I'm new and i just bought this game:

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Iorek.5261

Iorek.5261

I am downloading the game right now. I’m installing CD #1 and it is taking forever!
It’s been a good 10 minutes and it’s STILL at 0 percent. I feel like either i’m doing something wrong, or this is just normal.

It says that it’s going at 70ish KB/sec. Is there any way i can make it go faster?

-Thanks

Iorek.5261

BUMP! Can use some help.

Posted by: Wolfend.5287

Wolfend.5287

the download takes several hours

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

I wish we could tell you something helpful, but we don’t have any advice that would either speed up your Internet connection or the speed of the download server. Sorry. I wish we could do something for you.

Iorek.5261

I wish we could tell you something helpful, but we don’t have any advice that would either speed up your Internet connection or the speed of the download server. Sorry. I wish we could do something for you.

Man and it sucks because i had it at like 30% the other day. It really bothers me that it doesn’t start at 30% but at 1%….

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

there has been people that said that too cd installation was slow dunno what type of cd is and what read hardware are they using.

but you can try by downloading the game if you have a fast internet speed.

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

Even the installation is a grind!

C’mon, someone had to say it… lol.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

70kBps ? that would take few days if you’re downloading the whole content of 16GB. if you install from the optical media, there’s a way that make you download only 2.5GB….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Iorek.5261

there has been people that said that too cd installation was slow dunno what type of cd is and what read hardware are they using.

but you can try by downloading the game if you have a fast internet speed.

Dude i bought the game it’s 1% every 15 minutes….

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

If you know someone who has the game already, you can actually have them copy it to a portable hard drive or flash drive (if they have one big enough). Just copy the whole directory.

From there, you can copy it to your hard drive, create a shortcut and run it.

This is what I did. After I downloaded it once, I put it on my laptop, my wife’s computer (she has her own account) and my wife’s laptop. So, I know it works okay. (Not to mention that I keep an updated version on my portable hard drive in case I need to reinstall it for any reason).

Posted by: Happyfunball.2798

Happyfunball.2798

Man and it sucks because i had it at like 30% the other day. It really bothers me that it doesn’t start at 30% but at 1%….

I could be wrong, but I believe the 30% you downloaded early is still actually downloaded. The new “1%” you’re seeing is in reference to the remainder you still have left. In other words, it didn’t restart from the beginning. It’s simply ignoring whatever you downloaded previously as already being completed.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yeah, if you have a friend who is playing it, you can simply copy his GW2 folder (contains only 3 files)

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Iorek.5261

I could be wrong, but I believe the 30% you downloaded early is still actually downloaded. The new “1%” you’re seeing is in reference to the remainder you still have left. In other words, it didn’t restart from the beginning. It’s simply ignoring whatever you downloaded previously as already being completed.

Iorek.5261

Can you confirm this, im about to go return the game… this download is ridiculous.

Posted by: Sinphul.3091

Sinphul.3091

Yes it picks up for where you left off. The 1% you’re seeing is the files count from where you picked back up.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Can you confirm this, im about to go return the game… this download is ridiculous.

After the CD install, there would be like – a ton of files needed to be downloaded as “patches”. Took me 1 evening on the first day, but I am sitting on 56kbps speed.

What you can do is let it patch before you sleep, and chances are, if your internet speed is alot faster than mine, it will be done as soon as you wake up.

Stay patient.

You can also close the window while downloading, and when you open it up, it will show as back to 0%, where in reality, it just starts where you left before.

BTW, the % is NOT based on the filesize/download size – it is based on the total number of files on the right of the bar.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

The % left you see every time you restart is the % of the current amount you have not downloaded. Look at the total # of files left to download.

For example, and I’m not using real numbers, on your first session you didn’t have anything downloaded. You were at 15% of 40,000 files, on the next session you were at 1% of 30,000 files, next time maybe 10% of 20,000 files.

Iorek.5261

Yes it picks up for where you left off. The 1% you’re seeing is the files count from where you picked back up.

Oh god yes.

Iorek.5261

Thank you all. As far as i’m concerned, in reality, my download is already ahead, it just doesn’t show it. Am i correct?

Posted by: AW Lore.5682

AW Lore.5682

that is correct, lessay to play the game there are 1000 files, you downloaded up to 30%, meaning you downloaded 300 files, you close it, the percentage starts again from 0, but you only have to download 700 files after it.

Posted by: Residual Jams.7294

Residual Jams.7294

@lorek, say you started at 20,000 files needing to download and you finish 6000 files at 20%; when you close the client and reopen it you’ll see 14,000 files remaining at 0% because thats now your new base download, hope that helps.

Posted by: Seven.8326

Seven.8326

heres a pro tip too man if you wanna enjoy this game dont ever come to these forums or enter at your own risk.

Posted by: slazzy.7309

slazzy.7309

heres a pro tip too man if you wanna enjoy this game dont ever come to these forums or enter at your own risk.

Dude, totally agree. To the OP, don’t come here ever again. This is not a true sampling of how the pop feels, no matter what anyone says. Check the reddit/r/guildwars2 site, check guildwars2forum.com for cool chatter, but not here. Seriously. This is not a place for educated discussion. It doesn’t happen here. The other community sites on reddit and guildwars2forum are a far better place to discuss issues and feel like you are part of a community. Not here.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Dude, totally agree. To the OP, don’t come here ever again. This is not a true sampling of how the pop feels, no matter what anyone says. Check the reddit/r/guildwars2 site, check guildwars2forum.com for cool chatter, but not here. Seriously. This is not a place for educated discussion. It doesn’t happen here. The other community sites on reddit and guildwars2forum are a far better place to discuss issues and feel like you are part of a community. Not here.

. . . I’d also stay off Reddit. Much as I love how informative and useful it can be, fundamentally it’s like the forums here with a little more “community-based moderation” going on in the form of downvotes/upvotes.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.