I personally do not want new content

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Just had an outrageously frustrating evening in GW2, because of bugs. Tryin to get group into fractals. Someone DCs so we start all over. And again. Finally get thru one to boss fight, 2 DC, but we 3-man it. Boss at 5% and we’re all booted to Lions Arch.

This on top of playing a ranger so therefore unable to shoot an ice wall standing right next to it, unresponsive pet won’t attack elementals or walls, yet still obstructs my supposedly piercing shots…

Just basic functionality — if they ever get this game ready for launch it might be a good game. But it’s still not ready.

Posted by: Ruby Red.4019

Ruby Red.4019

I changed the title to reflect that it is a personal opinion.

“We” is not “Everyone” or “No-one”… When I read -we- in a forum context I assume it means some people the thread itself would determine the extent of the -we- I would expect posts saying – yes I agree – and other posts saying – hey you don’t speak for me -

Certainly the OP is not alone in wanting bugs fixed before new content the word first is there too and there have been other threads about this. I personally agree and as a subscription free game I’d like to see the core game fixed first and foremost and new content limited most of the work in this area going into paid expansions. If I was paying a subscription I would have different expectations.

Posted by: Vangy.7403

Vangy.7403

GM now you need to change the title again to Reflect the Reality to "Me and MANY others DONT Want NEW CONTENT!!!! "

Posted by: ocfallwind.4821

ocfallwind.4821

If all these forum posts can weigh over monetizing, ANet will listen to us. Sadly it doesn’t seem to be the case. Unless this buggy status is brought to public attention and actually impacts the game’s sales.

If anyone with connection to or influence on renowned gaming sites, and thinks it’s a concern that deserves to get noticed, please try to help get more awareness. It either makes people think again before buying the game, or makes ANet understand the importance of fixing bugs. Or they just think it’s totally OK to pile the bugs up and people will eventually get used to it.

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

The bugs aren’t that bad, I’ve seen far worse in my years of gaming. Besides, they have separate teams anyway.

I want new content.

Posted by: Juriasti.8297

Juriasti.8297

I understand that there are probably separate teams that work on various different things in GW2. The problem is, it was said that there are only 2 people working on all of the classes. TWO!

The content designers can keep making content, but please hire more people to be completely dedicated to bug fixes / class fixes. Two is not enough.

There are two developers working on class balance, but they are not working on the bug fixes themselves. The bug fixes are most likely done by the programmers and the software developers.

I am stunned there aren’t dedicated developers for every profession.

That’s… that’s just… dumb.

Professions are the core of the game, they have to have a dedicated focus or you’re going to be doing nothing but two people putting out fires here and there and breaking everything when trying to fix one thing. There’s no cohesiveness, no actual ‘design’ possible in that situation.

Why’s this dumb? Larger teams means less efficiency and more communication required. From what I understand, there are two developers in charge of class balancing and design. In this case, it’s important for people in this team to really have a good idea of all 8 classes, instead of just one person being in charge of one class.

Also, like mentioned before, these two are mostly in charge of design/balancing of the classes. But the actual program bug fixes fall on the shoulders of programmers/software devs.

A quote from Jon.

…..There are 500 skills in this game, 480 traits, and 2 designers working on this. Even then often we are bottle necked by other issues.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/General-Patch-Discussion-merged/page/3

There really should be a dedicated person for each profession. They’re obviously overwhelmed. I personally want whoever is working on the profession actually play that profession, not just “have an idea”. I’m having a hard time accepting that 2 people balancing all 8 professions, 500+ skills and 480 traits is cutting it. Seems like it’s overwhelming for those 2 people in addition to slowing down the progress for all professions because those 2 people have to spread themselves so thin. Also, from what Jon said, I highly doubt that class balance is their only job if they’re getting tied up by other issues.

A quote from Jonathan Sharp:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/The-teams-that-work-on-PvP-WvW-Balance/first#post818357

On topic — I’ve enjoyed the new content and I look forward to more.

Posted by: masztipapa.7519

masztipapa.7519

The bugs aren’t that bad, I’ve seen far worse in my years of gaming. Besides, they have separate teams anyway.

I want new content.

This is sad. Anyway i wouldnt call 2 people a team, there r serious priority issues here. I dont know how many people work on new content, but i doubt that theres only 2 with this speed. A whole island and dungeon, and they stated that in january and february there will be updates big as expansions, so the content team must be big.

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

I am also with the ‘fix the bugs first’ camp. Most important – fix the loot bug, I have no interest in any content, including existing, until that is fixed.

Posted by: Gnatoay.7581

Gnatoay.7581

well, yes i love new content but, hateful to say, every-time u guys make something, u break tons of other things. and its demoralizing, for supporters.

Day in, Day out; Grinding

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Asking developer resources to work on bug fixes is like asking a plumber to fix your electricity.

You people are plain silly.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Icecat.4528

Icecat.4528

Yes to bug fixes please.

Yes to new content please, but make it fully baked. No more special events which are unplayable or broken (like all the NPCs in phase 1 of Lost Shores), no more partically developed boring islands with no worthwhile reason to visit them.

GW2 mods can fuck it up their cock sucking asses – Sieg heil you nazi fuckers

Posted by: Valle.3406

Valle.3406

/Signed

The game has so many bugs… fix them and the game will be just fine. When these are fixed you can start adding new content.

So far the patch notes have been from small to medium size, however the bug-lists created afterwards has been HUUUUGE.

Posted by: Deathful Dante.1239

Deathful Dante.1239

Lol I was gonna start a thread just like this.
I don’t think you can build new levels on top of broken ones!

What happened to GW1 hack-proof and bug-proof system?
I played GW1 for three years and I cannot remember of any bots, nor bugs. And never submitted a single report else than reporting leechers on JQ and FA.

In GW2 it is really a routine for me reporting bugs and facing really weird situations.
I love this game and I think we speak for the majority when we say “please focus on fixing what we already have before focusing on adding new (broken) content”

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I want more and new content, I don’t want more grind for useless items.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Case in point: I reported 3 stuck events 2 days ago, guess what has been fixed in the new build (amongst many other things)? Yep, the 3 events I reported

Were the events you reported listed in the patch notes, or just currently working ingame?

Updates cause all the events to reset, so things are usually working for a while after each patch. There have been a lot of Orr events like this since release, even some breaking after being fixed due to multiple bugs causing the problem, while only some of them were actually fixed. The event chain that unlocks the Arah dungeon has been rather notorious for this. If you didn’t get it done in the day or so after an udpate, you had to wait for the next patch to get inside.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

In my opinion it’s my opinion that I myself don’t personally want new content from any team of content-creating folks who may or may not be connected directly or indirectly with some online game or other that might (or might not!) be the focus of this alleged forum unless (according to my personal preference) the new content is Cantha and there’s no further gear treadmill escalation and no increased grindage and no other un-fun (in my own personal opinion presented here for personal reasons to present my opinion personally) stuff like greater diminishing returns until and unless current buggage is unbuggified, or, in the eventuality of the new content not being Cantha, then still with the personally personal appeal of no further gear treadmill escalation and increased grindage and greater diminishing returns, ever. IPB YMMV IMNSHO.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Vangy.7403

Vangy.7403

instead of new content and besides the bug fixes they need to make lower and mid areas replayability… as it is now… every low/mid area is like empty almost all the times of day.,.. dynamic events dont work… i had the same issue today early morning even at ORR…. thats really bad…. we need more motivation to play.. rewards vise or whatever…to tell us make more alts… and try all the possibly fluff things is not the answer for end gaming… motivate people play on old areas everyday to spread the population and leave the new content aside.. we dont need more new areas and more spread out population.. maybe also they should consider the first server merges… new amount of content is not enough for luring new players and most certainly u cannot hold old ones as well…. besides all the “new content” is content that was on the fridge and was made to release it little by little..as new free content and/or because wasnt rdy with the launch…

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

Quote:

Martin Kerstein: Head of Global Community

“I changed the title to reflect that it is a personal opinion”

Endquote.

Thats a broad line you moderators have Martin, your asusmption that your change was warranted, it was not, that was your opinion on the OP’s opinion.

As an FYI for you Martin and whatever you thought you were doing in your own mind, every post in these forums is a personal opinion. You were totally in the wrong for singling this person out because you could, not because you should have.

You are a fine example of spite Martin, this isnt a call out, you were wrong, plain and simple and you need to make a retraction and apologize to the OP, regardless of what you think Martin. You need to know your role as a moderator and not the spiteful employee, or you will be spending the next ten years adding “personal opinion” to every post title on this gaming site.

In my 3 decades as an NCO and a professional i have never seen anyone like you blatantly do something like this and then try to substantiate it. I have already sent a copy to your corporate before you “delete this because you can”.

You moderators need to know your roles and re-read your own TOS. Without negative feedback a business becomes complacent, many businesses leave negative feedback for learning purpose, they do not modify it to suit there own needs or attack an individual as you did.

My personal opinion, you screwed up Martin and now you need to fix it. I have already sent a copy to your corporate before you “delete this because you can”.

+1

However, don’t hold your breath for a response. After 17 days, I still haven’t gotten any reply from the “OverMods”. But even a no-response is a response. It tells me all I need to know.

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

FrizzFreston.5290

I dont know why people are ten times more entitled here than in other games, it’s sickening to see how many people say “you NEED to do this or else!”. People aren’t here for playing the game, they’re here to criticize on everything any official says.

All this pointing fingers isn’t gonna help the actual players who want to communicate with the game makers. You forum groupies should focus more on actually commenting on game stuff rather than on how is responded to certain things. How big of a deal is it a title got changed compared to how big of a deal are bug fixes?

I would prefer to being on topic. I wish he simply changed the title and said nothing. Because honestly I don’t care what the title says. (ALthough it sounds alot less negative when you simply talk about your own opinion instead of trying to troll to get a reaction by representing a group, while you’re not. I can understand why he changed it really.

Posted by: multani.1452

multani.1452

Quote:

Endquote.

Thats a broad line you moderators have Martin, your asusmption that your change was warranted, it was not, that was your opinion on the OP’s opinion.

As an FYI for you Martin and whatever you thought you were doing in your own mind, every post in these forums is a personal opinion. You were totally in the wrong for singling this person out because you could, not because you should have.

You are a fine example of spite Martin, this isnt a call out, you were wrong, plain and simple and you need to make a retraction and apologize to the OP, regardless of what you think Martin. You need to know your role as a moderator and not the spiteful employee, or you will be spending the next ten years adding “personal opinion” to every post title on this gaming site.

In my 3 decades as an NCO and a professional i have never seen anyone like you blatantly do something like this and then try to substantiate it. I have already sent a copy to your corporate before you “delete this because you can”.

You moderators need to know your roles and re-read your own TOS. Without negative feedback a business becomes complacent, many businesses leave negative feedback for learning purpose, they do not modify it to suit there own needs or attack an individual as you did.

My personal opinion, you screwed up Martin and now you need to fix it. I have already sent a copy to your corporate before you “delete this because you can”.

Yep, that gets a +1 from me.

“I got ten voices in my head and NONE of them like you.”
~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

Quote:

Endquote.

+1.

You just abused the OP because you could.
And it’s not his personal opinion, because I (and others like me) have the same feeling towards the game.

Ballistic.4531

… by representing a group, while you’re not…

Technically he is. As you can see from the responses there are others who share his opinion, so technically he is.

FrizzFreston.5290

As such then people don’t have personal opinions. :p

I agree that it wasn’t that bad at all, but there’s no way to add so much drama to a mod edit.

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

I agree with the OP totally. I like anyone else love new content. But Im not a fan of it being bug riddled then left to rot while they work of the next set. You make one thing, make sure it works, then move onto the next.

And btw Mr All Powerful Moderators when will you be going round every single forum thread and adding the same “I personally” before them? or was the fact that this guy said somethign ya didnt really like you decided to try and make him look like a dick? Since each post is only every that one posters opinon (even if others agree) we kinda know its them personally.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Ballistic.4531

As such then people don’t have personal opinions. :p

Oh wait!? Did you just call-out a certain you-know-who from this thread? OMG!
That’s a no-no! I see an infraction coming. :p

Posted by: Drakkonis.2768

Drakkonis.2768

I welcome new content! Without new content I’d have the same game all over again, I’d get bored and leave the game. Then I’d have to go through the arduous task of finding a different game to fill my spare time with. Bugs will be fixed, give it time. I mean, if A-Net were fixing bugs the whole time, people would be like “I want new stuff! This boring!”

Everyone’s an armchair critic these days, especially on game forums. If you don’t like the game, you don’t have to play it. If you think you can do better, you’re free to start your own programming firm and create an entirely new game and treat your gamers the way you think they deserve!

Besides, the title DOES reflect OP’s personal opinion. It’s not like a bunch of you gathered and, after a thorough discussion, decided to open a forum topic. And, yeah, sometimes I’m an ArenaNet apologist, ‘cos I feel for them and my life doesn’t revolve around a video game. The minute I stop having fun with this game, I’ll stop playing it.

Oh, and they are so going to close this topic, what with all the negativity and stuff.

Chaos is the only true answer.

Posted by: Johnson.3874

Johnson.3874

OP is speaking on any players behalf, and thank you for that.

Who the hell want to play a game full of bugs? Seriously ? Some time ago, I was logging in at least once a day. Now, it’s just twice a week. I log in, check the guild panel, say hi to the 2 people left who didn’t stopped playing already. Then I try to do something, and most of the time, it fails.
WvW ? Culling issue still there.
Dungeons ? Opening of the doors of Arah was bugged last time I checked (big surprise !)

You know what, I’m gonna stop right here. Don’t want to complain. The only cash you saw from me was when I bought the game, and this’ll be the last.

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

I’m not willing to let this die.

Aside from the pretty snide Mod actions (which are neither here nor there), it is clear from this thread and others that the majority of the player base is sick and tired of ANet half arsing things.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I don’t have a problem with new content as such, I just wish they would develop and build on the current content more.

I appreciate the bug fixes in the last patch much more than constant new stuff.

There is a whole world with huge potential that could be built on and added to, never mind content that players have been asking for since the game launched, before they just randomly add new stuff.
But that is just my opinion.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

We want the content that is already here fixed and working as intended.

I know that the need for Gem Store sales and to try and to convince more people into spending $60 for a broken game is important too, but unless you want to suffer huge levels of bad publicity, you need to just throw your arms up, admit you kittened up and get to fixing everything FIRST.

Agree. I’ve been playing casually for several months. My character just recently reached level 60. I have 22% of the world explored. I’ve no interest in racing to level 80, consuming every map as quickly as I can and exhausting my $60 spent with nothing else to do. I’m very much enjoying time well spent in each map before exploring the next.

On this topic, the low and medium level maps of the game are dying. There are no players. In a game that was designed around having lots of people co-operating, this is tragic. The original GW has much more play value with being able to form your own party with heroes. In GW2, if you’re in a map with no one else around, you’re stuck with only the easiest of quests and events.

Posted by: Tenshi.3598

Tenshi.3598

I’ll say, prioritize bugs and balance - be it among maps, items, classes, weapons, traits… pretty much everything. Among new content, holiday events should have priority. Next, small but fun updates (say, minigames, pvp modes, costumes, etcetera). Only after that, major updates.

At times it feels like updates are just made to distract customers from the existing problems. Indeed, at times it feels like the game is in the hands of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. Of which the Guide says:

It is very easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of [their products] by the sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words – and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation’s Galaxy-wide success is founded – their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws.

I very much hope, that this will remain merely a joke.

This Glade has thorns…and here they are!

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

First fix the code, then build on that code. Don’t build on bugged code.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: Xriah.5743

Xriah.5743

If ANet could add new content and fix bugs at the same time, I’d be all for it.

However, consider how long this patch took to came out, what this patch DIDN’T address, and what this patch broke. This was just a bugfix patch. Can you imagine how much stuff would have broken if there was new content thrown into the mix?

It’s basic stuff. You need to make the foundation stable before you decide to add a swimming pool to the roof.

Posted by: Deathful Dante.1239

Deathful Dante.1239

If ANet could add new content and fix bugs at the same time, I’d be all for it.

However, consider how long this patch took to came out, what this patch DIDN’T address, and what this patch broke. This was just a bugfix patch. Can you imagine how much stuff would have broken if there was new content thrown into the mix?

It’s basic stuff. You need to make the foundation stable before you decide to add a swimming pool to the roof.

THIS!

The game is lots of fun still. But I can’t see much sense in adding new stuff while we are still facing issues/bugs with the core game every few minutes!

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

I’m not willing to let this die.

Aside from the pretty snide Mod actions (which are neither here nor there), it is clear from this thread and others that the majority of the player base is sick and tired of ANet half arsing things.

I’m sorry to inform you that a handful of annoyed forum users and trolls are not the majority, not even close.

Also to all of you complaining about how long it takes some bugs to be fixed, please go develop a highly complex game that is universally loved and s totally bug free, then criticize every game maker because you will be the only one.

And before you call me a fan-boy disagree greatly with some recent design choices but know that if they continue and I don;t learn to like them I can find another game, but for now I am still enjoying playing it.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

So if they focused 100% on squashing bugs, what would all the other people involved in content creation do? Animators, sound engineers, designers, artists etc. do not fix bugs. Their purpose is content creation.

Programmers are the only ones who fix code issues, which are the primary reason why bugs exist. They will always be there, as no code, ever, is 100% bug free. When you have a large team of coders, it is safe to assume some will focus on creating new code, while others will focus on debugging. Having all your programmers fixing code can lead to other issues. Having too many people put their hands on a single project serves to complicate things, and you get people doing the same work multiple times and potentially eliminating possible fixes.

You have to remember, this game is insanely young, bugs will be present throughout it’s entire lifespan. They come, they go, and more show up again. It isn’t new. By focusing on just one aspect, you leave a large portion of a dev team without a job. They want to keep all their artists etc. employed and happy. If they idle, they get bored, and they leave their company. Content has to be created to not only keep this game going, but to keep the talent they have. Every MMO I’ve played always has bugs, especially so soon after release.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

It’s not that we don’t want new content. New content is great and all. It’s just that at this point i feel that focus should be shifted towards fixing existing content. Some classes have huge bug lists and some bugs r known since BWE1, i don’t see how this is acceptable. GW2 have lots of content already, but whole gaming experience is tainted by numerous bugs in skills and traits, in events, in dungeons. It got old and it got annoying quiet some time ago. And the fact that each new patch introduces new portion of bugs into the game makes it somewhat even more frustrating. This should be embarrassing for the developers, i don’t understand why it’s not. So i feel like saying: give us new content, or don’t, but please, fix the old one.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

My perception is that GW2 is no more buggy than Rift was in its first three months. And yet people were crowing about how Rift was so polished except for a few bugs here and there.

I wonder if it’s a recent shift in perception.

I haven’t been around the MMORPG world for very long, so all I have to go on is what people have said about their past experience. What I got from people talking about Rift was that previous launches included truly game-breaking bugs that made it so huge portions of the player base couldn’t even log in and that the servers were down for hours at a time. People were praising Rift because it was by and large stable, and the only bugs were class skills here and there, dungeon elements and quest issues. You know, ones you can skirt around and keep playing the game.

Just my perception. I haven’t hit 80 yet, so I haven’t been frustrated by the Arah bug, and I’m not a dungeon runner. I do, however, have a Mesmer main who has been impacted by the recent LoS change and Greatsword bug.

Still, I wouldn’t call the game “broken”.

Again, just my perception.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

My perception is that GW2 is no more buggy than Rift was in its first three months. And yet people were crowing about how Rift was so polished except for a few bugs here and there.

I wonder if it’s a recent shift in perception.

I haven’t been around the MMORPG world for very long, so all I have to go on is what people have said about their past experience. What I got from people talking about Rift was that previous launches included truly game-breaking bugs that made it so huge portions of the player base couldn’t even log in and that the servers were down for hours at a time. People were praising Rift because it was by and large stable, and the only bugs were class skills here and there, dungeon elements and quest issues. You know, ones you can skirt around and keep playing the game.

Just my perception. I haven’t hit 80 yet, so I haven’t been frustrated by the Arah bug, and I’m not a dungeon runner. I do, however, have a Mesmer main who has been impacted by the recent LoS change and Greatsword bug.

Still, I wouldn’t call the game “broken”.

Again, just my perception.

For some people, it’s their first MMO, so they haven’t seen what one at release normally is like. They are always riddled with class imbalances, bugs etc.

Infact, many game releases at launch are always filled with bugs, as alot of things are insanely difficult to test for without a live environment. Makes me think many here haven’t been buying games right at release. Especially MMO’s.

Here’s the thing with software. Never, in the history of software, has anything been 100% bug free. There will always be bugs, and with any code added, be it class balances, bug fixes, new content, server updates or anything of the like, there will always be new bugs. It happens, no code is ever perfect.

Guildwars has actually been a more stable release than many other games of this genre in its first 3 months. This game is most definitely in it’s infancy, and there will be thousands of bugs to be introduced in the future. It’s not as easy as alot of people seem to think to fix issues with bugs, alot of the time the code involved is pretty complicated and is not just flipping a 1 to a 0 in some database.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

We know software can never be bug free, but I think we can reasonably expect a bug fix patch to not break several things it was intended to fix or break multiple unrelated things.

As stated, there are bugs that have existed since BETA that have not been fixed yet. Yet they still insist on heaping on more and more buggy content and ignoring bugs that make certain parts of the game LITERATELY IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPLETE.

Posted by: BobJoeXXI.2493

BobJoeXXI.2493

I changed the title to reflect that it is a personal opinion.

Personal as it may be, but shared by many.

Apicharr Science [ASci] – Maguuma
80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Warrior, 80 Mesmer, 80 Engineer.