I'll be honest about the gear and gearchecks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheWarKeeper.5374

TheWarKeeper.5374

???

I don’t understand your point. And I’m serious, its not coherent.

The spectral agony and this system are nothing alike. This system is more akin to LOTRO’s resiliency system, which was eventually scrapped. For this to be like spectral agony ANET would have to remove RNG from the system and make the gear a guarantee item from reaching certain levels fractal, and they would also have to remove the gating mechanic.

Do you not realise Draselona is a GW1 vet cause he went halfthrough the prophecies missions?
Draselona, im not even half impressed to what youve just said, furthermore it clearly shows you dont know much about GW1.

i’ve completed prophecies fyi, and when i said i went through half way through prophecies at the stage where the main enemies were the mursaat i.e near the end of the missions i didnt have the ’’infusion’’ and in comparitive terms i wouldnt have the ascended gear. and i did fine. i know plenty about GW1 so do enlighten me, what do i not understand about the game?

and just saying i dont understand your point does not in any shape or form help me explain my point better…

really having a hissy fit over such a small thing, repeatedly is really just freaking childish already, all i see is oo another reason to throw a hissy fit. grow up?

You really wouldnt want to show off ur GW1 “skillZ” on me, trust me on that, youre embarrasing urself right there.

You dont understand the game because you have said agony here is exactly the same as agony there, which clearly isnt u get max stats agony resist in 1 mission less than 1 hour, agony resist can then be applied to any armor of any expansion pack of any color, furthermore completing prophecies once still doesnt make you experienced at the game at all.

oh so what does repeating prophecies a second time on hardcore make a difference, while i have 80% hardcore missions done anyway. along with plenty of time in UW

Cmon mate drop it, ure not really impressing anyone who played gw1 properly, its not even close to what my casual guildies have done.

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“Trust me if you try to take this to a court of law, you’ll fail. Advertisers have gotten extremely good at deceiving customers while still staying within the legal boundaries. In this case, they actually didn’t falsely advertise the product to you at the time of purchase and there’s nothing in the body of advertisement that assured customers that the product would stay a particular way forever (other than maybe it’s genre type).”

Depends on where you are. North America thinks advertising and lying are basically the same thing and threat it as “buyer beward” in every possible idea of the word.

We had a company in Canada yelling over why downright lying about what features are in bundles and on phones after they narrowly lost a long court debacle with hundred of people over weither or not advertising that a package does X Y Z for price L when a package did X and cost twice as much was false advertising.

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

I still don’t understand why there needs to be 30 threads all arguing the same thing. It’s in the game, it’s going to be able to be acquired in other ways and it’s most likely here to stay. I think people need to move along. This debate is getting worse than politics.

If someone wronged you about something you felt strongly about, you’d voice your opinions too.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

There was no promise…. a manifesto is not a promise or binding contract/document… it has no weight in forcing the author or reader to follow it. It’s generally a bad rule of thumb to stray from your guidelines, but it’s perfectly within their right to do it.

Ah ok, so the United States Declaration of Independence is a rule of thumb.

I still don’t understand why there needs to be 30 threads all arguing the same thing. It’s in the game, it’s going to be able to be acquired in other ways and it’s most likely here to stay. I think people need to move along. This debate is getting worse than politics.

As in politics, the only way to change things is to voice your opinion. ANet should just do a poll: increased stats on ascended items, yes or no. If the majority actually votes for yes, I’ll accept it.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

Funny thing about this whole affair is that ANet are damaging their own business model. With no subscription they rely on Gem Store and expansion purchases for their revenue. If Joe Average drifts away (which the no subscription model allows him to feel at ease about), then returns, then he finds in his absence that he’s been gated out of any hope of community participation then guess what. He doesn’t buy the expansion and he sure as hell doesn’t spend money on the gem store.

In the meantime ANet hasn’t been able to monetise that guy due to no subscription. Hmmmm, the more I think about it the more I realise ANet should introduce subscriptions …

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

Funny thing about this whole affair is that ANet are damaging their own business model. With no subscription they rely on Gem Store and expansion purchases for their revenue. If Joe Average drifts away (which the no subscription model allows him to feel at ease about), then returns, then he finds in his absence that he’s been gated out of any hope of community participation then guess what. He doesn’t buy the expansion and he sure as hell doesn’t spend money on the gem store.

In the meantime ANet hasn’t been able to monetise that guy due to no subscription. Hmmmm, the more I think about it the more I realise ANet should introduce subscriptions …

Yeah, I think with the year finishing off January will be a great time to start.

Posted by: Predator.7321

Predator.7321

Frankly I want a refund. Anet completely lied in their manifesto, which is why I bought this game in the first place. Anet claimed there would only be horizontal gear progression… made it 3 whole months before reverting on that. WvW was already declining, and now you’re adding a gear advantage to those who grind for it. Grats on doing exactlty what will make people play even less in WvW.

You want a refund….?
Suck it up they are a company they need to add new content to stay fresh it’s only been 3 months and alot of people are maxed out with exotics already idk about you but mmos are supposed to last years

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

You want a refund….?
Suck it up they are a company they need to add new content to stay fresh it’s only been 3 months and alot of people are maxed out with exotics already idk about you but mmos are supposed to last years

New content is fine. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone complaining that more content is a bad thing. But content does not(and should not) have to mean a higher tier of gear that is a requirement to progress through said content. Take out the Ascended/Infused gear and the agony mechanic, and you’ve got some great new dungeons that scale up in difficulty and reward (more tokens) as you progress.

There is enough of an “experience check” with players wanting to continue forward into harder Fractal levels versus playing at lower levels with others. This isn’t an ideal situation, but it’s not necessarily a problem except for the fact that these players are being cut off from higher tiered gear as well. This is further compounded by the higher difficulties requiring said gear, providing a “gear check” on top of the experience check. You have to make it past the “experience check”, only to be met with the next level of “experience check” in combination with a “gear check”.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“Suck it up they are a company they need to add new content to stay fresh it’s only been 3 months and alot of people are maxed out with exotics already idk about you but mmos are supposed to last years”

If I buy a car and two months later my car stop running on gasoline to run on diesel (or better, my electric car now needs gas), I still have a car. Shortly, I get a refund and you need to resell your car.

Do I CARE you need the money to make your second generation of car? No, you sold me X THEN turned it into Y without a forewarning or logical reason short of you felt like also selling car X to the gasoline using population. That constitutes false advertisement.

Posted by: Regrets of Sini.6083

Regrets of Sini.6083

It is very clear that ascended gear is Anet’s monocle moment. No matter what design intention was, community is clearly perceives it as a gear grind.

So ether Anet has a message problem, or design problem. Ether way this has to be addressed, and ‘shhhh, it is going to be OK’ posts are not going to cut it.

Posted by: Eder.9120

Eder.9120

This is something that existed prior to ascended gear, and was something that we saw happen all the time in GW1, even without any sort of gear progression. Some players, typically people who play the game a lot, tend to only want to play with other players that play like them. They require some sort of proof to get into their party, whether it be displaying your Lightbringer Title, equipping or linking some type of gear, or using some other method of showing that you have already done and are experienced with the content. While ascended gear might be the new excuse, this behavior happens regardless.

While this is not really something that we want to encourage, players do have the choice to play the game in the way they want. We can’t force those players to be all-inclusive in who they invite to the parties they create, and to be honest, doing so would probably make people even more unhappy than they are now, and lead to a lot of undesirable behavior.

Wow… can you really not see the difference here?

Fractals – artificially introduced grinding mechanic with “levels” that preclude any CHARACTER (not even account-based) that hasn’t done it X many times from joining. Forced repetition where you only start getting better drops at 10+ times. Fake mechanics like agony and higher level mobs with increased abilities to make it more “challenging” as you grind away the umpteenth time. FORCED to grind because that’s the place to get the new tier of higher stat gear and drops needed to make the gear. Need thousands of fractal currency for even one piece of gear. In a nightmare feedback loop, required to have better gear in other to grind further.

Existing dungeons – Any one person in the party who has done story mode can allow the whole party to do explore mode. Everyone gets dungeon currency that will get you something nice in 1 to 3 runs. Gear is on par with something you can buy with money OR karma, or craft, or find in open world. So running dungeons is not necessary if you don’t want to.

It is quite clear one of these designs fosters the elitist behavior and the other doesn’t.

(edited by Eder.9120)

Posted by: Regrets of Sini.6083

Regrets of Sini.6083

On my server LA chat is already filled with LFM Fractals, min level X.

Gear score, attunes and corpse runs next?

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

In this thread there is a LOT of constructive criticism about the ascended gear treadmill.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Thoughts-on-Ascended-Gear-Merged-threads/page/222

But Anet closed it because of false excuse.

Anyway.

GW2 fail, thats it, they want to introduce gear treadmill ( slowly or not will not change this fact ) and clearly proove they want to force people to accept it.

Anet dont care about the customer feedback.
Starting with a GW2 manifesto saying that they dont need to make a grind game, etc and clearly do the opposive without giving any real and honest answer.

I have to say that i totaly support GW1 since 2005, i was always defending this wonderfull game saying ( and thinking ) that its the most interesting “mmo” ever made.
But how they are acting now… its not possible anymore to give them any single support and respect them.

How Anet drag Guild Wars through the mud with one update.

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

(edited by E Tan.7385)

Posted by: Aufero.2893

Aufero.2893

In this thread there is a LOT of constructive criticism about the ascended gear treadmill.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Thoughts-on-Ascended-Gear-Merged-threads/page/222

But Anet closed it because of false excuse.

I wouldn’t categorize it as a false excuse – that thread had gotten pretty circular and pointless.

The problem appears to be that the decision to incorporate a long gear grind has already been made at a corporate level. In support of this, we’re being told it isn’t intended to be a grind at all.

It’s a bit like selling someone a cow, then replacing it with a pig a couple of months later and telling anyone who comments that it’s still intended to be a cow. We can’t help it if you keep treating it like a pig! It still has four legs, and we promise we’ll work on training it to moo!

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

That thread WASN’T circular and pointless; it was a conglomeration of lots of other threads, all callously merged in an effort by ArenaNet to sweep the elephant in the room under the carpet. Disgraceful behaviour.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

flood all online buying sites with complaints and bad reviews. if they can’t sell anything over the holidays, someone will get fired and things will change.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Shieldbreaker.4012

Shieldbreaker.4012

flood all online buying sites with complaints and bad reviews. if they can’t sell anything over the holidays, someone will get fired and things will change.

I won’t flood anything, but I will express my views in places other than this one. I’ve already hit up a few different sites with comments about how Anet doesn’t keep promises, baits and switches, and is an untrustworthy company that has completely changed direction from the awesome company and service that they were known for with GW1.

I only make one or two comments per location, but I do make comments.

Also, I stop by here every few days to see if they’ve recanted or fixed their NGE moment. Sad to see they still haven’t and show no intention of doing so. Haven’t logged in once since the patch…which makes me sad. I’d looked forward to this game for years, and preordered deluxe, made some cash shop purchases (mostly bank space, but a few other knick knacks). I was the kind of customer they’d want to keep…and I’m also the kind that will never give them another penny nor say a single kind word about them anywhere on the internet for their actions past this patch.

Most untrustworthy dev team of the year: Anet

As for ascended gear, to reiterate what Chris has said (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside), it’s not intended as a treadmill, but rather as a tier of rewards that can help bridge the gap between Exotics (a few hours of effort to acquire a piece) and Legendaries (hundreds of hours of effort to acquire one). They’re currently only available in the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon, but we’re going to be adding new ways to acquire them, both inside of WvW as well as elsewhere in PvE.

The argument of “it’s not intended as a gear treadmill” is lame. Here’s why.

If I’m walking down the street one day, and punch someone in the face, I can’t go to court and tell the judge it wasn’t intended as a punch, I was just stretching my arm out rapidly. Whining about “we don’t intend for it to be” doesn’t change anything, it IS a treadmill, and that’s all there is to it. While intent matters to some degree, the actual action matters far, far more. If you didn’t intend for it to be a gear treadmill, then upon realizing the obvious, that it is, you’d patch it right back out of the game so your players wouldn’t have to deal with the negative unintended consequences of your actions. Right?

Quit with the political doubletalk. Just come out and say what you mean. Here, I’ll paraphrase it for you. “We at Anet knew this would piss off our playerbase, but our investors like it, so we put in (at least) several weeks of work before even hinting at it to anybody, then patched it and have absolutely no intention of changing things now. Like it or lump it, it is what it is and that’s just too bad if you’re upset, go cry to someone who cares.”

(edited by Shieldbreaker.4012)

Posted by: Aufero.2893

Aufero.2893

I’m not sure the hyperbole helps. I’m not happy with the latest change in direction, but it’s still a great game, and I’m still having fun playing it. (Except for one-time events I can’t participate in, but that’s a different issue.)

If it gets to the point where I have to grind for gear to be accepted in dungeon groups, (and I think these changes may bring that about) I’ll undoubtedly stop playing. It hasn’t gotten there yet.

Posted by: carson yuen.6739

carson yuen.6739

just log in to check out the server population…

North America servers have 2 full servers now, and the rest are high…. this is a dramatic change… Heck i was arguing with someone on the forum 2 weeks ago that the popluation was fine because we had 12 freaking full servers at 2 am in the morning on a tuesday night…..

There are no more normal dungeons lfg now, only fotm lvl 10 lf3m in LA…..

I don’t think i will be touching a mmorpg again…. WoW had forever changed the mmo world from gathering gears that you can keep to gathering gear just so you can dump them when new shiny come out…

Columba.9730

just log in to check out the server population…

North America servers have 2 full servers now, and the rest are high…. this is a dramatic change… Heck i was arguing with someone on the forum 2 weeks ago that the popluation was fine because we had 12 freaking full servers at 2 am in the morning on a tuesday night…..

There are no more normal dungeons lfg now, only fotm lvl 10 lf3m in LA…..

I don’t think i will be touching a mmorpg again…. WoW had forever changed the mmo world from gathering gears that you can keep to gathering gear just so you can dump them when new shiny come out…

many of us are on vacation this week too. bad sign indeed.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Done; one-star review submitted to Amazon.co.uk, and I’ve up-voted a few other one-star reviews too.
Let’s hit them where it hurts.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Columba.9730

Done; one-star review submitted to Amazon.co.uk, and I’ve up-voted a few other one-star reviews too.

viva la revolucion!

carson yuen.6739

too late… the damage has already been done unless they can completely remove the new gears…. but then that would piss off those people who spent time to get the backpacks and rings…

no matter what they do, they had already kitten up themselves….

Posted by: Eder.9120

Eder.9120

As for ascended gear, to reiterate what Chris has said (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside), it’s not intended as a treadmill, but rather as a tier of rewards that can help bridge the gap between Exotics (a few hours of effort to acquire a piece) and Legendaries (hundreds of hours of effort to acquire one). They’re currently only available in the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon, but we’re going to be adding new ways to acquire them, both inside of WvW as well as elsewhere in PvE.

Emphasis mine.
There may have been a gap in time taken to acquire Legendaries, but there was no stat gap and thus no requirement to get Legendaries in the first place. Can you explain why that part was changed. I would have had no problems whatsoever if you had kept stats the same and just introduced a PvE specific Agony mechanic.

carson yuen.6739

Emphasis mine.
There may have been a gap in time taken to acquire Legendaries, but there was no stat gap and thus no requirement to get Legendaries in the first place. Can you explain why that part was changed. I would have had no problems whatsoever if you had kept stats the same and just introduced a PvE specific Agony mechanic.

what’s kitten up about that statment too is that the new ascends gears would only make the gap larger between exotic and legendary since you have to waste 100s of hours to get those gears before you can start the legendary grind instead of doing it at this moment.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I could care less about Legendaries.

What I DO care about is wasting my time(i.e. getting soon to be obsolete exotics) and getting told what to do, namely ignore the rest of your world and just run Fractals from now on.

So incredibly shortsighted.

Existing exotic armor could already be made to “bridge the gap” by simply introducing a higher tier of runes&sigils.
But that would require some serious game designing and tweaking/balancing with existing gear.

Much easier to just put some new stats on it. But so is getting into the unemployment line.

Either get some more people with thinking caps or start rotating the burned ones out to forum mod duty or something.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

Metacritic is a good place to vent too. User reviews do mean a lot to developers and currently they have done pretty well in this respect. If their rating starts to drop due to unrest it could have a negative impact on further players buying and joining the game.

Posted by: Kalas.4537

Kalas.4537

Well i`m sure Anet is already aware of the problems this update caused.
Server-pop-decline is not only takin place on US-servers, you can watch in with europe-servers aswell.
This update did not only scare the GW1-crowd, the people who wanted what GW2 promised (no gear-treadmill), all the people who can`t/don`t want to spend all the time in one dungeon, it also made the rest of the GW2 gameworld obselete : events, explo-modes ..well guess what..there`s much going on there anymore.

If accepted the fact that GW2 is now like everyother MMO, i will play it as long as it is fun..and it still is. The feeling of this update beeing the worst possible design-choice for GW2 still remains. There are just to many games like this, i doubt GW2 will be relevant if they just choose to swim with the crowd….it`s shame honestly, there was/is so much potential here.

Posted by: Sabo.1485

Sabo.1485

Metacritic is a good place to vent too. User reviews do mean a lot to developers and currently they have done pretty well in this respect. If their rating starts to drop due to unrest it could have a negative impact on further players buying and joining the game.

I’m not really sure what you hope to accomplish. Attacking Arenanet isn’t going to achieve anything except convince people not to buy GW2, which will lower their income, which will cause them to have to lay people off and ultimately shutter the game. Are you wanting them to FIX the game? Or are you so hostile because of this patch you’re just wanting to destroy it?

Finnegan Bhaird – Human Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Columba.9730

I’m not really sure what you hope to accomplish. Attacking Arenanet isn’t going to achieve anything except convince people not to buy GW2, which will lower their income, which will cause them to have to lay people off and ultimately shutter the game. Are you wanting them to FIX the game? Or are you so hostile because of this patch you’re just wanting to destroy it?

If they are smart, they will listen. If not, then yes, sadly, the game could lose sales and be hurt. I only want justice.

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

Attacking them? It’s not an attack.

Of course I want them to fix the game. But clearly talking to them through proper channels (i.e the official forums) is not working. They shut down the thread with all the feedback and just referred us to a previous blog post that does not have the answers people are looking for.

Spreading the word that ArenaNet have been dishonest and that the philosophy of the game has changed already, might actually help to force them come out with a proper statement. One that doesn’t insult the intelligence of their player base.

At the very least it might at least prevent some people from wasting their money on trying this game out which purported to be something it isn’t.

(edited by Mandrax.7342)

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

Well i`m sure Anet is already aware of the problems this update caused.
Server-pop-decline is not only takin place on US-servers, you can watch in with europe-servers aswell.
This update did not only scare the GW1-crowd, the people who wanted what GW2 promised (no gear-treadmill), all the people who can`t/don`t want to spend all the time in one dungeon, it also made the rest of the GW2 gameworld obselete : events, explo-modes ..well guess what..there`s much going on there anymore.

If accepted the fact that GW2 is now like everyother MMO, i will play it as long as it is fun..and it still is. The feeling of this update beeing the worst possible design-choice for GW2 still remains. There are just to many games like this, i doubt GW2 will be relevant if they just choose to swim with the crowd….it`s shame honestly, there was/is so much potential here.

this.

it’s what’s so bizarre about this latest announcement. it’s so against everything gw2 was standing for. everything we were promised and came here for is being thrown out the window.

it’s made me so sad i haven’t been able to log in except once for the past week. i keep coming here hoping to see anet telling me it was all an april fool’s joke that went off too early.

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

The only thing that I feel violates their manifesto is the amount of grind it takes to get ascended gear. I can see them turning it down in the future, and adding more ways to acquire it, which will decrease the amount of work you have to do. The new tier and the mere concept of vertical gear progression does not go against their philosophy.

That’s basically how I feel about it, too. I wasn’t upset about a new tier at all, but I’m utterly confused as to why a stat increase was necessary for gear that’s specifically intended to take longer to get than Exotics when that’s exactly the thing they said they didn’t want to have.

I don’t think they intentionally lied. I think this might be a result of them splitting the team into several groups for new content, and having to release it regularly. When they were designing the game, they had much longer to iterate on stuff. I can guess from reading some of the stuff they’ve said about designing the game that they came up with plenty of things along the line which “broke” what they were trying to do, but they had a very long time to beat their heads against it, decide “Eh, this isn’t working and never will,” and toss it out and start over.

Posted by: jibs.8463

jibs.8463

This issue is going to eclipse everything else that will be brought up in the future until its resolved. The ball is in your court anet

Posted by: zzled.9125

zzled.9125

I call BS. Nobody and I mean NOBODY has ascended gear yet. There’s no way someone made 1300 tokens in the period of a weekend unless they played in shifts with friends so someone was on the character 24/7 and in a fractal the whole time.

Check out Dulfy’s site. Looks like every Ascended item there was confirmed by at least one person who crafted it already.

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/17/gw2-ascended-gear-and-infusion-recipes/

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

This issue is going to eclipse everything else that will be brought up in the future until its resolved. The ball is in your court anet

While this is probably true, most of them are apparently home for Thanksgiving right now, according to what a dev said in another thread. They’re not stonewalling, they’re just not at work, so I’m not really worried yet.

Posted by: Jia Shen.4217

Jia Shen.4217

The difference between rare and exotic in stats is only about 10%. And less than the 15% boost gotten from customizing weapons in GW1. Honestly if a full group is geared out in exotic vs rare and they are good at their character class and working together the gear won’t have any significant reduction to the time it takes to complete a dungeon. Where this will have an impact is when the whole group is under geared based on the level of the content.

For example if the dungeon is level 80 and everyone is wearing level 40 mastercraft gear. That would be a disaster for a group probably even if they work well together and are good at their character class. So in a way I understand why some would vent their frustrations by asking for only a certain level of characters and/or gear. But to discriminate against having the second or even third best gear for the level of the content would be pointless. Here is an example of why:

I did ascalon catacombs with a group whose characters were all no higher than 5 levels above the dungeon’s level. They were all decked out in masterwork gear. This group worked well together and knew their character’s classes well. We finished the dungeon very fast much faster than all the groups of level 80s decked out in end game gear who didn’t work well together and failed to play their character’s classes well that I had previously done the dungeon with. In fact we thought because we didn’t have uber gear that we wouldn’t be able to succeed. I rallied them with strategy that over came that doubt. In the end they were all amazed that we not only succeeded in completing the dungeon but that we did it as fast as we did.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I plan to make sure that other people dont fall victim to their scam. Consumer awareness. They dont want to talk or fix the game – that is their choice. My choice
is to warn about the deception and lies.
This could simply be a mistake that they implemented the idea wrong (lotro) but they wont say anything so in absence I take that as malice.

(edited by Narkosys.5173)

Posted by: Arngrim.3786

Arngrim.3786

I dont see how Gear Score would make this game better, i hate anything that has to do with Gear, DPS meters and Raid helpers. This game is about skill and how you use the few abilites you have in the right way. I dont see how Gear would have as big of an impact in end game as in other games. Last thing we need is a bunch of elitist telling people of for not having that extra 5 power on their gear.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

I’m not sure the hyperbole helps. I’m not happy with the latest change in direction, but it’s still a great game, and I’m still having fun playing it. (Except for one-time events I can’t participate in, but that’s a different issue.)

If it gets to the point where I have to grind for gear to be accepted in dungeon groups, (and I think these changes may bring that about) I’ll undoubtedly stop playing. It hasn’t gotten there yet.

When that will happen it will be too late.
If your car is headed towards a wall, do you wait for the crash to be inevitable before you hit the brakes?

Steering a company is even harder than steering a car. If you take measures when you have lost you most dedicated playerbase and your reputation, the things you do are going to be useless even though on paper they could go back in the right direction.

Most games that lose the trust of their core players never recover, fully or at all, from the consequences.

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

There are 30 threads because Anet hasn’t responded to the mass outrage in any official capacity. I suggest everyone mirror their forum posts in the survey.

Posted by: Caelib.2497

Caelib.2497

We live in a material world …

Posted by: gendei.6417

gendei.6417

Anet has blown its credibility. This ascended stuff is completely the opposite what they were promising, what GW1 was and why GW1 was different then other mmo’s. They dont care if they lose many of the hardcore GW players, they want to keep and attract players from other mmo’s without GW background. They think there is a middle way. There is not……

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

In GW1 nobody asked about what gear you had (although it would be nice to know if a player was toting three superior runes since they would be incredibly glassy).

However GW1 players DID ask you to link your skillbar — rightfully so since very specific build combinations were needed to complete some content. Unfortunately that was a side effect of the content design imo.

When a game has gear that “gates” your content progression, your doing the same thing — forcing players to validate their setup by linking their gear. There’s no other way around the limitation in game design.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I really cant see why anyone would bother with Guildwars 2 treadmill when WoW treadmill works better…

You’ve got to be joking.
In WoW, not only do you have grind and RNG, you get to top it off with a Raid Leader, Guild Master, Loot Council, or Ninja Looter that determines whether you even get a chance at the gear.

It’s dreadful.

GW2 is miles ahead of WoW in this respect and so many others.

Actually he has a point. WoW treadmill items are at least innovative with what effects the armor sets do.

Not $180 a year innovative effects.

That’s IF you even get it after the RNG, Raid Leader, Guild Master, Loot Council, and Ninja Looter have had their first shot at it. Let’s not forget you only get this lovely chance at a chance once a week.

You have to be a masochist to play that game.
There’s a reason that GW2’s popularity is soaring.

Yeah, soaring. So much so this forum is singing it with praise. So much so that there’s still 10 million subscribers in WoW.

I actually wasn’t thinking of the wow thing as evidence of it not soaring I was actually thinking of all the times so far that I haven’t been able ot get enough people to do the older (yes even tho it’s been a month they are now old content) dungeons and how Orr is basically a ghost town now.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

Hi there.

First of all, i want to point out that that i’m not beeing sarcastic here. And second, I am sorry for my bad english, i am no native speaker.

I played GW1 for a very long time, and i really loved the game, PvE and PvP.
One of the most fascinating things about this game was the lack of geargrinding. You hit max. Level and you can buy the best armor and weapons for almost nothing. That was fantastic.

The thing is, it is different for GW 2 now. In GW1, i would never ask anybody if he is good at the game or what kind of equipment he uses, because it doesn’t really matter. I would help him, and we would work together to finish the dungeon or whatever, because i knew one thing: There is no better equipment, he/she just needs some advice or help in playing the game.

But now, with Guild Wars 2, it causes me problems. When I team up with a group of players to do, for example, the Fractals of the Mists, I really wish for all of those players in my group to have exotic gear. I hate myself for thinking that way, but the difference in stats means that we could (possibly) finish the dungeon faster.

On the other hand, with non-exotic-equipped players, I feel like…those people could waste my time. Because we die more often. And I have to repair my equip more often etc.

I have not started to ask my party to link me their equipment or anything like that yet, but I think, on higher Levels in the Fractals, i would start doing so.

Sure, I could just go in and whipe a few times and have fun, but still…beating a dungeon faster is more fun that dying a lot of times, for me at least.

What do you think about that? I don’t want to do that, but I feel like I am forced to check out my partymembers right now, because of this whole difference in gear.

AmBoSS

don’t see how this is any different than groups insisting you ping your build in GW1… people have an idea of how things should work, and they don’t like things that contradict that idea….

actually played for 5 years, rereading my post I don’t seem to see any question marks. In GW1 9 times out of 10 if you didn’t have the build they wanted you to have in a pug you got kicked without another word.

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

basicly, Anet got 2days before the patch release a post with about 100pages saying that people dont want gear treadmill / dont need lie saying that ascended will fill the none existing stat gap between legendary and exotic.

What did they do ? they didnt change anything ? no.
Since the path quiet a LOT of people are quitting the game, rage about the gear treadmill.. give a lot civilian post / constructive criticism.

What Anet do ? nothing.

Did they said that they understood their mistake ? will change that ? did they communicate honestly ? Not a single seconde.

Also, Anet closed the 222page post about the undesired gear treadmill, saying what ?

refer to that post !

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside/first#post721451

Who is nothing more that considering people like total idiots, and insulting their ability to read between the lines.

With a such behavior, its totaly normal do drag down Anet in any site that allow to note the game.
Its totaly their OWN fault.

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

(edited by E Tan.7385)

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

In GW1 nobody asked about what gear you had (although it would be nice to know if a player was toting three superior runes since they would be incredibly glassy).

However GW1 players DID ask you to link your skillbar — rightfully so since very specific build combinations were needed to complete some content. Unfortunately that was a side effect of the content design imo.

When a game has gear that “gates” your content progression, your doing the same thing — forcing players to validate their setup by linking their gear. There’s no other way around the limitation in game design.

Asking to “ping your build” was pretty much standard for pugs in GW1, but the requiring certain builds was a player-invented concept. It really got started with the “wiki culture” of players following the guides on various wikis (using guides is fine) and getting the idea that the builds listed there were the -only- builds that would ever work (far from the truth). It made players stop thinking about builds, and how to judge whether a build was viable for themselves. They would simply assume that if your build wasn’t exactly as listed in the “Dummies Guide to the Underworld”, it would never work.

I bring this up because Agony and Infusions give a more simplified means of bringing about the same mentality, and even justifying it. Players will eventually (I’m guessing sooner rather than later) come up with what is commonly seen as the “required amount of agony resistance” to complete X level of fractal. This, of course, will be well beyond what is actually required to complete it, and more into the realm of an amount of infusions that aim to trivialize the agony present in that level. We know that infusions are intended to be required beyond certain levels, but players will realize using an overkill of infusions is better/easier than trying to deal with agony through healing skills/better play tactics.

The difference between these two similar sitations in GW and GW2, is that using a higher-than-required amount of infusion/resist is actually mathematically better. There is no option of “this will work better”, because the infusions are an absolute requirement. Even the “must use” builds in GW1 got replaced over time as faster/easier/more reliable ones were found, and you had a chance of finding open-minded players that would use their brains and try other builds. With agony and infusions, it’s an absolute, they are 100% required, and having more of them is absolutely better.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

Just adding my 2cents, and I’ll start off by saying I have yet to read through all 8 pages of this thread, a bigger problem than the gear grind is the simple progression system. If you aren’t doing Fractals 24/7, you going to get left behind. The past weekend I spent time doing the Lost Shores content and working on my AC armor set. Nowadays, it’s almost impossible to find a non-Fractals dungeon group. Even within the Fractals itself, if you’re not on the cutting edge, you’re still getting left behind. I was level 2 right not and I waited over an hour to find a group. Then there were no level 3 groups after my old one disbanded. Meanwhile everyone else is shouting LFG FotM LvL 15+. I even saw a couple level 20+. The one saving grace however, is that fractal level is character bound. However, with all the rewards being account bound it is practically a moot point.

Posted by: Orion.7264

Orion.7264

Asking to “ping your build” was pretty much standard for pugs in GW1, but the requiring certain builds was a player-invented concept. It really got started with the “wiki culture” of players following the guides on various wikis (using guides is fine) and getting the idea that the builds listed there were the -only- builds that would ever work (far from the truth). It made players stop thinking about builds, and how to judge whether a build was viable for themselves. They would simply assume that if your build wasn’t exactly as listed in the “Dummies Guide to the Underworld”, it would never work.

I bring this up because Agony and Infusions give a more simplified means of bringing about the same mentality, and even justifying it. Players will eventually (I’m guessing sooner rather than later) come up with what is commonly seen as the “required amount of agony resistance” to complete X level of fractal. This, of course, will be well beyond what is actually required to complete it, and more into the realm of an amount of infusions that aim to trivialize the agony present in that level. We know that infusions are intended to be required beyond certain levels, but players will realize using an overkill of infusions is better/easier than trying to deal with agony through healing skills/better play tactics.

The difference between these two similar sitations in GW and GW2, is that using a higher-than-required amount of infusion/resist is actually mathematically better. There is no option of “this will work better”, because the infusions are an absolute requirement. Even the “must use” builds in GW1 got replaced over time as faster/easier/more reliable ones were found, and you had a chance of finding open-minded players that would use their brains and try other builds. With agony and infusions, it’s an absolute, they are 100% required, and having more of them is absolutely better.

I always asked people to ping when they grouped with me, but not because I wanted specific builds that I believed were required. I did it for two reasons:

1) Every once in awhile, you have a player that has no idea what they’re doing, and their build is awful. Bad skills with no synergy, no elite skill, etc. Better to catch this and give them a good build to run so they will be effective. (There are MANY “good builds” for every profession combo, for all content, btw)

2) Knowing what other people were running prevented you from running counter-productive builds within the party. Two ritualists running the same spirit build = essentially one build, since spirits overwrite each other. Too many necromancers running minions and you run out of corpses (required to make minions in GW1), essentially making the same problem. Two Paragons running Save Yourselves! builds was redundant. Things like this.

I know that there were problems with people requiring “THIS BUILD NAO” for certain things, but there were also legitimate reasons for requiring pings.

Arenanet lies.