I keep dying in the beggining.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wishable.9635

Wishable.9635

So im a level 5 Human warrior and I can barely 1v1 a level 6 centaur. If 2 centaurs come at me im dead for sure. Apparently even though I follow the main storyline im always 1-2 levels behind everything. Every instance I join its always recommending me being 1-2 levels higher than I already am. I dont think ive ever gotten destroyed like this in the begging in any other mmo but this one

any tips?

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Check your gear, it shouldn’t still be level 1 if you can help it.

Also, try different skills to help combat things. Warriors and Guards have the easiest time in pve overall due to high hp and armor. Make sure to watch the centaur attacks. Don’t always attack in front, you can circle around and still attack, alot of their motions are stationary swipes.

Also, if you didn’t know already, you can also dodge by hitting V or double tapping your move. This makes you avoid almost all damage in the game if timed right.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Wishable.9635

Wishable.9635

I didnt even know you could dodge moves, nor did I know you could walk around them to hit them. Also my gear has been level 1 pretty much still so ill check that out too..
Thanks for your reply!

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I actually recommend being a good 10-20 lvls above the recommended levels. Then you have more skills/gear to easily deal with the situation. Personally I got fed up with doing stories and then having to lvl up to do the next part, I hated the interval, it made me forget the story.

For every single one of my alts I made sure to not bother touching the story until after lvl 80/world completes. It just makes it so much easier and helps you to keep the story all in a time frame for it to make sense and stay fresh in your mind.

If this is your first char I would suggest upgrading your gear every 15 lvls after lvl 10 and go for toughness stats until you unlock most/all of the skils and are familiar with the class. Good luck!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

boy, it does take skills to die at lvl 5 to a centaur on warrior :O

Jokes aside, you might want to equip better armor, the weapon matters little, if anything either Greatsword or Longbow will give you enough damage with skills. Keep leveling, after a while when you get the hang of it you will realize it isnt too hard, also, if you are lvl 5 then you shouldnt be on the centaur area yet! Mainstory isnt enough to keep up in levels, you are supposed to also clear map and kill stuff around your level.

/Cheers and hope that solves the problem!

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Starting out is really tough for new players. I died a lot too, especially during the personal stories.
If you are going to do the heart tasks, make sure to go to the hearts and buy the gear from them. They will usually help out a lot.
Also, make sure to learn your weapon skills and master them.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

I didnt even know you could dodge moves, nor did I know you could walk around them to hit them. Also my gear has been level 1 pretty much still so ill check that out too..
Thanks for your reply!

This isn’t a game where you want to sit there and face tank mobs (ala Lotro or something), at least early on. A bit later warriors can do that more and more. But learn to start being mobile and dodge. Otherwise, you might have a bad time. :P

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Learn to start being mobile and dodge. Otherwise, you might have a bad time. :P

This is very good advice. So many of us came from games where mobility was not such a big deal. Here it is an integral part of character survivability.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

This is very good advice. So many of us came from games where mobility was not such a big deal. Here it is an integral part of character survivability.

Heh, yeah. I came from playing Lotro for years. My first toon in beta here was an ele. On my caster (loremaster) on Lotro, it’s actually impossible to move for most of the skills. You get rooted during inductions. So needless to say, GW2 had a sharp wake up call at the beginning with me dying a fair bit on that ele. :P It’s what made me play a necro as main to start out with at launch since they were a bit more hardy and have lovely slows for moar kiting! ^^

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

As a mostly ele player, I struggled early on, mostly because I was [still am] dead set on wearing nothing but staff for everything (except now sometimes scepter/focus on Lupicus….darn him…).

Just play around with the mobility, once you start getting gear stuff becomes increasingly easier.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

Check your gear bud. Lol had the same issue before.

Posted by: Mike.5091

Mike.5091

Check your gear bud. Lol had the same issue before.

Let’s pray he isn’t stuck at lvl 5 still.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Warning! Thread necromancy!

This thread is almost a year old. Replying to it is pointless.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

But it brings so much joy to everyone else!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I’d like to know if that guy ever did make it past level 5 lol. Let’s get an update, OP!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

I’d like to know if that guy ever did make it past level 5 lol. Let’s get an update, OP!

Based on OPs post history he got to lvl 80 sometime before January 15th.

Posted by: Moderator.8539

Moderator.8539

Since the thread was revived without any constructive contribution to it, it is now closed.