I think I deserve some sort of Medal!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

My Ranger just turned 80 with 0 deaths yay! All done thru playing the game, no crafting, no cheating. But it kinda feels hollow, no recognition of any kind and I think there should be. IMO, something like this is more worthy of Survivor title than the way it’s gotten atm.

Attachments:

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

GZ, Maybe I should try going that on a character like that. I’ll probably only make it to 8 though :p Or 20 with a scroll.

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

You should get a medal for bothering to level a ranger now :P

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Ahhhh! CongRats!

Now you can try and get to 80 only from the Tutorial
Make me proud!

But I do believe that you do deserve a title for such a challenge.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Tiger Ashante.1792

Lol, how do u mean from the Tutorial? If you mean by repeating it, well you can only do it once on any given char?

Tiger Ashante.1792

Well to be honest, I love rangers, i think they’re awesome! then only thing, wish L/bow was a bit faster but it’s much better than it used to be.
In gw1 i had 3 rangers lol. granted one of them was purely pvp. in gw2 this is my 2nd ranger as well so yea… love them xD.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

I hereby award you a Medal of Ranger Leveling.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Now the real challenge: Map completion.

Ahhhh! CongRats!

Now you can try and get to 80 only from the Tutorial
Make me proud!

But I do believe that you do deserve a title for such a challenge.

You mean like this? (I have an Experience Scroll, but I will not use it on this character.)

Attachments:

Navzar.2938

OMG It’s like LDoA all over again… but with much much less freedom.

Esplen.3940

My image is named LDoS[haemoor]. Almost level 6!

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I created a challenge thread a few months back challenging people to do this exact thing (the LDoA part, not leveling to 80 with 0 deaths.)

Make meh proud!

Navzar.2938

So what do we give this guy? Pool him some money? XD

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

Well, the game have a “survival” achievement, but it’s 2 tiers req. are so low that nobody notice it any way!:P

Cgrz mate!

Esplen.3940

It takes about 1m18s to clear a circle. You kill 22 mobs in the process.

If we do the math, let’s round and assume you miss a few and are a tad slow, which means it takes you 1.5 minutes to clear (1m30s) and you kill 20 mobs.

You need to kill 1620119.67 mobs (at the rate of 3 exp per mob) to hit level 80.

Once you do the maths (too lazy to write it out here) you end up with 2025.14958 hours to hit level 80.

Assuming you play 8 hours a day, it’ll take you 253.143698 days.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

No achievement because Anet doesn’t want to torment its players with Survivor anymore. Sure it was optional but it still had the power to entrap peoples’ minds into an unhealthy obsession. You did win a nice screenshot to keep around though.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Impressive! I die all the time with all of my characters. I am simply not made for hardcore modes.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Esplen.3940

Lol, how do u mean from the Tutorial? If you mean by repeating it, well you can only do it once on any given char?

You can repeat it, just logout during the cutscene of the boss death. I don’t remember if the boss gives experience, though. My PC loads maps slow, so it’s slower to do that unless the boss gives 100+exp, which I doubt he does.

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

My Ranger just turned 80 with 0 deaths yay! All done thru playing the game, no crafting, no cheating. But it kinda feels hollow, no recognition of any kind and I think there should be. IMO, something like this is more worthy of Survivor title than the way it’s gotten atm.

Tell your ranger to bend over and I will give her a medal.

vvuevv

Posted by: Ragnarawk.8697

Ragnarawk.8697

Actually, for perma-death players, that is quite the achievement. A max level character is a treasured acquisition. Grats to you, and don’t die!

Tiger Ashante.1792

Actually, for perma-death players, that is quite the achievement. A max level character is a treasured acquisition. Grats to you, and don’t die!

Haha, tyvm, i wish now there was some way of tracking how many lvls equivalent u gain post lvl 80. Does anyone know of a way of doing that other than skill point count? I haven’t unlocked all my skills yet so it may be a bit hard to keep track of it that way.

Navzar.2938

If you don’t use any + skill point items, you can go by skill points.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Now go to WvW or sPvP and see your deaths rack up…

You should not get any achievement for this, its sooo easy to do…

Now if you got the dungeon master title without dieing, that would be good…

Tiger Ashante.1792

Lol, w/ever, i guess some ppl are hard to impress xD, but i’ll try at least getting 100% with 0 deaths, don’t fancy my chances but hey nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

That’s awesome! You should definitely get something to show for it.

At launch I thought about trying this because I really enjoyed playing Survivor in GW1 (see attachment) but I haven’t started yet.

As for LDoA there is (or was) a guy on Desolation doing exactly that in the human starter instance. Last time I looked he was level 65 but he’s probably gotten a lot higher now. I’ve heard there was someone doing it in the sylvari instance on another server too

But I can’t see it ever being as popular as LDoA because that grew out of people just wanting to stay in pre-searing Ascalon because they liked the zone so much. The instances in GW2 are a lot smaller and don’t have nearly as much to do so I don’t think it would have the same appeal. It definitely doesn’t for me.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Tiger Ashante.1792

That’s awesome! You should definitely get something to show for it.

At launch I thought about trying this because I really enjoyed playing Survivor in GW1 (see attachment) but I haven’t started yet.

As for LDoA there is (or was) a guy on Desolation doing exactly that in the human starter instance. Last time I looked he was level 65 but he’s probably gotten a lot higher now. I’ve heard there was someone doing it in the sylvari instance on another server too

But I can’t see it ever being as popular as LDoA because that grew out of people just wanting to stay in pre-searing Ascalon because they liked the zone so much. The instances in GW2 are a lot smaller and don’t have nearly as much to do so I don’t think it would have the same appeal. It definitely doesn’t for me.

Hah tnx wow, its been a while since I played gw1 but its so nice to see those titles again. I got my Legendary Survivor on my Paragon. It took 3-4 months of solid (careful) gameplay. I basically finished Nightfall, Cantha and fair bit of Eye of the North. But oh boy, after getting 1.3 mil exp i began to feel really nervous i’d suddenly make a mistake and die lol or something freaky would happen like getting disconnected in middle of combat and find myself dead when i log back in and having to start all over again. I even began to dream about it xD. But thank god, i made it in the end and it was the best feeling ever!

I got the LDoA on my ele. She spent almost a year in pre-searing Ascalon. She got to lvl 14…almost 15 but there was no way i was getting that title via death lvling. I had death leveled a couple of pets which was bad enough but getting that title in that manner sounded positively awful. Then just as i was getting itchy feet and getting ready to leave, Anet introduces a new way of getting that title…vial questing. I was so thrilled and it only took me a month or so to get it.

So yea, after all those difficulties in gw1, getting the survivor in gw2 seems kinda lame tbh. I got mine and don’t ask me how, i think i got it while leveling my main’s crafting lol.

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

and now u can try out wvw….

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Lol, w/ever, i guess some ppl are hard to impress xD, but i’ll try at least getting 100% with 0 deaths, don’t fancy my chances but hey nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I play a lot of other games hardcore so yes I am hard to impress…would love a true hardcore server in GW2 but never going to happen…

But anyway good luck getting 100%…

Esplen.3940

I got LDoA from the Christmas (I think) capturing Aatxes essences or something or other.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Congrats now try doing it on a Thief or Ele in PvE…

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

This reminds of the days I spent in faction levelling a character to like.. 18 wi out deaths by doing EVERY mission and quest on Shing Jea. Then I’d die on ZulDaijun or w/e it’s called and cry about it :c

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Gratz, OP. Don’t let the naysayers get you down. It’s quite the achievement.

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

^This.

Posted by: theguildless.1386

theguildless.1386

Congrats sir! I am working on a similar goal; getting world completion without dying. Now if I only stopped trying to solo stuff above my level all the time…

Always question your assumptions.
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

My death count usually outnumbers hours played per character.

The Burninator

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Mostly because that’s not difficult, just very time consuming.

It’s not difficult to avoid any deaths while leveling in PvE, with any class. But often it’s too time consuming and downright boring to guarantee it. Personally I find it a lot more fun to just play normally and take the odd death as it comes. The 100% safe route can be very restricting and very “unfun”.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

You’ve obviously not witnessed the full potential of the 20/25/0/25/0 build.

My death count usually outnumbers hours played per character.

That’s not sad. That’s “for science!”

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Were you actively working on not dying? Anyway though, congratulations, I am interested in trying this now.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

But how many innocent animals were harmed/sent to their deaths? I congratulate you on your accomplishment, but I bet it has already been done illegally by the roaming armies of bot rangers from last year. Yours sounds like a legitimate effort though, so congrats

And yea survivor title might be cool here, but keep in mind this game is much less solo than gw1 (disregarding npc hero/hench). People who are trying not to die arent always fun to play with in mmos, as they may avoid risking their life to help other players in a reasonable scenario, and may ‘pull the plug’ if close to death. I am not at all accusing you of this, but I think some of the expected MMO cooperation is possibly sacrificed by adding survivor title.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

(edited by Celtus.8456)

Tiger Ashante.1792

Were you actively working on not dying? Anyway though, congratulations, I am interested in trying this now.

Actually. at first i wasn’t. I jokingly thought to myself lets see if i can make it to lvl 10 without dying , then every 10 lvl or so i’d say the same thing lol. But when i hit 40+ without dying i started to think that i should try for 80.

Until that decision, i wasn’t hugely cautious, certainly nothing like i was when doing survivor title in gw1. For eg: i went and did that event chain in Harathi when i wasn’t even lvl 40 and mobs there were lvl 42-3 so yea it was risky, but i went to discover the wp there and got caught up in the event. I also did Shatterer as well as i was completing Blazeridge, but once i made the decision to really go for it, i did become more careful, like avoiding vistas that cold kill me if i fall and avoiding group events if there was no one around.

I have lvled up 8 other characters to lvl 80 with 100% map completions so that kind of experience helps, knowing the maps and mobs and also knowing when to fight and when to run. I had a few hairy moments though, where i got downed in some events, but managed to rally back. So this one of those times when i really appreciated the downed system lol.

One example how easily u can die by getting over confident, or careless in this case, was in Dieassa platteau. I was lvl 79 at this point and it was an event not far from breached wall where 2 catapults spawn and tons of separatists that attack this outpost. I was on my own there, just wanted to id the place for map completion really but got caught up in the event and got mobbed as those separatists spawn like crazy. so it was a bit of a phew moment lol.

Some people have said it’s no big deal what i did, that it’s easy and should try do harder stuff like dungeons and WvW, but i don’t think those places are for trying to go for survivor. And sure, perhaps it’s not as bigger a time sink as it was was in gw1 and as a result not as difficult, but it’s not a matter of that in the end. It’s like i said, it’s being able to focus and be aware of ur surroundings all the time, that takes a toll and puts a constant strain on u, as suddenly, u have to think about every action u do b4 u do it and weigh out the risks.

Tiger Ashante.1792

This is not meant as a brag, just a little update.
My ranger has now gained equivalent 20 more lvls still 0 deaths. got just over 50% map exploration. last one i completed was Frostgorge sound and even did Jormag event! Ofc, she’s fully geared in exotics now and that gave me confidence i could handle the event.

Edit: ugh correction, just checked she’s actually done 60% world completion yay! hehe

(edited by Tiger Ashante.1792)

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I hit 80 on my Elementalist with 0 deaths. Then I ran CoF part 2 (The old version) and people told me to suicide and I was flipping out hardcore. I finally decided since I wasn’t gonna get recognition for it anyway, I did what I said and let the monsters kill me.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Tiger Ashante.1792

Aww, that’s terrible lol. Why would u do that? it just shows you, u should never listen to strangers xD.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I actually didn’t know about the strategy where you die, waypoint, and then run back and die again so you could get past that area easily. I thought it was just going to be a nice little dungeon run. And yeah, peer pressure

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

This is not meant as a brag, just a little update.
My ranger has now gained equivalent 20 more lvls still 0 deaths. got just over 50% map exploration. last one i completed was Frostgorge sound and even did Jormag event! Ofc, she’s fully geared in exotics now and that gave me confidence i could handle the event.

Edit: ugh correction, just checked she’s actually done 60% world completion yay! hehe

100% map exploration without dying would be pretty epic.