I really want to play this game again but it needs an expansion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

There’s no point unless I can get my friends to take another look at it. MMO’s are all about community and while I’m sure that there are still plenty of people playing, I need MY guys playing for it to really be fun.

Basically GW2 needs an expansion. Badly. It’s such a great game (mechanics/design) it just needs an expansion level content boost to get people to give it another shot.

My personal dream would be of a more sandbox style addition to the game.

Just my 2¢

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

If they have not played in a while, between living story and feature packs there has been a good amount of content added.

Kadin.2356

If they have not played in a while, between living story and feature packs there has been a good amount of content added.

I’ve tried. Doesn’t have nearly the same punch as a properly marketed expansion. I hate to point to WoW but they were adding content constantly as well but what draws everyone back time and again? Expansions.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Another “we need an expansion” thread. Thanks, what the forums need is another one of these.

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

It doesn’t need an expansion. The content and achievements keep the game fresh and moving forward. Why is expansion the battle cry? This game has changed and evolved since its pre-release beta days. The game is evolving and changing. I am still logging in to run around and work towards gaining achievements. Doesn’t need expansion yet. Still more area to explore.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I’ve tried. Doesn’t have nearly the same punch as a properly marketed expansion. I hate to point to WoW but they were adding content constantly as well but what draws everyone back time and again? Expansions.

So if the 4 added story lines had been marketed as an ‘expansion’, with a zippy new box and all sorts of hype, and you had been charged 50+ bucks for it, you would now be happy?

No thanks. I will take Anet’s method of adding content. Doesn’t cost the user any $$, and if I don’t like one or more of them, I don’t feel like I wasted any $$.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

So if the 4 added story lines had been marketed as an ‘expansion’, with a zippy new box and all sorts of hype, and you had been charged 50+ bucks for it, you would now be happy?

No thanks. I will take Anet’s method of adding content. Doesn’t cost the user any $$, and if I don’t like one or more of them, I don’t feel like I wasted any $$.

Hate to tell you but that wasn’t an expansion worth of content.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Hate to tell you but that wasn’t an expansion worth of content.

This.

Posted by: Rip Van Winkle.4859

Rip Van Winkle.4859

I have played several PAY games that have put Expansions in. Content was old after 30 days for the Price of $80.00 usd. No Thanks we don’t need that at all….

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I have played several PAY games that have put Expansions in. Content was old after 30 days for the Price of $80.00 usd. No Thanks we don’t need that at all….

Then you played a game like the original and realized every 6 months you get at least (if not more than) 3 months worth of content. This isn’t a pay game..

Even the sorrows furnace free expansion people were playing till factions, happily, and that was one area.

Regardless, these stories come up regularly, and we still have no idea where this game is going. If it’s living story, some people would probably uninstall at this point. The only thing saving this game is that there isn’t another one like it or better than it out there now.

I’m just saying, i’d pay for the expansions worth of content…gladly.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Big Boss.7902

Big Boss.7902

I left the game for over a year. When I came back recently I spend two evenings doing all the new content, that’s just over a years worth of content lasted two evenings.

Seriously disappointed with the volume of content that has been added. The quality of the stories were good as were the maps. Just really disappointing for the amount of time that has passed that nothing substantial has really been added.

M Norn War Thror McCaw| F Norn Ele Lana Lan| M Charr Guard True Devil| F Norn Rang Shora
Swift| M Norn Mes Ludicrous Larry| F Norn War Tanni Wolfmaster| M Sylvari Necro Orin Storm|
M Human Thief Clint Elmwood| M Norn Guard Thor Lightning God| Desolation.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

There’s no point unless I can get my friends to take another look at it. MMO’s are all about community and while I’m sure that there are still plenty of people playing, I need MY guys playing for it to really be fun.

~Snip~

Here’s your problem right here…you need your guys to have fun…well, guess what, that’s a personal issue, if these were really your friends and you guys had fun playing together, then guess what. They wouldn’t have abandoned you, which is what it sounds like they did. You see, it’s much easier to just play the game for yourself and let all the other players be your ‘friends’. I’m not being negative, this is an honest assessment of your problem…remember, in all facets of life, real friends do not abandon you, they are always there for you…no matter what.

As for those people that would uninstall a game that you can leave and come back to at any time…are your HD’s really that crammed full of stuff that you can’t just leave the game installed? Honestly, I started with a 1TB drive, it’s still only 2/3 full, and I plan on moving it to a 1TB SSD…if I ever need more room, I’ll just add another TB SSD.

(edited by Zaklex.6308)

Posted by: Skady.5916

Skady.5916

OP is right if you think of it. Properly marketed expansion is something that always brings people back. Living story updates every 2 weeks is just not enough of incentive for many people to come back – they want something massive

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.
-Carlos Castaneda
Skady Valda

Posted by: Alaryk.6310

Alaryk.6310

The only reason for an expansion to ever be shipped out for this game is two things, one a new soldier class and two a new race that is pretty much it, (unless they want to kill the way points and do mounts ). Every 2 weeks the players are given content in the form of LS or big class balances, and sometimes map expansions. The big issue is how quickly the player base completes the content given, I know for a fact the last LS took me roughly six hours, where as raid content took me weeks if not months to complete but that is due to skill level and how much time people have to play. The main idea for the Devs is to let everyone win, that is the core idea here and you will never see a big gap between players like you do in other mmos that give raid content its just not in the design philosophy at Anet. Also it takes money to build such ideas and if you ever poke around to see where the gem store cash goes you would not be knocking on Anets door but NC softs, because I’m pretty sure if Anet received the gems story full capital then you would most likely see more content, or Colin Johanson creating his sandwich maker class and we all be doomed….
Unless you are in the inner sanctum of this beast known as Anet who are we to say what is needed and not? perhaps they would love do things such as make everything you ever wanted, trust me they would to a certain degree, because that would make you happy as a player base and you would play the game more. More time in game = better for devs and they need to eat too.

This message was brought to you by Colin Johanson, Sandwich mancer!

Kadin.2356

I left the game for over a year. When I came back recently I spend two evenings doing all the new content, that’s just over a years worth of content lasted two evenings.

Seriously disappointed with the volume of content that has been added. The quality of the stories were good as were the maps. Just really disappointing for the amount of time that has passed that nothing substantial has really been added.

Q.E.D.

OP is right if you think of it. Properly marketed expansion is something that always brings people back. Living story updates every 2 weeks is just not enough of incentive for many people to come back – they want something massive

Yea I really don’t understand how this is not an obvious choice.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

Someone mentioned WoW so I thought I would point out:

WoW = sub = expansion plans
GW2 = box2pay = updates

Simple math. Can’t make expansions when you can’t pay the devs.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: NoEqual.1427

NoEqual.1427

I agree with the OP to some degree.

As a recently returning player I can tell you first hand that I did not come back to the game due to any form of marketing. A marketed expansion would likely bring a large number of players to give the game a second or third try.

The idea of an expansion though is not so great as the “box2play” model would see current players kittening. The problem is with no real marketing to the gaming community, through say twitch (gw2 has a very small twitch community) it’s likely players will only return to see whats going on when they are bored or waiting for something to happen in their primary game.

Living story updates every 2 weeks will most likely not even be heard about by most players that have already quit.

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

If a game is fun and you want to play it, then play it. If not, then don’t.
…Or just make posts on that game’s forums.

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

GW2 = box2pay = updates

Just to point simpler math:
GW1 = buy2play = expansions & updates

and both superior to the GW2 updates in my humble opinion. If anything, GW2 bussiness model screams for bigger cash injections, so expansions would be logical. But as always – I don’t see whole picture, maybe I’m wrong and Anet is right. I just wonder why I don’t play anymore… (still read forums XD)

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

sure as Hell we don’t, no content at all 4ever

Wizzlock.3492

I agree with the OP to some degree.

As a recently returning player I can tell you first hand that I did not come back to the game due to any form of marketing. A marketed expansion would likely bring a large number of players to give the game a second or third try.

The idea of an expansion though is not so great as the “box2play” model would see current players kittening. The problem is with no real marketing to the gaming community, through say twitch (gw2 has a very small twitch community) it’s likely players will only return to see whats going on when they are bored or waiting for something to happen in their primary game.

Living story updates every 2 weeks will most likely not even be heard about by most players that have already quit.

This!
Nowadays I only log in to the game for 15 seconds every 2 weeks (and that only when my friend remind me to). I log in on my toon parked close to the chest on karka JP, click to open the chest, click to unlock the LS, click to turn off the game. Probably I’ll fly through the “new content” when whole season will be over – I think 2 evnings will suffice (I base that on my personal expirience with LS so far) and I’ll be away again. Actually no need to “return” to the game. The only inconvinience is to log every 2 weeks to unlock episodes. I could pay for them, but to be honest – I don’t actually feel, that devs deserved more money from me. I was supporting them for a really long time and then the game shifted direction, so yeah. Not now, not anytime soon I belive.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

and both superior to the GW2 updates in my humble opinion. If anything, GW2 bussiness model screams for bigger cash injections, so expansions would be logical. But as always – I don’t see whole picture, maybe I’m wrong and Anet is right. I just wonder why I don’t play anymore… (still read forums XD)

And yet for some reason they basically stopped with it about 2 years after release and didn’t return to the same format with Guild Wars 2. So it seem rather likely that said model didn’t actually work.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

1. Boxed expansions are able to reach out to gamers who have not yet heard or tried GW2 yet. Living world doesn’t do this.
  2. Boxed expansions generally provide more than just a story line that the player completes in a day. It contains enough content to provide players the same amount of excitement as the original release of the game.
  3. Boxed expansions generally include content that can be enjoyed throughout the life of the game, even after the initial rush has passed. End game areas that provide unique high end gear or items that can only be achieved in that area, exclusive mini games, etc.
  4. Boxed expansions generally include a new set of features not seen in previous versions of the game, such as races, professions, weapons, skills, etc. Living world can do this, but historically has only provided a handful of skills in a lengthy amount of time. A boxed expansion generally provides most if not all of the aforementioned at one time, bringing a new refreshment to the game.
  5. In a boxed expansion lore can be expanded and re-focused to areas not yet seen, or bring closure to open-ended questions brought up by the previous versions of the game.
  6. In a boxed expansion players can enjoy the story line at any time they purchase the expansion. They don’t have to log in to unlock the content in case they want to enjoy it later. If they don’t do this; currently the content that has passed has to be purchased. With some of the released being no more than 20 minutes worth of content, this is not appealing to new players who have missed the past content. Not to mention the difficulty in following the story line of the living world unless actively keeping up to date with the releases.

In closing, boxed expansions can expand the progression of the world and the game in a much broader sense in a shorter amount of time. It also provides more than one path to take; meaning you can enjoy another area of the game while other players explore another path of story/map/race/etc.

Discredit boxed expansions all you want, but there are many of us who prefer that type of release versus the current living world.

(edited by Antara.3189)

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Maybe find a guild and make new friends?

Posted by: IcarusMelody.5312

IcarusMelody.5312

Antara just dropped some knowledge on you guys. Too bad the GW2 fanboys prefer to pay more money/GRIND for gem store skins instead. Whatever sense that makes..

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Antara just dropped some knowledge on you guys. Too bad the GW2 fanboys prefer to pay more money/GRIND for gem store skins instead. Whatever sense that makes..

It’s not like it’s a binary choice. Even if there’s an expansion, there’ll still be Black Lion skins.

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Just print up a fake boxed expansion cover and on it list all of the things that have been put in game the last year, then give it to them as a gift along with a 10$ gem card so they can buy the parts of the story they missed. As long as they dont regularly read the forums they will never know the difference.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Discredit boxed expansions all you want, but there are many of us who prefer that type of release versus the current living world.

Just wait until they offer Season 2 of the living story as a mini expansion.

People wanting an expansion tend to expect something big, like Cantha, but if ArenaNet actually made one, it would likely be equivalent to 3 seasons of the living story – a beginning, a middle and a end.

Wizzlock.3492

And yet for some reason they basically stopped with it about 2 years after release and didn’t return to the same format with Guild Wars 2. So it seem rather likely that said model didn’t actually work.

Maybe. Or maybe the GW2 get green light and looking how outdated GW1 gaming mechanics was, Anet decided to bin “Utopia” and roll with the punches. We would never know!
Only thing I know is the fact, I’ve spend much more money on GW1 in 2 years than GW2 and I do not regret single penny. While every buck I have spend on GW2 above the box price, I consider wasted. But it’s just opinion – You don’t have to agree.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I was always against there thread, screaming for an expansion. But as time pass, I changed opinion. I’m only practical. Anet have a limited amount of financial support from the gem store. They can give us small amount of content or nothing at all for a while and then a big update like the feature patch. But I would like to have an expansion that ppl will pay for it. This would be a good money influx for Anet. Enough to fix a lot of the stuff that drag for so long.

- Precursor crafting
- New Legendary weapons and new legendary equipment
- New Weapons type and expansion of the current weapons to other profession
- Improving the Commander tag with new functionality
- New sPvP maps and other type of game other than conquest
- New profession and races
- SAB
- Crafting to 500 for chef and Jeweler.

All of that been spoken of by Anet staff.

Add to that GvG, Guild Halls, better home instance, new skins, more level in fractal, etc

With the amount of money they can from the gem story, they just don’t seem to keep up with all the stuff that they want to do and we want to have. A paid expension could fix most of that. Clear the sheet for new idea and let them focus on the storyline.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

The fact of the matter is, as hard as they try and as much as they wanted the LS to be their answer for a lot of people it just isn’t nearly enough. It moves the story forward but the rest is minimal at best. I can predict exactly what each will bring…a small piece of land, a new set of BLC weapon skins, some new gem items and a small chunk of story. This will never measure up to expansion type content, especially not at the grueling pace they want their developers to pump it out.

The only reason this decision was ever made was to allow for the vast majority of their developers to get China up and running while continuing to keep players here. The history behind how they developed and ran GW1 and how differently their approach has been with GW2 clearly bares this out. Now they’re behind the curve which is why we’ve seen long breaks between LS patches with any real substance such as the one 2 weeks back. We are now back into the small story updates until the holiday break then we’ll see another LS patch with some teeth then right back into 30 minute story clips.

This needs an expansion, it needs a major influx of stuff for veteran players because the volume of new players will continue the trend to decline so they can’t bank on that. The small content updates and a diminishing return of gem sales will only appease a portion of their player base long term. Frankly as someone else pointed out their only saving grace at this point is that there is nothing similar due for release, so my advice is use that grace period wisely and put together an expansion because you’ll need the revenue it brings sooner rather than later.
There is always something else great coming on the horizon, the saddest thing is most of my friends thought it would be a GW2 expansion, c/w new classes, races, lands, traits, armor, dungeons etc.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

I came back and brought 4 people with me. It’s a great game and so relaxing coming from TOR where it’s a constant battle to get nodes, complete bonus quests, etc. We play both and I find GW2 extremely refreshing. I left because my friends left. I brought them back. We’re looking forward to leveling together again and doing dungeons again.

In other words, it does not take an expansion to bring people back. It only takes a good friend to say “Hey, let’s give the game a chance again. I’m loving it, come play with me.”

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

GW2 = box2pay = updates

Game development is more complex & competitive now. This isn’t the same market when GW1 launched. GW2 has some powerful pluses but OP is right about needing to compete for the public’s eye. An expansion with real housing would be nice.

I’ll tell you one thing GW2 has done right – I can run this game on a slow crappy PC. That’s a high compliment! Most can’t put a 3k gaming PC together. I might be able to afford Alienware in a year or two but for now GW2 is the only recent game I’m able to run on my Windows Vista.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

“I’ll tell you one thing GW2 has done right – I can run this game on a slow crappy PC. That’s a high compliment! Most can’t put a 3k gaming PC together. I might be able to afford Alienware in a year or two but for now GW2 is the only recent game I’m able to run on my Windows Vista.”

Absolutely, I can run the game on a netbook and do character changes, etc.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Posted by: Cavalier.9064

Cavalier.9064

In order to do an expansion — if one is not currently in the pipeline already — it can be safely assumed that ArenaNet must do one of two things. They must either 1) allocate their current developer staff to work solely on an expansion, or 2) they must hire additional staff to work solely on an expansion while current developers continue providing regular content (or vice-versa).

This is problematic.

If they choose to allocate their current development team to working on an expansion exclusively, then very little to no new content will be released until the expansion is completed. Let’s assume 6 months to a year for this to occur. That’s an awful lot of players who will simply be bored out of their skulls and quit until an expansion arrives. Ergo, that’s an awful lot of players who, by default, won’t be purchasing anything from the marketplace and therefore, won’t be helping to fund ArenaNet’s day-to-day operations.

So that leaves hiring an entire development staff to work on an expansion while current staff works on continuing to provide regular content (or vice-versa). But is this feasible? I don’t know, I’m not in ArenaNet’s finance and payroll departments.

I just feel like, at this point, it’s a lose-lose situation for ArenaNet. Either keep staff numbers the same and re-allocate resources at the risk of losing money (players), or spend more money now on the hope that an expansion would allow you to recoup.

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

Someone check me on this but, Anet is adding new content (stories) every 2 weeks… right?
That not only gives you ample time to play the new story, but also allows you to thoroughly explore the new sections as well.
While I’d really love a bigger map section to be opened, I’m not complaining lol.

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Actually, that content came out over a period of two months. That content also wasn’t released until mid summer. Your statement about a year’s worth of content is misleading.

If you just now came back after a year, you missed a ton of content from season one.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Thaddeus.4891

In order to do an expansion — if one is not currently in the pipeline already — it can be safely assumed that ArenaNet must do one of two things. They must either 1) allocate their current developer staff to work solely on an expansion, or 2) they must hire additional staff to work solely on an expansion while current developers continue providing regular content (or vice-versa).

This is problematic.

If they choose to allocate their current development team to working on an expansion exclusively, then very little to no new content will be released until the expansion is completed. Let’s assume 6 months to a year for this to occur. That’s an awful lot of players who will simply be bored out of their skulls and quit until an expansion arrives. Ergo, that’s an awful lot of players who, by default, won’t be purchasing anything from the marketplace and therefore, won’t be helping to fund ArenaNet’s day-to-day operations.

So that leaves hiring an entire development staff to work on an expansion while current staff works on continuing to provide regular content (or vice-versa). But is this feasible? I don’t know, I’m not in ArenaNet’s finance and payroll departments.

I just feel like, at this point, it’s a lose-lose situation for ArenaNet. Either keep staff numbers the same and re-allocate resources at the risk of losing money (players), or spend more money now on the hope that an expansion would allow you to recoup.

True. But they have a number of staff depending on their income. An expansion will give an increase of income with which they can hire more ppl. Probably allocating part of their current staff on the expansion with a couple of newly hired ppl, while the rest of their current staff can continue to work on the Living Story with a couple of newly hired ppl.

The point here is the entrance of income to boost their capability to do more job. That way the game is still free to play since ppl don’t need to buy the expansion. But if ppl want, they can give money to Anet by buying the expansion to get access to that new content.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m not sure why people keep quoting this “every 2 weeks” crap…

We have had 6 LS updates since January… and this was probably the last one for the year…

That is one update every 2 months… the same as WoW… GW2 does not have some special super fast update schedule that people seem to think it has…

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I think we don’t need expansions at all. If expansions existed then some players would be left out because they could not afford it and they will most likely quit the game. The way they release the content now everyone enjoys it at the same time and nobody feels left out. If you want a game with an expansion go play WoW.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

There was tons of cool content released, it’s just been removed…

If you want to replay the Marionette battle, Kraith tower, Sanctum, Kraith Tower, Scarlett battle, Karka island story, or SAB just youtube the videos, unplug your keyboard and pretend you are playing it again…

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Anet’s business model is placated on the LS. With the exception of three or four releases, the LS has been between horrific and terrible.

No new weapons (not skins, those we get in droves), no new classes, no new races, snail’s pace of new zone releases. Changes to existing maps replaces what was there – netting nothing ‘new’ especially for anyone who recently started playing the game.

Run the LS, but lets get some traditional expansion content boxed up and put on a shelf for $xx.

SBI

Thaddeus.4891

We have had 6 LS updates since January… and this was probably the last one for the year…

That is one update every 2 months… the same as WoW… GW2 does not have some special super fast update schedule that people seem to think it has…

Well to be fair, you had 39 update since october 2012. This mean about one update each 22 days. If you start to count in april 2013 when they start to talk about 1 update each 2 weeks, then its 1 update each 18 days, which is basically 1 update each 2 weeks.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well to be fair, you had 39 update since october 2012. This mean about one update each 22 days. If you start to count in april 2013 when they start to talk about 1 update each 2 weeks, then its 1 update each 18 days, which is basically 1 update each 2 weeks.

I don’t count anything from season 1 as an “update”

Some of the “updates” back then were literally click F on this sign post! “UPDATE!!!” It got better towards the end, but it was still an entirely different format. Back then they used to tell us about their big plans for the game too, doesn’t make it true for this year though.

Ayrilana.1396

Very convenient to discount season one as being content. It sure does vastly improve your argument to completely ignore it though.

Posted by: Stormscar.5489

Stormscar.5489

A few words come to my mind about the people who say GW2 doesn’t need an expansion. If youre gonna argue that the two living stories up to now combined gave even close to an expansion worth of content, you’re plain WRONG. there is no arguing about it. If they did no living story, they couldve just worked 1 and a half years, MAXIMUM 2 years and they couldve released it.

And also, no matter how kitten casual you are, most of the living story updates, maybe except episode 5, can not give you more time to play than lets say 6 hours. No freaking way! Takes 1 hour to complete the story part, and maybe 2-3 hours to get achievements, and the rest i dont even know what you do. Thats 3 hours per week.

What could have they added in it? Maybe, hmm, the personal story of killing another elder dragon (because, you know, its been more than 2 years and we only killed 1 dragon). Because at this rate the elder dragons will be dead by 2024, and thats without any cantha/elona content. Also, they couldve added 5-6 dungeons, a new class, a new race etc. And don’t tell me its not possible.

And you know why you need an expansion? Because thats the only way people will keep playing, and they will be invested enough in order to buy gems. The fewer active players= the fewer gems bought.

I am very sure that if they dont AT LEAST announce an expansion at end of LS season 2 this game will die out in 1 year. Because you can only live so long from players who are buying just now the game.

Oh, and even if the content added in the previous LS wouldve been permanent, it wouldn’t even compare to an expansion. It has close to no new maps, and it has very trivial content, no endgame (hard explorable dungeons/fractals level of difficulty). I would love to see dungeons as hard as arah which reward adequately.

(edited by Stormscar.5489)

Ayrilana.1396

A few words come to my mind about the people who say GW2 doesn’t need an expansion. If youre gonna argue that the two living stories up to now combined gave even close to an expansion worth of content, you’re plain WRONG. there is no arguing about it. If they did no living story, they couldve just worked 1 and a half years, MAXIMUM 2 years and they couldve released it.

And also, no matter how kitten casual you are, most of the living story updates, maybe except episode 5, can not give you more time to play than lets say 6 hours. No freaking way! Takes 1 hour to complete the story part, and maybe 2-3 hours to get achievements, and the rest i dont even know what you do. Thats 3 hours per week.

What could have they added in it? Maybe, hmm, the personal story of killing another elder dragon (because, you know, its been more than 2 years and we only killed 1 dragon). Because at this rate the elder dragons will be dead by 2024, and thats without any cantha/elona content. Also, they couldve added 5-6 dungeons, a new class, a new race etc. And don’t tell me its not possible.

And you know why you need an expansion? Because thats the only way people will keep playing, and they will be invested enough in order to buy gems. The fewer active players= the fewer gems bought.

I am very sure that if they dont AT LEAST announce an expansion at end of LS season 2 this game will die out in 1 year. Because you can only live so long from players who are buying just now the game.

Oh, and even if the content added in the previous LS wouldve been permanent, it wouldn’t even compare to an expansion. It has close to no new maps, and it has very trivial content, no endgame (hard explorable dungeons/fractals level of difficulty). I would love to see dungeons as hard as arah which reward adequately.

How about not ignoring season one. Thanks.

Posted by: Stormscar.5489

Stormscar.5489

First half of season 1 was completely crap even for living story standard. It got better, although again what can we remember from most of it? Open world: farm gauntlet, farm invasion etc. Looking at the whole picture, the story progressed too slowly. And even then, as I said, living story isnt even close to enough to giving enough meaningful content how an expansion does, no matter if you look at Factions/Nightfall or expansions of that other game for example.

Posted by: Rip Van Winkle.4859

Rip Van Winkle.4859

So some want to pay out for content that may take 30-60 days to get through. Sorry but you must have bumped you heads. Like I stated above I have played games that had expansions they were not cheap. The content was crappy and the total play time to run all of the stuff was 30 days. Plus they had Subscription content in the EXP. that if you didn’t Sub you had to pay to Play. Problem with GW2 it is to easy to level and not do most of the content. Fix that and there will be plenty of stuff to do.

Ayrilana.1396

First half of season 1 was completely crap even for living story standard. It got better, although again what can we remember from most of it? Open world: farm gauntlet, farm invasion etc. Looking at the whole picture, the story progressed too slowly. And even then, as I said, living story isnt even close to enough to giving enough meaningful content how an expansion does, no matter if you look at Factions/Nightfall or expansions of that other game for example.

You’d probably be happier if they had released all of the content at once rather than spread it out.