I'm New Here

I'm New Here

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Contrast Ray.7680

Contrast Ray.7680

Hey guys i’m Contrast Ray, I am new to Guild Wars 2. I am currently downloading the game and was wondering what is the best race to choose and what is the best profession.
Thanks

I'm New Here

Posted by: Marikus.1875

Marikus.1875

Hi Contrast!

Welcome, you should join us Asurans! I don’t think there is a “best”, just what you want to play as. I personally have an Asura elementalist.

I'm New Here

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

First things first, Happy New Year!

1) Race doesn’t really make a difference, since there’s no Racial bonuses (just racial skills).

2) Warrior is incredibly easy to get to grips with, and possibly the simplest class. As for best, that’s more down to opinion and preference, really.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

I'm New Here

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Races are all equal. There are a few racial skills but they don’t make a big difference so pick whichever you want.

Same with professions really. I think Warrior or Guardian are the easiest, but not necessarily the best or most fun. I’d recommend checking out the mechanics for each one, either looking them up online or trying them out when you get in-game and pick the one that fits your playstyle best, or you find the most fun.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

I'm New Here

Posted by: Contrast Ray.7680

Contrast Ray.7680

Thanks guys! I’m thinking of being just a normal human, is there any special racial skills they have?

I'm New Here

Posted by: Arilin.8716

Arilin.8716

Yeah, some stupid useless ones like every other race.

I'm New Here

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

at least humans have Hounds of balthazar my suggestion DO NOT GO ENGINEER you ll regret it deeply, also what server you at ?

I'm New Here

Posted by: RDR.2039

RDR.2039

@Rezzet I take it you made an Engineer and it failed your play style? I am also new, like Contrast Ray – downloading my game and looking for a career choice… Engineer sounded like it may good a good choice – why is it so bad?

I'm New Here

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

not really a flaw in my play style just that what you do as engineer mashing 12 keys you do it as other profession with 1-3 keys. 2900 power and 75% crit damage plus 30% damage from traits and my highest critical damage has been 1150 whereas warrior with auto attack alone i landed 3k damage.

I'm New Here

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Hello,

You should play on Yak’s Bend if you haven’t chosen a server, I hear they are the best.

In terms of races, pick what appeals to you. There are certain armors ets that only each race can get called Culture armor, seen here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cultural_armor,

Terms of class here are my two cents on them.

Best classes: Guardian, thief, and Mesmer. Mesmers can be a bit tricky to get the hang of, but once you do they’re amazing.

Alright Classes: Warrior, Elementalist, Ranger. It is either because of all the things they can do, the best classes can do better or they are “One trick ponies”.

Ehh/Bad classes : Necro (MM is really weird and bad AI, bugs, very little burst) and Engineer (just take a yonder at the engineer forum. You’ll see why)

As a side note, each class has a unique playstyle. I advise you to create one of each and try them out. Venture into the sPvP area (crossed swords at top left) and see what skills they have and they general play of their gameplay.

I'm New Here

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

at least humans have Hounds of balthazar my suggestion DO NOT GO ENGINEER you ll regret it deeply, also what server you at ?

Bha Rezzet is right if the only thing you care about is Big numbers for attacks but Engi’s have a hell of alot more utilaty than warriors and if you actually understand how role’s work in this game thats a big deal.

I'm New Here

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Bha Rezzet is right if the only thing you care about is Big numbers for attacks but Engi’s have a hell of alot more utilaty than warriors and if you actually understand how role’s work in this game thats a big deal.

I did a main as a engineer and im leveling a warrior right now. The thing with engineers is that they dotn have any weapon switching and that a 6 skill combo can do the same dps as a 3 skill combo with other classes. The one thing that engineers have is great condition removal. However their CC, while some may considered good, I find a mace/shield + hammer warrior can easily get the same amount.

I really wouldnt recommend engineer as a starting character. Guardian is someone i would recommend. Thiefs are great at higher levels, but leveling can be a bit tough. Mesmers can be the same as guardians, however they have a really unique playstyle that you need to get used to.

I'm New Here

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

The racial abilities aren’t strong enough to give an advantage, so just play around in chargen until you find one you like.

Regarding classes, the easiest ones to start with are Warrior, Guardian, Ranger (most forgiving ranged class imo, but the pets can be buggy, see necro) or Necro (higher health pool, but the pets can be a buggy— but everyone’s are), and probably in that order.

However, if you are used to playing ranged or fragile melee classes, any of the others will do.

That said, people criticise one class or another as bad/broken/whatever, and I want to strongly emphasise that this is personal preference and playstyle. Engineer’s had some issues with its mechanics, but people who get the class still do extremely well. Same with Ele, Necro, Mesmer, Ranger, etc. In my opinion, this game — more than many others — is extremely based around how well you mesh with your class, and people who don’t grok it get convinced it’s too broken or is imbalanced in some way or another.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

I'm New Here

Posted by: stormdragon.4932

stormdragon.4932

Hey guys i’m Contrast Ray, I am new to Guild Wars 2. I am currently downloading the game and was wondering what is the best race to choose and what is the best profession.
Thanks

Welcome to the forums ignore the hate machine they are mostly former Zealots who are buttsore.

Now then….it may sound a bit bland but I’m having a blast with a Human Ranger and My Charr Engineer is tons of fun as well.

I'm New Here

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Charrdian. Nuff Said.

I'm New Here

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

I have a Thief, Necro (Minion Master) and a Ranger at 80 currently.

My favorite for Orr MF farming is the Necro because I can solo some group event bosses and have the best AOE in the game. Survival out the wazoo and can stack MF without worrying too much about kill speed.

Thief is my favorite for discovering and resource gathering because stealth, specifically shadow refuge, is just so OP. This is also my WvWvW choice, because I get to pick most of my battles.

My Ranger is pretty much just sitting because I have 2 professions that can do what I need much better, but it was fun to level. Do enjoy some WvWvW with this one as well but not as much as Thief.

My Warrior is level 50 and pretty much easy mode for leveling. 5 signet GS/Rifle is just hot knife through butter most of the time.

My other alts are ~25 and have not put a lot of time into yet, working on one of each profession, currently lacking only the Engineer.

I'm New Here

Posted by: Gorwe.9672

Gorwe.9672

Go Norn or go home!

No, really just pick the race that looks best/coolest to you and depending on what you want pick the right class:

Offensive Support: Warrior/Necromancer/Engineer
Defensive Support: Guardian/Elementalist/Engineer
High Damage: Thief/Warrior/Elementalist
High Speed: Thief/Elementalist/Ranger
Jack of all trades: Engineer/Elementalist/Mesmer
Damage over time: Necro/Ranger/Elementalist
Difficult to play: Mesmer/Engineer/Elementalist
Easy to play: Ranger/Warrior/Necromancer
Personal recommendation: Ranger/Ele/Warrior

The list is written in the following pattern: 1st choice(best choice)/2nd choice(2nd best choice)/3rd choice(still better than the rest-3rd best choice). This is all imo of course!

Enjoy!

I'm New Here

Posted by: Valdur.3607

Valdur.3607

Happy New year and welcome to the GW2 community.Choose the race that you like and play the profession that you want.

I'm New Here

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Just pick one and see if you enjoy the looks (race) or playstyle (class). You have 5 character slots to fill so you have options there to see if you enjoy something more than another without creating/delete over and over. I have found that I need to change play style depending on what class I am playing and some days one class is more enjoyable than the next day. Also as with every game I have played so far a high level character plays differently than a low level one. Have not played warrior, mesmer or engineer but the others are all fun in different ways.