I'll be trying out GW1

I'll be trying out GW1

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

You will want at least one half-ranger in your party so you can bring Frozen Soil.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

I'll be trying out GW1

Posted by: Reya.1895

Reya.1895

Cowrex.9564 and Dyntheos.5719 feel free to add me in-game if you wanna chat about it rq, as that can be easier to back-and-forth than on forums.

If you want to go for 30/50 HoM points (all the tangible rewards) then here’s a few tips to get you going.

1: don’t aim for 50/50 HoM or God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals titles, time investment will be too high, you won’t do it
2: use http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/ to track your progress and set goals on what you’ll do to reach 30
3: pick a character and focus on playing it, try not to make alts – you only need alts for 50/50.

a] your first goal should be (as grandmafunk suggested) playing in Nightfall to get the heroes, it’s the most rewarding of all the campaigns, gives you heroes and free bonus skills (with hero skill points)
b] find some skill builds for heroes that will work anywhere, i have a few i can give you or you can look up something like pvxwiki – the sooner you get those builds on your heroes the easier+faster it will be, invest in your heroes as fast as you can as early as you can – cheap max-stat weapons, good skills
c] as early as you can pick up the storybook (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Storybook) related to the campaign you are playing through. the bonuses they give for content you’ll be playing through anyway shouldn’t be overlooked!
d] apart from collecting heroes and giving them weapons/skills focus on completing each campaign (all missions, including optionals you can skip) on Normal WITH bonuses for a few easy titles toward HoM and significant map/town exposure.

Like I said feel free to add me, i’m in aussie timezone though.

-Reya
PS: i have a stack of stuff in GW1 that i would sell for GW2 gold – minis/money/weapons/etc. we’d both have to agree on an exchange rate and naturally there’s no way of affirming either of us don’t get scammed. up to you, i’m willing to risk since i won’t use the stuff any more anyway.
PPS: Dyntheos.5719 just re-read your post. If you only want a few points you shouldn’t buy all campaigns. You have to have Eye of the North to access HoM, you have to have one other campaign as well as Eye of the North, I suggest Nightfall.

Will do boss! I’ll let you know as soon as I get it! It’s a good tihng that the GW Trilogy is only 29.99 bucks!

These are good ideas, but I would suggest against them. Play GW1 like it was played during its glory days. Find a guild (there are still players left), do some cooperative missions, have fun making your own build.

Don’t rely on heroes and PvX builds to get you through the game. Enjoy the game as it was originally intended. That was when it was glorious.

If you want titles and things, go for it, but really I would just play the game for the fun of playing the game, because without any rewards or titles, the game is good enough to play.

Are you really suggesting him to have Alesia carry him through the game?

To OP: do yourself a favour and get a good gwpvx monk build on your heroes. Will spare you a lot of headdesks.

I haven’t seen how monks play yet or even know about them although I’ll research about them and keep that in mind! Thanks!

Oh yea, and I have a few friends in GW2 who are willing to play Gw1 with me

Going to respectfully disagree with Clay for the primary reason that the population there is so low now, and secondly because you can solo all the content to achieve HoM points anyway.

I agree, get in a guild, the more GW1 players that can help you the better. Get your heroes as soon as possible, i strongly disagree with blowing hours/days/months trying to make hero builds that will work.
Also lots of people are saying use Monk healers (heroes), i actually disagree on this point in a big way too. Monk players are amazing, monk heroes are really .. .bad. … i use Necro/Rit/Ele hybrids to heal. I also disagree with playing a monk, personal preference, but find I’m most effective when playing as a spike-damage dealer or similar so i can nuke dangerous targets and let my heroes deal with the rest (eg. elementalist).

Bottom line is – why are you going to play? if your primary goal is to get HoM points for GW2, then don’t spend too much time trying to get into a guild or mess around with builds or anything – do what you can to set yourself up asap to get some points! On top of that, don’t blow short-term expense on a handful of points, aim for 30 and work on whatever the hardest 30-point thing will be, plenty of points will ‘just happen’ along the way.

If you plan on playing to get involved, see all the content, etc (btw, lore-wise you’ll get from completing each campaign once, don’t really need more than that) then being in a guild and stuffing around is probably going to suit you just fine.

-Reya

I'll be trying out GW1

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

Going to respectfully disagree with Clay for the primary reason that the population there is so low now, and secondly because you can solo all the content to achieve HoM points anyway.

I agree, get in a guild, the more GW1 players that can help you the better. Get your heroes as soon as possible, i strongly disagree with blowing hours/days/months trying to make hero builds that will work.
Also lots of people are saying use Monk healers (heroes), i actually disagree on this point in a big way too. Monk players are amazing, monk heroes are really .. .bad. … i use Necro/Rit/Ele hybrids to heal. I also disagree with playing a monk, personal preference, but find I’m most effective when playing as a spike-damage dealer or similar so i can nuke dangerous targets and let my heroes deal with the rest (eg. elementalist).

Bottom line is – why are you going to play? if your primary goal is to get HoM points for GW2, then don’t spend too much time trying to get into a guild or mess around with builds or anything – do what you can to set yourself up asap to get some points! On top of that, don’t blow short-term expense on a handful of points, aim for 30 and work on whatever the hardest 30-point thing will be, plenty of points will ‘just happen’ along the way.

If you plan on playing to get involved, see all the content, etc (btw, lore-wise you’ll get from completing each campaign once, don’t really need more than that) then being in a guild and stuffing around is probably going to suit you just fine.

-Reya

I love your entire post. I don’t think we disagree at all.

I'll be trying out GW1

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I don’t think I know anyone who played both games who doesn’t think they ballsed up the skill system & core combat mechanics in this game. I mean, dodging and combo fields are good, but are in no way a substitute for the diversity of skills & depth of combat mechanics in GW1.

I still hope the GW2 designers come to their senses and add back some of the diversity and depth of the previous game, because this game has a severe lack of it.

downed state is bad for PVP

I'll be trying out GW1

Reya.1895

-Reya

I love your entire post. I don’t think we disagree at all.

Oh gud

The only other thing worth mentioning is how effective/rewarding the Zaishen quests are – but I didn’t mention them earlier ‘cause ’information overload’, lol.

Other than that – use the Wiki, it’s amazing.

I'll be trying out GW1

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I think it is outstanding, though incompatible to GW2. The two games only have lore in common. Beyond that be prepared to basically be playing a game in an entirely different genre. Some of the UI and other interface tidbits are a little outdated, but all together if I had to pick a favorite online game (MMO or otherwise), I would easily choose GW1

I'll be trying out GW1

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Oh gud

The only other thing worth mentioning is how effective/rewarding the Zaishen quests are – but I didn’t mention them earlier ‘cause ’information overload’, lol.

What are the requirements to do the Zaishen quests?

I'll be trying out GW1

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Assassin and Ritualist are my favorite for soloing. Assassins are fun for being able to run in and spike mob healers, Rituatlists as primary profession isn’t really good at all but I find it pretty relaxing to set up the lines of battles before the pull.

User was infracted for being awesome.

I'll be trying out GW1

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

If you liked Seiken Densetsu 3 or Secret of Mana, think of GW1 as that with a party of 8.

Go Prophecies if you want to experience GW1 to its fullest. For quests prior to level 20, the AI “henchmen” are good enough.

The storyline of Prophecies will relate most to you as a GW2 player.

Once you reach Lion’s Arch, it will allow you to travel to Eye of the North and recruit your first 3 heroes. It will also allow you to travel to Elona and pick up your next few heroes.

Make sure you recruit “Olias” as soon as you can. Unlike GW2, Necromancers in GW1 are VERY overpowered! They are core to many endgame teams and most builds involve 3 necromancers running a setup called “Sabsway” where 1 necromancer heals with infinite energy using ritualist skills, another necromancer spawns an army of 12 exploding minions, and another necromancer weakens foes with curses.

Also, if you want to level to 20 very quickly, go to a place called “Gunnar’s Hold” in Eye of the North and you will find an NPC who does boxing named “Kilroy”. Do his dungeon quest and then leave the outpost and re-enter (or change districts) to do the quest/dungeon again after completing it.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kilroy

Also, for PvE builds, check this out:
http://www.gwpvx.com/Category:All_working_general_builds

GW1 is about skill synergy. I am a ranger who micromanages his heroes to cast Spirit Weapon on me so my Barrage nukes clumps foes for 300 damage!

Also, I’m considering returning to GW1 and working towards vanquisher. If anyone would like me to help them, or want to join me for vanquishing, feel free to pm me and I’ll install GW1! ;D

PM me on the forums if you need help with GW1.

As for class selection, here’s what I recommend based on leaning curve:

Easiest:
Dervish (AoE melee fighter)
Warrior (Frontline melee, AoE knockdown)
Ritualist (Engineer turrets done right, buffs team with spirits and spirit weapons.)

Mid-easy:
Paragon (Underpowered AI, overpowered with human PvE skills)
Assassin (GW2’s Thief)
Necromancer (Minion army)

Mid-hard:
Elementalist (“Nuker”/aoe)
Mesmer (Punishes foes)
Necromancer (Micromanages an army of exploding minions)

Hardest:
Ranger (Interrupts foes, dodging, ranged PHYSICAL aoe)
Monk (Heals team, hard to command AI team.)

Paragon is very overpowered when using PvE skills (unavailable to AI), but they are plagued with gay armor and without much build variety.

I recommend starting with Warrior because most AI/hero builds revolve around buffing him. The warrior is the heart of the general PvE team, and caster professions are usually reserved for AI because they depend less on PvE skills. With Warrior you also have access to my favorite PvE skill named “Save Yourselves” which grants +100 armor for your entire team as long as you can keep refilling your adrenaline.

One more tip? You can change secondary profession at any time later in the game, so don’t sweat it much. But use secondary profession skills only to compliment your primary profession, as you only have access to runes for your primary profession.

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

I'll be trying out GW1

Reya.1895

Oh gud

What are the requirements to do the Zaishen quests?

The only requirement to pick up a Zaishen quest is to be able to get to the battle islands. From Prophecies you need to reach Lion’s Arch, from Nightfall you need to play through the first island or ‘hire a ferry’ (a player who can skip the content for you) and in Factions you need to finish the first island to reach Kaineng.

Once you can reach that port-city of that area of Tyria you can go to the other campaigns AND the battle islands for pvp and Embark/GreatTempleofBalthazar which is where you can pick up Zaishen quests.

DOING Zaishen quests can be an entirely different deal since the targets and objectives are anywhere and everywhere.
You can hold up to 3 quests of each category at any given time, so feel free to pick up ones you can’t do yet.

-Reya

I'll be trying out GW1

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

While this discussion is nice (and I thank you for remaining civil), these community forums are dedicated to discussing Guild Wars 2.

If you wish to discuss the original Guild Wars, there are many community sites dedicated to discussing all the numerous facets of the original game.

Thank you.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra