I really hope Anet wakes up

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

This is pretty much a raid only release, and I hope Anet has someway to see the numbers about how little the % of their playerbase cares about raids, and instead of making 3 raid wings the priority after launch, they focus more on the stuff that made their game so successful heading into HoT.

Such as Living Story, awesome fights like the Marionette, SAB, story driven festivals, bi-weekly releases. We didn’t see anything like this leading up to HoT and everyone passed it off because all the devs were working on expansion 1. We don’t have that excuse anymore and it’s been 6 months since the release of HoT and we still haven’t seen any of this and GW2 really returning to what everyone loved about the game in the first place.

I feel like the game I played for 2 years, and 6 years in GW1 has become something completely different and I’m really disappointed in the way it is going. I have been occasionally just checking the news from the outside, because I expected to have some content to come back to soon since i started a break from the game around the holidays.

I mean, an entire year without any living story(LWS3 in Q3)? Three years in and we still haven’t started delving into story lines that were left wide open in GW1 such as Palawa Joko in Elona, the new Emperor in Cantha, and what happened with Livia and the Scepter of Orr at the end of Prophecies.

If it takes an entire year to drop the next living story, how long is it going to be before we get expansion 2?

Let’s make Guild Wars 2 great again.

(edited by Jordo.5913)

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

Were in for a stunning amount of QQ, can’t you just jump on one of the other 6 million threads that complain about raids instead of creating a new one. Seriously some people like raids others hate them and enough are indifferent. Just let it go and wait, more stuff is coming, this is not the last patch ever going to be released by anet.

Jordo.5913

Were in for a stunning amount of QQ, can’t you just jump on one of the other 6 million threads that complain about raids instead of creating a new one. Seriously some people like raids others hate them and enough are indifferent. Just let it go and wait, more stuff is coming, this is not the last patch ever going to be released by anet.

I don’t hate raids. I actually like them being in the game.

I don’t like them affecting other content being released.

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t make content that 99% of your player base would enjoy, but instead make your priority what 1% of your player base enjoys, and make the 99% wait a year for more content.

LWS3 should be the priority, and then let raid wings have the delayed release.

(edited by Jordo.5913)

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Well how else is that going to work? Someone has to do it and that means resources, which are not infinite, must be used.

Jordo.5913

Well how else is that going to work? Someone has to do it and that means resources, which are not infinite, must be used.

Increase the man power behind LWS3

Decrease the man power behind raids.

Let raids have the lengthy release windows. Raiders care about PvE and the story of the game, so inbetween raid releases there is content that everyone can enjoy.

Non-raiders are happy with story. Raiders are happy with raids and story breaks.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

From 5 to 4?

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

I’m not sure why you have a problem with them releasing raid content. personally I don’t play the content, but I know some do, and so I fully support them releasing that for the people that enjoy it.

stop only thinking about yourself OP, other people play this game.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

They don’t.

This has been confirmed repeatedly by the raid team themselves and ANet’s upper management. They are completely isolated from the living story team, the fractals team, the pvp team, the wvw team, and every other team. They are a team of 5-6 full time employees out of ~300 employees. Additionally, the tech that the raid team has developed has actually proven useful in other areas of the game, such as in fractals and open world content. The only impact the raid team has on the game is positive.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

" I hope Anet has someway to see the numbers about how little the % of their playerbase cares about raids"

Yes… please almighty lord of numbers show us the number of players who like raids.. cos im pretty sure it’s more then you think it is.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Deedrick.4372

They obviously have the number and found developing raids profitable....

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

It really is about balance and spreading things out.

Based on what we learned last week, it will be close to a year after HOT before we see a single substantial update including anything other than raid content. While raids can have a place in the game, what we are currently seeing isn’t good for the game, it will result in eventual population drops and it should not be acceptable to anyone.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

And if you read the AMA @Jordo, the raid team is only 6 or so devs. Raids are being talked about simply because it was done and being released and the development plan went back to HoT so those release dates were planned ahead.

They are busy working on other things as well, again if you read the AMA. But no, it’s OMG they put out content you don’t care about while all these other things are being ignored (they’re not) so get it out of your system, it’s cathartic, and wait to see what’s coming in another two weeks.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Let raids have the lengthy release windows. Raiders care about PvE and the story of the game, so inbetween raid releases there is content that everyone can enjoy.

Non-raiders are happy with story. Raiders are happy with raids and story breaks.

In theory it is possible but in practice dungeons/raids/quests etc. tend to be shorter than arcs so making the shorter things take longer updates is just shooting yourself in the foot; the people who play the dungeons/raids/quests/fractals are looking for content and getting it once every long while and those seeking arcs are getting what could probably be considered rushed or choppy stories.

It would be better for an arc to take a year or more but be complete in my opinion than for an arc to be slowly dribbled to us with immediately gratifying content taking a very long time to produce and release.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

It’s obvious why they’re releasing raids as fast as they can. Raiding was supposed to be part of the expansion.

I’ve seen people on this forum say, in response to complaints about lack of content, that “HoT is like a season pass”. Yeah, sure. A season pass for raiders.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Throwing more people at a problem, contrary to what some people believe, is NOT always the solution. Unless it’s a door in wvw. Then it’s always the answer.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Such as Living Story, awesome fights like the Marionette, SAB, story driven festivals, bi-weekly releases. We didn’t see anything like this leading up to HoT and everyone passed it off because all the devs were working on expansion 1. We don’t have that excuse anymore and it’s been 6 months since the release of HoT and we still haven’t seen any of this and GW2 really returning to what everyone loved about the game in the first place.

I feel like the game I played for 2 years, and 6 years in GW1 has become something completely different and I’m really disappointed in the way it is going. I have been occasionally just checking the news from the outside, because I expected to have some content to come back to soon since i started a break from the game around the holidays.

I mean, an entire year without any living story(LWS3 in Q3)? Three years in and we still haven’t started delving into story lines that were left wide open in GW1 such as Palawa Joko in Elona, the new Emperor in Cantha, and what happened with Livia and the Scepter of Orr at the end of Prophecies.

If it takes an entire year to drop the next living story, how long is it going to be before we get expansion 2?

Let’s make Guild Wars 2 great again.

That’s exactly why I left 2 weeks ago with no LS in sight, and you’re wrong by the way by the time LS 3 comes out 18 months will have gone by. In between expansions LS becomes a vey important factor for those who only do PVE and to me 18 months without any is clearly unacceptable. At least if we had SAD but they did away with that too.

On a different note Tom Clancy’s: The division have 3 DLC planned for the first year alone, and it remeinded me of how Anet used past tense to be. They should never have done away with Utopia for GW 1 which was half done and was a better game.

Anet did away with GW 1.
They did away with Utopia.
They did away with water combat which resulted in a silly jungle without lakes and river, there is so little water in the jungle the frogs can’t even remember how to swim.
They did away with SAB.
Almost did away with LS.
And last but not least they did away with me, way to go Anet.
Have fun guys see you in LS 3 and the next expansion.

(edited by Hybarf Tics.2048)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t make content that 99% of your player base would enjoy, but instead make your priority what 1% of your player base enjoys, and make the 99% wait a year for more content.

LWS3 should be the priority, and then let raid wings have the delayed release.

You speak with quite a bit of authority about the statistics behind who likes what … considering you don’t have the slightest shred of data to support it. Well done.

In addition, we already know that the people working on the raids aren’t the same people working on the LS .. so if you have no reason to fear for raids affecting other content being released.

There is no ‘LS3 is a the priority over raids’ because they are being worked on simultaneously, each with their own resources. That statement shows you aren’t informed.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I would be stunned if the number of people doing raids outnumbers the number of people that were doing dungeons before the reward nerf. To say they have seen the numbers raiding and found that it is profitable is iffy at best.

They have to produce the raid wings to keep their original promise with the expansion. After they produce the promised number of wings, we will see if they pursue raiding with as much enthusiasm.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

The Needs of the few Outweigh the Needs of the many
The Logic of Anet

Deedrick.4372

If its not profitable anet doesn’t do it. Look at the new content every couple weeks goal, under water, dungeons.... when something isn’t cost effective vs gain a company who has a bottom line of profit, isn’t going to sink time and effort into something not profitable. We don’t get publicly released numbers, and others guess and feud about profit reports that are public, but the bottom line is anet sees a profit margin in ti, or more than likely wouldn’t pursue it.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I believe they committed to 3 raids wings when hyping HoT. They must make them or go back on their promise.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Raids were announced as part of HoT. The first wing released ~1 month after HoT launched, the second wing today. If PvE players had had to wait a month for TD and another 4 months for DS, there would have been hell to pay.

Meanwhile, PvE has had a quarterly release with a meta boss revision, a balance patch and gliding in core maps. Quarterly releases are now the preferred release method for content additions, with some minor things getting in, like a raid wing, here and there.

Meanwhile, the amount of devs working on various projects are (according to M. O’Brien) “120 devs working on live game, 70 devs on expansion 2, 30 devs on core teams that support both. Within the live release/expansion groups we have the PvP team, the WvW team, the Fractals team, the Raids team, the Living World team, the Legendaries team, and a couple others.”

Also,

“Raid teams are smaller than teams for Living World releases. For example, with Salvation Pass, we had only about 5-6 people working on it full time for 4 months.”

Making the raid wings the priority? Not even close. Complain about the major release cadence being quarterly if you like, you’d be correct about that.

signed: player who does not raid, but who has a sense of proportion

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

They did away with water combat which resulted in a silly jungle without lakes and river, there is so little water in the jungle the frogs can’t even remember how to swim.

They couldn’t even be bothered to make most of the new elite spec abilities underwater-compatible, even when they should be (like chronomancer wells, since necromancer wells work underwater. Also the tiger pet is literally the only cat that’s not amphibious, and the bristleback’s a kitten turtle so it should be amphibious too).

Also, half of the entire revenant profession doesn’t work underwater, which is absolutely hilarious.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Raids should be removed from gw2. The 0.1% that like such kitten should go back to WoW instead of destroying gw2!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Your issue is not with the raid team but the other teams that have comparatively have plenty of developers (see reddit AMA: 140 minimum working on the live game, 70 on new expac, 150 on ‘live’ minus the 5 – 6 on raid + help from a couple of others here and there – their words) and don’t seem to have accomplished much that we can see and play.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

From 5 to 4?

It’s not 5. The raid team is 5 people, but Anet also said that most things are being done by several teams cooperating.

Edit: and after reading through AMA more closely, it’s not even only 5 people. That’s just the core number for the second wing alone.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

Raids should be removed from gw2. The 0.1% that like such kitten should go back to WoW instead of destroying gw2!

when will people stop throwing around imaginary numbers? Anet said in the AMA that the participation is higher than in other games with raids, it is way higher than 1% (and even in WoW the mystic participation is higher than 5% of the whole player base).

and stop comparing wow raids with gw2 raids, they are fundamentally different.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

Posted by: legendary angelis rowan.2354

legendary angelis rowan.2354

Anet made frogie forgot how to swim in HoT… that’s why I only login for daily chest nowdays… Or I’m too old to play this games already? urrmm… ;p

Posted by: moony.5780

moony.5780

i guess the first post is not against raids..but against the direction gw2 is taking..it become pure grinding…in the past u could freely run around and have fun everywhere how u like..now u need do special things that u dont even enjoy….and there is sooo less content except brainless grind thats not even fun. The old open world in gw2 was super cool and it have the potential to grow even better if someoen take care of it..and add more different activities for everyone (so everyone can choose what to do)….and in the past gw2 was never boring..there was always something going on…now its doing the same over and over….

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

In the past you couldn’t do any of those things. You were new, everyone was new, all the mobs killed you all the time, you had to spend money walking everywhere, you never had enough money / time / karma/ mats for anything. People complained about having to join guilds, about world events, about the gem store, about how there wasn’t enough content, about how it was too grindy and boring and NOT LIKE GW1.

People have been complaining since the start about all the same things.
So they add more activities for everyone that everyone can choose to do.. and some people hate it, some love it, some are already bored of it, some aren’t.

Raids aren’t ruining anything, players are ruining it for themselves.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

They don’t.

This has been confirmed repeatedly by the raid team themselves and ANet’s upper management. They are completely isolated from the living story team, the fractals team, the pvp team, the wvw team, and every other team. They are a team of 5-6 full time employees out of ~300 employees. Additionally, the tech that the raid team has developed has actually proven useful in other areas of the game, such as in fractals and open world content. The only impact the raid team has on the game is positive.

Pretty sure they don’t have 300 “employees” anymore. That 300 number was during a time when the xpac development was in full swing and most likely included quite a few temp ppl.

The latest numbers we have came from Mike’s AMA:

We have about 120 devs working on the live game, 70 devs on Expac2, and 30 devs on core teams that support both. Within these groups we have cross-discipline teams with focused missions. For example on Live we have the PvP team, the WvW team, the Fractals team, the Raids team, the Living World team, the Legendaries team, and a couple others. The teams are charged with carrying a feature from inception and design through completion. When they finish, we typically package work from multiple teams into a single release, then we hand it off to release teams for final voice integration, localization, QA, and release management.

So about 220

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

They don’t.

Pretty sure they don’t have 300 “employees” anymore. That 300 number was during a time when the xpac development was in full swing and most likely included quite a few temp ppl.

The latest numbers we have came from Mike’s AMA:

We have about 120 devs working on the live game, 70 devs on Expac2, and 30 devs on core teams that support both. Within these groups we have cross-discipline teams with focused missions. For example on Live we have the PvP team, the WvW team, the Fractals team, the Raids team, the Living World team, the Legendaries team, and a couple others. The teams are charged with carrying a feature from inception and design through completion. When they finish, we typically package work from multiple teams into a single release, then we hand it off to release teams for final voice integration, localization, QA, and release management.

So about 220

That’s only the devs …… what all the support people? The techs to keep the computer systems going? The office personnel? The cleaning crews for the offices? So yea I can believe that 300 or more are working there still.

Posted by: Bebunw.8137

Bebunw.8137

From 5 to 4?

So with 5 people we get for the previous 6 month of pve contents raids, what all the others devs working on …. oh wait

and it’s not done yet next release is raid again in may/june it’s like 9 months with raids only

Posted by: Bebunw.8137

Bebunw.8137

and stop comparing wow raids with gw2 raids, they are fundamentally different.

Not that different raid is raid, there is enrage timers, roles (tanks, dps and healer), positionning, dps/control phases, special action button like in wow, have to be in organised group, have to be ascended with foods buff and on teamspeak. Don’t forget they hire a dev who worked on Wow raids to do theirs. The only difference i can see is the action gameplay and no geartreadmill for next raids.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

From 5 to 4?

what all the others devs working on

“We recently started PvP season two and we’re about to launch the next raid wing. After that we’re packaging up and preparing our next big quarterly update for April. The April update is about reducing grind, clearing away some tedium, getting quickly to the fun, and improving rewards.”

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

After that we’re packaging up and preparing our next big quarterly update for April. The April update is about reducing grind, clearing away some tedium, getting quickly to the fun, and improving rewards."

Still not a hint of anything new. Yawn.