I so desire a New Heavy Armor Melee class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I so desire a New Heavy Armor Melee class.

I leveled my Guardian/Warrior, and now my Engineer.

The only classes that have the level of melee close to what I am looking for is Ranger/thief, and both of them are med armor (which imo is by far the worst armor type, look wise, in the game)

and their melee combat is purely boring. Well purely is kind of overdoing it. But you get the point.

Ranger is ok, but so hate the pet part, and the utilities arent very melee like.

Thief is too into that stealth thing. I dont like that play style in this. Very bursty, little defense. No good support options at all with this class. Feels very self focused, class. I like being part of a group tactic ( not using the word Trinity here, but same concept). in GW2, where DPS is the main role in the game, this class fits that well, but I dont like being a DPS only class. sorry.

I want something new.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i want a new heavy profession too.
but i can’t think of any new profession names anymore.
the 8 professions seems to have covered it all.

warrior (high health, heavy armor)
guardian (low health, heavy armor)
??? (medium health? heavy armor)

ranger (medium health, medium armor)
engineer (medium health, medium armor)
thief (low health, medium armor)

mesmer (medium health, light armor)
elementalist (low health, light armor)
necromancer (high health, light armor)

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Let me pull something out of thin air.

…..Ah! The third Heavy class could be a Theurgist. They use their skill at martial combat and dark arts to forcibly rip life energy from living creatures so they can summon some sort of crazy powerful entity to replace them in combat for a short time.

….okay I tried……

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

I wouldn’t worry so much about the name as the mechanics. The mechanics will give rise to a name. Though I’m not sure what mechanics could be used.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Soldier, Mercenary, Paladin, Cavalier, Musketeer, Dark Knight, Spellblade, Warmage, Battlemage

Just a few off the top of my head. Many of them have appeared in other games but are generic enough to work in GW2.

Also, I think GW1 had a “heavy” type class called a Paragon…

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Chrispy,
lul theurigst hahahahaha.

Theurgy describes the practice of rituals, sometimes seen as magical in nature, performed with the intention of invoking the action or evoking the presence of one or more gods, especially with the goal of uniting with the divine, achieving henosis, and perfecting oneself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theurgist

Sorin,
i see. hmmm what do you think about the health? since we have high health warrior, low health guardian, maybe we can have a medium heath heavy profession.

hmmmm mechanics …

what if …
this new heavy, wields melee weapons (no long bow, no rifle) but the attacks are ranged single target no cleave? and can do 3 hit combo from 1,200 range?

like, slashing the air, single victim from 1,200 range away receives damage.

tolunart,
“Soldier, Mercenary, Paladin, Cavalier, Musketeer, Dark Knight, Spellblade, Warmage, Battlemage”

soldier: name of stats prefix, warrior & guardian are classified as soldier professions
mercenary: i can’t find a suitable theme or mechanic for it
paladin: feels guardian-ish haha
Cavalier: name of stats prefix
musketeer: a heavy rifle specialized profession? could work
dark knight: 2 names! we need 1 name professions haha.
spellblade: could work. specialize in swords, daggers, magic and martial skills
warmage: elementalist in heavy armor? could work
battlemage: martial and magic skills, could work.

(edited by Deimos Tel Arin.7391)

Chrispy.5641

Chrispy,
lul theurigst hahahahaha.

Theurgy describes the practice of rituals, sometimes seen as magical in nature, performed with the intention of invoking the action or evoking the presence of one or more gods, especially with the goal of uniting with the divine, achieving henosis, and perfecting oneself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theurgist

The fantasy RPG equivelant (in a magic heavy world) is essentially summoners. I wasn’t That far off…

…and now I feel I must make a visit to the Suggestions forum to prove how a random idea like that could work and still be heavy armor…. I accept that imaginary Challenge!!!

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Health I’d like to see as not low health, so yea mid or high. As for mechanic I’d like to see a class that has a more “required” rotation, like the sin in GW1, or to a degree then dervish since to really min/max it you had to pay attention to what your enchanments did as you put them up and took them down through skills.

Edit: When I say like the sin/dervish, I don’t mean their mechanics. Just the general style they had.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Chrispy,
but a heavy armor profession who summons hmmm ….
then people would rage because more ai units clutter the screen. O_O

Sorin,
oooo i dun play assassin and dervish that much back in guild wars 1 so i dunno their style.

but for myself, previously, in my head, i thought of the new heavy armor profession in guild wars 2 as, well er, some thing like a heavy gunner type of profession.

like an engineer, can only equip 1 weapon, can use rifle only, but the essence of the rifle is drawn forth and a huge cannon is conjured up.

main focus is large scale aoe auto attacks.

i.e. the transformed cannon rifle skill 1 is an aoe attack, but it “auto attacks” once targeted.

imagine constantly spraying bullets into a 600 radius area over a 1,200 range.

Chrispy.5641

I don’t know. College doesn’t start back up for me for two more days, so I am bored enough to try to see how it could. (and I’ll also add to the list as far as not having AI clutter on the screen. Necromancers, Mesmers, and Rangers are bad enough with that already!)

Chrispy.5641

Also :::: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Introducing-the-Chronomancer/2589129

thats the most fully realized suggestion for a new profession of any kind currently on th forums

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I posted this on Jan 16th 2013.. so almost a year ago.

The missing Soldier profession should be a dark offensive magic theme to compliment the non-magic warrior and the Light defensive magic Guardian.
It would also compliment the other Dark professions of Necro/Thief.
Using the Dark offensive magic theme you could go for something with:

• Dark and Poison combo fields
  • Boon removal abilities
  • Confusion
  • Life Stealing
  • Chill
  • Water based healing
  • Medium base health (Guardians are low/Warriors high)

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Chrispy,
ah! college!
its good to be young!

hmmm ok i’ll use Theurigst and slap it to my profession.

he summons the spirit of the rifle and molds it into various weapons to use personally.

here goes:

Theurigst
medium health
heavy armor
1 weapon
can wield any weapons for cosmetic purposes, still get the same 20 weapon skills over f1 – 4 different forms.

“the Theurigst channels spirit energy to summon the ghostly spirit of the equipped weapon and molds into various gigantic battle weapons”
- the actual rifle hovers behind the back and the theurigst
- the theurigst wields the ghostly spirit of the weapon, transformed into weapons

f1 – f4
toggles between battle various transformations,
rifle skill 1 – 5 changes completely, like the elementalist
graphically the ghostly form of rifle changes shape as well

f1 – giant fists
melee skills
movement skills

f2 – whip
medium range skills

f3 – crossbow
long range skills

f4 – cannon
aoe siege skills

hmmm just some concept.
sounds like an elementalist? O_O

(edited by Deimos Tel Arin.7391)

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I want our existing professions to have the bugs worked out of them before we even think about new ones.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I definitely think there’s room for another heavy class. I think if we got one it would probably have its skills centred around debuffing or something like that, as we don’t have that in either Warrior or Guardian. I also think it would probably be a class with no weapon swapping – there’s one both the medium and light classes, so it’s like there’s this obvious gap in the heavy classes. I won’t venture to guess on the weapons, since others have come up with some great ideas, but I’d love to see this happen.

Can you imagine though? Lol, if ANet releases this, suddenly the starting areas will be jammed with everyone playing this new class. It would be interesting.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Also :::: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Introducing-the-Chronomancer/2589129

thats the most fully realized suggestion for a new profession of any kind currently on th forums

I agree- that is an amazingly well thought out idea and I would love to play one

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Azzer.8137

Azzer.8137

Personally i don’t want more heavies the 2 already is annoying (to me that is i personally just dislike heavy armor in games).

Gives us 1 more light or 1 more medium, like in GW1 where we had 2 heavies (more than enough) 4 medium and 4 light armor i want the game to do that again more heavies are not needed guardian and warrior already fits everything about heavies that we know of.

Posted by: Ookamikun.6472

Ookamikun.6472

Maybe a heavy armor but ranged-focused combatant.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Personally i don’t want more heavies the 2 already is annoying (to me that is i personally just dislike heavy armor in games).

Gives us 1 more light or 1 more medium, like in GW1 where we had 2 heavies (more than enough) 4 medium and 4 light armor i want the game to do that again more heavies are not needed guardian and warrior already fits everything about heavies that we know of.

There were 3 medium armor classes in gw1 dervish, assassin and ranger for base armor. 2 for heavy, warrior and paragon and the rest were light monk, ele, mesmer, necro and ritualist.

Keep in mind these are base armor and that every class had access to class specific and non class specific insignias for their armor and most people are running the base armor of a warrior and paragon (base armor value with their insignias), with over 500 HP in PvP in that game (people still play GvG in gw1) who also can raise their armor with inscriptions and a shield (although very specific on the inscriptions for the armor types). But every class could wield every weapon in the game regardless if they are the proper professions to do so.

Also I think it’s been said by ANet if they were to add another class to the game in the future it would be a heavy.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Ugh, the last thing this game needs is more melee…

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

3RD Heavy: Dragonslayer wielding Javelin and Shield. Paragon look-a-like

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Posted by: Shakkara.2641

Shakkara.2641

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs19/i/2007/282/b/7/Dark_Mage_by_alanlathwell.jpg

Dreadknight. Combination of dark magic and martial prowess. Where the guardian is sorta a good aligned character, this class is much more sinister.

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

You notice that none of the mediums have high health? I kind of wish ranger did, since it’s the only non-stealth melee medium class. Plus you back it up lorewise with them knowing natural remedies and herbs. Maybe I’m just asking too much, though.

Elthurien.8356

You notice that none of the mediums have high health? I kind of wish ranger did, since it’s the only non-stealth melee medium class. Plus you back it up lorewise with them knowing natural remedies and herbs. Maybe I’m just asking too much, though.

Not sure what the base health of Engineer or Ranger are, but I’ve reached about 30k with full PVT exotics on the Engineer and around 28k on the Ranger. My current Ranger build is 26k health with food.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I would like to use a sword or greatsword on my necromancer that would do AoE melee damage, and not just single-target like dagger.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Elthurien.8356

I would like to use a sword or greatsword on my necromancer that would do AoE melee damage, and not just single-target like dagger.

Indeed, I would like it to be viable to use a main hand with no offhand on my thief and have a full 5 abilities and not be kitten by the loss of offhand attributes. Bilbo Baggins only needed one sword.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

WTB Shadowknight type class. With useful defense. And a taunt. Oh lord that would be glorious.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Loved my Shadowknight in EQ2 .. until Rise of Kunark, when suddenly there were nearly no more AoE encounters

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’d tell you what I’d love to play. A Blacksmith. It would be sortof an artificer/warrior role to play for the most part but would have elements of the heavy classes such as high survival rating.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The Commando

wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commando

(have to copy and paste, my elderly iPad has a thing about links. :P )

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I’d tell you what I’d love to play. A Blacksmith. It would be sortof an artificer/warrior role to play for the most part but would have elements of the heavy classes such as high survival rating.

Eh… A blacksmith is a tradeskill, not a class. What you want is a Warrior/Mage that happens to also be a blacksmith.

I vote for Warrior-Mages. It’d basically be a heavy armor fighter class that dabbled in various arcane magics and used them in a self-supportive role. Not sure what they’d be called, I’m sure Anet could think of something.

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

A lot of these potential heavy classes are just describing what necros are supposed to do. Some they can, some they cant.

If they will make any new profession you need to consider what roles are not filled well and then focus on filling that. But it is difficult to really identify that IMO, many roles are already filled.

Posted by: Amere.9607

Amere.9607

we all need knights of cthulhu

Posted by: Shadowkiller.6725

Shadowkiller.6725

tengu samurai

15char

a lighter thief

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

I’d go with a Dark knight~ Heavy PBAoE non-damaging conditions. Doing mid-scale damage and utlizes more for holding and slowing down groups. Special can be clearing enemies condition but doing damage based on how much condition was cleared.

[DONE]

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Shapeshifters arent in the game, but i have no idea how it could be implemented in this combat system, especially as a heavy class.
The class should feel unique and if it can be made by adding a new weapon to an already existing profession, the design is failed (battlemage = ele with conjure weapons or with D/D).

Also, +1 for commando. <3

Posted by: Cain.6507

Cain.6507

My thoughts…

Medium health, lowest base toughness of the heavy armor classes,limited weapon set.

Hammer. Ranged auto attack 900 max, with a leap, pull, knock down, and a retreat. Max range damage is weaker than close range, no stat leaching over 600

Mace with axe or shield off hand. No ideas on these….

Condition heavy class, steals health when hit, and leaches random stats bonuses from those being hit. Parasitic healing could be the classes primary method of healing, such as marking his opponent and steal a percentage of the spike heal his opponent uses. Class utilities could be limited to PBAOEs and would allow for spike damage and condition damage. Uses shadow steps to close gaps, and could summon one or two minions to increase dps. Shouts would be an area based life leaching attach, with a 1200 range that would get stronger based on how far away the target was.

I think it would add to the combat system, having to balance your damage around your dwindling health pool.

It should have the lowest DPS of all the heavy class, but supplement it’s poor damage output buy the life stealing mechanic, and with every successful hit it lands it slowly starts growing stronger buy making you grow weaker. This this stat leaching mechanic would be random, it would make each encounter different.

Just my thoughts, would be fun though

Pliskade (Thief, retired, mostly)
Wombatanator (tiny Hammer Warior)
[worm] GoM

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

I love it how every dark knight fan describes the necro …

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

They should just bump engineers back up to heavy armor. and come up with another medium armor profession.

Engineers were originally conceived as heavy armor, not medium.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Give the engineers the ability to wear medium and heavy armor (choose one, no mix possible). If they wear heavy, they turn into heavy infantry, lose mobility but can wield a canon.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Basically a Deathknight is what most people here are dancing around.

Posted by: poziix.7285

poziix.7285

Engineers make sense as a heavy armor type. They could build fortifications and walls, as well as engineer improved armor through buffs and elixirs.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

Engineers make sense as a heavy armor type. They could build fortifications and walls, as well as engineer improved armor through buffs and elixirs.

yea that’s cool, i seem to recall that they were once heavies.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

My thoughts…

Medium health, lowest base toughness of the heavy armor classes,

Wanna touch on this. Every class has the same base stats (power, precision, vitality and toughness). This is of course excluding their base hp pool and armor ratings.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

why not a medium to high ranged heavy magic user? Javelins/spears/2h weapons/ sceptors/focus/staffs/bows. It could work. Medium hp mostly for dps.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Engineers being able to use medium and heavy armor (or any class for that matter) is not ever going to happen, not only for balance but for technical reasons. However engineers really do make a lot of sense as a heavy class. I would like to see them moved up to heavy, then implement the Golemancer as a medium class.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

I wouldn’t worry so much about the name as the mechanics. The mechanics will give rise to a name. Though I’m not sure what mechanics could be used.

No weapon swapping. Few weapon options. Mechanic using all the F1-F4 keys. Mechanic to change weapon skills using the same weapon, or to disregard weapons [ele, engi]. Underlings mechanic [necro, ranger], stealth/deception mechanics [mesmer, thief]. Some connection to the natural [ele, ranger]

I think that covers the mechanics not available in heavy but incorporated into both medium and light. I’d think a golemancer could do it all with golem minions and golem armor suits, but they seem traditionally lightly armored and pretty much asuran.

Another line of thought I’d gone over is… what if we revisit Cantha? What kind of heavy class would Cantha have?

shrug idk

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

okies, i’ll continue on my concept

Bladeshifter
medium health
heavy armor
1 weapon slot
greatsword only
spear only

“the Bladeshifter channels spirit energy to summon the ghostly spirit of the equipped weapon and molds into various gigantic battle weapons”
- the actual weapon hovers above the Bladeshifter
- the Bladeshifter wields the ghostly spirit of the weapon, transformed into weapons

f1 – f4 (10 seconds base recharge time, 1 second global recharge time)
toggles between battle various transformations,
weapon skills 1 – 5 changes completely, like the elementalist
graphically the ghostly form of weapon changes shape as well

f1 – fist
melee skills
movement skills
1. auto, 3 hit chain, 300 range, cleave

f2 – whip
medium range aoe skills
1. auto, 3 hit chain, 600 range, cleave

f3 – crossbow
long range skills
1. auto, 1,200 range, single target

f4 – cannon
long range aoe siege skills
1. auto, 1,200 range, 600 radius aoe

will dump more if i got more inspiration.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Heavy armor class, limited selection of weapons. 2 hand weapons, or if using 2 weapons, focus and torch only for off hand.

No weapon switching.

Mechanic: As they attack, they fill a meter (kind of like warriors or necromancers, yes, but wait). Let’s say the meter goes up to 10 (trait to make it go to eleven). Weapon skill 5 actually requires a certain amount of that meter to fuel it to summon a big summons. Maybe an actual creature, maybe just a big effect, I’m not sure, but it should be big, impressive, and of limited mobility.

Secondary Mechanic: Some skills can also use this meter, or have an altered effect based on how full it is. There can also be skills that help to fill the meter, much like some give a thief more initiative.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Not to be a wet blanket, but the chances of you guys getting a new class anytime soon (read: ever) are slim. Just look at how long it takes them to do anything not related to the Living Story and Gem Shop; new skills, trait adjustments, class balance, quality of life updates…they’re all VERY slow to be implemented. There have been few new armors added to the game, one new zone, no new races, etc. There are too many people working on cranking out LS content and not enough people doing anything else, so I wouldn’t hold my breath for a new class anytime soon.

With that out of the way, a Dark Knight class would just be a boring amalgamation of a warrior and a necromancer. That’s a big, fat “no thanks” from me on that one.