I had 40 gold and I felt poor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fox Reeveheart.1890

Fox Reeveheart.1890

Everything is too expensive, EVERYTHING. To me this game is already reaching an equivalent point in GW1 where platinum wasn’t viable anymore and people had to start using globs and z-keys as currency.

want to get that craft from 400 to 500? Pfft you don’t even have half of what it takes in buying stuff of TP to get what you need (because you’ll never actually have everything you need to start out with)

When scarlet’s kiss/rainbow came out, I had 10 gold and I couldn’t afford it, people said “Oh more people will get them and the price will go down” Well I was farming regardless and got about more gold over the course of the event. Those skins instead have jumped up to several HUNDRED gold in price, even before the event ended. Basically because I couldn’t afford it then, I’ll never afford it now.

I can’t believe how unfriendly this game is to the casual player in concern to endgame content. I never really thought about it until I realized that with 40 gold there really wasn’t anything I could do anyways with it.

Now some of you may have hundreds of gold I’m sure, but for someone that has plays now and then (and plays in bursts especially with decent new content) getting that gold took me a few weeks of play. I am frankly exhausted and yet I can’t really get anything nice with the money I had earned. I spent 30 gold on mats for getting to 500 armorcrafting WITH the crafting booster active and got roughly 40 points.

Sorry I had to rant.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Welcome to the lie of chasing gold. While you were earning 40 gold so was Everyone Else.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Yes you are right. You need to farm like crazy, get lucky or play trading post PvP.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I can’t believe how unfriendly this game is to the casual player in concern to endgame content. I never really thought about it until I realized that with 40 gold there really wasn’t anything I could do anyways with it.

There is no endgame content where “you can’t really do anything” with a 1g exotic rifle instead of Scarlet’s Kiss, apart from 20+ fractals where you need agony resistance.

If you insist on being “casual”, get the “casual” stuff.

If you are willing to become a “pro”, you’ll get “pro” stuff.

If you insist on being “casual”, but want to get the “pro” stuff, then invest your money instead of time and buy gems to convert to gold. Simple as that.

20 level 80s and counting.

Fox Reeveheart.1890

so you play every now and then and expect to have tons of gold on your account? if it bothers you to be that broke in game you can always buy gems and turn it in to gold, or is gold hard to get IRL too?

gold is quite difficult to get in large amounts in real life o_O

Also the point I am making is that I saved ALL my cash for WEEKS, spending on literally just maintenance things like armor repairs. I haven’t bought any new armors or weapons. I saved every gold and silver I could muster. The point is that you would think you could get something nice after saving all that BUT YOU CAN’T!

This game only rewards saving to the extreme degree.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

so you play every now and then and expect to have tons of gold on your account? if it bothers you to be that broke in game you can always buy gems and turn it in to gold, or is gold hard to get IRL too?

gold is quite difficult to get in large amounts in real life o_O

Also the point I am making is that I saved ALL my cash for WEEKS, spending on literally just maintenance things like armor repairs. I haven’t bought any new armors or weapons. I saved every gold and silver I could muster. The point is that you would think you could get something nice after saving all that BUT YOU CAN’T!

This game only rewards saving to the extreme degree.

Can’t say I agree with this. You can play just the meta events and get more in WEEKS of play than that, not even getting lucky drops just breaking down the rares and selling the mats.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Sounds like you just weren’t making money very efficiently.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

It’s OK to have less trust me the more u have the more u want to spend spend spend.

vvuevv

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Personally, I like the place gold is right now; Doing whatever I like in the game feels rewarding enough, and the phasing towards my goals are good.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: calavel.6249

calavel.6249

Well to keep things a bit in perspective, you are talking about a very rare drop from a time-limited event.
Not a lot of players have it, because having it is a sign of extreme luck/wealth/lots of time invested in the game. If you are a casual player, perhaps you should set your goals a bit lower? There are lots of nice rifle skins, and you can use any of them for the price of a transmutation crystal.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

I can’t believe how unfriendly this game is to the casual player in concern to endgame content.

Just saw this gem. Wow.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I agree with OP on some points. Yes, things are expensive, and yes it takes a huge time investment in game to get the gold to buy the nice shiny things. However, that being said, it’s not a game flaw. The TP is basically a player driven economy. People are going to mark up the price when they are selling the “really good items”, thus causing the next person to sell it at that price, or higher, in order to get the current fair market price. It’s basic economics.

As far as crafting to 500 and spending 30g to get 40 points. You are doing it wrong. There are plenty of crafting guides that lay out which things to craft and which to avoid. Some things give much more EXP then others. I was able to get from 400-500 for less than that. If you are worried about cost of the mats, then farm them. Yes it can be tedious, but it’s a great way to make money as well as get those mats you need. Just sell all the mats you don’t need, and with the prices going nowhere but up, you’ll make a decent amount of money. But, just like IRL, you’ll have to work for it.

For those with lots of gold, they either spent real money for gems, and converted them, or play the trading post. There are forums and real time trackers of what each item is doing in the trading post , when and what to buy and when to sell. Just don’t expect to become rich being a casual player, and not willing to put in the work to get the gold.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

I really, really disagree.

Casual players often have difficulty getting up to the stat level of less casual players. This need not be the case in GW2. Exotics are perfectly acceptable for every activity outside of Fractals. With that in mind, you can earn stats through Karma, Dungeon Tokens, L400 crafting, drops, buying outright from the trading post, and World vs World. That’s a lot of options and maybe more I’ve missed.

The point is… you can easily earn stats to be competitive or desirable in PvE. If you need (read: cannot possibly live without) the more expensive or rare skins in the game and cannot play enough to obtain these items then maybe the game is not for you. If you’re willing to accept that casual players may be locked out of achieving certain skins on a cost or time basis then you’ll be fine.

This game needs those more valuable items in order to try to keep players invested and give them something to play for.

My advice is compromise a bit on what you want. work harder for it, or give up on the game. I suggest compromising. The game is fantastic if you can live without those expensive aesthetics. This game is pretty fair on Casuals from a stats point of view but I still think that MMOs need that little bit of RNG loot to keep people trying the content. Sucks a bit when that content ends I suppose.

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

The following is just my opinion:
Do you remember when the new top items and cool skins where introduced for a set amount of time spent running dungeons or doing dinamic events?
Ok, now forget about it and bow to your new RNG God and his flipping trading post prophets.

The rules are simple now: are you a casual player and not a pro (grinder)?
Work in real, buy gems with money and buy gold with gems.
Gold is your new meta across the game, your money is and has always been the meta for anet.

They could have followed the expansions route, but they preferred to focus on microtransaction, so this is what you get right now.
Sadly you can just accept it and due your lack of free time and money play with old skins and mediocre stats or leave.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

I’d like to start with saying I agree with everyone saying it’s ridicilous you’re complaining you can’t afford some extremely rare skin. Now let’s see how we can make your ‘casual’ life a bit more bareable:

1. Trade your Laurels for crafting bags (only do this if you never intend on doing fractals)
2. Sell the materials you don’t need, don’t hoard them.
3. Do the occasional farm for money when you really want more money.

People that spend more time in a game will always be able to afford more than those who don’t. MMO’s will always have RNG because if everyone would get the same rewards, no-one had something to trade or hunt after. Anet should never want people to obtain gold too easy due to their gem-gold, gold-gem conversion. Anet is a company with the goal to make money, not a charity.

(edited by Esmee.1067)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If you are only playing the game now and then, that’s rather like working now and then but expecting to be able to buy expensive luxury goods. That’s what Scarlet’s Kiss is, an expensive luxury item.

So either figure out how to work the market, exchange gems for gold or downgrade your wants to fit your pocketbook.

Fox Reeveheart.1890

Well, part of the deal is that I can afford scarlet’s kiss now when it was first released. It was around 30-40 gold. But it just kept climbing after that. So if you don’t have enough money at the beginning you will never have enough.

And to quote esmee about the laurels for crafting bags. I did one of those and got like… an armored scale, a crystalline dust and a vicious claw, I was expecting something more along the lines of some orichalcum ore and gossamer scraps. If I spend all my 50-something laurels on those bags then I’m just going to end up with a bunch of those things.

Also, I been playing since beta weekends and 3-day early headstart. in roughly over a year and a half we already reached the point I was talking about.

See I been using the exact same armor and the exact same weapons for the past 8 months at the very least, since summer 2013. I got a new longbow but thats because I FINALLY turned in my endgame pact token.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

FYI: Armored scale, crystalline dust, and vicious claws are T6 materials that sell between 20s and 40s a piece on the trading post (far more than a single orichalcum ore or gossamer strap will go for). And I’ll bet you’re sitting on a bunch of mats that would sell for quite a lot of gold. You just need to actually look and see what will sell.

pdavis.8031

I like the end game content. With all the new content coming out every 2 weeks, there is ALWAYS something to do. There is also WvWvW and PvP, as well as awesome crafting opportunities. To say that this game is unfriendly to casual players in concern to end game is just not even remotely true. I’m a casual player and am just about finished with a complete set of ascended armor. Each piece takes about 2-3 weeks of playing a couple of hours a night. Less if I’m lucky.

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

Don’t foget about salvaging for mats too. Spending an hour running the frost gorge champ train will net you a BUNCH of items to salvage for mats, with a respectable amount of ori and goss.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

• Step one: Run all 3 paths of AC
  • Step two: Salvage everything not exotic
  • Step three: List everything of moderate or higher value on the TP -if it’s worth more than 10 copper above vendor prices, list it.
  • Step four: Collect your profits

Congratulations, you just made 10-15g in under an hour. now, you can suppliment this with other simple dungeon runs, like CoF and CoE, or you can hop the champ train and ride it all the way to moneyville.

When I made the last push to get my legendary, I was raking in 30-40g a day -playing no more than 4 hours a day. Making gold isn’t all that difficult to do in GW2, you just have to want it badly enough.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

pdavis.8031

Quarktastic, I might need to try that

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

I like to run some quick and easy dungeon paths daily. AC1/3, CoF1/2, SE1/3 will give you 10g+ in 1h30.

EDIT: yeah, Quarktastic said it all, though I usually only salvage blues and greens worth less than 2s, and sell everything else. You can also exchange dungeon tokens for exotics and salvage them.

(edited by Lucas.9157)

Fermi.2409

Don’t forget boss events and the like. Melandru, for example, can make like 2-3g within ~10 mins.

Posted by: Cassocaster.4576

Cassocaster.4576

With 40 gold you could forge runes and earn a pretty good return. Farm cursed shore, frost sound, fireheart. Run dungeons, run champ trains, farm iron (easily the most plentiful resource in Tyria), there are tons of things to earn money. 20 gold a day is simple, you just have to try.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Dungeons are seriously easy and (usually) fast money. Even just doing the “easy” paths will get you quite a bit of gold, without even including the drops you get.

AC paths 1 and 3 = 3g
CoF paths 1 and 2 = 2g
CoE, all three paths = 3g (plus a chance of charged cores and lodestones, as well as t6 loot bags)
SE paths 1 and 3 = 2g
HotW path 1 (slightly more iffy now that the troll is changed, but still very doable) = 1g

Easy gold.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

There is no endgame content where “you can’t really do anything” with a 1g exotic rifle instead of Scarlet’s Kiss, apart from 20+ fractals where you need agony resistance.

If you insist on being “casual”, get the “casual” stuff.

If you are willing to become a “pro”, you’ll get “pro” stuff.

If you insist on being “casual”, but want to get the “pro” stuff, then invest your money instead of time and buy gems to convert to gold. Simple as that.

You can literally go all the way to 40 taking the least amount of damage from agony with just +5s on all your accessories no AR on weapons or armor in fractals. (assuming infused back piece and rings thats 30 AR right there +15 more for the amulet and 2 trinkets for a total of 45 AR the max for the 30 bracket)

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Fozee.1083

Fozee.1083

I haven’t played in about a year, so you can probably imagine my surprise when I logged in with 20g, which was a good savings back then, and realized I’m incredibly poor.

BioWare/Mythic Moderator, Terror Squid, and Funparty

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

As a casual player, I just play with exotics. Unless you PvP you really don’t need anything higher than that in this game. But, yes, I agree, aesthetic skins are extremely expensive for those of us that don’t “gold farm”. As people said above, if you like dungeons (I don’t) you can grind out some decent gold. Otherwise you’re just going to have to wait a few years for those prices to go down or you earn enough gold to purchase them.

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

Anet please give a legendary for all players !!!!

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

:) I tend to lurk in poverty in this game. There’s always something I’m after (and I’m an altoholic, to make it worse). Getting to 500 in just leatherworking for the ascended/dynamic spinal blades nearly broke me! I’m also a little dungeon averse - I couldn’t do all the paths suggested every day - but if you can, it’s true: you’ll make money.

I make money off my salvaging, farming crafting materials and meta events (technically more salvaging). Despite being poor, I know I can generate cash from this relatively quickly, and in a way that’s not so difficult on me. Set your goal, evaluate the most efficient method of acquisition, and then just do it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go for!

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

(edited by Ceridwen.6703)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

If you are a casual player like myself you have to understand that not everyone is going to be lavished in gold and other currencies. That is just the way it works and has worked with every MMO ever. The more you play, the more time you dedicate, the more likely you are to have better things and more game currency. Not everyone is entitled to everything just for logging in.

As a casual player you have to understand that you are going to be limited in what you can have or afford. It will take you longer to get what you want and some things may be out of your reach. The most prized items are there for those that dedicate more time to playing.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Everything is too expensive, EVERYTHING

Welcome to the lie of chasing gold. While you were earning 40 gold so was Everyone Else.

Actually, people were more than likely earning more! That’s why the cost of living in Tyria is starting to displace players. Just like in the real world, these things happen. It’s why quick gold area’s should get nerfed or the general cost of playing, as in way point and armor repair should be removed.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

If you believe some thing is overpriced, then go farm it yourself instead of buying. If you think that farming it would take longer to farm it than just farming up the gold and buying it, then, guess what, it’s not overpriced.

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

Just run dungeons. Go AC p1-p3+CoF p1 and you’ll get already around 5g in barely one hour if not less. If you want to try something a little harder include CM 1-3, HotW 1, CoF 2, full CoE for extra sure gold, no RNG trash. And if you can, go Arah 1-2-4, each worth 3g26s without count the items you’ll get.

\||||||/
O°v°O

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Sounds like you just weren’t making money very efficiently.

“making money very efficiently” is farming or tp flipping. WHich is the main point – if you don’t specifically farm for it (or get lucky with a precursor/rare ls skin drop), you will remain poor.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Well, how are you playing the game?

Running 7 different dungeon path nets you more than 7g – excluding loots.
(AC 1 and 3, CoF 1 and 2, SE 1 and 3, HotW 1) – you could always add CoE 1,2 and 3 for extras.
Running temple runs nets you more than 10 gold on average, around 7 if unlucky.
Gathering all Ori nodes using 1 toon may net more than 2g.
Killing PvE bosses can be random, due to their timing and RNG of Globs, but still a good source of money.

So unless you are planning to craft legendaries/ascended, I suggest sell T6 mats and Globs and Loot bags for cash.

It’s “easy” to gain gold in this game – that’s why others have many of them . You just need to tune your activities into correct ones.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Fistful of Soysauce.3982

Fistful of Soysauce.3982

lol. how are you farming bro? I’ve amassed 240g within 3 weeks and I started playing the game in February. This an example of complaining about what isn’t there instead of using what IS there to your advantage.

Most of the time you will get what you put into something. The more time you invest in the game, the easier it will be to make money. BTW, the most expensive drop I’ve gotten was a 12g white dye which is still in my inventory, so it isn’t like I’ve had great drops to bring my gold up.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Learn to sell stuff. Unidentified dyes (buy the ones you want), iron, platinum, softwood, all the things sell. Don’t forget to use buy orders to buy stuff instead of paying the asking price.

Do world events, break down the yellows for ectos…sell them if you need money (save them if you’re crafting).

Run some dungeons. A single dungeon run like SE Path 1 gives you more than one gold and takes under 15 minutes.

Do 1 a day and that’s 7 gold a week just from 15 minutes a day. Some people do multiple dungeon runs and get multiples of gold a day.

Gold isn’t that hard to come by, unless you’re not trying to get it.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

It’s “easy” to gain gold in this game – that’s why others have many of them . You just need to tune your activities into correct ones.

In other words, you can’t play to have fun or play as you want. The dev’s want you to do x,y, z, (all instances) and flip the TP. Everything else will keep you poor.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

In other words, you can’t play to have fun or play as you want. The dev’s want you to do x,y, z, (all instances) and flip the TP. Everything else will keep you poor.

Actually there are many paths to get gold in this game. If you run dungeons, you’ll get gold. If you do world event, you’ll get gold. If you just run around doing whatever you want in the open world and you gather mats and sell them you’ll get gold. And of course, you take the time to learn and understand it, you can play the marketplace. There ARE options.

But you do have to sell the stuff you gather or be smart about what you do. That’s the game part.

The only real complain people might have is WvW or SPvP. In PvE there are lots of ways to make gold. And even in WvW you can gather mats.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Casual and endgame are mutually exclusive concept.

For a casual player to obtain endgame content, it takes them a LOT longer. So keep saving your coppers. Maybe one day you will have enough to buy the skin you want.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: McFribble.2349

McFribble.2349

Do 4 dungeon runs a day, and you’ll earn around 6-8 gold per day. It takes MAYBE 2 hrs on average to do. Making money may be slow, but it is assured with dailies.

Posted by: Mantis.5793

Mantis.5793

there sooo many ways to make gold in this game its not funny.
I dont understand posts like this. Either your new or you refuse to do minimal research on how to make gold.
And NO… im not talking about TP flipping…

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

You can play as you want. You can choose to do things that make more, less or no money. You think this game ought to reward all activities equally?

Type /dance in the middle of the Vigil Keep and eventually earn 1g in 10 minutes?

Mantis.5793

You can play as you want. You can choose to do things that make more, less or no money. You think this game ought to reward all activities equally?

Type /dance in the middle of the Vigil Keep and eventually earn 1g in 10 minutes?

this exactly….. im tired of people crying cause they cant make 100 gold an hour doing nothing.

and lol to the “we need to play the tp to make gold”
no you dont
not at all

and im curious….dewolfe
how does someone with over 10k achieves not know how to make gold in this game?

(edited by Mantis.5793)

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

The game has a global marketplace. As such you shouldn’t try to keep ‘Gold’. You should try to keep investments like irl. Identify items that increase in value over time, place buy orders for these, then when you need gold do sell orders.

40 gold currently will only gear out 1 character in all exotics, it’s probably not enough for the best runes/best sigils to be included as well, but it should be enough for Weapons, Armor, and Trinkets.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

During that time, i saw screenshots of people hoarding 20+ full stacks of Sigils that are already raising in price, due to the sigil and rune changes.

Mantis.5793

During that time, i saw screenshots of people hoarding 20+ full stacks of Sigils that are already raising in price, due to the sigil and rune changes.

not sure what this has to do with anything…. yes speculations is part of the economy..
It by far not the only way to make gold in this game.
facepalm some people

Fermi.2409

40 gold currently will only gear out 1 character in all exotics, it’s probably not enough for the best runes/best sigils to be included as well, but it should be enough for Weapons, Armor, and Trinkets.

Even counting the fact that you can get a full set of armor with dungeon tokens, 40g won’t fully kit out a character for PvE with runes, sigils, etc.