I hate Waypoints. (constructive cristsism)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Steven.9803

Steven.9803

I really dont like way point system. Sure its nice to zip from one place to another with ease, but honestly for immersion sake, I would rather ride through a zone to get to the amazing dragon or what ever, then just appering when he spanws and killing him for the sake of loot. It really takes away the epic feeling you get from slaying a beast as large as a dragon.

What would I like to see? Less waypoints, more mounts; at least mounts with a temporary speed boost, with a moderate cool down so zone size wouldn’t shrink.

Posted by: Marche.8123

Marche.8123

There’s a solution for you: Don’t use the waypoints. Professions have ways to get swiftness for quite a while so that’s your “mount” right there. That’s what I do when I just want to wander around.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Why does this strike as more of a ‘Add Mounts, please’ thead than a ‘Waypoint’ thread.

That aside, I don’t use Waypoints too much, unless I’m dead or on the other side of the world.

I also don’t have anything against mounts, except flying ones.

However, in terms of speeding up land travel, every Profession has a form of speed boost, so I can’t really see the need for them.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Steven.9803

I dont really fancy the idea of just wandering on my feet to be honest. Dont get me down, I love to explore on my feet, but traveling to a specific place just seems so, pointless…especially when we have some perfectly good charr vehicals, dolyacks and horses. Broom sticks are fun, but soooo expensive XP

Steven.9803

DaiBish why did u post twice? XP

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I didn’t…totally your imagination…

:D

But yeah, can’t be bothered to wander on virtural feet is a whole new level of lazy

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Steven.9803

I didn’t…totally your imagination…

:D

But yeah, can’t be bothered to wander on virtural feet is a whole new level of lazy

Its not that Im lazy, it just feels silly to me to just walk from point A to point B, or “run into battle” or just zip from one dragon on timer to the next, or to a part of a zone that’s like 5 feet from where you are xP

Posted by: Majora.6028

Majora.6028

I don’t think you really dislike Waypoints, you just want mounts; and you figure if you complain about Waypoints you’ll have a better leg to stand on. There is nothing wrong with Waypoints. They’re a good way to travel for a low cost, anyone who complains about the cost needs to game better. My first 3 characters I never sold anything in the Trading Post, I just NPC’d all my crap, and I would always hit level 80 with around 5 Gold, even after buying swords here and there through the Trading Post.

Posted by: Fathme.5216

Fathme.5216

the only part about waypoints i dont like is that it seems im staring at a loading screen half the time i play this game, did really no one think of this when they were developing it, i mean, beta for such a long time??

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

…then don’t use waypoints? You are not forced into using them.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Steven.9803

I don’t think you really dislike Waypoints, you just want mounts; and you figure if you complain about Waypoints you’ll have a better leg to stand on. There is nothing wrong with Waypoints. They’re a good way to travel for a low cost, anyone who complains about the cost needs to game better. My first 3 characters I never sold anything in the Trading Post, I just NPC’d all my crap, and I would always hit level 80 with around 5 Gold, even after buying swords here and there through the Trading Post.

Okay, the reason why Im inducing mounts is because their another means of transportation that I can think of that would be an alternitive to waypoints. If they were to remove a few waypoints, to make the world a bit more open and less zippy, people would complain the zones are too big, or it takes to long to get to places. Mounts would compensate for that, hence why I suggested them as an alternative.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

I really dont like way point system. Sure its nice to zip from one place to another with ease, but honestly for immersion sake, I would rather ride through a zone to get to the amazing dragon or what ever, then just appering when he spanws and killing him for the sake of loot. It really takes away the epic feeling you get from slaying a beast as large as a dragon.

What would I like to see? Less waypoints, more mounts; at least mounts with a temporary speed boost, with a moderate cool down so zone size wouldn’t shrink.

Neverland in GW2:
No waypoints!
I haz mounts!!! Lovelly Unicorn that i’m riding!
Dragons are that Epic beasts that are extraordinary to slay and feels rewarding too!

Reallity in GW2:
There shall be no Mounts!
Waypoints are fine!
Dragons are those horribly dull creatures that are tedious, repetitive and don’t drop my legendary precursor.

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I already spend enough time setting my Swiftness ability on autocast, hitting my auto-run hotkey, and alt tabbing. And that’s with using waypoints indiscriminately.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

First off the WP system is not meant to be used 100% of the time which is why the price to use it increases.

Second my request that any mount related post become a ban-able offense once again rears its ugly head.

Mounts are counter productive to the core elements of GW2. The core elements are DEs. Mounts encourage you to by pass these. Which is something we as players should not do for the most part.

This is why the DE system is going through a revamp in the next six months. Because Anet themselves have said they have messed this up and since DEs ARE the core elements of this game they are focusing and making them more attractive to the players base.

I would rather run through a zone hunting down DEs that interest me then to ride a mount and ignore them.

WP should be used when you have filled up your inventory slots. Reached a level to change your armor or just wish to be back to civilization before logging off for the night.

Those that wish to have mounts can go to games that have mounts.

Anet has made it clear there will NEVER be mounts in this game.

So get over yourself or get lost

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

I just wish waypoints were free so getting to an event doesn’t cost more than the reward for doing it.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I just wish waypoints were free so getting to an event doesn’t cost more than the reward for doing it.

Again that defeats the purpose of the way the system is designed.

The intent is to make you run through a zone. This is to encourage forming core DE raid groups.

We are to make a group to get to the DE we desire to be at.

You can kill your way through a zone faster this way.

Anet’s intent is to encourage grouping not discourage

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

Do it as it was in gw1 we had way point near portal when we leave or enter an area.
In GW2 we don’t have the feeling of being in danger that you get when you fail at killing monsters or completing dungeons because we don’t care if we die there is always a way point near me.
remove one hit kill from the game.
Mounts(no flying) will be a good thing to have as a way for fast traverl make a quest for ppl to finish and get a donkey or a horse as a mount and all other special mounts will be in TP .
all mounts shold be the same a horse will not run faster than a donkey or a dolyak.

(edited by Assyrian.4827)

Posted by: Kinglette.4906

Kinglette.4906

screw mounts learn to use swiftness.

80 Guardian, 80 Warrior, 80 Thief
[AVTR] FA

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

While we’re on the subject of waypoints, does anyone know why when there’s a DE that the waypoint becomes contested? I would think being able to waypoint in and join the fun would be a better idea…

Steven.9803

While we’re on the subject of waypoints, does anyone know why when there’s a DE that the waypoint becomes contested? I would think being able to waypoint in and join the fun would be a better idea…

I have to agree with you Lady, kinda like the way they have planet side 2 set up eh?

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

just because people can abuse on them…if the point is not blocked, there is no need to ress when someone die.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

…especially when we have some perfectly good charr vehicals, dolyacks and horses.

Horses? Never in my gw1 or gw2 life have I ever seen a horse. I don’t think they even exist in Tyria, or have I missed something?

Posted by: Austherus Aynvals.1590

Austherus Aynvals.1590

I agree. There’s just too many waypoints. If you die you will be back in seconds, theres no fear of consequences in PvE.

When I play Skyrim, I ride my horse everywhere, it gives me much more immersion ( same happens with GTA, Saints Row, etc. ). I don’t like flying mounts nor the shiny glowing mounts from other MMOs, but giving us some kind of transportation ( simple, not so fast mounts ), would make exploring and forming groups much more fun than just die – teleport – die – teleport – die – teleport.

…but, I know the game has been designed to work like that ( and there is a lot of fun to be had ), and mounts would require a huge revamp of PvE mechanics… it’s just that this game is not as immersive as I expected, with all the waypoints and loading screens.

Sorry for the bad english.

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

There’s a solution for you: Don’t use the waypoints. Professions have ways to get swiftness for quite a while so that’s your “mount” right there. That’s what I do when I just want to wander around.

^ This. Someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to use them? I’m not walking all over the place thru events and crap I have no interest in doing again for the sake of your immersion.

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

…especially when we have some perfectly good charr vehicals, dolyacks and horses.

Horses? Never in my gw1 or gw2 life have I ever seen a horse. I don’t think they even exist in Tyria, or have I missed something?

GW1 have horses undead ones.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I doubt any mounts will provide more than 33% swiftness making them useless and just screen clutter.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

…then don’t use waypoints? You are not forced into using them.

I’m sorry, but if you’re stuck trying to run from an annoying mob in Malchor’s and you get KD’d or otherwise slowed and can’t get away, you’re risen-fodder and then YOU WILL have to use a waypoint. Your logic is flawed. Even if you’re standing right next to a waypoint and you’re at level 80 and someone pulls a mob to you and you’re afk for whatever reason, and you die, then it’ll cost you 1s39c to resurrect if there’s no other generous ‘noble’ souls around. You can’t even get to the eternal battlegrounds if you’re lying dead on the ground, not without being upright and moving again at a waypoint, unless someone has res’d you.

The majority of the time you ARE forced into using waypoints for travel, and I really hate the cost associated with moving about quickly especially when I’ve played more than 5 years on the original Guild Wars and everything is free to move around. There’s no waypoint stick bashing cash out of you when you go from say Rata Sum to Doomlore shrine, but if that philosophy were in use in the original GW you’d be slugged for about 500g in GW1 money for transport that far. So no I don’t agree with it, it’s a stupid idea to have charges for moving quickly between places, and it’s an even more stupid idea to have that charge increase incrementally between levels.

This all adds up to why it’s rather difficult to feel like you’re getting ahead in a game especially when you’re a low level char that’s just jumped over from GW1. Money for this, money for that… bloody-mindedness to extract what you’ve earned to go back into the game. Sorry but I don’t agree with it, and while the WP’s are setup the way they are, I probably never will.

There’s a difference between a rant and constructive criticism. In the most constructive way, remove WP fees. [clink]

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

As others have stated, I see this as a “let’s get mounts guys” thread in disguise – I say this because I’ve seen OP plugging mounts quite strongly before.
I’m personally iffy on the subject, and my standard for what would be alright in a mount in GW2 comes with a lot of restrictions.

But this is a WP thread.
I’m fine with them. I think the pricing could use some tweaks. I can understand the need for many money-sinks, with how quickly people like do grind up for dat gold, but sometimes it just make no sense to me. At level 80, even if you’re standing right on the waypoint, you still have to pay 1s+ to warp to it. I really don’t see that as truly distance-based. It would make sense for any travel within a zone to be LESS than 1s, and 1s+ for inter-zone trips. It would also make more sense for rez to be free to the closest WP.

I have often read this suggestion on the forums, and it’s one that I really like:
if you have 100%’d a zone, WP travel within it should be free

Any of the above could potentially encourage people to map around to events/to help others when they otherwise wouldn’t bother due to costs.

Overall, WPs don’t break immersion for me (there’s always a meta understanding that I’m in a game which has to provide certain conveniences for players), and I like ‘em, but I don’t agree with their pricing.

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

It kills epicness partly for me, thats true.
It’s efficient, but not very game-like to be honest(I mean waypoints).
Running with swiftness makes no sense for me compared to what would be riding a mount be, either. I’m a golden knight(thematically) but I feel like a jumping maniac with GS/sword+warhorn(warrior) due to constant dashing and 100% swiftness uptime :P it works, but it doesn’t seem very.. fitting. I’d prefer to ride a mount, like… 50% movement speed bonus unstackable with swiftness(plus cool visual of armored horse for me). Would match my moving speed now(dashes + 33% speed constantly)

Posted by: Brennus.1435

Brennus.1435

I’m just wondering what the actual difference in a permanent swiftness you can get on say a warrior specced into warhorn or something and having a mount is?

I’m not saying I agree to having mounts, but is there really much of a difference? With “Strong Lungs” trait on my warrior, there is only two seconds between each swiftness blow of the horn. Would it really matter if I were riding a mount instead? And it applies to all allies, so it’s not like it’s a proffession specific thing. I mean my whole party has perma-move-fast. I like it, it’s convenient. I just don’t see the difference between that and us being on a horse of the same speed or something.

Note: I like foot travel in this game, I am not for mounts, I just don’t get the argument that going faster on a mount somehow destroys DE’s. If a mount would, then so does my swiftness.

“Everyone is born a 5 signet Warrior,
what we become later only depends
on how hard we try and how good we want to become.” -HannaDeFreitas

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

It would be better if they made way points cost 1-5 gems per trip.

They are a premium after all.

Posted by: Rysinsun.7306

Rysinsun.7306

I can’t tell, are you being sarcastic? If not… then think for a moment. What happens when you are dead, have no gems and nobody is around to rez you?

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I once used to be a first-line, die-hard, combat-knife-in-mouth, waypoint-fee-hater.
But after replaying Skyrim with fast travel disabled it’s like a religion change for me on this topic.

Walking to a zone adds an important element that I always overlooked.
While on a trip you have the chance to stumble into unexpected things, such as:
- hitting random events you may have never seen before that reveal something important
- meeting a person that may change your game experience
- exploring an area you ignored the existence of
- remember things you had forgotten/overlooked which lead to new plans
- hear a quote from a NPC (or player) that makes you laugh or think

I know, in GW2 there is less chance to stumble on new random/radiant occurrences compared to Skyrim (quite strange btw, seeing that GW2 is “dynamic”), but it’s still worth a shot.
Fast travel is still available for those times you don’t feel like this, but trust me that sometimes the path to a zone might reveal to be more interesting than your initial goal.

Maybe Anet should add more random occurrences to endorse this behavior.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I like your PoV, but have a think about why people have left this game… it’s not because of the journey, but the destination. People, and far too many of them, have overlooked the experience of the journey to get to the destination and are always crying “endgame!”

If there’s an alternative to be offered I’d suggest 100% constant run buff (for lack of mentioning mounts directly) if you chose not to use the WP system; I’ll call it fast-travel mode, but as mentioned here earlier, only if the player has 100% exploration on that character. All things in this game should be a choice (obviously RNG excluded) of what the player wants to do and how they want to get from A to B.. and from what I’m seeing, not everyone wants to stop and smell the roses on the way there. WP travel is an evil, granted, but I don’t believe it should have to be a necessary one.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

I don’t like waypoints either, for pretty much the same reason. It makes the game world feel small. Which is a shame since it is in fact quite large as far as game worlds go.

WoW did that one right. No waypoints except hearthstone on 30min cooldown, and fast travel was more of a “joyride” type of thing which only made the game world look interesting and connected, instead of small.

If it was up to me, I would remove waypoints as they are now and add teleportation skills requiring ingredients or just plain money to make things simpler, with cooldowns and longish casting times. So if you really want to you can “zip” around, but not as conveniently as now. Sort of encourage people to actually travel through the world instead of what they do now, which is mostly just popping between various points of interest, even if the two are only a short distance away.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

Posted by: Gizmo.8623

Gizmo.8623

The only thing that I would change would be that in order to use WP you actually need to stand near one.
To be able to teleport from any location is just stupid and nothing can explain why are we able to just disappear from anywhere.

(edited by Gizmo.8623)

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

I like the waypoints, just don’t like the fee.. They have already stated there will be no mounts in this game. Last thing I want is someone on a mount sitting on a merchant npc I need to access because they lack consideration for the other gamers… It is best the mounts stay out. Waypoints do not break the immersion.. After all the asuras built the gates and the waypoints. They are part of Tyria.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Eladriel.7295

The only thing that I would change would be that in order to use WP you actually need to stand near one.
To be able to teleport from any location is just stupid and nothing can explain why are we able to just disappear from anywhere.

I like it the way it is.. Hopefully your character will get into a situation and the only way out is to waypoint… guess what, if they did it the way you want you are then stuck.. So no, that idea is lame.

Eladriel.7295

First off the WP system is not meant to be used 100% of the time which is why the price to use it increases.

Second my request that any mount related post become a ban-able offense once again rears its ugly head.

It really amuses me how players on these form seem to think they can have others banned for merely just an opinion.. I don’t care how many mount post there are, it isn’t a offense. Then you have the audacity to even suggest it? Get over it.. Others will have a difference of opinion so yours won’t be the only one. I’ve come to the conclusion that the GW2 community is worse than the WoW community. That last bit of post, you might want to practice what you preach.. NOBODY HAS THE RIGHT to suggest a ban just for an opinion just to accommodate other gamers because they are too lazy to skip the post. Nobody twist your arms to read them.

Posted by: Donwey.8079

Donwey.8079

Totally agree, Waypoints destructs the game itself! Remove them or at least make them work only in cities and villages. Its hilarious how easy you can travel through a map.

Posted by: Utomneian.9013

Utomneian.9013

Waypoints are part of the game, this is borderline steampunk, we have mechas and asura portals, Waypoints are not hard to fathom as part of the experience. though, mounts would be cute, but they don’t exist, might never exist, but hey, WoW is only 15 dollars a month and that has mounts, you could go play WoW, maybe play some WoW? let’s see, pay 15 dollars a month for mounts, or pay 0 dollars a month for teleportation, well, i know where my interest goes (though technically, my nephew is paying for my WoW account, but i still like GW2 more) ^.^

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

for immersion sake u can walk as much as u like… even to a dragon. no one is forcing you to use wp, and btw you’ll save some money.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I can’t tell, are you being sarcastic? If not… then think for a moment. What happens when you are dead, have no gems and nobody is around to rez you?

The same argument can be used.

What happens when you are dead and you have no silver and nobody is around to rez you?

If you don’t have it. Then it’s game over man. Game over.

Start a new character and earn enough to rez your other character.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I agree with the OP,

to me GW2’s world feels more like a collection of zones than an actual virtual world.

Location doesn’t really matter except for the waypoint costs.

GW2 as an open seamless world without instant transportation…now that would be something.

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

waypoints I dont hate, however I would prefer if it gave us a horse or other animal to run from waypoint to waypoint and only some waypoints linked to other waypoints. It would make an adventure out of getting to a location not just pop and your there which is boring.

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

Posted by: Blinka.9078

Blinka.9078

I agree with you. Anet said “we wont have fly mounts because that ruins the scale of the game” so lets teleport everywhere instant from every spot in the world…
And for people that like role-play or give a special attention to immersion, this swiftness addiction may be a problem “let me grab my mega heavy sword to travel faster because i can leap with it, or let me grab my staff wich i do not like because im faster with it”

Though I dont know if mounts are the best option.

-Rides in non-player-controled vehichles (fly or terrestrial)
- closer Waypoints should be more expensive than waypoints in other side of map (to encourage people to go there instead of teleporting..)

Eladriel.7295

It really amuses me how players on these form seem to think they can have others banned for merely just an opinion.. I don’t care how many mount post there are, it isn’t a offense. Then you have the audacity to even suggest it? Get over it.. Others will have a difference of opinion so yours won’t be the only one. I’ve come to the conclusion that the GW2 community is worse than the WoW community. That last bit of post, you might want to practice what you preach.. NOBODY HAS THE RIGHT to suggest a ban just for an opinion just to accommodate other gamers because they are too lazy to skip the post. Nobody twist your arms to read them.

“Mount request posts”, “What is the best X for class Y”, “Which is the best class for general part of the game”,“Can you be a ranged/melee/support X class????!1111”, “Fire killed me but I was not standing in fire, omg lagg”, “omfg downedstate is kitten because I can’t just glasscannon win everything WHY!?!??!+!11”, “omfg pvp is kitten because my glasscannon build shatters like glass when kitten playyer kitty kitten target me WHY1+1+1+1!?” ,“Please make GW2 more like game X” posts really should be bannable because they clog the forum with kitten piles of kitty kitten.

The OP has NO actual points about how mounts would be an actual improvement for the game other then “omg I swear I won’t just auto-run past everything in a straight line like you do in every other mmo with mounts1!!!11!”..
How would they affect S and Tpvp? How would they affect WvWvW? Would they actually be a possitive addition or would they mess with balance?
Are they really needed? Like really really needed or would they just be detracting devs from developing future content for a glorified speedbuff we really don’t need imo? Speedbuffs right now are used to SKIP content not to enjoy it more.

Just like your post just clogged the forum with kitten piles of kitty kitten?