I'm just not buying it

I'm just not buying it

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: blackoil.2673

blackoil.2673

And sorry for another price-rant thread, but this is made from a different point of view.

1. Are you telling me that we have to pay the same for a game that took 5 years to develop (GW2, from 2007 to 2012) that for an expansion that merely took 1 year?

2. You changed your expansion policy. Taken from wayback machine http://web.archive.org/web/20150319172415/https://help.guildwars2.com/home

Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.

Taken from updated FAQ:
Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes, but Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns includes the Guild Wars 2 core game.

Seriously? And you even made base-game sales like saying “Hey buy the base game, we are just selling it for 15$ so you can get the expansion when it comes out” and then giving it for FREE? You were selling one product telling people that they will NEED to upgrade to a newer version, but then on release date put the base product for free.
Isn’t this a scam? Can’t it be sued? Can’t it be considered tying?

I know the price can’t be changed right away, and I feel really sorry for you. Why wouldn’t you put something like 30$-55$-75$ tiers? It’s a way more fair price, that’s still not cheap. Couldn’t you realize it probably had sell a whole lot more, with way less people complaining?

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: Markhov.4603

Markhov.4603

To end this issue, they should come up with Upgrade pack from core game for existing GW2 players, cost $29.99. Case closed.

So long as there are men, there will be wars.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

To end this issue, they should come up with Upgrade pack from core game for existing GW2 players, cost $29.99. Case closed.

Pretty much.

Or give them the value of what they paid for the base game against the current value of the HoT bundle.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

Pretty much.

Or give them the value of what they paid for the base game against the current value of the HoT bundle.

The $50 price tag IS for the upgrade, you guys need to get that fact into your heads.

Attachments:

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Personally I think the problem here with people moaning about the price is really more an issue of how the expansion is being marketed rather than the price.

In that video it’s like they are trying to sell it to NEW players and not even addressing us current players which we pretty much can assume will be 99% of the actual buyers.

Maybe they just done an “oopsie” with the advertising/announcing. Personally I’m on the fence about the price atm, not sure the amount of content is worth it. Example back in GW we always got new classes, this is more like a “sort of new class add on to your current class” situation. Just seems like we are getting less. (edit- yes there is a new class I just remembered that now, but it’s still 1 less than usual and we don’t get a new slot for it like we normally would unless we get deluxe+). No idea how many new maps there are going to be or the depth to the new “content”. Well not from what I have seen so far yet anyway, but I do have to put a disclaimer in that I haven’t been paying much attention recently to the forums or updated info.

So for now I will be paying a little more attention to see if it’s worth buying yet or not. If you knew me from when I used to post a lot here or see some of my old posts you will know I was a very avid player and poster and I’m sure some would have labeled me as a fan boy lol…

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

I'm just not buying it

TexZero.7910

Pretty much.

The $50 price tag IS for the upgrade, you guys need to get that fact into your heads.

Good sir, I already own the base game why would i pay for it TWICE.

While this pre-order may contain an upgrade it also contains a product i already own as part of the sale price. Meaning that i am effectively missing another product if i purchase as is currently bundled.

Get that through your head.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: Pimsley.6087

Pimsley.6087

K. Don’t buy it. If fifty bucks is going to stress people this much, perhaps they need a break from gaming to find better jobs. It’s a steak dinner. Buy it or don’t but stop whining about it. The price is the price.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I don’t understand why people complain so much.If they don’t like the price then don’t buy the game and wait untill it is in promotion.Everytone else like me and my frineds are happy to to buy it.Those guild halls look astonishing!

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

I'm just not buying it

TexZero.7910

K. Don’t buy it. If fifty bucks is going to stress people this much, perhaps they need a break from gaming to find better jobs. It’s a steak dinner. Buy it or don’t but stop whining about it. The price is the price.

If we took this approach the majority of the world would be lacking basic rights….

Good to know that we’re going backwards, not forwards.

So please attempt to silence people who have a genuine concern about how the product is being marketed.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

It’s also the price I paid for Nightfall and Factions, which were full campaigns with huge maps, new professions, extra character slots and a long storyline that offered far more than HOT promises to.

It’s also about the price of a lot of brand new games coming out that offer me a full gaming experience, not just the chance to play Living Story Part 3 in three new areas.

The question is one of relative value. If I’m paying only $10 less than I did on the full game and receiving only tiny fraction of what the full game offered, then it isn’t worth my time. Your quip that if we don’t want to pay extra we should get a better job is childish: it’s not that we can’t afford it, it’s that we’re not careless and stupid with our money.

Also, you pay too much for your steak.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Waaaaa, I played this game for 2-3 years and payed 50$ and now then want another 50$!!??11

Waaaa, why do they want money, it’s not like taking care of the game costs, especially when they don’t have a sub fee.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Pretty much.

While this pre-order may contain an upgrade it also contains a product i already own as part of the sale price. Meaning that i am effectively missing another product if i purchase as is currently bundled.

It’s just a bonus, it’s not actually added to the price, it’s a bonus. You ask why you should pay for the same thing twice, well, you don’t. Simple and easy.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: Mordalus.8146

Mordalus.8146

Waaaaa, I played this game for 2-3 years and payed 50$ and now then want another 50$!!??11

Waaaa, why do they want money, it’s not like taking care of the game costs, especially when they don’t have a sub fee.

I keep hearing this no sub fee argument. What about us schlubs that actually supported the game after the initial game purchase by buying gems? The value isn’t as pronounced for us. The xpac is overpriced. Plain and simple. Unless the devs are holding a few aces up their sleeves. But they’ve already said that what they’ve announced is all there is. It seems this b2p experiment isn’t as great as I thought it was when the game released if we’re just going to end up paying through the nose on the back end. There should at least be a discount for gem buying customers.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Pretty much.

Wrong, 49.99 is for HoT+Base game.

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

Attachments:

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I absolutely second your thoughts!

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

To be perfectly clear IT IS NOT ABOUT THE PRICE! It’s the fact that there is no incentive to upgrade an account. You’re essentially losing 4 character slots and a bank’s worth of storage if you upgrade. I have absolutely no issue paying $50 for the game or the xpac or any of the tons of cool stuff they put on the gem store, but I will not upgrade an account if I’m going TO LOSE something for it. This totally trivializes the work I’ve put into the game. And it’s an easy fix, give everyone that upgrades 1500 gems for character slots and goodies off the gemstore. It’s not the same value as a totally new account but at least it’s not a slap in the face.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

To be perfectly clear IT IS NOT ABOUT THE PRICE! It’s the fact that there is no incentive to upgrade an account. You’re essentially losing 4 character slots and a bank’s worth of storage if you upgrade. I have absolutely no issue paying $50 for the game or the xpac or any of the tons of cool stuff they put on the gem store, but I will not upgrade an account if I’m going TO LOSE something for it. This totally trivializes the work I’ve put into the game. And it’s an easy fix, give everyone that upgrades 1500 gems for character slots and goodies off the gemstore. It’s not the same value as a totally new account but at least it’s not a slap in the face.

It is about the price.

AAA games go for 49.99-59.99 for the base package MOST of the time, this is an ADDON to the base game.

Not to mention GW2 is not a AAA Title. Hell it still uses DX9c and has its own inherent performance issues that were never resolved.

Now take on the fact that some of us have multiple accounts that we support (wife, 2 brothers, 2 nephews and myself) thats one hell of an upgrade budget!

THEN add in all that stuff you said about what is lost by the bundled base game…and its a complete package of lose on Anet’s side.

They must change this.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

It’s also the price I paid for Nightfall and Factions, which were full campaigns with huge maps, new professions, extra character slots and a long storyline that offered far more than HOT promises to.

It’s also about the price of a lot of brand new games coming out that offer me a full gaming experience, not just the chance to play Living Story Part 3 in three new areas.

The question is one of relative value. If I’m paying only $10 less than I did on the full game and receiving only tiny fraction of what the full game offered, then it isn’t worth my time. Your quip that if we don’t want to pay extra we should get a better job is childish: it’s not that we can’t afford it, it’s that we’re not careless and stupid with our money.

Also, you pay too much for your steak.

^This. Some people value their money, and apparently some people don’t. I guess he’s content with a thin and dried out steak dinner for $50, when he could get a thick and juicy one a couple blocks down for the same price or lower.

I'm just not buying it

TexZero.7910

Pretty much.

It’s just a bonus, it’s not actually added to the price, it’s a bonus. You ask why you should pay for the same thing twice, well, you don’t. Simple and easy.

You can call it a bonus, i’ll call it what it is a bundle.

The cost is calculated with HoT and the Core game. Hence you’re getting the core game at no cost when you buy it.

But if we already own it what we are getting is just HoT. The so called “Bonus” becomes obsolete the moment you link HoT to an existing account. No “base game”.

So why would anyone pay twice to get half the product ?
Fandom aside, while im likely to still buy it, i find this leaving an overall sour taste in my mouth.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Yep.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Pretty much.

You can call it a bonus, i’ll call it what it is a bundle.

The cost is calculated with HoT and the Core game. Hence you’re getting the core game at no cost when you buy it.

But if we already own it what we are getting is just HoT. The so called “Bonus” becomes obsolete the moment you link HoT to an existing account. No “base game”.

So why would anyone pay twice to get half the product ?
Fandom aside, while im likely to still buy it, i find this leaving an overall sour taste in my mouth.

It’s not a bonus – what bonus do I get. NOTHING.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: charmtrap.6501

charmtrap.6501

Fifty bones? Oh hells no. I was assuming $25 or $30 for an expansion…I have so many games already, I can wait for the inevitable half-off sale.

I'm just not buying it

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Okay, after some thoughts I admit it is rather unwise to not include at least one character slot in the standard edition. They added two in GW1 campaigns though the price was full price (around USD70 here where I live).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong