I have a theory about Bots here...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mrhodes.2956

mrhodes.2956

After reading many posts here, and even replying to a few I have an idea why this game is so appealing to Botters. Dynamic Events.

Dynamic Events “just happen”, there is no NPC to talk to, no quest to accept and turn in. Therefore bots can easily be automated and will be so hard to prevent and detect.

I really do like the DE system, but it just seems like the designers didn’t fully consider how this system can be abused. If this game had quests with NPCs and all that then the process of accepting a quest, following through with the objectives and returning for a reward would be much more complicated for a bot programmer to automate.

I really hope this can work itself out.

This is just my theory,

Michael

Posted by: Colonel Kernel.7506

Colonel Kernel.7506

There are stupid bots, and there are smart bots. It’s only a matter of time before all the stupid bots get banned.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Not really, bots can easily automate quests already.
Actually, it’s much easier to automate a quest, to automate events RMTs just put their bots near the place and set them to attack and kill anything that moves.

This way it’s much easier to spot a bot.

Posted by: Soulwatcher.2604

Soulwatcher.2604

Michael, is very easy to spot the bots when 20+ people turn and fire at the same time in the same direction.

Posted by: Kailthir.6384

Kailthir.6384

To be honest with you all… I am not sure I have ever seen a bot in this game. I know they exist in the game. it is well documented. Even Anet has said they are all over. I just can’t recall ever seeing one in this game. I must be lucky.

Maybe I have and just didn’t notice it.

Posted by: Soulwatcher.2604

Soulwatcher.2604

What level are you? They are running rampid in the 70~80 zones

Posted by: Kailthir.6384

Kailthir.6384

What level are you? They are running rampid in the 70~80 zones

70. Must be why. I have been completing zones. I find it fun. Don’t like to go to a higher zone till I complete the lower ones. OCD I think. lol

Posted by: mrhodes.2956

mrhodes.2956

To be honest with you all… I am not sure I have ever seen a bot in this game. I know they exist in the game. it is well documented. Even Anet has said they are all over. I just can’t recall ever seeing one in this game. I must be lucky.

Maybe I have and just didn’t notice it.

Oh, they are bad! I recorded this video, and this is just one of many examples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZ7xRhITDI

I report everyone I see. I see them in every zone I go to now.

Posted by: MooTownSnacker.3659

MooTownSnacker.3659

Kailthir, try the Battle of Fort Selma event in Kessex Hills (south of the fort at a bridge). I’ve never not seen a large group of botters there.

Posted by: juiceman.2870

juiceman.2870

I think bots can be stopped at least 95 percent of them if once they get reported a few times give them a few random captchas if they dont get it temp ban.

Posted by: Dym Mahk.5768

Dym Mahk.5768

Wow, thanks for that video mrhodes. I have not made it to the 70-80 zones yet, but at least I know what to expect now. That was some really crappy obvious botting in that video.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

The problem is not the dynamic events. The bots go there for the same reason crooks choose to rob a bank. That’s where the money is.

The problem is the lack of integrity with the game that enables so many botters (and hackers) to do it so well with impunity.