I think we need Capes

I think we need Capes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaag.6538

Gaag.6538

I dont know how often this has been discussed but …. how about back pieces that are capes!? different styles? and colors? I just think my phalanx armor would look bad@ss with a cape rather than a book or a quiver , the banners are an step in the right direction but still dont hit the mark.

so yeah, back pieces in the form of cape would be neat, also some version with the option to add our guild’s emblem to it.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: MrPersons.1560

MrPersons.1560

It gets discussed almost as much as mounts, but while I would like capes and think they would be cool, they would clip with armor, especially Charr. I am partial to either.

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Sythern the Warlock: Human Necromancer| Lithia the Shadow: Human Theif
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

I think we need Capes

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Capes would be game changing. Potent end game content, a lot of time should be dedicated to this.

Or…….the time is used wisely to expand the game, it’s modes, fix bugs especially the ones that have been in game since launch. Yeah, I am thinking that is much better than flappy tablecloths flowing off someone’s back.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

I think we need Capes

Posted by: MrPersons.1560

MrPersons.1560

They should also make backpieces visible while sitting and at main menu in the update if/when they do it.

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Sythern the Warlock: Human Necromancer| Lithia the Shadow: Human Theif
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Gaag.6538

Gaag.6538

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

I think Arenanet is aware of the capes. I saw the word “cape(s)” allot in the CDI Guildhalls topic.
There is still hope^^ can’t wait to see them personally.

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

No Capes!

/Message Body length must at least be 15.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

No Capes!

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I liked the capes in Guild Wars, especially since the art and animation teams got such a fluid “flow” to the fabric. (Actually, other game designers asked how it was done, back in the day!)

I imagine there would be challenges in incorporating capes, and naturally a cape would cover some of the armor pieces, which is a drawback when you’ve worked hard to get the whole “look” going on. As mentioned, it was brought up in the CDI, so that’s good.

Paradox — I’m curious. Why do you say “no capes?”

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I really liked the capes in GW1, but it might be hard to implement for charr?

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It gets discussed almost as much as mounts, but while I would like capes and think they would be cool, they would clip with armor, especially Charr. I am partial to either.

This point isn’t valid in my humble opinion because nothing says that Charr can’t have a different style of cape that works well with them. I hear this argument a lot about capes not being put in and I think it would be safe to say there are tons of different ways they could do a cape that worked for Charr.

The reason we aren’t going to get capes is because they use backpieces as rewards so much. For a lot of people, a cape would be the final backpiece they would ever wear. For others that isn’t the case; but for the people who only want a cape, backpieces would no longer be a valid reward. They already would have the only thing they would ever want to wear.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Raina.8642

Raina.8642

I’m all for capes, as long as they are a backpiece that can be not displayed in PVP as well as PVE.

I hated capes in gw1, because they messed with my look and I preferred pvp so I was stuck with capes too much of the time.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

Pretty sure it was a reference to this :P

No Capes!

I think we need Capes

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

So far this is what I liked the most, from “this thread”:
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/9874-capesrepresenting-your-guild-what-would-you-like-to-see/ in a fansite forum.

http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/Baktwerel/media/capes_2.png.html

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/Baktwerel/capes.png

Several variants that can be placed at different parts of the body as different armor parts and adornments, some replacing the shoulder armor, some hiding the back, some handing from the side, some handing from the bottom of the back…

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Pretty sure it was a reference to this :P

No Capes!

Doh, of course.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wouldn’t capes interfere with any weapons stowed on the back? There were no weapons stowed on the back of characters in GW1, if memory serves me.

Maybe players wouldn’t care about that, though, but it might look odd to see weapons poking through the material of capes.

I’m neither for nor against capes; personally, I rarely wore mine in GW1, and would probably never wear one in this game.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Ryuu.5608

Ryuu.5608

I really, reeeally hope we can see capes implemented in the future (perhaps in a feature pack?), whether be in a form of a PVP Reward Track and/or a Meta PVE/WvW Achievement or just make it craftable for tailoring.

Anything would be very very welcomed at this point tbh.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Real customization would be great to adress the capes issues. And by real customization i meant examples like: If you use a staff, choose to have an out-of-combat option to display it in the back OR in your hands.

I was really surprised by the little amount of options that players can change in Options in this game. I guess it’s done to save servers information, as large databases with our customizations would be probably something bad. However, that’s where local stored preference files actually fits.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Wouldn’t capes interfere with any weapons stowed on the back? There were no weapons stowed on the back of characters in GW1, if memory serves me.

Maybe players wouldn’t care about that, though, but it might look odd to see weapons poking through the material of capes.

I’m neither for nor against capes; personally, I rarely wore mine in GW1, and would probably never wear one in this game.

With all the other clipping and errors in this game (that will never get fixed I’m sure) I think that no one who still plays the game would care about this except some particularly anal designer. It CANNOT be the reason we do not have capes it is just so utterly stupid.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

With all the other clipping and errors in this game (that will never get fixed I’m sure) I think that no one who still plays the game would care about this except some particularly anal designer. It CANNOT be the reason we do not have capes it is just so utterly stupid.

Please remember to speak for yourself.

There are already back items that conflict with certain weapons and it looks ugly enough that I tend to avoid displaying back items for that reason. As I see it, saying that there are “plenty of clipping errors already” is a great reason to be cautious adding more items that cause still more clipping issues and display errors.

Mind you, I would like to see Capes in the game. I just don’t think it’s as simple a situation as expressed above. If & when they get added, I want the community to echo with cheering, not see a mountain of complaints in /map & the forums about how ANet didn’t do a good job of implementing htem.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

I have been saying since release, along with every friend I have that played GW1 with me. we would literally spend all our gold and savings on a cape.

Note!, they don’t HAVE to go all the way to the ground (they didn’t in GW1). I know you guys are skilled enough to add capes without huge issues. Even if there is some clipping, there is already plenty of clipping andddd we are all still here playing the game.

Gaile, I am so glad you are back in this position. I remember you alllll the way back in GW1 while I was in ZoS and you were sitting in the guild hall trying to get the drunkard title, haha. You are the best community dev I have ever seen in a game!

Yes I am trying to brown nose you into getting us capes, but I am also serious. :P

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Please remember to speak for yourself.

There are already back items that conflict with certain weapons and it looks ugly enough that I tend to avoid displaying back items for that reason. As I see it, saying that there are “plenty of clipping errors already” is a great reason to be cautious adding more items that cause still more clipping issues and display errors.

Mind you, I would like to see Capes in the game. I just don’t think it’s as simple a situation as expressed above. If & when they get added, I want the community to echo with cheering, not see a mountain of complaints in /map & the forums about how ANet didn’t do a good job of implementing htem.

At this point if they ever get added and somehow they make them amazing and they don’t clip and they fix all their other broken stuff, the response will still be “it took you long enough” and “it should have been in since launch”. Which is true.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Capes will ALWAYS be in the tongues of GW players. Lol.

Necromancer Main

I think we need Capes

Kysin.6349

I liked the capes in Guild Wars, especially since the art and animation teams got such a fluid “flow” to the fabric. (Actually, other game designers asked how it was done, back in the day!)

I imagine there would be challenges in incorporating capes, and naturally a cape would cover some of the armor pieces, which is a drawback when you’ve worked hard to get the whole “look” going on. As mentioned, it was brought up in the CDI, so that’s good.

Dearest Gaile, capes would be an optional back piece of course! On top of that I put together an ugly comparison of how much the GW1 cape took up on a character compared to some GW2 back items. Also, I would like to point out that the default icon for the back slot IS A CAPE!

Attachments:

-Blackgate

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Simply Movie Reference, sorry, Gaile. I was just having a little fun. I am neither here nor there about capes in particular. More wings would nice too! =)

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Wouldn’t half-capes / shoulder capes (think Ezio from Assassin’s Creed) be a viable way to produce an attractive flowing fabric that doesn’t cover as many armor pieces?

I think we need Capes

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I’d rather first see some fixes on known armor clipping problems like Body of Koda or the Magitech Medium skirt on humans, frankly :\

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Why feel “no capes” is because it has been 2 years and most have lost all faith

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

I think we need Capes

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

What about buttcapes?

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As I’ve said in other capes threads, to me a cape isn’t a lifeless thin panel of cloth hanging from one’s neck. They cover your front too. And they swirl at the hem. Even the one-shoulder capes of the Musketeers draped over the front and had body and motion. Capes, cloaks, etc, they exist for a reason and that is to keep rain off, to keep the body warm. Well, usually. Fashionable sorts can do all sorts of impractical garments. Yet somehow I don’t think a warrior slogging out into Orr is interested in a dangling bit of cloth behind him/her to offer a stranglehold to the foe just because it would look interesting.

I’ve made a number of capes RL, from medieval to 17th century to Victorian. I’ve never seen an MMO make one that seems to be an actual garment, one just as interesting as the armor it obscures. I sure hope that if/when ANet comes up with them (as a back item or part of a chest or shoulder piece) they make things the characters would wear as an integral part of their look rather than something pasted on.

I also hope they won’t only show up in outfit form, though I could see outfits being a stepping stone to iron out design issues.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I was thinking the same thing. Especially considering all the huge oversized backpacks they just put into the game that obscure armor and cover up weapons.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Fosio.8217

Fosio.8217

Hooded capes are what i’d love in GW2.
A long hooded, overcoat even if it comes as an outfit (overlapping armor). I would only need that on my char, i swear i will not even have him wear any underwear!
I’m serious …about the no underwear part :P

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Still, the backpacks, etc. don’t have the nostalgia that capes do from GW1. Players may be a bit more particular about how capes interact with their weapons/armor.

Also, many backpacks, etc. seem to float away from/above the back. I’m not sure capes would look so nice doing so.

Though, as I said before, I am really ambivalent about capes. If they are introduced, I would probably never purchase/obtain one. /shrug

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

I would throw my most expensive armor in front of a bus for a cape

Cape >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any armor in the world,I’d rather show off my cape than the back of my armor lol

Actually,even Worn out armor would look cool with a cape,kind like a Warrior with a lot of experience in battles.

More refined looks (like Phalanx) would be like a noble Knight

I can already see it…if someday (PLEASE) we get capes,our next request will be “HORSE WHERe?”

Can’t be a noble knight without a horse

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

This point isn’t valid in my humble opinion because nothing says that Charr can’t have a different style of cape that works well with them. I hear this argument a lot about capes not being put in and I think it would be safe to say there are tons of different ways they could do a cape that worked for Charr.

Charr could have ‘tail capes’: ribbons, essentially, tied to their tails. Or maybe horn capes…

/e sings ‘Oh, tie a yellow ribbon ’round ol’ Rytlock’s tail…’

The table is a fable.

I think we need Capes

Kysin.6349

Charr could have ‘tail capes’: ribbons, essentially, tied to their tails. Or maybe horn capes…

/e sings ‘Oh, tie a yellow ribbon ’round ol’ Rytlock’s tail…’

Hey look, Rytlock is wearing a cape… Concept art for GW2 is so awesome.

Attachments:

-Blackgate

I think we need Capes

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

What do you mean I don’t have a cape?

yes would like capes, but I think the art team once mentioned something about the charr and it not being compatible with the in game model for them.

However I’ve always felt that the backpack should be replaced by any usage of cape, don’t know why I feel this should be so.

Attachments:

Server: Gate of Madness

(edited by aerial.7021)

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Hooded capes are what i’d love in GW2.
A long hooded, overcoat even if it comes as an outfit (overlapping armor). I would only need that on my char, i swear i will not even have him wear any underwear!
I’m serious …about the no underwear part :P

Oh, if they do hoods, they just have to do the thing that DaoC did! I remember it well. We had capes, albeit ones that were stiff rectangles down our backs. They hinged in one point when we sat. You could get a cape with a hood up, or one without a hood. And then in a patch, they introduced a toggle for hoods. So you could hotkey flip your hood onto your head or down in a bit of a rumple behind you. The players were astounded and overjoyed, this little touch was adored beyond all measure.

GW2 can outdo DaoC, I’m sure. Hood up or down, cloak closed around you or flowing freely, folded back over your shoulders. Please please proper cloak physics.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I deliver the images of capes, if like me, people do not see the links appear.

I think the back could be in great cape! diverces or styles of coats. Even coat with hoods!
We can find full of ideas for adding in Accessories. Personally, I’ve always loved wearing the cape on gw1. Especially in the snow maps.

Attachments:

# Asura because I’m worth it!

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Capes/cloaks would be cool to have, but I think they would just end up being a clipping nightmare. Especially for Charr.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: FluffyFox.2756

FluffyFox.2756

Couldn’t we just as easily make capes a cultural backpiece? They’re iconic to human characters specifically, maybe the other races can have something that’s iconic to them that only they can wear.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Scryeless.1924

Scryeless.1924

Seems like a Guild Chest piece could be designed that has a cape as part of the skin. when worn it auto hides any back piece or weapon being worn. Similar to how sitting hides them. Also, the Fractal Capacitor has a few tiny capes on it already.

SoS – Ele – Burn Me, Freeze Me, Blind Me, Pound Me — Wait…What?
Warrior – The New Burninator! Strongbad would be so proud!
Guardian – Burn for you, heal for me, block for me and uh…sorry Im all out of gifts.

(edited by Scryeless.1924)

I think we need Capes

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

No capes as long as they’re not well animated or clip with the armor or the weapons.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Kveldulf.7605

Kveldulf.7605

An other way for embarrassing and pathetic cliping fails? especially for charr? Why not?

Kveldulf Frost – Thief (Charr)
Wlaadas Frost – Warrior (Charr) Torlic Frost – Guardian (Norn)
http://amalthea-gw2.de

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

It’s good to give people who want to wear capes the option. I imagine it would be a backpiece..so it’s already a toggle on/off thing. Capes are part of the fantasy scheme and if ppl are into that i think it should be implemented.

On the long run a cape is better then a growing hentai tentacle on your back. Let’s be honest here.

Yes it would be a challenge to make capes..but running away from a challenge is exactly like giving up. Specially considering this “challange” is really minor compared to all other challenges u have. Blaming charr models (ones u yourselves made) is just sad for u and your image honestly.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

I think we need Capes

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

If or when you do capes, it would be good time (once again, as it would have been a good time many times already) to take a look at Engineer kit backpacks and get rid of those kittens.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

How will they work?
As toggle on/off in Character menu or skin of back item?

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Arianhod.3485

Arianhod.3485

@Louveepine.7630

Awesome concepts!! It would be really cool to have backpieces like those

It’s a-me, Aria!

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Dearest Gaile, capes would be an optional back piece of course! On top of that I put together an ugly comparison of how much the GW1 cape took up on a character compared to some GW2 back items. Also, I would like to point out that the default icon for the back slot IS A CAPE!

+1 to that.

I think both new and old players would appreciate the choice.

We have an immense amount of back pieces to choose from. So why not capes? I mean come on – we’ve been asking for 2 years.

What’s it gonna take?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I mean – it’s all over the place in the concept art. Here’s some examples :

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Legacy_of_the_Foefire_loading_screen.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Forest_of_Niflhel_loading_screen.jpg

Are those backpacks? No.
Do they look awesome? YES! So why not bring them back? They seem to be a huge fan favorite.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”