I predict nobody will ever use guesting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Its such a nothing mechanic. Everything you need to group for (dungeons/fractals) can be done easily cross server anyway.

I really think its massive fail to put so much time into producing this feature. Maybe next time it would be better to actually work on PvP and WvW more than for 5 minutes every day. You know…that huge section of the game which hasnt been updated for 5 months and the one which is dying as a result?

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I plan on using them.. If you are in an area with de and no one is around then why not check out another server.. especially for the orr temples!

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

Its such a nothing mechanic. Everything you need to group for (dungeons/fractals) can be done easily cross server anyway.

I really think its massive fail to put so much time into producing this feature. Maybe next time it would be better to actually work on PvP and WvW more than for 5 minutes every day. You know…that huge section of the game which hasnt been updated for 5 months and the one which is dying as a result?

You realize it’s mainly for friends to play together right? Not for dungeons, fractals or any closed off thing like those.

I plan on using them.. If you are in an area with de and no one is around then why not check out another server.. especially for the orr temples!

Exactly this! My server never has the Balth temple open so it will be easier to get obsidian shards by guesting.

Posted by: Rummie.9720

Rummie.9720

Well, your prediction is wrong because I will definitely use guesting to play with friends on other servers.

And why wouldn’t they “waste” time when it’s a mechanic that helps people get more integrated into the game by having as many options as possible to play with other people?

Lordrosicky.5813

Thats true. It will probably be frequently used by people hoping to dodge the Orr events and still get their shards for their legandaries. I forgot about that.

I shall rephrase:

Nobody will use guesting except to dodge actually playing the game and getting the reward nonetheless.

Another complete fail as this will be the most common use of the this really pointless system.

jazzllanna.1278

Well I did not mean to dodge them.. I meant to do them.. wow you are a negative person

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Guesting is going to be great.

All those players who have made friends on other worlds, can now play together in the open world. Doing DE’s and leveling together without having to change worlds every week. As well, those who have multiple friends on a bunch of different worlds, can all guest together on one world without leaving their home world behind. So you can all play together on one world without having to transfer.

And think about this. If your world is feeling dead or you aren’t finding anyone to play with, you can guest about to different worlds to see how they are. This allows you to preview worlds before transferring. Saving you money and time instead of blindly transferring to a world without any knowledge of what will be there.

Sorry but guesting is going to be awesome to say the least.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Uberlicious.3956

Uberlicious.3956

i’ll be using it , i would rather level up in zones that actually have players

Posted by: Trithne.7391

Trithne.7391

All those players who have made friends on other worlds, can now play together in the open world.

Except that my regular internet gaming group is spread across the world, not neatly compartmentalised into a single continent. Guesting is useless because of the region nonsense. There’s no oceans on the internet, don’t add them in.

SpyderArachnid.5619

All those players who have made friends on other worlds, can now play together in the open world.

Except that my regular internet gaming group is spread across the world, not neatly compartmentalised into a single continent. Guesting is useless because of the region nonsense. There’s no oceans on the internet, don’t add them in.

How is it useless because of one thing? Sure you can’t play with EU/US players if you are a US/EU player, but you can still play with those friends you have made from your region. And if you are a US player and pretty much all your friends are EU, then just transfer to EU and then use guesting to play with them. If it is a direct even split, then choose which side you want to play with more.

In the end, would you rather not play with them at all, or rather play with some of them? Without guesting, you wouldn’t even be able to play with them all. With guesting, at least you can play with some of them.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

kinda…everyone who wants to play together should be/are in the same world…why spread lies, i laugh with the ‘’i have friends in every single world’’

if your problem was no people then you shouldve done what every other person exploited…free transfers.

but whatever not like i paid for this (60 bucks for the key is not the same) or will bother me.

have fun

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: ndrangles.5183

ndrangles.5183

pls make a bet on your prediction so i can make some money?

i’m gonna use guesting to find Final Rest farmers at Zho’Qafa. idk anyone doing it on my server. as a necro main, it is highly relevant to my interests.

Majyyks [Os] – NSP

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

I will use guesting extensively so your prediction is wrong.

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

I plan to use guesting to hang out on Tarnished Coast. I enjoy RP, but in moderation

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

The biggest reason to use guesting outside of playing with friends as I see it. Will be to tackle the larger chain events such as the temple of balthazar and uncontesting dungeons. No overflow zone for Fractals all guest to the same server.

I just hope they put in measures to stop people from hopping servers to get quick stuff from say dragons.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I’ll use questing because I have some friends that I only know through a forum that all play on different servers with their guilds.

JemL.3501

Lol guesting for farm dragons, and orr events, seems like exploit to me, yep people will use guesting but 99% for not the real purpose.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

it was just an excuse people could use to exploit gathering
it wont be used for its intended purpose – you are correct there.

SpyderArachnid.5619

kinda…everyone who wants to play together should be/are in the same world…why spread lies, i laugh with the ‘’i have friends in every single world’’

if your problem was no people then you shouldve done what every other person exploited…free transfers.

but whatever not like i paid for this (60 bucks for the key is not the same) or will bother me.

have fun

I have friends on different worlds. But I must be lying right?

Not everyone can get into Tarnished Coast, as it is almost always full. So my friends play on other worlds. Plus I have met friends in Overflow who enjoy their world cause of their guilds and WvWvW. They aren’t going to leave their world and everything they have there just to try to get on my world.

We have guesting just for that reason. Now we can play together without having to leave our guilds behind and without ditching any friends we have made on our own worlds. We don’t have to wait a week to decide what world to transfer to so we can play together. Now we can just guest together to all play together.

jazzllanna.1278

Well you can only guest on 2 servers every 24 hours so not sure how you could really exploit dragons and events with that..

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I think OP is probably correct. For the most part anyway. A small % of peeps will use it, but I would venture that most of us either brought friends with us or made them on the server we’re playing on.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

JemL.3501

Well you can only guest on 2 servers every 24 hours so not sure how you could really exploit dragons and events with that..

More than enough, if you have the connections…is NP.

Not everyone can get into Tarnished Coast, as it is almost always full. So my friends play on other worlds. Plus I have met friends in Overflow who enjoy their world cause of their guilds and WvWvW. They aren’t going to leave their world and everything they have there just to try to get on my world.

We have guesting just for that reason. Now we can play together without having to leave our guilds behind and without ditching any friends we have made on our own worlds. We don’t have to wait a week to decide what world to transfer to so we can play together. Now we can just guest together to all play together.

Then i have friends worldwide too, all those who added me from dungeon runs, or i ever said or they to me ’’hi’’ in overflows, and especially my 500 men alliance (thought 95% already left the game) and the rest has guild for use as extra bank slots.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I have to agree on this one.

The real solution to dead zones is a shared map (like overflow) for all zones.
Guesting is a temporary solution.

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

I don’t much care either way. I’m not sure why most people wouldn’t have gotten on a server already with their other friends, if they’re really such good friends, and maybe we should be a little worried that this will actually deplete population at times on our home server – making it NECESSARY to guest somewhere else for certain events – but heh, whatever floats your boat. Now can we get serious and see AN put some serious time into wvw content?

(edited by Ghanto.9784)

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

Someone will post on the forums that there server has Balthies open. Piles o’ people will flock to guest on that server for fifteen minutes or so to get their shards. Then they go back to their real server, dump tons o stuffs in the mystic forge, not get what they wanted, come back to the forums to rant about how much ANet sucks. While they’re shouting at their computer, they’ll get overheard by their significant other who will ask what they’re doing. Being in a bad mood from getting ripped off by the RNG, they’ll snap a mean reply back at said s.o. Said s.o. will get ticked off and go stomping out the door. While out, they’ll decide to go to the club to relax, and at that club they’ll meet a rich doctor and it’ll be love at first sight. They’ll then go home with their shiny new doctor and juvenile feline all night long. The next day, they’ll head home to get their stuff, and tell the poor idiot who is still smarting for wasting all that gold on the mystic forge that it’s over. The poor idiot in deep despair will then decide to hell with it all and drive to Las Vegas for a massive blowout party to forget all their problems for a while. While in Las Vegas, they’ll stumble into Linsay Lohan who will be out clubbing. After a wild night involving far too much adult beverage, they’ll end up at an all-night marriage chapel completing the train wreck that began with ANet adding guesting.

So there you have it. ANet adding guesting is going to ruin the lives of a whole lot of players who will end up married to Lindsey Lohan. There is simply no worse ‘feature’ ANet could possibly have added to the game.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

i’ll be using it to complete skill points/achievements etc that are bugged on my server

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

I predict mass exploitation unless they snyc dragons and de’s so people wont be jumping from world to world that or loot lockouts for chest events.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

I plan to use guesting to hang out on Tarnished Coast. I enjoy RP, but in moderation

That’s an excellent idea, I’ve been really curious about checking out what the game is like on TC and it never even occurred to me before that guesting would be the way to do it =)

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

As someone from a low population server, I look forward to being able to participate in and open up the temple of Balthazar. Around a million Karma saved up for some shards.

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

Yes I’m sure that also the pvp teams worked only on guesting apart from 5 minutes per day. Nobody in any of the multiple teams of the studio did anything else (except 5 mins. per day) at all.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Haha, I wish I’d had the foresight to do this. TC has treated me well as a main server, but sometimes it’s a bit much. Treating it more like a vacation home than a primary residence sounds kind of nice…

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Lordrosicky.5813

I think OP is probably correct. For the most part anyway. A small % of peeps will use it, but I would venture that most of us either brought friends with us or made them on the server we’re playing on.

Yeh anyone I care about playing with is on my server because…you know….I care about playing with them?

Posted by: pdboddy.4162

pdboddy.4162

have fun

Right, so I should have used the free transfers to transfer to Tarnished Coast which was full at the time… every time I tried.

Guesting will be fun.

Lordrosicky.5813

As someone from a low population server, I look forward to being able to participate in and open up the temple of Balthazar. Around a million Karma saved up for some shards.

Well its actually easier to open balthazaar on a low pop server due to how the event scales. You want about 6 people to do the event most easily and with the lowest fail rate. The difficulty gets very hard the more people you have because people play badly.

SpyderArachnid.5619

More than enough, if you have the connections…is NP.

Then i have friends worldwide too, all those who added me from dungeon runs, or i ever said or they to me ’’hi’’ in overflows, and especially my 500 men alliance (thought 95% already left the game) and the rest has guild for use as extra bank slots.

What are you going on about?

I’m talking actual friends, not random strangers you say hi to and that’s it. You know what friends are right? Is it so hard to believe that people have real friends on other worlds? Or do you really just not know what friends are?

Posted by: cipher.7438

cipher.7438

I hope you guys know this was just an excuse to terminate the free server transfers. Arenanet offers some bogus gimmick as a cover/excuse to eliminate a free service.

cipher
Hammerfist Clan: http://www.hammerfistclan.com

SpyderArachnid.5619

I hope you guys know this was just an excuse to terminate the free server transfers. Arenanet offers some bogus gimmick as a cover/excuse to eliminate a free service.

Wow, you just couldn’t be more wrong.

Guesting was a feature that was announced before Beta. We were supposed to have it when the game released, but there were complications and it got pulled.

So instead, they gave us free transfers temporarily till they could get guesting fixed.

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

How exactly is this a bad thing? Do we even know how nodes will be affected with guesting? Even if you were able to farm 3x the nodes, that isn’t exactly that big of a deal as I doubt that many would exploit it anyway…

One thing which could be a major issue is if one server was assigned as the “Unofficial PvE server” which everyone guests over to, making it a lot harder to do large scale PvE events on lower pop servers.

Though if that was the case, playing with friends on other servers, being able to participate in community events on different servers, having the ability to hang out in the unofficial PvP servers hotm without transfering etc, would REALLY make up for it imo.

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

I hope you realize that free server transfers were a gimmick to cover for guesting not working at launch…

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

the tragedy of a poorly thought out addition to a game, when will the madness end?

Someone will post on the forums that there server has Balthies open. Piles o’ people will flock to guest on that server for fifteen minutes or so to get their shards. Then they go back to their real server, dump tons o stuffs in the mystic forge, not get what they wanted, come back to the forums to rant about how much ANet sucks. While they’re shouting at their computer, they’ll get overheard by their significant other who will ask what they’re doing. Being in a bad mood from getting ripped off by the RNG, they’ll snap a mean reply back at said s.o. Said s.o. will get ticked off and go stomping out the door. While out, they’ll decide to go to the club to relax, and at that club they’ll meet a rich doctor and it’ll be love at first sight. They’ll then go home with their shiny new doctor and juvenile feline all night long. The next day, they’ll head home to get their stuff, and tell the poor idiot who is still smarting for wasting all that gold on the mystic forge that it’s over. The poor idiot in deep despair will then decide to hell with it all and drive to Las Vegas for a massive blowout party to forget all their problems for a while. While in Las Vegas, they’ll stumble into Linsay Lohan who will be out clubbing. After a wild night involving far too much adult beverage, they’ll end up at an all-night marriage chapel completing the train wreck that began with ANet adding guesting.

So there you have it. ANet adding guesting is going to ruin the lives of a whole lot of players who will end up married to Lindsey Lohan. There is simply no worse ‘feature’ ANet could possibly have added to the game.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’ve been waiting readily for guesting. I play with several RL friends and we didn’t all end up on the same server. This will make our lives 1,000,000x easier in game.

This is one thing I’m extremely glad Anet is adding to the game.

I hope you realize that free server transfers were a gimmick to cover for guesting not working at launch…

This. It was known to us at headstart that free transfers were not here to stay. Though we kind of expected to get guesting a whole lot sooner than we did >_>

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Well, I will only use it for Orr temples… a problem that shouldn’t be solved this way…

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

I don’t understand what people mean by saying “I’ll use guesting to play with mah friends”.

I mean, if you want to do dungeons – it can be done cross-server anyways.

PvP and WvW is not covered by guesting, so that’s not the case either.

So what do you want to do? Talking in LA’s map chat? Randomly running around? There’s like no content for guesting in GW2, besides the dragons\temples hopping.

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

actually … they do. Google cross-atlantic cable. The entire internet is pushed through that one.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Randomly running around? There’s like no content for guesting in GW2, besides the dragons\temples hopping.

“randomly running around”, ie: open world pve, is something a lot of ppl do.

it actually makes up the vast majority of content in the game.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Sidekick.2509

Sidekick.2509

this is finally going to start saving me money since i can now sit still and not have to build a new personal guild bank every freaking month trying to keep up with friends who are bent on finding an “active and drama free guild” on any server where, “if you fall behind, you’re left behind” is the phrase of the day, every day.

at least now i can sit still and call them a bunch of bad names with total smugness and self confidence as they deal with their stints of drama and i still get leveling and event partners

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

You’re joking right? Guesing is going to be hevily used by anyone who knows it’s there & wants to actually play in the open world. Orr will be awesome again.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Lol guesting for farm dragons, and orr events, seems like exploit to me, yep people will use guesting but 99% for not the real purpose.

Thought there was a 24hr cool down?

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

It may be helpfull for somethings. The Sad thing is because we can’t enter in US servers, where most of my friends are…

Then it’s mostly useless for me.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I don’t understand what people mean by saying “I’ll use guesting to play with mah friends”.

I mean, if you want to do dungeons – it can be done cross-server anyways.

PvP and WvW is not covered by guesting, so that’s not the case either.

So what do you want to do? Talking in LA’s map chat? Randomly running around? There’s like no content for guesting in GW2, besides the dragons\temples hopping.

With most of the maps currently rather empty, and events require you to solo them since you can’t find folks to run with, guesting will be a huge boon for finding folks to come help out. Grab a friend from another server and now you have 2 people. Gone are the days when you are limited only to yours.

Also great for dailies.