I think the next expansion is about Water

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Freakshow.1809

Freakshow.1809

First off, Forgive me if I’m beating a dead horse. I came across this unknown dragon in the wiki.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Deep_sea_dragon

I never heard about it in game but it makes alot of references to southsun cove and alot of stuff related to Living season one. Thing is I wasn’t there to to play through season one since at the time I was deployed in the Navy.

So I was hoping more people could add credibility to this idea.

According to the wiki Quagan and Largos (who are from the Unending Ocean where the dragon lurks) make mentions on water tentacle horrors that the Deep Sea Dragon supposedly create that drove them from their home. Anyone remember a dept they owe from the Zhaitan story to a certain Largos?

But what catches me most is the lack of info unlike the other dragons. From a developing standpoint it would be easier to make a story line for a dragon that isn’t that locked in to the lore than a dragon who already has a back story.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

What exactly makes it plausible that it will be the DSD next expansion? The HoT indicates Kralkatorrik or maybe Primordus. How would the DSD fit into the current events?
Of course he’s still there and we’ll be going to punsh him eventually. But I don’t think that he’s likely to be next.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

There’s a lot of speculation to the Deep Sea Dragon, or “Bubbles,” as some people call him. The Quaggans, Krait, and Largos have all had problems with it, although very little is known about it beyond that. You can find hits about the existence of a sixth dragon in various places.

There’s a piece of art floating around that seems to show a monster on a tidal wave attacking Lion’s Arch, but I don’t think we have any solid evidence that DSD will be next, rather than Kralkatorrik, Primordus, or Jormag.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Freakshow.1809

Freakshow.1809

What exactly makes it plausible that it will be the DSD next expansion? The HoT indicates Kralkatorrik or maybe Primordus. How would the DSD fit into the current events?
Of course he’s still there and we’ll be going to punsh him eventually. But I don’t think that he’s likely to be next.

Mostly the lack of info, I know its not the strongest argument but it seems so set up for blanks to be filled in.

in the main story you go to the underwater temple of Abaddon with a Largos. Abaddon was worshiped by the Margnites who lived in the unending ocean along with the Largos who had to flee there home land due to an elder dragon. Karka which I believe you encounter in the season 1 story also fled the unending ocean for the same reason. but thats all the info I can find. the dragon doesn’t even have a name.

buts its the lack of information that makes it perfect to create a story for. before the Mordremoth expansion there was a lot of lacked info too, for example, where did the Sylvari come from? it was left empty till the season stories came out.

Thanathos.2063

Well, Mordremoth and Bubbles always were the two most mysterious ones. It just would surprise me pretty much if they’d take both of them down this quick.
Plus, it would result in some lore problems. If we would defeat the DSD, it would be theoretically possible again to travel to other continents -> I’m pretty sure that Anet won’t deal with this problem in this phase of the game.

edit: by the way, I’d love to finally see the DSD. I’m a big fan of abyssish ocean dragons and I’m keen on playing a Largos, too^^

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There has been a bit of speculation over the last 8 months about whether “Bubbles” would be next. What really kicked it off was the artwork that appeared on the HoT website as a background for Masteries (I think)

It could easily be a red herring since it came out before we even set off down the road of killing Mordremoth, but it fuelled speculation nonetheless.

Attachments:

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

I’m leaning towards deep sea dragon as well.

For similar reasons. The “unidentified lodestone” and the fact that all other dragon minions are represented during these ley line events. Everyone is expecting Kralk, so it would be fitting that this dragon would be unexpected. I think they may be setting up Kralk as a potential endgame, with Glint’s offspring as a potential magic sponge now we can freely defeat elder dragons while gaining more strength on our side. Why have the new hatchling immediately go and fight the dragon that had so much control over its mother?

Everyone seems sure that the deep sea dragon involves underwater combat, but I’m thinking if they do the deep sea dragon they will do it as a Cantha/island expansion.

If they did, I hope we get some elephant/humanoid race! I love Tengu and Largos too though. And Skritt. Honestly Margonites too. lol

Anyway, I support the idea that the deep sea dragon is just unexpected and vague enough to be able to do the next expansion on with Kralk and Primordus being saved for later.

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

It would be interesting if the deep sea dragon relates to the natural disaster of the ‘jade’ sea

Thanathos.2063

I don’t think so, because it wasn’t exactly a natural disaster. Shiro Tagachi’s scream turned the sea to jade and the woods to stone.

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

Can’t wait until we have an entire 3 maps that all take place deep underwater, wonder how the underwater dragon fight is gonna work out.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Nah, betting it’s the crystal desert.

Several of the minisodes have been started by or rewarded crystal items, furthermore it’s the only area left with a dragon that had anything to do with the white mantle, the subject of the raids, which is supposed to lead in to the next season to some degree.

I’m speculative, but hoping, that this expansion will be larger, and in facing Kralkatorrik we will creep down south and have some of the content take place in Cantha, hence the developers comments that we are soon heading somewhere we wouldn’t expect.

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

The Deep Sea Dragon is supposed to be mysterious and I believe it’s very intentional that no one has information on him.

When you think about it, all the stuff about Largos and Quaggans running from tentacled horrors, not to mention Karkas and Krait surfacing (both Karkas and Krait are VERY powerful, the latter being a literal army akin to real life ancient Persia/Egypt), point to a kind of Eldritch abomination trope surrounding the oceans. A quick swimming around the shore towards the bottom on Malchor’s Leap will demonstrate what I mean: the oceans are dark and you simply do not know what kind of horrors to expect coming from there, and that’s how the Dragon is supposed to be conveyed – as something unseen, unspoken and unfathomable.

So perhaps they never even bother to actually show us the Dragon, as it is more useful that it remains a mystery, simply there to be a wonder and a constant, yet distant, menace. Or perhaps it dies for reasons outside of our actions (fighting another dragon? the White Mantle drains its power for their purpose?) and we never really go to the Unending Ocean (neither it comes to us) to deal with it. I think it was Stephen King that said things are scarier if their true shape remains unknown, and the Deep Sea Dragon is definitely supposed to be the “scarier” of them all.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I’m not sure an under sea expansion will ever hit, the majority hate underwater and seem to have this strange awareness issue with 3d content..

That and the devs really seem to have abandoned underwater in many ways, lack of it in hot, lack of mechanics in Revenant etc..

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I am betting on Kralk and the Crystal Desert.

Mainly because a lot of the latest non-HoT maps they have made have all been testing grounds for Desert style terrain (Dry Top, Silverwastes, Skyhammer, Lost Precipice)

There is alot of entrenched lore already for the entirety of the Crystal Desert, we have glint’s egg, we have plenty of structures in HoT and the pvp backpiece all relating around “The Ascension” which was pivotal for the Crystal Desert, as well as loose ends from the books.

Even the latest profession, the Revenant, revolves around a gateway to the mists and its legends. Plenty of that in the Crystal Desert as well, Hall of Heroes, Tome of Primeval Kings, Augery Rock, etc

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

I’m not sure an under sea expansion will ever hit, the majority hate underwater and seem to have this strange awareness issue with 3d content..

That and the devs really seem to have abandoned underwater in many ways, lack of it in hot, lack of mechanics in Revenant etc..

I don’t think the “Deep Sea Dragon” is going to remain in the deep sea. I think that’s the whole reason he will wind up causing problems. I don’t think because of his name we will HAVE to be underwater for that expansion. No reason it can’t be an island/Cantha expansion with him coming to the surface sensing the ley-line/magic overflow.

Would be fascinating to have an underwater zone though. Some bubbled city themed like Atlantis that maybe belongs to the Largos or something.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Well, if HoT didn’t drive away enough players, a full underwater campaign might do it.

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Bubbles is not next. Arenanet has far too many things to face before they clean up underwater combat.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Dashingsteel.3410

I was hoping Jormag… if it is crystal desert I hope it’s not as bland looking as dry top and the silverwastes…… those are eyesores…..

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

I was hoping Jormag… if it is crystal desert I hope it’s not as bland looking as dry top and the silverwastes…… those are eyesores…..

I don’t care what they do so long as I get tengu and polearms. That is what I bought this game back in 2012 for, and I’m still waiting to live the dream.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Dashingsteel.3410

I hope you get your tengu and polearms : )

Posted by: Ryouzanpaku.1273

Ryouzanpaku.1273

As underwater content got pretty much sacked and was never really popular I do not think this will happen…
My bet would be Kralkatorrik – Glint’s egg seems to be waking up and I am quite sure it will not make him happy.

Player plays the game. MetaKitten plays the DPS meter on the golem.

Posted by: alicatrawz.9567

alicatrawz.9567

steve the dragon lives!

gravity is my arch-nemesis.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

All hints seem to point to Kralkatorrik though. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I want Ring of Fire with meteor shower casting hydras.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Bet every class get new underwater weapon and a underwater mastery

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Underwater. With important stuff gated behind mini-games.
Yeah, that’d do it.
I’d be out of the door so fast….

Posted by: Asclepios.4295

Asclepios.4295

I would love Kalkatorrik instead! kitten I miss Elona…. My favorite expansion and region in GW1.
Elona! Elona!
I want to know what happened there! I want my nice medieval middle-east style region with turquoise buildings. And of course the middle-east armor style… oh god… Make it happen!

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Can’t wait until we have an entire 3 maps that all take place deep underwater, wonder how the underwater dragon fight is gonna work out.

From my experience with the Dragon Stand meta I think people angrily typing about how terrible this group is and how much faster all their previous attempts were will feature heavily!

I’d prefer Kralkatorrik please, I want to go back to Elona.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

I’m pretty kitten sure anet have really, truly, and forever given up on underwater combat. If they are not putting underwater skins in teh BLCT weapons, it’s over.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Imo, Bubbles will be the last dragon we face.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

Several friends of mine have discussed whether or not the orb we rescued from the Krait in PS is in fact a DSD egg. Hence, why the Krait wanted it so badly, and why it powers Fort Trinity

“We can figure out /how/ it works when this is all over!” That’s what the priory charr said when it was brought up during the opening sequence.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I’d love an underwater update. If not the whole expansion, then a quarterly update where they brought it up to snuff. It was one of the selling points of the game early on, and wasn’t as I recall, hated until they did a quick hatchet job to address an exploit about luring things to the surface nor staying right at the edge of the water or something. At the time I recall a dev calling the change a temporary thing, but it was never addressed again.

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

I doubt Steve/Bubbles is next, but I do hope we’ll get an underwater themed expansion eventually.

Underwater combat is finicky and has plenty of issues, but it’s still really fun IMO. With a few mechanics tweaks and reworking abilities to make ALL of them usable underwater, I’m sure Anet will be able to deliver. I’d really love to explore humongous underwater maps with multiple levels, especially if the DSD is meant to be a Chthulu-like eldritch abomination.

Imagine sections that are just pitch-black with just your armor/weapons as a light source…GW2 could really benefit from creepy environments like that.

Not to mention, the Largos and Quaggans really need to have their stories told.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

We’ll be drowning in fun with the next expansion.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

I’ve been saying this to but for some reason peolle don’t believe it like at all.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I haven’t looked at the responses but if that were truly the case OP, they would have started making the BL Chest underwater weapons again. Not gonna happen.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall