I tear through salvage kits way too fast!!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

I recently came back from a break. Been playing again for like a month.

Before my break I had a lot of Disasembler 3BEK Kits from before. I think I had 6 stacks of them in my bank or so. Well, they’re gone now. I distinctly remember back before my break, those things lasted a lot longer.

So lately I’ve been using Mystic Salvage Kits because I have a ton of Mystic Forge Stones from back when the dailies gave them frequently.

However, it seems like I will run out of Mystic Forge Stones at this rate because they are a lot more rare now.

And no I will not buy the copper fed kit.

Anyway I think all salvage kits should have their number of uses doubled. They were fine before but now we salvage a lot more than we used to.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Haven’t had an issues … on the other hand having a portal forge is very convenient.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

You get mystic stones from achievement chest. I have like 300 mystic stone right now and I use Mystic salvage kit on all my character. Just play the game and you should get more mystic stone than you use.

For the basic salvage kit, then it would be nice to have a recipe to craft a 250 use salvage kit I guess. But if you don’t want to buy a copper fed kit that’s kind of your problem. At 150 gold, it’s one of the best investment of the game. It’s just so nice. And it’s on sale sometime.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

You get mystic stones from achievement chest. I have like 300 mystic stone right now and I use Mystic salvage kit on all my character. Just play the game and you should get more mystic stone than you use.

For the basic salvage kit, then it would be nice to have a recipe to craft a 250 use salvage kit I guess. But if you don’t want to buy a copper fed kit that’s kind of your problem. At 150 gold, it’s one of the best investment of the game. It’s just so nice. And it’s on sale sometime.

Well if you compare it with Mystic Salvage kits it only breaks even after like 1,4million uses.. I’m gonna assume most players will never get that much… so it’s not that good of an investment.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

(edited by Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713)

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

Copper-fed salvager pays for itself. More then that it saves hours worth of buying salvage kits (or mystic toileting them).

Stating that you wont apply the solution to your problem in no way shifts it.

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

If you’re not going to buy the best/most convenient item for your issue I don’t see the point of this thread.

Tl;dr buy the copper fed salvage-o-matic.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You pay for the convenience its the same with the infinite harvesting tools not many will use them enough so they pay for themselfs but they could if they liked.

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

Well, given he lives rare salvaging kits, a more effective comparison may be the silver-fed salvager.

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

Imo the best investment you can make is buy a copper fed salvage o matic for green and lower gear, and have a mystic salvage kit for yellows, and a black lion kit for most exotics.

The kits will then last you around 1~2 months

Posted by: jblade.6470

jblade.6470

Also, for me at least, I didn’t look at the copper fed salvage-o-matic in it’s cost of gold. I looked at it as $10 and had leftovers instead of eating out that week. Practically free to me then. Had since it came out and is well worth every penny.
Also use Mythic Kits for rares/exotics due to stacks of stones in my bank and have an entire tab of those black lion kits as well I could use. All free from getting AP and daily chests.

Khristophoros.7194

I said I don’t want the copper fed kit. Stop telling me to buy it. If you are only here to tell me to buy it just go away.

Khristophoros.7194

How many? My last chest didn’t give me too many IIRC. I’m nearing my next chest but I’m concerned that it won’t give me enough stones.

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

I said I don’t want the copper fed kit. Stop telling me to buy it. If you are only here to tell me to buy it just go away.

What exactly are you hoping to hear then?

Thaddeus.4891

How many? My last chest didn’t give me too many IIRC. I’m nearing my next chest but I’m concerned that it won’t give me enough stones.

5 per chest, 10 per large chest, 15 per heavy chest and 25 per massive chest. By the time you get to 5k AP you should have around 100.

My question is do you use mystic salvage kit just for exotic and rare or for everything? Because 100 mystic stone is about 33 mystic salvage kit. When I was in farming mode at Silverwaste I was able to go througth 1 kit per week, but that was crazy time. I usually go througth 1 per months, which mean that I always have more stone than I need.

But if you salvage with them a lot, you man not receive enough stone.

Khristophoros.7194

5 per chest, 10 per large chest, 15 per heavy chest and 25 per massive chest. By the time you get to 5k AP you should have around 100.

My question is do you use mystic salvage kit just for exotic and rare or for everything? Because 100 mystic stone is about 33 mystic salvage kit. When I was in farming mode at Silverwaste I was able to go througth 1 kit per week, but that was crazy time. I usually go througth 1 per months, which mean that I always have more stone than I need.

I use them for everything. The extra coin from vendoring minor sigils/runes is kinda nice. Mostly I just don’t like to carry around basic kits though because they only have 25 uses. 50 uses on basics would be nice considering we do more salvaging these days compared to the old days.

Also I play on 5 different characters so moving a copper fed kit between them would not be convenient.

(edited by Khristophoros.7194)

Linken.6345

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge_Stone

Looks like you get
5 for a normal
10 for large
15 for heavy
25 for a massive

Edit
You also have a chance to get 1 at days 4, 11, 18, and 25. login reward.

Maybe they should add in mystic forge stones as a option in the 28 day chest.

(edited by Linken.6345)

Khristophoros.7194

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge_Stone

Looks like you get
5 for a normal
10 for large
15 for heavy
25 for a massive

That isn’t gonna cut it. I see I’ll be using basic kits again soon.

Thaddeus.4891

I use them for everything. The extra coin from vendoring minor sigils/runes is kinda nice. Mostly I just don’t like to carry around basic kits though because they only have 25 uses. 50 uses on basics would be nice considering we do more salvaging these days compared to the old days.

Also I play on 5 different characters so moving a copper fed kit between them would not be convenient.

Ok, then yes you won’t be able to get enough mystic stone. Personnally, I put 10$ per month on the game just to do my part. So I bought 1 copper fed when it first came out and 2 more when they were on sale. I keep 2 on my 2 main and the third one change depending on which character I play in pvp. Basic kit are kind of a pain for my other character, but I rarely play more than 3 character on a regular basis, so it’s not a big deal.

But they should definitively add some recipe to make a 250 basic salvage kit.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I also play 5 different characters. And having the copper-fed kit has been a tremendous relief. It’s not that difficult, nor time consuming to transfer it between characters. At least for me, I leave all my characters parked in LA, and move them where I need to be. So I basically I log into a character next to the bank, grab the kit, go do what I need to do, go back to LA and drop the kit and switch characters. Easy Peasy.

But I do appreciate that you have an aversion to it, but many of your problems can be solved with such a kit. If you feel that the kit isn’t worthwhile, that is your decision. But in the end you can’t complain for choosing not using a major convience tool. I suppose you have to weigh the cost of purchasing multiple basic kits/mystic kits over and over, as well as inventory managment vs. having a single item that is easily transferable and readily available.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

If you’re using mystic kits on salvaging greens and justifying it by the extra coin from vendoring minor runes/sigils, you’re wasting money.

Basic Kits cost 3.5c per use. Copper fed costs 3c per use. If you use gold to buy gems to get it, your issue with limited number of uses is solved AND you will get that money back eventually. Why you’re so adamant against a copper fed is a little odd since that is the solution to the problem you’re complaining about. If you think moving a single copper fed between multiple characters is inconvenient, then you’ll have to weigh the inconvenience of buying multiple salvage kits all the time vs moving a single kit (or buy multiple copper feds).

As for some numbers, I have tracked salvages on 4,995,572 items. This does not include the blue and green drops that I salvage as well. At a savings of .5c per salvage, this has saved me 247g 77s 86c on these items.

If you’re going for best cost efficiency:
Copper Fed: Blues and Greens
Master’s/Mystic’s: lvl 68+ rares under the cost of ectos and mats salvaged times 0.85
Black Lion: Exotics with valuable sigils and runes.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

It’s not bad moving stuff between characters once you get into a rutine. I have 11 80s that share 4 20 slots bags, both infinite salvage kit, portal stone, airship pass, all infinite gathering tools, full ascended gear, food, potions, goodies, and toys.

I have the top two back slots for shared items. When I go to log out I hit the bank and it all goes back in the same place for the next toon.

Khristophoros.7194

If you’re using mystic kits on salvaging greens and justifying it by the extra coin from vendoring minor runes/sigils, you’re wasting money.

Basic Kits cost 3.5c per use. Copper fed costs 3c per use. If you use gold to buy gems to get it, your issue with limited number of uses is solved AND you will get that money back eventually. Why you’re so adamant against a copper fed is a little odd since that is the solution to the problem you’re complaining about. If you think moving a single copper fed between multiple characters is inconvenient, then you’ll have to weigh the inconvenience of buying multiple salvage kits all the time vs moving a single kit (or buy multiple copper feds).

As for some numbers, I have tracked salvages on 4,995,572 items. This does not include the blue and green drops that I salvage as well. At a savings of .5c per salvage, this has saved me 247g 77s 86c on these items.

Master’s/Mystic’s: lvl 68+ rares under the cost of ectos and mats salvaged times 0.85

As somebody said already, it takes far too many salvages for the copper fed kit to pay for its initial cost.

You also forget that after most things I’ll need to go to a merchant in order to vendor junk and I can buy the basic kits at said merchant to salvage all my stuff. The extra step of going to the bank for the copper fed kit is inconvenient.

The reason I like the mystic kits is I can salvage stuff in the middle of a dungeon or fractal before I go back to the merchants. So I’d have to go to the bank before each dungeon or fractal if I used a copper fed kit.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Imo you’ve been using a scarce resource (mystic and black lion kits) very wastefully if you’ve been using salvage kits that’s unusual to get (black lion kits) or requires a scarce resource (forge stones) to salvage everything. That was not their intended purpose and by using them as you have been, you’ve now run out.

Even if they doubled the number of salvages per kit it wouldn’t solve your problem if you’re going through salvages that fast. It will only put it off a bit and then you’ll be in the same spot you are now. Since other people aren’t having your problem (if they did, the forums would be full of threads about it) this means that ANet is unlikely to increase the kit sizes based on your one request.

So, you now have a couple of choices. You can buy large numbers of kits from merchants with karma or gold and carry them around or you can buy a copper or silver fed and use that. It may be inconvenient to switch it between chars, (I put mine in the bank at the end of each day and pick it it at the start) but those are essentially your choices.

If you want to buy kits with karma, the racial cities have merchants that sell cultural weapons for karma. They also sell the basic kit for a few karma. The char T3 cultural weapon seller also sells a fine kit that has 25 uses for a bit more karma. You can buy 4 of these and you’ll have 100 uses for 4 inventory slots.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

What you want is convenience, and only convenience.

Copper-fed salvage o matic is there for convenience. If you want convenience, pay for it. Anet don’t need to change anything about it.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I do wish hey can give us a slightly easier way to move these tools, but most time, i end a section with going to my borders, or moving to a map area with a user bank, like lionarch, or something easier like in the 5 beginner area maps.
Mostly, the mystic salvage kits wont be easy to keep up the use, I actually just made my 3rd one recently, and the tools might go a bit faster then it used to. You now just need to figure out what will be best for you, using this info you got from us.

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

to me this is not a valid point. you spends the same amount of time running to a vendor in DR or LA to restock. there is no difference between you hitting a merchant to buy or make new kits as it is for you to hit the bank, pickup the kit, then return it at the end of your run…

Khristophoros.7194

Imo you’ve been using a scarce resource (mystic and black lion kits) very wastefully if you’ve been using salvage kits that’s unusual to get (black lion kits) or requires a scarce resource (forge stones) to salvage everything. That was not their intended purpose and by using them as you have been, you’ve now run out.

Even if they doubled the number of salvages per kit it wouldn’t solve your problem if you’re going through salvages that fast. It will only put it off a bit and then you’ll be in the same spot you are now. Since other people aren’t having your problem (if they did, the forums would be full of threads about it) this means that ANet is unlikely to increase the kit sizes based on your one request.

So, you now have a couple of choices. You can buy large numbers of kits from merchants with karma or gold and carry them around or you can buy a copper or silver fed and use that. It may be inconvenient to switch it between chars, (I put mine in the bank at the end of each day and pick it it at the start) but those are essentially your choices.

If you want to buy kits with karma, the racial cities have merchants that sell cultural weapons for karma. They also sell the basic kit for a few karma. The char T3 cultural weapon seller also sells a fine kit that has 25 uses for a bit more karma. You can buy 4 of these and you’ll have 100 uses for 4 inventory slots.

I don’t use black lion kits for anything besides getting upgrades I want to keep out of exotics.

I use mystic kits for everything because I still have a lot of mystic forge stones, but it seems I will run out eventually.

I don’t think it’s wasteful to use mystic forge stones in this way because the only other use is mystic forge substitution and I’m not going to get a precursor, let’s be real.

Linken.6345

As somebody said already, it takes far too many salvages for the copper fed kit to pay for its initial cost.

You also forget that after most things I’ll need to go to a merchant in order to vendor junk and I can buy the basic kits at said merchant to salvage all my stuff. The extra step of going to the bank for the copper fed kit is inconvenient.

The reason I like the mystic kits is I can salvage stuff in the middle of a dungeon or fractal before I go back to the merchants. So I’d have to go to the bank before each dungeon or fractal if I used a copper fed kit.

Thats abit of a strech you have to do it once every character login are you saying you switch character every dungeon or fractal run?

Khristophoros.7194

to me this is not a valid point. you spends the same amount of time running to a vendor in DR or LA to restock. there is no difference between you hitting a merchant to buy or make new kits as it is for you to hit the bank, pickup the kit, then return it at the end of your run…

I need to go to the merchant either way to sell junk.

Khristophoros.7194

Thats abit of a strech you have to do it once every character login are you saying you switch character every dungeon or fractal run?

Yes. I switch characters frequently since I get bored easily.

Linken.6345

I do wish hey can give us a slightly easier way to move these tools, but most time, i end a section with going to my borders, or moving to a map area with a user bank, like lionarch, or something easier like in the 5 beginner area maps.
Mostly, the mystic salvage kits wont be easy to keep up the use, I actually just made my 3rd one recently, and the tools might go a bit faster then it used to. You now just need to figure out what will be best for you, using this info you got from us.

You could just hit the cross swords go into the mist lobby from anywere and you got a bank there.

Linken.6345

Well if you switch that regularly and I guess you got 20 slot bags right on all chars?
You would never have to salvage in the middle of a dungeon since you wont fill up your bags.
Fractals you only need to relog and get out to la and sell anyway.
Edit
So this thread was kinda pointless since by your own admition you dont have a trubble to go to merchants and buy kits, you switch chars so frequently anyway so you never have time to hit the bag slots cap.

(edited by Linken.6345)

Khristophoros.7194

Well if you switch that regularly and I guess you got 20 slot bags right on all chars?
You would never have to salvage in the middle of a dungeon since you wont fill up your bags.
Fractals you only need to relog and get out to la and sell anyway.

Yeah I have 20 slot bags on them but sometimes it’s nice to thin out the inventory a bit.

So yeah I don’t absolutely need to carry salvage kits on me so if I run out of stones I’ll just be doing it when I merchant. It won’t be THAT bad but I will miss having 250 use kits.

Thaddeus.4891

Not really. I salvage everything and deposit. Not much junk accumulate in those situation. I usually just sell stuff when I pass near a vendor or when I do my crafting.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

You described your problem, and rejected the obvious solution all in one breath. Gem Store items are meant to convenience. You seem to desire said convenience, but aren’t willing to pay the price.

To use a real world analogy, it’s like saying you have an addiction to gambling and are seeking help, but you won’t stop gambling.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Khristophoros.7194

Not really. I salvage everything and deposit. Not much junk accumulate in those situation. I usually just sell stuff when I pass near a vendor or when I do my crafting.

I do a lot of dungeons and fractals. I get some vendor junk every time.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t use black lion kits for anything besides getting upgrades I want to keep out of exotics.

I use mystic kits for everything because I still have a lot of mystic forge stones, but it seems I will run out eventually.

I don’t think it’s wasteful to use mystic forge stones in this way because the only other use is mystic forge substitution and I’m not going to get a precursor, let’s be real.

If it’s not wasteful to use up your scarce mystic forge stones by salvaging greens and blues, then you wouldn’t be in danger of running out. You would be getting enough. As you yourself admitted in your title, you’re going through them too fast.

People are giving you suggestions as to what to do but you are refusing each of them. ANet is not going to increase salvage kit sizes based on your one request, not when they know you have other options which you are refusing.

Your options, once you run out of mystic kits because you salvaged blues and greens with them, buy regular kits or buy a copper fed. If you won’t buy a copper fed, then you’ll have to buy lots of regular kits. You can buy 25 use fine kits with karma. I suggest you look into that.

ANet may give it to you.

Khristophoros.7194

You described your problem, and rejected the obvious solution all in one breath. Gem Store items are meant to convenience. You seem to desire said convenience, but aren’t willing to pay the price.

To use a real world analogy, it’s like saying you have an addiction to gambling and are seeking help, but you won’t stop gambling.

If you read the thread you would see that the copper fed kit isn’t convenient for my playstyle, so get off your high horse please.

Linken.6345

If you read the thread you would see that the copper fed kit isn’t convenient for my playstyle, so get off your high horse please.

ofcourse it is you just dont want it to be, you can get to a bank from anywere free of charge by going to pvp lobby the crossed sword top left corner.
You can even sell there to the laurel merchant.
What you cant do is equip your tools but thats a small price to pay to access bank from anywere right?

5 characters is nothing I have 7 80s and a 29 that all use the same 3 harvesting tools and salvageomatic.

Khristophoros.7194

ofcourse it is you just dont want it to be, you can get to a bank from anywere free of charge by going to pvp lobby the crossed sword top left corner.
You can even sell there to the laurel merchant.
What you cant do is equip your tools but thats a small price to pay to access bank from anywere right?

5 characters is nothing I have 7 80s and a 29 that all use the same 3 harvesting tools and salvageomatic.

After a fractal I have access to merchants in the fractal instance without having to wait on a loading screen, but no bank. So it is more convenient to just buy some basic kits at the merchant at the end of the fractal. I can process my whole inventory right there.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Simply buy multiple Copper Feds to equip your multiple characters. Anet offers the solution to you. Now you need to make the choice or accepting it.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

You could just hit the cross swords go into the mist lobby from anywere and you got a bank there.

I always seem to forget the pvp arena for banks also, lol.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

There is no chance (nor reason) that Anet would even consider this request (to change the number of Salvages a kit offers). There are numerous other solutions to the OPs issue.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Khristophoros.7194

There is no chance (nor reason) that Anet would even consider this request (to change the number of Salvages a kit offers). There are numerous other solutions to the OPs issue.

There is a good reason. The fact that people salvage much more than when the kits were first designed.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I honestly have an equal if not better rate for getting ectos from rares with the blue salvage kit (fine) over the mystic or the merchant rare variety.

Basic salvage kit (or Salvage-o-matic) = Blues and greens
Fine (or Mystic Salvage Kit) = Rares and crappy exotics
BLSK = Only when I want the rune or sigil.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

You can delete the junk rather than selling it to a vender. I do this all the time. But there is no solution for your problem. If there was, nobody would buy the copper fed o matic. So they won’t be increasing the stack size anytime soon of salvage kits. You’re best off closing the thread at this point.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

There is a good reason. The fact that people salvage much more than when the kits were first designed.

They do this for the magic find generally. My suggestion is to just sell every light/heavy armor and weapons on the TP (medium armor can just be sold). Access is easy enough from most places by going to the mists or WvW borderlands. You will have enough to convert gold to gems and buy the copper-fed in no time. If you still don’t want to buy it then it is your loss.

As for myself I have bought 3 of them for my main characters and I am quite happy. To each their own.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Once you’ve used up all your mystic kits by salvaging those blues and greens, all you need to do is stock up at the end of each day when you last visit a merchant and if needed while playing you can go to PvP or WvW and buy the kits you need then leave and return to the site you left. Easy peasy. No need for ANet to change kits to accommodate you.

ANet may give it to you.

Khristophoros.7194

They do this for the magic find generally. My suggestion is to just sell every light/heavy armor and weapons on the TP (medium armor can just be sold). Access is easy enough from most places by going to the mists or WvW borderlands. You will have enough to convert gold to gems and buy the copper-fed in no time. If you still don’t want to buy it then it is your loss.

As for myself I have bought 3 of them for my main characters and I am quite happy. To each their own.

“Just don’t gain magic find anymore”

lol ok

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

“Just don’t gain magic find anymore”

lol ok

Not till you get the copper-fed. Then again I am starting to think this less a question on how to help a fellow player out (to which you got more enough replies) and more a whine about the game not being fair.

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)