I'm sick of fighting the camera

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Everytime i get too close to an object I can’t see what the heck I am doing. Its worse in indoor or tight places. A year and a half later the problem persists. Why? These are easy fixes to make.

The camera should stay static unless I move it myself If I bump up against an object the camera should stay fixed and the obstruction should go transparent. This way I’ll be able to maneuver around it without being blinded.

While you’re fixing this add 30%-50% more zoom out. It will not only make the game less dizzying. It will allow me to take in more of the action. It’s not fun getting hit by a mob that you can’t see.

Thank you

(edited by SHM.7628)

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Yes, the camera is extremely annoying. Also, the disappearing mouse pointer; I spend so much time waving my mouse around looking for the pointer.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Add in blinding particle spam and voila, the unholy trinity.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Yes, the camera also needs an adjustable Z-Axis. Very much so in many cases.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Maethril.9586

Maethril.9586

Personally I haven’t had any problems with camera in this game, like ever. Though I switched A to strafe left and D to strafe right straight in day one. Then I control my camera whole time I move with M2 button, while zooming in or out with mouse wheel, works like a charm for me.
So if someone ever changes it in some patch etc, I would love to have option to keep this old one in settings. :P

Lvl 80 Warrior – Ranger – Thief – Elementalist – Mesmer – Guardian.
Switched Anet to Square E and haven’t regretted it even once.

SHM.7628

Personally I haven’t had any problems with camera in this game, like ever. Though I switched A to strafe left and D to strafe right straight in day one. Then I control my camera whole time I move with M2 button, while zooming in or out with mouse wheel, works like a charm for me.
So if someone ever changes it in some patch etc, I would love to have option to keep this old one in settings. :P

You’re the first person I’ve ever cam across who liked the camera. You are a rare bird indeed. The camera used to bounce around a lot more too when you butted up against something. They clearly did some work on that because it’s much better than it was. (but not fixed) Perhaps i should rename this post “the Cloverfield Camera”

(edited by SHM.7628)

SHM.7628

Yes, the camera is extremely annoying. Also, the disappearing mouse pointer; I spend so much time waving my mouse around looking for the pointer.

I have noticed this too, but it happens rarely for me. I thought it my just be me. Obviously it’s a bug that needs addressing. thanks for the input.

SHM.7628

Add in blinding particle spam and voila, the unholy trinity.

Yes, this is true particularly in a big zerg. Plus the frame rate slows way down too. Although this is a separate issue the end result seems to be the same = blindness.

SHM.7628

Would it bee too much to ask for a dev reply to this post? I don’t ordinarilly do that, but this problem has persisted since the Beta. Are there any plans to actually fix this in the works? Perhaps i am missing something? Is this fix difficult to make?

Posted by: RaynStargaze.6510

RaynStargaze.6510

i think none of you played TERA where all dungeons are in insanely small spaces which kittens the camera up horribly and people ask you to tank mobs with your back against a wall which causes you to entirely lose sight – roflmao

gw2 camera is pretty alright as far as im concerned

Posted by: Kilandros.2098

Kilandros.2098

/signed

Frustration with the camera is a big part of what’s pushing me away from this game.

The gameplay is simply feeling too clunky for me right now. I can’t see what’s going on in large combats. There’s a weird dodge delay that rears its ugly head and random times. Camera angle is an absolute joke.

It’s making it hard to stay interested, to be honest.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

i think none of you played TERA where all dungeons are in insanely small spaces which kittens the camera up horribly and people ask you to tank mobs with your back against a wall which causes you to entirely lose sight – roflmao

I played this game that 1 six year old built during a week long summer camp. Guild Wars 2 is great compared to that! (The camera in that game was better though)

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Yeah, the reason I stopped doing jumping puzzles with my main norn. Half of the time, you have absolutely no idea where you are and what direction you are facing.

The camera is abyssmal. They said it is hard to fix. Which translates to: Deal with it!

SHM.7628

Yeah, the reason I stopped doing jumping puzzles with my main norn. Half of the time, you have absolutely no idea where you are and what direction you are facing.

The camera is abyssmal. They said it is hard to fix. Which translates to: Deal with it!

Thanks. They did say it was hard to fix? I didn’t see that. To me it seems like it would take a heck of a lot more work to make it that bad than to fix it. Locking it into position and making things in the way go transparent seems like an easy fix. Though I am not a computer programmer.

I seriously can’t even imagine what sane person would think that this camera design would be a good idea.

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

“The camera is worse in X game, therefore ours is fine”.

How about both are bad and should get some improvement?

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

It blows my mind, that people would defend something that is obviously broken. Even ANet said that it is broken.

An easy fix would be to implement a first person view, but for whatever reason, ANet loathes the idea of doing so (some talk about different points of view for different races comes to my mind)…

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

Try using arrow cart in WvW. Your camera goes haywire each time when u enter the cart.

Posted by: Ilyuma.4238

Ilyuma.4238

Im fairly new to the game and imo the camera is one of the worst features. I really really really want an option to increase FOV as well (I dont care if it means odd bugs or bad graphics on the periphery I just want the choice), picking an asura also seems to have been a mistake as it limits my view still further.

SHM.7628

Im fairly new to the game and imo the camera is one of the worst features. I really really really want an option to increase FOV as well (I dont care if it means odd bugs or bad graphics on the periphery I just want the choice), picking an asura also seems to have been a mistake as it limits my view still further.

This has been a problem since the beta. It’s frustrating because They’ve done fix after fix to other things in the game. Often times these fixes have been unnecessary (other fixes have been outrighly destructive.) Some of these fixes were huge undertakings. Then a ground ball like this goes unaddressed.

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

I think a first person mode might help a little with this. I’m not sure if making walls transparent is a good solution because that can lead to exploits. However, with a first person camera mode (basically being able to zoom in all the way to first person), if your back is to a wall, at least you could go into first person mode to be able to see everything in front of you.

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

There have been complaint threads on the camera since beta. There have been some changes to it but honestly I haven’t noticed any. I remember Anet commenting a few times on it that there were a lot of compromises made with the camera system during development. I believe Josh specifically wanted some changes made but had to design some of the JP’s around the camera limitations when he was told no.

The quality of the camera and snap zooming with collisions is inexcusable. I still find myself impeded by it almost daily. Yet I have hope it can be fixed as not all characters suffer the same issue. I find a huge difference when playing with my Sylvari or Human characters vs. my Norn or Charr characters with Asura falling in the middle for its own issues due to being too small. The large characters should not snap zoom to inside their heads when in tight spaces or when a minor object such as a tree branch is behind them.

FOV is its own separate issue. The GW2 world is beaultifully created yet 90% of the time all we see is the ground…

SHM.7628

I think a first person mode might help a little with this. I’m not sure if making walls transparent is a good solution because that can lead to exploits. However, with a first person camera mode (basically being able to zoom in all the way to first person), if your back is to a wall, at least you could go into first person mode to be able to see everything in front of you.

Obviously if you walk up to a huge building wall you shouldn’t see through the entire building. Why should my foward view be obstructed or changed if I back up to something? That is simply nonsensical.

A lot of the time the obstruction is a simple terrain item like a boulder or overhanging braches. Those should clearly go transparent.

I don’t think the camera angle should ever move unless I move it. However, if it does move, it should move to make my view better not worse. I can’t tell you how many times there’s been a small terrain change (like a small incline) and the camera readjusts to make look at the ground.

Why would I ever want to be looking at the ground? If it readjusts it should be to keep things at eye level.

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

Obviously if you walk up to a huge building wall you shouldn’t see through the entire building. Why should my foward view be obstructed or changed if I back up to something? That is simply nonsensical.

A lot of the time the obstruction is a simple terrain item like a boulder or overhanging braches. Those should clearly go transparent.

I don’t think the camera angle should ever move unless I move it. However, if it does move, it should move to make my view better not worse. I can’t tell you how many times there’s been a small terrain change (like a small incline) and the camera readjusts to make look at the ground.

Why would I ever want to be looking at the ground? If it readjusts it should be to keep things at eye level.

I agree that smaller objects could safely be made transparent. The example given was for “objects”, and I assumed this applied to things like walls as well. This could be problematic, especially in WvW, for example. However, I think that the code to make objects transparent and not move the camera based on the terrain will be much more involved than adding a first person camera mode. That’s why I suggested it. I think it has a much higher likelihood of actually happening.

SHM.7628

FOV is its own separate issue. The GW2 world is beaultifully created yet 90% of the time all we see is the ground…

Snip (I agree with the rest of what you said.)

It’ really not a separate issue, It’s all camera. It’s badly thought out poor camera design. What is their excuse for such a poorly designed camera? It’s not something new to MMO’s. It’s a game basic. It simple needs to stay in place.

The only thing they screwed up this bad is underwater fighting. At least for the most part that can be avoided. I can’t play without the camera.

Posted by: Joreel.9263

Joreel.9263

I have to agree the camera is horrid in the game. I use the right mouse button and ball to look around, but half the time the game doesn’t register that I’ve clicked the right mouse button. This is the only game I have this problem with as every other MMO and SP game I play see the right button every time.

(edited by Joreel.9263)

Posted by: DouBLe.6084

DouBLe.6084

To fix the camera they have to entirely change how the game is rendered. There was a dev post months ago to this effect (basically, the game makes some assumptions based on the camera never being behind walls and such).

The camera is only an issue in a relatively limited number of places, and as such isn’t a high priority. At best I would hope for a 1st person camera mode where your character’s model is hidden from you.

SHM.7628

To fix the camera they have to entirely change how the game is rendered. There was a dev post months ago to this effect (basically, the game makes some assumptions based on the camera never being behind walls and such).

The camera is only an issue in a relatively limited number of places, and as such isn’t a high priority. At best I would hope for a 1st person camera mode where your character’s model is hidden from you.

If you could produce this post I’d love to read it. A lot of people seem to be in favor of a first person view. I’m not crazy about that as an option, but indoos it certainly is better than nothing.

(edited by SHM.7628)

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Anet purposefully made the camera zoomed in because of combat awareness. Now I don’t agree with this myself all it does is make it so I have to constantly keep rotating the camera

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Anet purposefully made the camera zoomed in because of combat awareness. Now I don’t agree with this myself all it does is make it so I have to constantly keep rotating the camera

I have to keep rotating the camera because every monster seems to be designed to try to run through me to get behind me. Not just ranged ones (or the allover the place Tamini) so they can hit me in the back. Even melee monsters will run up to me and always go about two steps behind. After the thousandth time when I know. “Ok those monsters will run up to me and go slightly behind so I stop attacking and have to do a 180 and re-attack” gets annoying (for me at least).

Also with regards to earlier mentioned FoV, I really wish there was some way to increase it. I have to play more zoomed out on my characters than I’d like or else it feels too claustrophobic. I wish I could play on the second closest zoom where I can see all my toons in glorious detail but the left and right are so confined that it makes it an uncomfortable experience. It’s not my zoom distance that’s the problem here but the FoV. So many other games I’ve played with my characters at that distance from the camera without the same feeling (even if it required ini editing it was doable like in 3rd person mode in Skyrim for example).

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

The camera should stay static unless I move it myself If I bump up against an object the camera should stay fixed and the obstruction should go transparent. This way I’ll be able to maneuver around it without being blinded.

This is true.

GW2 camera sucks. Why can’t they just make the walls transparent (and make is so that people on the other side is NOT seen) like some MMOs?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

I have to keep rotating the camera because every monster seems to be designed to try to run through me to get behind me. Not just ranged ones (or the allover the place Tamini) so they can hit me in the back. Even melee monsters will run up to me and always go about two steps behind. After the thousandth time when I know. “Ok those monsters will run up to me and go slightly behind so I stop attacking and have to do a 180 and re-attack” gets annoying (for me at least).

Also with regards to earlier mentioned FoV, I really wish there was some way to increase it. I have to play more zoomed out on my characters than I’d like or else it feels too claustrophobic. I wish I could play on the second closest zoom where I can see all my toons in glorious detail but the left and right are so confined that it makes it an uncomfortable experience. It’s not my zoom distance that’s the problem here but the FoV. So many other games I’ve played with my characters at that distance from the camera without the same feeling (even if it required ini editing it was doable like in 3rd person mode in Skyrim for example).

I would not try changing the FoV through editing a file or using a software anet stated it gives the player doing it an advantage so you can get banned.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

GW2 doesn’t have ini’s we can edit anyway. I was just using an example of one of the many games that you can change the ini in to get a comfortable fov compared to GW2 where it just feels wrong and you’re stuck with it.

SHM.7628

This is true.

GW2 camera sucks. Why can’t they just make the walls transparent (and make is so that people on the other side is NOT seen) like some MMOs?

That would work very well as a solution. I take it you’re (understandably) concerned with PvP/WvW. I don’t expect to walk into a building or a mountain and just see through it.

The building obstruction comes mostly when you enter one in PVE when you are in or entering a building and are facing mobs. Also when you back up to a wall that wall should go transparent so the camera can stay fixed and you can see forward.

If I run straight up to a building with no enterance, there should be limits on what I can see through. They need to use some common sense on that. I laike you solution a lot though.