I need advice on Legendary and Precursors

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Omar Aschi Popp.7496

Omar Aschi Popp.7496

So I just started looking at the stuff involved in getting these things…
As someone who never has or will buy absolutely anything from Trading Post, my options for getting such things is either to craft, or Mystic Forge roulette.

So, which road would make more sense for me, a casual player? Again, as far as materials go I play this game exclusively on drops/chests/etc.

Thanks for your time.

List of people whose posts speak on my behalf:
Lunar Sunset.8742
Rogue.7856

Posted by: proviticus.4183

proviticus.4183

as a casual player who refuses to use the TP, your best bet is to forget about the precursor altogether. Seriously, I’m not being snarky. Forget about it. If you’re one of the lucky ones it will drop in your lap and you can consider a legendary again. If you’re not lucky (much much much much more likely) you’re just setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Also, precursor is just one thing. I dread to think how you’ll farm 250 of each T6, misc lodestones or even the ores without the TP.

Posted by: Fasalina.6571

Fasalina.6571

Here’s the best advice I can come up with thanks to several friends input.
Going for a Legendary these days is stressfull, and bears the risk of ruining your view and liking of the game. You’re probably better off without em.
If you really, really, really, really, want one, wait for the precursor to drop (or stack up money and buy it directly, which in your case is out of the picture considering you don’t want to use the TP).
The Mistic Forge is not your friend.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

You can’t craft a precursor. They were talk about precursor crafting, but they postpone that a couple times already so it could be in the game in 1 weeks like it could be there in 2 years.

You got 3 options.
1) Wait for your precursor to drop. Good luck with that. Even if you drop a precursor (which is rare), the chance that you got the precursor that you want is even smaller. Usually ppl would sell that precursor and then buy the one they need on the TP, but for whatever reason you don’t want to buy anything on the TP.
2) Mystic Toilet. You can put all the rare you get in the mystic toilet if you want. Good luck to get your precursor. Most ppl, buy hundred of rare off the TP to get their precursor that way. If you don’t buy anything on the TP, then you’ll have a very limited amount of rare/exotic to put in the mystic toilet.
3) Just buy the precursor on the TP. That’s what most ppl do.

I would never suggest to buy a Legendary on the TP. In my opinions it was a mistake from Anet to allow that. Still, you pretty much gonna need to buy stuff off the TP if you want to complete your legendary. You gonna sell stuff that you don’t use and buy stuff that you need from ppl that don’t need them. If you don’t want to us the TP at all. Your journey will take a lot more time. But your choice.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I think the tl;dr of this thread is this:

Don’t bother going for a legendary unless the precursor just happens to fall in your lap one day.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

By the time you finish your legendary this game would have come out with newer legendaries and a precursor crafting system.

So I suggest you focus on the other components of the legendary that are easily attainable, like karma, map completion and skill points. you can also save your T6 mats.

I do not suggest you go for the mystic forge, as that route is very expensive. And if you are very poor to begin with, and you gamble everything away, you will end up rage quitting.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

No TP for precursor, T6 mats, or lodestones? You have fun with that. I’ll check in with you 5 or so years from now to see how that’s coming.

I’ve tried the no TP precursor thing. I’m batting 0 and 500 at the MF I’m pretty sure. As far as weapons I’ve thrown in. Getting one in a drop is laughably unlikely.

To get a precursor, your most reliable option really is saving up and buying it from TP. I’m at 400g saved up for Dusk. It’s slow going but at the very least there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it creeps away slowly (prices going up).

They really need to add other ways to get these precursors.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

A precursor is 500+ gold (some are cheaper) and the materials for building the legendary from that precursor is probably around 1000 gold. As with precursor, some mats are a little cheaper, some are a bit more expensive. All in all, you’re looking at 1500-2000g to splurge on that legendary.

Does that feel achievable? If yes, go nuts and farm for it. If not… Just gather the materials while playing for fun. You’ll get most of it sooner or later. Maybe you even get lucky with a precursor drop… But dont count it in.

In my own experience, I only decided to make Bifrost after first Dawn dropped from the mystic toilet and then a week later Dusk dropped (only 2 precursors I have gotten as MF drops in 2 years time and they where 1 week apart, lol). That was barely even half the funding I needed to make Bifrost :S

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

The only problem I see you havering is the precursor. Seeing as how often they drop/getting the one you want to drop, everything else is fairly simple to get if you play every aspect of the game. I mean you can get the T6 from don’t your dailies/mothlies. The loadstones you can get from doing PvP tracks from the champ bags, and the tracks them selfs maybe? You’ll have to use the MF to make them.

I too am taking the long road with my legendary. I’m planning on getting the mats before I buy the precursor I want if I don’t get lucky first.

I started about a two weeks ago, I’m sitting on duble figures of most T6 mats dew to making mistic clovers. I’ve gotten 7 out of the 30 Ecto I’ve put in so far. So I would recommend going for the mistic clovers first to speed up your acquisition of T6 mats.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Does that feel achievable? If yes, go nuts and farm for it. If not… Just gather the materials while playing for fun. You’ll get most of it sooner or later. Maybe you even get lucky with a precursor drop… But dont count it in.

I used to think like this, until after almost two years I looked at my Onyx Lodestones and saw I had 2….of 100 needed. And I play very regularly. Ended up just purchasing them in little batches every week. There’s no way to farm for those without wanting to kill yourself.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

Honestly, just give up. You can’t reliably farm t6 mats or lodestones from mobs, though with events like Boss Blitz you can farm the crap out of that and exchange tokens for heavy crafting bags. But for the most part, events like this are a rarity.

To pull something from the Mystic Forge, unless you are extremely lucky, you won’t ever have enough to put into it to have a decent chance to get one back.

I pulled Dusk out of the forge maybe a month ago, and I started with 1,000 rare greatswords. You can’t store up 1,000 items in your inventory unless somehow you distribute it across multiple characters and max bank slots or something.

I crafted mine, and while you can farm and salvage the mats needed, I can’t imagine trying to gather the 24k mithril ore, 12k elder wood logs, and 15k t5 mats. Much easier and cheaper when you consider the lost opportunity cost that you could be doing something more profitable than running around mining mithril nodes for 8 hours a day.

Posted by: Aleglast.6027

Aleglast.6027

As someone who never has or will buy absolutely anything from Trading Post, my options for getting such things is either to craft, or Mystic Forge roulette.

So, which road would make more sense for me, a casual player? Again, as far as materials go I play this game exclusively on drops/chests/etc.

Thanks for your time.

Tp, everything on the tp is how i am doing it, only need 30% map comp for my legendary now. Trying to get the precursor from the mystic toilet is completely pointless dont bother.

GUARDIANS OF THE LIGHT We are DragonBrand
Join us and RISE to the challenge!

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

Thanks for your time.

Which legendary are you going for?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Even though you claim you’ll never buy anything from the trading post, start saving gold anyway.

Do world events every day, and throw the rares in the forge. Re-forge any exotics you get from that. If you do happen to get a precursor but not for a weapon you want/could use, I’d suggest selling it on the trading post and then buying the one you want. If you still choose to not use the trading post ever, then whichever precursor you got is what you’ll be making.

Run CoE and Temple of Dwayna for charged lodestones, TA and Melandru for onyx lodestones, dredge areas/SE for destroyer lodestones, and CoF for molten lodestones. But keep in mind that dungeon chest rewards are now only once per day; you’ll have to run these for many, many days. You can also use the forge to promote cores to lodestones.

Start opening heavy heavy loot bag you get, hoping for t6. Also, farm champions and hope for t6. Basically, your GW2 life for the next year+ will be farming.

If you get stuck with Juggernaut, then make a character, get it to about level 20-25, and park it at a JP chest. Check it every day for a silver doubloon. There are also forge recipes with equally frustrating results.

Posted by: Omar Aschi Popp.7496

Omar Aschi Popp.7496

To answer a little of everything, first off I didn’t look into which one I want, more thinking on whether I could or not. T6 mats, for some reason without even noticing, I already have a stack of ancient bone, and 190 ancient wood…

Anyway I won’t be thinking of going down this road until like you guys said I get a precursor drop. That will be my sign to start building. Thanks everyone for input.

List of people whose posts speak on my behalf:
Lunar Sunset.8742
Rogue.7856