WvW yet, as well as several other reasons.)

Personally, I’d be sorry to see this change, even if it wouldn’t be that surprising considering all the push back about it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

If they do remove wvw map completion from the map completion achievement, I hope that they will find some unique reward for completing wvw maps (and in good business practice give it to my 8/9 characters with 100% wvw maps). Cheers~

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I’m working on my 14th time o.o….waiting and waiting til we get to be the next color in WvW and working on everything else in the meantime. 71% done.

Not altoholic enough to have that many chars. Having a 6th character is already more than I would have considered. I may, just may buy a 7th slot and make an ele after my revenant… 7 times world explo…ding head