I think that Lemongrass is too powerful

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

This allows people with certain traits to become immune to movement based conditions, please lower it to 20% or add a global cool-down so it only reduces one condition by 40% every 5 seconds.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Dacollo’s daily food complaint thread! Brought to you in part by, Lion’s Arch McDonald’s, I’m loving it!

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Daecollo.9578

They did it to my Omnomberrys, i’m doing it to Lemongrassers

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

They did it to my Omnomberrys, i’m doing it to Lemongrassers

I’m just messing with ya D, Lemongrass really is one of the best foods out there atm.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I recommend they change all food to melba toast.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Daecollo.9578

There is no reason Lemongrass should be 2x better then all the other foods.

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rare_Veggie_Pizza

Not seeing the huge (2x) difference here.

Daecollo.9578

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rare_Veggie_Pizza

Not seeing the huge (2x) difference here.

It reduces duration after all buffs.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Lemongrass Poultry Soup and Veggie Pizzas are by far the strongest foods in the game, by a pretty wide margin. There’s good reason to beat this horse.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Have you leveled Cooking?

I’m surprised by your late reaction. Lemongrass Poultry Soup has been around for a while but you’re just now noticing it?

Hey, how about Orrian Truffle and Meat stew? Or the mentioned Rare Veggie Pizza? The Seaweed Salad is also a pretty good food too.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

let me cook that for you.

Posted by: daver.8324

daver.8324

Thing about food in GW2 no chance to get salmonella or botulism and the like. Should be a % chance to get some form of food poisoning, more if the food was from someone else.

Leo G.4501

Expiration date on food? With the exception of the TP, of course…they use refrigeration

Seriously, if you eat garlic bread you found dropped in a tomb, you should pay for it…

Daecollo.9578

This food really needs toned down.

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Shhh, I’m having fun throwing 8 second bolas.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Goose.9317

Goose.9317

WTF is lemongrass anyways? is it lemon or is it grass? Whats with all these puzzles Arenanet? I just want to sit in Lions Arch with nothing to do in peace, i don’t play this game to be confused.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

This is a food that I’m definitely expecting to be nerfed. Really should be for how it messes with a lot of game mechanics.

It’s even worse when combined with melandru runes, even moreso worse with traits that reduce duration besides. The runes and traits seem to be okay for the choices made, not saying those need to be nerfed as they seem to go in traitlines that need this…runes ditto for the sacrifice.

The food is way over the top though, especially due to the additive nature.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

WTF is lemongrass anyways? is it lemon or is it grass? Whats with all these puzzles Arenanet? I just want to sit in Lions Arch with nothing to do in peace, i don’t play this game to be confused.

You’re in luck, then…the chaps over at the Mesmer sub-forum are saying Confusion has been removed from the game.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

There is nothing wrong with lemongrass and poultry soup.

Before you people start harping on me using it, I have never used it because it does not fit with my WvW build.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Daecollo.9578

There is nothing wrong with lemongrass and poultry soup.

Before you people start harping on me using it, I have never used it because it does not fit with my WvW build.

Its way too powerful.

Posted by: GamerToukotsu.4219

GamerToukotsu.4219

I think this particular food hampers condition builds only, and it has to be used a very specific way.

You have to combine it with traits, runes, and itself to make it really overpowered. The real issue is there are no runes that increase condition duration as much as Melandru runes do, so maybe adding an additional set of runes to counteract the Menaldru runes would be the way to go without nerfing a food item. While nerfing the item would be the fastest, it would ultimately just band-aid fix the problem.

With adding an additional rune set this would off-set the balance and neither food item would be over powered, it would all be based on CHOICES of the player. If player A uses Melandru Runes, Lemongrass, and is specced that way and Player B is specced the complete opposite it would counter balance the two making them ultimately equal in the long term.

Direct damage is still 50x more powerful than condition damage in all aspects of the game.

Illusory Ally [TFD]
Illusionary Ally [TFD]
Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbopogon

Now you can be confused in real life, as well.

Leo G.4501

The real issue is there are no runes that increase condition duration as much as Melandru runes do, so maybe adding an additional set of runes to counteract the Menaldru runes would be the way to go without nerfing a food item.

There are also no runes that decrease condition duration as much as a Giver’s weapon…at least for only that one slot. Technically, you can use a Giver’s Weapon + a Sigil of [insert condition] for 20% duration for all conditions and 30% for a specific condition.

But Lemongrass Poultry Soup is a pure defensive food. Don’t see a reason it should be decreased unless there is no way the devs are going to buff conditions. It’s already known that conditions were a problem before this food became popular, so conditions should be fixed, not the food that helps counter them.

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Sorry to “feed” this thread, but -condition duration is actually more powerful than +condition duration. If I have a 4 second bleed skill and add +40% condition duration to, it will tick 5 times instead of 4. On the other hand, if a 4 second bleed skill is countered by -40% condition duration, it will tick 2 times instead of 4.

I’ve never tested what would happen if both foods were used at once on the same 4 second bleed, but I believe it would be 5.6 – (5.6 × .4) = 3.36 seconds. In other words, if both food types are used, they would not cancel each other out; lemongrass would win by a huge margin.

tl;dr—if anyone understood how good lemongrass is, they’d stop dying to my condition builds in WvW.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

but not all conditions tick by the second: cripple, stun, confusion, chilled. you do make a good point, though.
I’m having a really hard time seeing how a food is OP while the only thing it works against is also OP… then again, maybe both should be nerfed for that reason: you shouldn’t be forced to use something just to survive.

Leo G.4501

I’ve never tested what would happen if both foods were used at once on the same 4 second bleed, but I believe it would be 5.6 – (5.6 × .4) = 3.36 seconds. In other words, if both food types are used, they would not cancel each other out; lemongrass would win by a huge margin.

You can try to do some math with it. But to see just how large a margin the two effects have, you can pit each other to the maximum. Maximum Condition Duration is always + 100% and max duration decrease is always – 100%.

If you have 100% condition duration, a 6sec bleed would last 12sec.
If you have -100% condition duration, a 6sec bleed would last 3sec.
If you have both those max in place, the – condition duration is calculated last so should be -100% of a 12sec bleed which should put it back at 6sec. This is all just theoretical though…I could be totally wrong.

But -duration will always be favored because removing a fraction of a second diminishes a condition by a full tic.

tl;dr—if anyone understood how good lemongrass is, they’d stop dying to my condition builds in WvW.

And I’d be richer since more people would be buying my food! I wish I farmed more snowflakes as I wasted so many of them making my own Giver’s weapons that didn’t work for the longest

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

You can try to do some math with it. But to see just how large a margin the two effects have, you can pit each other to the maximum. Maximum Condition Duration is always + 100% and max duration decrease is always – 100%.

If you have both those max in place, the – condition duration is calculated last so should be -100% of a 12sec bleed which should put it back at 6sec. This is all just theoretical though…I could be totally wrong.

But -duration will always be favored because removing a fraction of a second diminishes a condition by a full tic.

And I’d be richer since more people would be buying my food! I wish I farmed more snowflakes as I wasted so many of them making my own Giver’s weapons that didn’t work for the longest

That might be true if math was broken, but math works so all that is wrong

-100% of anything is 0.
+100% is double

if you have a 6 second bleed and +100% you get a 12 second bleed. If you then have -100% you have a 0 second bleed.

Lemongrass will always win, end of story.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Ignorance is bliss – for the ones who avoid it.

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

That might be true if math was broken, but math works so all that is wrong

-100% of anything is 0.
+100% is double

if you have a 6 second bleed and +100% you get a 12 second bleed. If you then have -100% you have a 0 second bleed.

Lemongrass will always win, end of story.

Pizza completely negates the effect of lemongrass due to additive scaling. Meaning that they are equal in power.

10 second bleed lasts:
LemonGrass + Melandru -65% (10 + (10*-.65)) = 3.5 seconds
Pizza + LemonGrass + Melandru -25% = 7.5 seconds
Lemongrass -40% = 6 seconds
Pizza + Lemongrass 0% = 10 seconds

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Daecollo.9578

Actually, subtractives happen after all addictives.

If I have 100% Condition Duration, my immobilize will go from 1s to 2s.

If the target has 98% Condition Reduction, it will go from 2s to 0.04s (Basicly 0.)

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

What they need to do is decrease all food buffs from 40% to 20% and increase the effect of the secondary stat from 70 to 100.

Daecollo.9578

What they need to do is decrease all food buffs from 40% to 20% and increase the effect of the secondary stat from 70 to 100.

Or add a secondary stat, or allow two foods to be used at once.

Posted by: QuadJunky.2736

QuadJunky.2736

Is this what the community has come down too? Just nerf it?

Lemongrass is fine @ 40%

Posted by: KazNaka.4718

KazNaka.4718

Pizza completely negates the effect of lemongrass due to additive scaling. Meaning that they are equal in power.

10 second bleed lasts:
LemonGrass + Melandru -65% (10 + (10*-.65)) = 3.5 seconds
Pizza + LemonGrass + Melandru -25% = 7.5 seconds
Lemongrass -40% = 6 seconds
Pizza + Lemongrass 0% = 10 seconds

I’m not arguing for or against (I’ll let ANet decide what’s best)…but your math is wrong:

-10s bleed
-use pizza = +40% = 14s bleed
-apply bleeds on a lemongrass user = -40% = 14 – 40% = 14 – 5.6 = 8.4s bleed, NOT 10s

So you see, the lemongrass is applied on the TOTAL whereas pizza is applied on the BASE.

Daecollo.9578

For Pizza to be on-par with Lemongrass, it would have to be 80%, not 40%.

Posted by: KazNaka.4718

KazNaka.4718

For Pizza to be on-par with Lemongrass, it would have to be 80%, not 40%.

no actually, for pizza to completely negate lemongrass, it would have to be 66.67% (or 2/3):

x = any base bleed #
1 and 2/3 (pizza) of x or 5/3 x times 0.6 (1 minus 40% (lemongrass)) is equal to x.

however, this calculation is done assuming there are no other condition duration buffs (from traits, sigils, etc). In reality, -cond duration will always be stronger than +cond duration for the simple fact I stated above: Reduction is applied on the total while Buff is applied on the base.

when you have a 98% reduction to snares, it doesn’t consider every snares that comes your way, calculate the base of said snares, then reduce 98% of it. No, it simply reduces 98% of whatever’s coming at you. Meaning, you can only ever be snared for 2% of ANY snares in the game.

(edited by KazNaka.4718)

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbopogon

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Just remove all consumables from PvP of all types, there sorted…

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

This is just another example of bad game design. You have to be seriously mathematically deficient to think that additively stacking effects is good especially when it comes to duration reduction.

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

It is too powerful when combined with Melandru runes. However, I dont think a huge nerf is in order. Either cap condition duration reductions to 50% or change the calculation so that +condition duration counters -condition duration better (i.e. a fix where -65% reduction vs someone with 100% duration would still net a +35% duration instead of a flat reduction that results in -30% off the base duration).

(edited by roamzero.9486)

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

by far the most powerful food in gw2.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Wait a sec,

What happens if my warrior uses:
Dogged March
“Incoming immobilize, chill, and cripple conditions are reduced by 33%. Gain regeneration for 3 seconds when you are affected by one of these conditions (this regeneration can only be gained once every 10 seconds).”

and then i use Melandru Runes (-25%) and Lemongrass (-40%)?
I get 98% reduction on cripple, chill and immobilize?

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

These foods are a bit too powerful and directly interfere in certain gameplay mechanics negatively; a consumable that helps eliminate counterplay in any way, shape or form is 99% of the times something bad.

Implementing a sort of cap (as already said above) to condition increase and reduction would be a good start.

Posted by: Amelia Knox.9362

Amelia Knox.9362

Run with an organized group that use many guardian, warrior, elementalist and you will find that MOST of the condition applied to yourself they get remove before a 40% reduction ( use the pentagon to see the duration ), so lemongrass doesn’t matter, most of the time in Wvw you get killed from only power damage.
I got my data from my own video using frame for frame, to see when condition get cleanse

[Dawn] Gandara
Guild Leader

Daecollo.9578

It mostly removes procs as well, and yes it does matter. If your immune to cripple/immob/chill and trait proc bleeds (really low ones.) and fears then you can have other things cured when you run with them.

If you have 51% Condition Reduction, your immune to any condition that is 1s or lower.