I'm a scribe- Made a Chair - Can't sit in it-

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ethan Mccloud.3218

Ethan Mccloud.3218

Title says it all- Fix this please-Thank you

Gwen
Tarnish Coast Defender
Proud Member OF “TSF” The Shining Force.

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

Interacting with furniture? In GW2?

Wait for the obligatory “there are more important things” and “they don’t have enough resources, I’d rather have the devs focus on other things” posts in 3… 2… 1…

Edit: Oh, I forgot the most common one: “It’s not really adding anything to the game, so it’s not worth the time and money” coming along with “Did you already work with their enginge? You have no idea how hard it is to implement”

(edited by Tekey.7946)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The chair is an illusion

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you so desire, you can Google for the Dev response about the inability to sit in chairs, and why it has not been implemented.

Good luck.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

“So, what’s the deal with chairs?”

A brief, surprised laugh. “You know, I honestly have no idea. One of the great challenges that we faced with chairs, and this is kind of ironic, is that because we put in five different races of differing heights into the game, we found we had to make every chair uniform and have everyone always sit on them the exact same way or build an entire system that recognizes the height of the chair and appropriately animates your character.”

And:

Johanson adds dolefully, “We kind of forced ourselves into a corner where we either go back and re-art every chair in the game, or we build this system for sitting. I think in the grand scheme of things, given all the other projects, we have going on, sitting, as important as it is, is not something we’re currently working on.”

In other words: too much work

Source: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/colin-johanson-talks-dungeons-dragons-and-chairs

Tekey.7946

Too much work? Here’s another thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Please-give-us-chairs-to-actually-sit-on

1. Add a new emote /sitchair

Actually… i remember City of Heroes had a sitchair emote (s), where would put your character on said position. That way you wont have to redo all chairs. Sure, depending the chair you’ll have characters feet clipping through the floor… but I’d prefer that over nothing.

2. More work, but earn money with it. I found the suggestion funny:

Animation where you pull out your own chair.
Make it scale to character size.
Add new chairs to gemstore like mail birds.

maddoctor.2738

Too much work?

So a “forum developer” says it’s easy, while an actual developer says it’s too much work. I would go with what the actual developers say over some random forum poster with zero knowledge.

Tekey.7946

So a “forum developer” says it’s easy, while an actual developer says it’s too much work. I would go with what the actual developers say over some random forum poster with zero knowledge.

The suggested solutions are workarounds Anet might not have thought of. They’re certainly not perfect either, but better than having nothing at all. Adding an emote is surely not too much work.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Why let people craft unusable stuff though? No one was holding them hostage to make them add chairs to the scribe’s repertoire. What’s next? Weapon smiths crafting two-handed axes that no one in the game can equip?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Why let people craft unusable stuff though?

Who says they let people do it?

Maybe its not Anet fault that the OP scriber made such a worthless chair that its unusable. He should have had an actual woodworker and furniture maker do it.

I mean this is like being able to read IKEA instructions just fine yet still expect to build a workable thing in the end. Its impossible!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Interacting with furniture? In GW2?

Wait for the obligatory “there are more important things” and “they don’t have enough resources, I’d rather have the devs focus on other things” posts in 3… 2… 1…

Edit: Oh, I forgot the most common one: “It’s not really adding anything to the game, so it’s not worth the time and money” coming along with “Did you already work with their enginge? You have no idea how hard it is to implement”

You’re very free and easy with other people’s money and time.

In real life business have income and expenses. They have a budget and can’t just hire new devs as they wish. Each dev already has a full plate of projects. Which means that in order for a dev to do one thing something else can’t be done. This means they have to prioritize. If a project is too much work for too little gain then it’s not going to be done.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

maddoctor.2738

Why let people craft unusable stuff though? No one was holding them hostage to make them add chairs to the scribe’s repertoire. What’s next? Weapon smiths crafting two-handed axes that no one in the game can equip?

Can you put things inside a basket you made with a scribe? Add books to a bookshelf? Add anything inside a crate? Put anything on a table? (other than bundles that you can drop on)

They are decorations, not meant to be usable, just to make a guild hall look prettier. Would it be better to make guild decorations something more than decorations? Sure. But it’s not only about chairs.

Manasa Devi.7958

I have no idea what you can craft as a scribe, I’ve not invested a second into all the guildhall stuff. And posts like this make it more and more unlikely I ever will because it sounds like pointless goldsinks and busywork for stuff you can see sprinkled around any city.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Chairs look great in a properly-interior-designed Guild Hall; they look silly in a lot of places (including my sibling’s apartment, where, incidentally, no one can sit in half of them because they need to be fixed).

If you think chairs are useless, don’t make them. If you didn’t know you couldn’t sit in chairs in this game, consider doing more research next time before investing time and coin in a project.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Tekey.7946

In real life business have income and expenses. They have a budget and can’t just hire new devs as they wish. Each dev already has a full plate of projects. Which means that in order for a dev to do one thing something else can’t be done. This means they have to prioritize. If a project is too much work for too little gain then it’s not going to be done.

And there are things the company needs to do in order to provide a decent product and keep the people playing. If you can’t even sit in the GW2 mmoRPG, as well as interact with other players or have enough emotes, your roleplay community will switch to another game.

If you don’t have enough build diversity or a good balance among the classes, players who care about the combat and competitive aspects will switch to another game. And so on.

Each time they don’t care about a thing people will notice that and remember it.

The workarounds described in the other thread provided easy solutions without having much work.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I smile as my asura characters can pretty much sit anywhere (with a few exceptions) while my friends who play anything but asura can’t sit in anything.

:)

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Well you see you’re a scribe.

You probably butchered the intricate nature of crafting the chair itself. Wood working / metal working is srs buisness, no amount of blueprints can help you. (See Ikea)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You make the blueprints then the assembly device makes the item based on that.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

And there are things the company needs to do in order to provide a decent product and keep the people playing. If you can’t even sit in the GW2 mmoRPG, as well as interact with other players or have enough emotes, your roleplay community will switch to another game.

If you don’t have enough build diversity or a good balance among the classes, players who care about the combat and competitive aspects will switch to another game. And so on.

Each time they don’t care about a thing people will notice that and remember it.

The workarounds described in the other thread provided easy solutions without having much work.

The role play community has been playing for 4 years plus now. They’ve either accepted the game’s limitations or they’ve already left. Either way, there hasn’t been a big push on the forums for more roleplay options. Since people post about what’s important to them then that suggests that role play options such as sitting on a chair would be gratefully accepted by the role play community but there’s not enough demand for ANet to prioritize it. If role players want such things they need to show ANet that they have both the numbers and the willingness to buy to make it worthwhile for ANet to put this in game. A post here and a post there with months inbetween posts isn’t going to do it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

You know, there were chairs and all other sorts of things in City of Heroes that you couldn’t interact with, but Paragon didn’t waste time making items interactable, instead they did something just as smart, and added animations (LOTS of animations) that you could use based on where you were standing.
Want to sit on a wall? Just stand on the edge of the wall, and choose from something like half a dozen sit animations, and boom, you’re bottom is at the same level your feet just were, and you appear to be sitting on the wall.
We already have the code/ability to do this. Anet simply needs to add more emotes, which is something people have wanted for a LONG time.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: MrPinks.2015

MrPinks.2015

i mentioned it plenty of times in game

There are no chairs in guild wars !
every NPC in the world of Tyria is standing allllll day long
there are no chairs in camps , outposts , bases , stores and even towns
every NPC is standing …….. how is this a thing ! XD
Even in the CROWN ROOM queen Jennah is standing XD

Manasa Devi.7958

Tyrians just aren’t very clever. Another example: using their hands for climbing has never occurred to them. Luckily, the lands are generously sprinkled with conveniently spaced platforms that let people ascend all kinds of structures and natural formations “mountain goat”-style.

maddoctor.2738

Tyrians just aren’t very clever. Another example: using their hands for climbing has never occurred to them. Luckily, the lands are generously sprinkled with conveniently spaced platforms that let people ascend all kinds of structures and natural formations “mountain goat”-style.

200 years ago Tyrians couldn’t even jump :P
They are evolving

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Try that with a norn and you end up clipping your kitten through the seat with both legs wrapped around your neck like it’s the first time he ever witnessed one and has no idea how to use it.

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I have to say these posts are funny.

1- group is saying why make a chair i cant interact with. Which is a good point.

2- The other group understanding why they cant which is also fine. But we as the players should not be worried with Anet pay roll. I personally have given Anet around $200+ for GW1, Gw2 and HOT and i would like to be able to do things with stuff they added to the game.

I would just like to say that im at 386 scribing and 1 guild member at 400 with another 2 around the 250. We have been frustrated with the lack of things we can do with the things we make as well.

Obviously the immense lion statues, giant king toad as well as many other items are simply just really cool.

Yet so many of the items just feel like junk. Candles/lamps/braisers that dont light up a area. We cant blow them out. Fire pits with no fires and or camp fires we cant start or put out.

So obviously scribing is cool and the idea is great. Its just another frustrating thing since HOT basically for a year was 4 new maps, 3 wing raids and scribing. That is all a $100 expansion got me.

I have personally spent around 900 gold with all the mats i farmed to scribe. Then to add that I and 5 other guild member got our guild to level 59. Ive probably dumped over 5k gold worth of mats and another 2k buying others to upgrade it.

I know Anet felt like they threw out alot of work and content at us and i agree that the maps a greatly designed. Its just not for everyone and personally for me AB-TD-DS all missed since they are all the same as silver wastes now and i wasnt a huge fan of that.

Add in broken PvP leagues, a WvW map no one likes to play on. With guild halls and scribing which dont feel completed. And you have HOT in a nutshell. Alot of cool stuff that feels a bit rushed imo.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Adding this would actually increase the roleplay potential tenfold.

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

The thing is, we role players can be a flakey, disorganized lot and getting us together often leads to squabbling and the message not getting through.

The best solution is to let people craft different sized chairs for different sized races. Why make all chairs human sized? In the Black Citadel there are very large charr sized chairs. Same for the norn in the lodges. Add those to the recipe list and fix the clipping issue of sinking through furniture.

Add the coding for the snapto if you right click on a chair and you sit.

Now we have chairs!!!

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Please-give-us-chairs-to-actually-sit-on

Actually… i remember City of Heroes had a sitchair emote (s), where would put your character on said position. That way you wont have to redo all chairs. Sure, depending the chair you’ll have characters feet clipping through the floor… but I’d prefer that over nothing.

I gotta agree, that would be awesome to have. And the RP community would absolutely eat the chairs out of the gem store. Too much work sounds like an excuse rather than a reason. I agree, there are better things to work on, but they can’t really have exhausted all of their resources just yet. Just a small patch note.

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I gotta agree, that would be awesome to have. And the RP community would absolutely eat the chairs out of the gem store. Too much work sounds like an excuse rather than a reason. I agree, there are better things to work on, but they can’t really have exhausted all of their resources just yet. Just a small patch note.

Its probably something they just dont want to do.

For instance emotes from GW1 that people have brought up many times.

They have the ability/knowledge to bring them but simply dont want too.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m sad I can’t hold the balloons I made

Blood & Merlot [Wine]