I'm a little angry.

I'm a little angry.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shinji.8320

Shinji.8320

i just started playing a Sylvari Mesmer, cycle of night, white stag dream, etc. I’ve tracked down the white stag with Gavin, and he invites me to join the nightmare court.

I WANT AN OPTION TO AGREE.

i think the game would be much more immersive if one could choose to be part of the Inquest/Nightmare Court/Flame Legion/ etc. What’s wrong with being an antihero? Using the power of the dark to fight the dark, as it were. seriously this is something ANet needs to consider.

#Revive14kThiefBackstabs
Phnglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu Rl’yeh wga’nagl fhtagn.

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

How could someone become Commander in the personal story if they are a member of the Nighmare court and oppose the Pale Tree and Trahearne?

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: GreenAlien.5623

GreenAlien.5623

How can humans work together with charr? Enemies can work together if they have a reason to do so (like a big, scary dragon).

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I dont think that joining the vilains makes one an antihero. Just another villain.

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: KarmaKat.5932

KarmaKat.5932

It would be nice to have a anti hero villain personal story. Well… mainly just so I don’t have to go through seeing kitten Trahearne stealing the spotlight from MY personal story.

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: teh persun.6517

teh persun.6517

I think that was the point of Gavin. To be a really nice person, but then you realize he wants to horribly abuse a creature of pure hope to brainwash people away from the pale tree towards a group of people who horribly abuse people to brainwash people away from the pale tree

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Silalus.8760

Silalus.8760

To a certain extent most PC’s already are antiheros. We haven’t joined a faction that is killed on sight by the general public, because that would be impractical, but in the course of the PS and LS a lot of PC’s do some rather nasty things.

Tyria is not a very nice place, and one of the themes of the game seems to be that the road to hell is paved with our intentions, good or otherwise. It’s sometimes a bit Bioshocky.

For example, anyone that played through season 1 was put in a position where it would have been reasonable to apprehend Scarlet and bring her to stand trial and (possibly more importantly) find out what her real motivations were. Instead we choose to execute her on the spot. Not a shred of heroism there.

Likewise most of the cultures we come from have some kind of serious and obvious moral ambiguity that we generally embrace. For example any Asura is automatically assumed to be a racist, egomaniacal jerk perfectly comfortable with a life that has a distinct “Hail Hyrda!” atmosphere. Charr are conditioned as soldiers from birth, Sparta-style, complete with systematic abuse in a creche environment. And Sylvari… Well, they seem innocent enough, don’t they? Sounds legit.

You get the idea. My point is, while no character matches the antiheroism of a deathknight or necromancer from WoW, there’s a lot of darkness there already- just a practical, culturally acceptable sort.

Edit: Oh, and let’s not forget that every single PC has killed countless thousands of sapient beings, and decimated entire ecosystems of animals. :P

(edited by Silalus.8760)

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

The personal story is a neat little package with not much choice in it, its goal is more to tell the story of Tyria than the story of your character.

However, I can say with certainty that if you were to join the roleplaying community, joining the Nightmare court is possible and with fewer bounds than a built-in storyline. Problem is that roleplaying in this game is hit or miss most of the time with quality.

But to be honest, the Nightmare court is full of cruelty, pain, superiority complexes, suffering, petty vengeance, greed, violence, pointless murder, torture, etc. for one reason: because they can. Because they were told not to by the Tree. That doesn’t really sound compelling to me. There’s no good reason to introduce such negative elements anywhere, so their existence in my opinion is pointless and a perfect example of pure evil malice with no purpose.

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

No thx .. this game doesn’t need open PvP (since that is where all this antihero stuff normally leads to)

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

This makes you angry?

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Hi, A Little Angry.

I’m dad.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Role-play is always an option. May not be mandated by the game itself. But I certainly enjoy that one of my Sylvari was a Soundless and has now “embraced” Mordremoth’s influence. =D

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I WANT AN OPTION TO AGREE.

… you were assassinated by Caithe. The end.

That’s your story.

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Then get angrier or take a chill pill’ cause Anet aren’t about to make 4 storylines and go to Cantha in 3044.

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

this is worth being a “lil angry” about ?

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m not sure anger is an appropriate response, so I won’t take that part seriously.

As for why you can’t join the Nightmare Court, Inquest, etc., it’s just a question of economy and design decisions made. If you joined the Nightmare Court, for instance, they’d need to make one or more dramatically different storylines just for the Sylvari portion of your story, to say nothing about what effect it would have on your Order or Pact storylines. Then you’ve got to decide what to do about your interaction with open-world NPCs—Do you still fight Nightmare Court in the open world if you’re a member? Do you fight good-aligned Sylvari?

You certainly could make a game like that, and plenty exist. But GW2 isn’t that type of game, because they decided to spend their resources differently, writing the storylines they did and an open-world where everyone interacts consistently with enemies.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

I'm a little angry.

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

Then your personal missions would be , Stand in X place and wait for a “hero” to kill you