I'm new, what server should I play?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Seedyfergo.7059

Seedyfergo.7059

Hey, I just recently purchased Guild Wars 2 for sale after finally finding a game that might scratch that MMO itch that i had after quitting wow and before that Runescape. I’ve been reading up on the lore and the races of the game and boy do I have time to do that with my Australian Wifi. After finally booting up the game I’m presented with the choice to choose the home server. So as stated in the title what server should I join? Should I join a server that has a high population or a very high population? Should I play an American or European server?

Thank you.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/wvw

If you care about WvW, then look at that list. You can switch between EU and NA. Other than that though, servers do not really matter anymore, since there are mega-servers now. What that means is, maps get filled up with people from all different servers. It’s sort of like cross-realm zoning in WoW, if you’ve ever played their version of it.

Posted by: Seedyfergo.7059

Seedyfergo.7059

Alright thanks this will definitely help me choose, however how often do the most popular servers become full? I would enjoy playing on a more populated server however I’m just a bit worried that I wouldn’t be able to play the game due to the server being full. Do servers become full very often?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

If you have a character on that world, you can log in even if it says full, it only stops people transferring to that server.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Alright thanks this will definitely help me choose, however how often do the most popular servers become full? I would enjoy playing on a more populated server however I’m just a bit worried that I wouldn’t be able to play the game due to the server being full. Do servers become full very often?

No, not anymore. It was only a problem during launch and the several months afterwards. There used to be queues for WvW, but i don’t think there is anymore, but i’m not sure about higher tiered servers.

Also, you can Guest on other servers at the selection screen, but as a Guest you cannot play their WvW matches.