I'm Confused

I'm Confused

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Hello, good people at ArenaNet. I’m level 7, happily exploring Metrica Province. I saved a village of Hylek from being poisoned by those evil Inquest. Once the Hylek were saved, I met a large Hylek in an enclosure with a blue chevron over his head. I talked with him, and he offered to fight me to teach me, but all I can respond is that I don’t have time right now.

But I do. The inquest have been driven off for now, I’ve found myself in this helpful Hylek’s village, and I’d love to learn some of his Frogjitsu. Unfortunately, there must be some quest or something I have to do to get another dialogue option with him. I can’t, however, seem to find it anywhere in the vicinity. What do I need to do to be able to learn from this Hylek master of martial arts? And why is there a blue chevron over his head?

Also, while I have your ear. There is this really great underwater Inquest base in a lake not too far away. Someone clearly put some time and effort into designing that thing. It occurred to me that it might make a great place for a few dynamic events. Perhaps there could be some sort of cool Asuran magitech beacons the Inquest use to power the base that Tyrian heroes could destroy to undermine their evil research.

It’d be really cool if some sort of Inquest monster could be released as a follow up. Maybe a creature enraged by the poison the Inquest are releasing in the area? A crazed kraken, or maybe an oversized shark.

(edited by Gibson.4036)

I'm Confused

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

They actually deleted the shark?

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

I'm Confused

Gibson.4036

What shark? Was there supposed to be one in the lake?

As far as I could tell, the lake was completely empty. No inquest. No skelks. No salmon. Not even some ambient fish creatures to one-shot. There is a cool-looking underwater base, though.

Do you know where the quest is that will let me learn fighting from Blue Chevron Hylek?

I'm Confused

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

Is the forum glitching?

I'm Confused

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Y’know what, I think the answer might be found in the vast depths of the Steam™ sea. I hear there’s more than a few adventures awaiting there. Sharks included.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

I'm Confused

Sokia.3710

The Inquest aren’t evil, they are just determined and a little loose with ethics. OK, a lot loose with ethics.

As far as the hylek, I can’t help you with that one. Have you tried leveling up so that you are massively overleveled for the area, and then talking with him? That might help.

I'm Confused

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

2 possibilities. Either it’s bugged, which is possible, or it’s part of a larger chain and the last part of that chain. Not all event chains are up at all times. I can’t say because I don’t know, but you can check the wiki.

Even then the info might not be right because many changes were made to starting areas recently.

I'm Confused

Posted by: AlexisToran.5719

AlexisToran.5719

The hylek is an NPC who can give you a skill point, but skill points aren’t available until you unlock your first utility slot (to the right of your healing skill). Level up and come back later.

As for the lake, it’s empty because it’s close enough to the starting area for new players to reach it before they’ve been taught about underwater combat and given their first underwater weapon. (It’s not a change I agree with – I don’t see anything wrong with being able to fight underwater as soon as you get underwater…)

I'm Confused

Gibson.4036

The Inquest aren’t evil, they are just determined and a little loose with ethics. OK, a lot loose with ethics.

They were poisoning the brothers and sisters of my Hylek would-be Sensei. That’s pretty evil in my book.

As far as the hylek, I can’t help you with that one. Have you tried leveling up so that you are massively overleveled for the area, and then talking with him? That might help.

That’s an idea, but there must be a more logical solution. My dialogue option is that I am too busy. Maybe I need to take care of my to-do list before I come back. I didn’t finish the checklist up in the right hand corner of the screen before I logged off. Perhaps if I had done so, I could go back to Blue Chevron Hylek and say, “I did my chores for today, now we can spar”.

I’ll have to try that next time I play.

I'm Confused

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

2 possibilities. Either it’s bugged, which is possible, or it’s part of a larger chain and the last part of that chain. Not all event chains are up at all times. I can’t say because I don’t know, but you can check the wiki.

Even then the info might not be right because many changes were made to starting areas recently.

Lol, they are being sarcastic.

“Have you tried leveling up so that you are massively overleveled for the area, and then talking with him? That might help.”

Anet dumbed down the game, but it wasn’t enough. :P

I'm Confused

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

You can’t find any quests? Follow the compass! New challenges await you in Dry Top!

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

I'm Confused

Gibson.4036

You can’t find any quests? Follow the compass! New challenges await you in Dry Top!

There are plenty of quests all around the area, but none that will let me learn fighting technique from my Blue Chevron Hylek friend.

I think I may have gotten a letter from someone about a place called Dry Top, but it also said something about being level 80. I am only level 7.

Blue Chevron Hylek is level 3, I think. This is another thing that makes me think the idea about becoming higher level and coming back must not be right. How could I learn fighting technique from a level 3 Hylek if I am much higher level? Wouldn’t I be teaching him at that point?

I'm Confused

Sokia.3710

They were poisoning the brothers and sisters of my Hylek would-be Sensei. That’s pretty evil in my book.

I stand corrected. Anyone who tries to prevent you from learning Frogjitsu is obviously evil.

I'm Confused

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Fear not. I will come back to Metrica and fix it all.

Signed,
Kessondra
Master Snaff

I'm Confused

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I’m sure it is MUCH less confusing to have the incidents described by the OP than to leave what was already there (which actually made sense at least). O.o

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

I'm Confused

Posted by: Bel Geode.8129

Bel Geode.8129

Not sure if OP is being tongue in cheek, or if honestly curious.

Either way, this post should punctuate what went wrong with the NEW new player experience of this feature pack.

Yeah Gibson, you used to be able to learn frog-jitsu from the hylek (you still can, AFTER you get to level 15). You used to be able to tackle the giant shark, as well as any of the other events going on in that lake…

key words… USED TO.

Hopefully ANet will see wisdom and make it so you can once more.

Find Bel Geode- THE Purple Norn on twitch tv.
“Doing The Dailies " Weeknights at 8PM EST.
http://www.twitch.tv/belgeode

I'm Confused

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

After trying to play a new character myself and reading all the forum posts I keep envisioning someone trying to chop out foundation bricks and stuff new ones in that have a different shape, causing the entire building to become unstable.

This NPE is messy, no other word for it. It disrupts the professions, makes the early maps awkward and constantly breaks the immersion that the NPCs, beautiful graphics and landscapes used to create.

(edited by Penarddun.6827)

I'm Confused

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

I’m just waiting for an Angry Joe video to say “Anet Done f.* ** ed it up”. xD

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

I'm Confused

Sokia.3710

I’m just waiting for an Angry Joe video to say “Anet Done f.* ** ed it up”. xD

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what he would say.

I'm Confused

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Angry Joe quit a long time ago. According to their forum, they disbanded their guild back in Feb 2013, so I doubt he’s keeping up with the game.

I'm Confused

Posted by: Yenrah.8532

Yenrah.8532

I like you Gibson.

I'm Confused

Posted by: JustCurious.3457

JustCurious.3457

As others have stated the ‘Blue Chevron’ Hylek is a NPC that you can challenge and beat to gain a skill point, however skillpoints don’t unlock till level 15 now…
It also seems that because you no longer start with your underwater weapons unlocked the early underwater events have been removed.

Classes: Guardian, Elementalist, Warrior, Thief, Engineer, Herald

I'm Confused

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Isn’t that a skill point challenge?

Are skillpoint challenges now disabled at level 7?

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

I'm Confused

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

yes, as many posts have said they are locked til lv15. Because it’s “too confusing” for new players.

I mean I remember not being able to beat them at low level, but I just assumed thats because you were meant to do it with others. And so, I asked for others to help.
This is how I’ve treated skill points since.

but I guess, the poor players cant fail skill points now, it must be demoralising or something, so they’re locked out from them until they’re faceroll.

I'm Confused

Sokia.3710

You have to be a higher level to activate Skill Challenge. It makes them more challenging.

I'm Confused

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

You have to be a higher level to activate Skill Challenge. It makes them more challenging.

The irony in this sentence feels so good

I'm Confused

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

You should be happy. Imagine how confused you would be if you actually got to fight that hylek!

I'm Confused

Sokia.3710

You should be happy. Imagine how confused you would be if you actually got to fight that hylek!

Yeah. It could be confusing. You might actually die. The Skill Challenge would actually be challenging. It’s a groundbreaking concept, I know.

I'm Confused

Posted by: Blazing Liger.1236

Blazing Liger.1236

The heart in that area used to be mostly around the underwater Inquest base, but was moved to the Hylek village to facilitate the removal of underwater combat until lvl 8. There were a couple of events there, including defeating a crazed shark. To my knowledge, no new events have been added to make up for the removal of the old ones. As for the skill points, I’ve found you can actually do them before lvl 15 if a lvl 15+ player comes over and starts it. You can then join in and get the skill point, though the only skills you can unlock at that point are healing skills.

It’s hard to do jumping puzzles with a big, fuzzy butt.

I'm Confused

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Fortunately as Veteran, I can skip the confusion of being below level 20 more often than I will ever have too

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

I'm Confused

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

+1 to OP for magnificent trolling. I salute you.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

I'm Confused

Sokia.3710

+1 to OP for magnificent trolling. I salute you.

To be honest, it was really good. The Frogjitsu killed me.