I miss profession-specific armor skins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Damocles.8716

Damocles.8716

On the whole, I am largely impressed with the armor skins in GW2. There are plenty of interesting looks across soldier/adventurer/scholar professions that keep me seeking those new skins. However, I miss the GW1 concept of a unique “flavor” for every profession. Now that the skins are largely homogenous, there are no real distinguishing aesthetics between prof’s of the same armor class, though I suppose their are certain skins that seem more predisposed towards a certain profession. I miss the sleek, ninja-esque look of assassins, or the roguish, Victorian theme of mesmers.

Does anyone else feel the same? And do you think in the future we may see gear that is cosmetically unique to a certain profession?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Sleek?! If I recall correctly it was more like ‘full of spikes sticking out from everywhere’. I don’t miss profession specific sets but I miss having more variety, especially medium without a long coat. I expect this to mostly work itself out with age. Each of the expansions added a number of sets.

It isn’t necessarily good to have each class pigeon holed into specific looks/themes. Options to allow people to pair them up that way should still exist.

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I would like just one set that is profession specific. Something that I could wear that is unique.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I would like just one set that is profession specific. Something that I could wear that is unique.

If they implement, inb4 “x profession’s/profession race combo armor is better than y’s. Therefore, I quit the game”

However, in lieu of complete sets, I think a profession exclusive helm and backpack would be appreciated and easily implemented.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

If there were an agree button I would press it so hard.

Professions feel far less unique in this game than they did in GW1. It’s not just the armor, but it’s the mechanics of the professions as well, since they all pretty much do the same thing but with slightly different skills and traits. Nothing truly sets them apart.

I’m guessing they didn’t want to get with profession specific armor because they would pretty much have to make 8 unique sets per dungeon as apposed to three, along with the many tiers of crafting. And also because there’s more of a progression-based system of armor rather than the standard max versus elite max armro versions of the first game.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I miss Assassin Armor.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

I agree. If there is Racial Armor then I think there should be Profession Armor as well.

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

we sort of have the starter armors. but i too would like to see full profession armor for each class. would be kinda neat.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I think profession armor and weapons would be a cool idea.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I personally think the Assassin skin with the daggers everywhere is one of the worst armor skins I’ve seen this side of WoW (where almost all armor skins are terrible). On a slightly related note, I miss class-specific runes.

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

I just want ANYTHING that looks good on an engineer. If you wear medium armor, you will mostly get bandit-style masks, pirate hats, trenchcoats, or pirate coats.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I just want ANYTHING that looks good on an engineer. If you wear medium armor, you will mostly get bandit-style masks, pirate hats, trenchcoats, or pirate coats.

I like my charr engineer

Coat, pants, shoes are Twilight arbor dyed iron and cornsilk. Arms and pauldrons CoF dyed cornsilk. Helm is Leather mask (150-200 leatherwork helm).

Attachments:

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Ojimaru.8970

Ojimaru.8970

Of course! We need uniforms for every single class. As if seeing everybody in COF gear wasn’t bad enough…

There are armour that are themed towards each profession, just as well that these armour pieces can be worn by other professions. You simply have to realise that these pieces aren’t always Level 80 Exotics.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I personally think the Assassin skin with the daggers everywhere is one of the worst armor skins I’ve seen this side of WoW (where almost all armor skins are terrible). On a slightly related note, I miss class-specific runes.

My assassin begs to differ. The only knives in his armor are probably those needle things and the pants

Attachments:

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: shedim.8504

shedim.8504

I think unique armor sets for each profession would be a great addition tothe game. Also legendary armor. One thing I liked about WoW were the T-sets and it’s a little bit unfortunate that there aren’t any specific sets for each profession innthe game, yet.

Yeah, we can still customize a lot and have quite a decent variety of armor to choose from, but still. What’s wrong with more variety?

Posted by: Aldracity.9463

Aldracity.9463

That’s…mostly because Medium armor in general is nothing but a bunch of trenchcoats. Light and Heavy armor in general tend to look better. Sure there are a couple different Medium sets, but those feel so profession-restrictive that it feels awkward to wear some of them.

Although yeah, you Engineers got the shortest end of the stick in this regard.

Posted by: exelion.2369

exelion.2369

I would like at least a few profession specific set but not necessarily for every single dungeon.

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I think it’s better without profession-exclusive armor skins. Not all thief players want to look like a bank robber, not all warrior players want to look like the hulk, and not all elementalist players want to look classy. Splitting into 3 classes of armor allows players to look a little different from what their profession’s themes would imply, while still keeping things sane. (No warriors in elementalist armor…)

For example, I play a warrior and I prefer the knight look, but with the guardian class around this time, the cool knight stuff would probably be guardian gear if it was profession-specific, leaving me to equip the barbarian or skimpy gear.

Inversely, the heavy skimpy armors all look like berserker (read: warrior) stuff without a single exception, and given the amount of guardians that are female humans… yeah I can already hear the guardian outrage if those sets were locked away. =D

Except maybe for engineers, I think every profession has armors themed around it, so if you want to look like an archetypical <insert profession>, you can. And the cool thing is that you don’t even have to run dungeons: you get all the themes you want with the other armors.

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

I like my charr engineer

Coat, pants, shoes are Twilight arbor dyed iron and cornsilk. Arms and pauldrons CoF dyed cornsilk. Helm is Leather mask (150-200 leatherwork helm).

Made the leather mask – and of course the skin is bugged. The straps go just past my ear and then just disappear…

Attachments:

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

we sort of have the starter armors. but i too would like to see full profession armor for each class. would be kinda neat.

Those don’t mean much cause you can transmute them

Posted by: Helequin.2608

Helequin.2608

While profession specific armours might be neat, I really think just more variety for everone would be best, especially in the medium line.

Also, I don’t get all the “Engineer doesn’t have good-looking armour.” What should an engineer look like to you? To me, an engineer who is likely working on gadgets, siege weapons, etcetera in potentially inclement weather the overcoat is actually quite fitting and somewhat realistic. I actually like the armor at character creation for an engineer.

But, I totally understand the medium armour lack if you don’t want an overcoat. I play a ranger and all I keep thinking are where are cloaks or you know medium ARMOUR (AC set and Vigil are the only two I can think of) instead of a medium COAT?

But then that’s the whole point. Different people like different looks for different classes. Let’s just add more variety across the board.

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

That’s…mostly because Medium armor in general is nothing but a bunch of trenchcoats. Light and Heavy armor in general tend to look better. Sure there are a couple different Medium sets, but those feel so profession-restrictive that it feels awkward to wear some of them.

Although yeah, you Engineers got the shortest end of the stick in this regard.

the level 40-45 crafted armor (bandits/outlaws, something like that) looks great for an engie imo, has a very lab coat feel to it….without the shoulder piece.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

^ this.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

Profession specific armors were more important in GW1 because everyone was human. It seems that racial armors have replaced the profession armors for now, but I would be happy if they were implemented in the future. I miss being able to look at someone’s character and know what profession they are. Profession specific gear adds replayability value to the game and encourages more “profession pride” and identity. Also encourages more characters being made, which is to ANet’s benefit. I know in GW I had at least 3 alts that I made simply so I could wear their profession armors!

Anyway, +1 to this.

Posted by: Ninth Requiem.3250

Ninth Requiem.3250

No thank you – I’d rather have as much choice as possible.
Cosmetically inclined, absolutely, but I would hate to be arbitrarily gated off from certain armor sets because it “belongs” to another class despite being the same weight and protection level.

As things stand, I’m already a little put out by lack of selection – why do so many medium armours need to be long coats? This suggestion would only exacerbate this problem.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Yeah big time miss profession Armor skins too..

I wish they’d just slowly add all the GW1 armor skins to the game, even in the cash shop i wouldn’t complain..

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

+1 to adding GW1 armor skins in the gem store.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

My Engineer is fabulous
I don’t want profession specific armour really- I think that would just lead to many people looking exactly alike (CoF dyed abyss right?)
I would just like more overall variety.
That way people can mix and match to their heart’s content and we will see more creative combinations out there.

Attachments:

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

It really bothers me that there is no profession specific armor. The closest we get is that thing we choose at the beginning of the game, but unless saved to transmute, most players trash it by level 5.

The Mesmer and Necro armors in GW were iconic. You knew what you were looking at and the classes themselves had real personality. Now if you see a character in light armor you need to click on them to see what profession they are.

Don’t go clicking through the GW wiki armor galleries. Its not the kinda of nostalgia you are looking for. It will just make you sad.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand