I truly enjoy playing this game. Do you?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ryan.5106

ryan.5106

Am I the only person that truly enjoys playing this game?

LoL, bear with me, please. Here’s how this question popped into my head. I had a lot, and I mean a LOT of down time today at work, so of course I’m just tooling around on my iPhone and figure I’ll hit up the GW2 forums for a few laughs. As I’m reading through the posts for the various classes- and trust me I read through what must have been 50 posted topics scattered between the various classes and the running trend is that every class is “broken” and “unplayable”, Anet HATES US ALL, and THIS GAME SUCKS- THEY BROKED MY CLASS!!!!!

Bwahahahaha!!! My sides were splitting, seriously. I guess it doesn’t help that all the people, each and every one of them, that were whining and crying on these forums typed their responses like they dropped out of the sixth grade. I digress, however

I just thought I would share my observations with you guys and I’m hoping that we can start some sort of positive feedback for the developers at Arena Net. After all, they’ve marketed a great product that has brought at least me, and hopefully a majority of others a lot of fun and entertainment.

I’ll catch you guys later, I’m off to troll some mouth breathers before I actually go into the game!

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

I don’t think that people don’t enjoy the game just because whatever class they play is bugged in some sort of way. Most people who enjoy the game don’t bother to come to the forums to tell ANet that they are enjoying it. It’s just the people who either have some sort of account issue, are complaining about X or Y or have found some bug that they want to report that post here.

I personally enjoy the game despite the bugs and the unfairness in class balance, but I do acknowledge that most MMO forums are not representative of how the game’s population as a whole feels about the game. The forums are usually filled with people who have something to rant and rave about, rather than people who would take the time out of playing the game they enjoy to write a nice thing or two to the developers.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Did you look to see if you were reading the same 10-20 people’s opinions?

ryan.5106

I think you guys both make a really good point. You’re right that people that are enjoying something aren’t as inclined to say so. I really think we should be more vocal about the good things in this game by providing more positive reviews of it. That act alone I think would lend more credibility to any attempt at constructive criticism. I think it would be more productive than inundating the forums with crying and complaining when the community comes to a consensus that something should be changed. I know that I just kind of shut down and quit listening when I get the impression that someone is just being a baby about something.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Any good attempt to emphasize the positive is worth doing. Starting out by belittling other posters, no matter if you think it was justified, does not make for a good attempt. Some judicious editing of your OP would make it a better post.

Posted by: cmking.2391

cmking.2391

Welcome to any MMO forums ever. lol

Posted by: slugburp.5431

slugburp.5431

this

people who enjoy the game are too busy having fun actually playing

ryan.5106

Any good attempt to emphasize the positive is worth doing. Starting out by belittling other posters, no matter if you think it was justified, does not make for a good attempt. Some judicious editing of your OP would make it a better post.

Lol, fair enough. What would you advise? I have to admit that I get pretty disdainful when confronted with ignorance that refuses to die. When people have yet to prove themselves capable communicators insist on spamming public forums with complaints unsupported by any hard evidence I get a little… confrontational. I mean honestly, how do people expect to be taken seriously if they can’t even grasp the basics of our written language? They deny themselves any credibility and expect to affect some significant changes, and they refuse to ever shut up. On top of that they react indignantly if corrected, hostile even.

If they would keep quiet I guess I could bear the fact that they are basically covering up any good ideas that they or anyone else might have had with the white noise of constant unorganized crying and general foolishness. Until that day comes, I think I’m going to continue to call them out on their bullkitten. This could potentially provide years of entertainment!

IndigoSundown.5419

Lol, fair enough. What would you advise? I have to admit that I get pretty disdainful when confronted with ignorance that refuses to die. When people have yet to prove themselves capable communicators insist on spamming public forums with complaints unsupported by any hard evidence I get a little… confrontational. I mean honestly, how do people expect to be taken seriously if they can’t even grasp the basics of our written language? They deny themselves any credibility and expect to affect some significant changes, and they refuse to ever shut up. On top of that they react indignantly if corrected, hostile even.

If they would keep quiet I guess I could bear the fact that they are basically covering up any good ideas that they or anyone else might have had with the white noise of constant unorganized crying and general foolishness. Until that day comes, I think I’m going to continue to call them out on their bullkitten. This could potentially provide years of entertainment!

Well, if my intent were to create a thread with positive feedback for the devs, I would not have made the majority of my post an insulting criticism of other posters. Those kinds of comments are more likely to foster a flame war than they will anything positive. That said, forgive me for intruding. I see that your intent is really to complain about complaining, so carry on.

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

on the german forums, around october, someone made a “what you don’t like about GW2”-thread, so i countered with a “what do you like about GW2”-thread.

the positive feedback thread was dead a day after i made it and the negative feedback one is as active as ever. :/

bless the pale tree for the fact, that only very, very few players actively post in and visit the forums…i found quite a number of players (including my current guild) which are actually having alot of fun. (LA —-> /map)

it’s sad though, that constructive criticism and discussions about flaws/balancing issues, etc, which would actually helping the game to develope are getting completely flodded away by irrelevant complaints and rants.

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

Posted by: Yramrag.3026

Yramrag.3026

Human (or charr, asura, take your pick), by nature, are negative. Bad things always got remembered, mentioned, debated much much more than positive things/news. This is very common in real life – hence you see around you, more gossips than accolades, more criticism than praises. That’s just nature.

So I usually would not read too much into negative stuff on an internet forum, because it is usually magnified more than 10 times what you will experience in real life.

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

When people have yet to prove themselves capable communicators insist on spamming public forums with complaints unsupported by any hard evidence I get a little… confrontational. I mean honestly, how do people expect to be taken seriously if they can’t even grasp the basics of our written language?

While I absolutely understand your frustration, and I am also prone to judging people based on the quality and style of their writing, standards of literacy aren’t always the fault of the poster. Some people don’t/can’t write as clearly as others and it’s a bit hasty to dismiss them because of it – even if some also just don’t bother to make an effort and don’t value communication for various reasons. I don’t want to be that person on the internet who invokes the word ‘privilege’, but… well.

That said, MMO forums always seem to be full of entitlement and vitriol, and almost nothing but negative criticism. Anyone who claims to actually be really enjoying the game as it is risks being labelled as a stupid fanboy/girl. It’s one of those sad facts of the internet. Many of us do love the game, and as others have said, we are by and large much happier to just play it and have fun without reporting back here.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s always been this way on MMO forums. There’s a very vocal negative minority who say all kinds of stuff…much of it opinion stated as fact. They can’t see that plenty of people are enjoying the game, and having a good time.

I’m having a ball. But I can also understand where certain people are coming from with their complaints. For example the GW 1 players who expected something closer to what they were used to. Anyone would feel dispossessed by something like that.

Which doesn’t mean the game is bad. I think the only thing you can do is supply the other point of view so lurkers can see it, and move on.

Jemmi.6058

Well, if my intent were to create a thread with positive feedback for the devs, I would not have made the majority of my post an insulting criticism of other posters. Those kinds of comments are more likely to foster a flame war than they will anything positive. That said, forgive me for intruding. I see that your intent is really to complain about complaining, so carry on.

Just to clarify, he is complaining about ignorance, and not complaining in general. At least that is my take on what he said.

Sounds to me like he is all for constructive, well thought-out and articulated criticism. He is against the flood of ignorant posts which drown out the well-thought out ones.

This is a classic case of Quality vs Quantity!

For the most part, I have to agree. There are multiple threads that become many many pages long, posted and replied to by the same select few arguing about the same select issues that they have a problem with. They state that their opinion is fact and that it is also representative of the community as a whole (with having 0 basis for this assumption).

One key difference between Ryan and me is, Ryan finds it frustrating to read, I find it entertaining.

(edited by Jemmi.6058)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ryan and me….=P

Jemmi.6058

Ryan and me….=P

Absolutely right, I’ve edited it. Thanks

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

I’ve played:

Everquest
Asheron’s Call
Dark Age of Camelot
Anarchy Online
Star Wars Galaxies
Lord of The Rings Online
World of Warcraft
The Secret World
Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 is by far my favorite of them all. For whatever that’s worth.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

LoL, bear with me, please. Here’s how this question popped into my head. I had a lot, and I mean a LOT of down time today at work, so of course I’m just tooling around on my iPhone and figure I’ll hit up the GW2 forums for a few laughs. As I’m reading through the posts for the various classes- and trust me I read through what must have been 50 posted topics scattered between the various classes and the running trend is that every class is “broken” and “unplayable”, Anet HATES US ALL, and THIS GAME SUCKS- THEY BROKED MY CLASS!!!!!

Bwahahahaha!!! My sides were splitting, seriously. I guess it doesn’t help that all the people, each and every one of them, that were whining and crying on these forums typed their responses like they dropped out of the sixth grade. I digress, however

I just thought I would share my observations with you guys and I’m hoping that we can start some sort of positive feedback for the developers at Arena Net. After all, they’ve marketed a great product that has brought at least me, and hopefully a majority of others a lot of fun and entertainment.

I’ll catch you guys later, I’m off to troll some mouth breathers before I actually go into the game!

I like the game. I figure no one posts about LIKING the game on the forums, because they’re all playing the game.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Nope

Awful lot of emphasis behind that nope by the way.

Posted by: SoulSaga.2390

SoulSaga.2390

this

people who enjoy the game are too busy having fun actually playing

You do realize that is flawed logic right?

If you are enjoying something, it means there is an emotional response present. Emotional response can go in a positive or negative direction, but causes the player to “care” or have an invested interest in the game. This means whether there is a positive or negative emotional response, they are more likely to feel the need to express it (especially on forums) as opposed to not express anything at all.

When I see people say “oh those enjoying it are too busy to talk on forums”, it tells me that that person is having whats known as a confirmation bias. It means they seek to confirm and establish their own bias. A bias by definition according to the behavioral sciences, is an interference in rational thought.

You may wonder what the behavioral sciences have to do with entertainment, and more specifically games. My answer is…EVERYTHING. Entertainment and interactivity all come back to emotional responses.

On the subject posted by the original poster, I would argue that there is a legitimate argument to be made against the current state of the game (class balance, design, direction). What you need to understand about game design is that it involves the nature of a game itself, which is challenge. A game cannot exist without a challenge. Now this doesnt mean a challenge cant be easy (thus not challenging at all by perception), but rather that it exists to begin with. A challenge in game design terms is a limitation created by rulesets, that when mixed with goals create the challenge which causes emotional response which just so happens to be needed for immersion. Challenges can be broken up into many types…probably the most common in rpgs is resource management.

It is why mana bars existed, and ammo was not an infinite entity. If you look at Guild Wars 2, they went out of their way to remove much of that resource management challenge outside of currency, which when tied to real money transactions makes one of the worst kinds of resource management.

Classes have very little in choice and consequence, as their traits and skills range from great to pointless. There is a lack of diversity, a lack of tactics (often tactics vs strategy, short term vs long term planning). There is no mana bar to restrict abilities, rather the resource is limited to skill bar space instead… space limitation is good…for games like Tetris when you have limited space as part of the challenge mechanic…but for games with super limited skill slots and long cooldown timers… you get a lack of diversity, a lack of choice, a lack of options for the player to chose in combat.

This makes combat dull, especially when the first half of the skills are limited by weapon, of which you can unlock all in the first level or two of the game. This means tactics dont change much, the pattern of combat stays from low lvl to end game.

So its easy to understand that at the beginning, its fresh…a positive emotional response occurs, but the more time invested into the game, the more progression that takes place…the less positive that emotional response becomes. Its not hard to understand that it turns negative when the design of the game is limiting the mechanics and challenges which can keep players with positive emotional responses. What is the challenge of the game? What is its core? DPS and avoidance, repeating patterns and lack of meaningful challenge. Limited choice means limited play styles. Lack of progression means lack of goal (Skins for weapons are not necessary a character progression replacement).

The end result is you have a weak foundation for the game and thus its not hard to see more alienation occur at a faster rate. That is guild wars 2 in its current state.

(edited by SoulSaga.2390)

Posted by: Lord Rager.8543

Lord Rager.8543

Even with the bugs and what not, i enjoy GW2 more than I enjoy any other MMO besides 1(GW1). Wish Anet would add a few thing but I can wait for them to do so since I dont even need to send $15 a month(but I i do anyways…..kitten gems store)

Commander The Tallest Rager
Darkhaven Asuran Guardian
S O T D Warband [SotD]

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Couldn’t agree with you more.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Did you look to see if you were reading the same 10-20 people’s opinions?

Indeed. There is a pattern on forums if you notice. A lot of the complaints are written by the same folks.

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

Indeed. There is a pattern on forums if you notice. A lot of the complaints are written by the same folks.

A lot of the praise is written by the same folks too. Forum Wars 2 has regular combatants who duke it out in epic verbal sparring with cleverly disguised insults.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

So…the topic you make as a rebuttal to people saying something is wrong, is not by refuting their ideas with logical discourse or by trying to disprove what they are saying, but instead saying “Bwahahahah, crybabies and illiterates!! I’m right and you’re wrong :P”.

Sounds like you’d fit right in.

ryan.5106

Being completely objective about my posts, I can see where you would come to the conclusion that I am a hypocrite. I do have to disagree with you though. Jemmi hit the nail on the head. I’m not simply complaining about other complainers for the sake of complaining. Positive feedback is my ultimate goal. Jemmi is right too, I do get frustrated by the constant stream of undeserved negativity that seems so pervasive in the online community.

My philosophy on positive feedback doesn’t necessarily constitute a culture of overt “niceness” or naiveté. Positive feedback includes constructive criticism as opposed to oversimplified whining about something. Anyone who has kids, or has spent any amount of time caring for children will understand what I mean by this. You make dinner for your kid, and it doesn’t matter if you made a plate full of their favorite foods, they will always find something on that plate that they will refuse to eat for whatever reason. As a parent you ask “why?” and the only response you get will be “because I don’t like it…”. What the hell are you suppose to say to that? It’s completely irrational. They didn’t give you anything to work with! How can you improve the situation? Simple answer is you can’t. Constructive criticism on the other hand provides you as the provider a possible solution to the problem. You ask “why?” and they respond with “it doesn’t taste like it usually does, I don’t think there’s enough salt and pepper.”. Ok! Something to work with, “here’s the salt and pepper, now eat!”

That is how I view positive feedback as related to constructive criticism. You have made a positive contribution geared towards solving the problem. Constructive criticism fosters a cooperative relationship between two people or two groups in which there is adequate enough communication between two parties conducive to solving a problem. So yes, I get frustrated with baseless whining and unsupported claims because they are irrational and ultimately counterproductive.

ryan.5106

So…the topic you make as a rebuttal to people saying something is wrong, is not by refuting their ideas with logical discourse or by trying to disprove what they are saying, but instead saying “Bwahahahah, crybabies and illiterates!! I’m right and you’re wrong :P”.

Well, that’s an interesting way of trying to tell someone you think they’re a hypocrite. Since you have opted to weigh in on this discussion, feel free to elaborate with your “logical discourse” exactly who’s arguments you feel I am trying to disprove? I’m curious. At least Indigosundown offered reasons for why he thought that I was wrong, and thus offered an opportunity for civil debate. You on the other hand reacted emotionally and misinterpreted my posts. You failed to provide reasons for why my assessment was erroneous and is lacking any real substance. Please explain to me what your point is.

I can only assume that you are implying that a torrent of generalized ignorance is the perfect solution to getting what you want. Am I wrong to assume that? My point was, and still is, that if you can’t present your case in a collaborative manner then you offer the people that you want something from absolutely nothing to work with. They can not help you if you are simply whining. They will not help you if they do not respect you. If you refuse to grasp the basic mechanics of the english language then you discredit yourself and shut out any potential that people will listen to you. So please, enlighten me, what exactly are you driving at?

killcannon.2576

Well, that’s an interesting way of trying to tell someone you think they’re a hypocrite. Since you have opted to weigh in on this discussion, feel free to elaborate with your “logical discourse” exactly who’s arguments you feel I am trying to disprove? I’m curious. At least Indigosundown offered reasons for why he thought that I was wrong, and thus offered an opportunity for civil debate. You on the other hand reacted emotionally and misinterpreted my posts. You failed to provide reasons for why my assessment was erroneous and is lacking any real substance. Please explain to me what your point is.

I can only assume that you are implying that a torrent of generalized ignorance is the perfect solution to getting what you want. Am I wrong to assume that? My point was, and still is, that if you can’t present your case in a collaborative manner then you offer the people that you want something from absolutely nothing to work with. They can not help you if you are simply whining. They will not help you if they do not respect you. If you refuse to grasp the basic mechanics of the english language then you discredit yourself and shut out any potential that people will listen to you. So please, enlighten me, what exactly are you driving at?

If you feel someone makes a bad case of posting their issue on a forum, state that you disagree and refute their case with logical discourse in that topic. Making an entire general topic about some nebulous posters somewhere who are posting about something, and then calling them illiterate and whiners seems to be the exact thing you are upset about others doing.

Many non native english speakers use these forums, for whatever reason they choose. Painting a broad swath of calling these people uneducated and ignorant seems to me to imply certain things about people who would use those terms.

If a person doesn’t feel they can effectively participate in civil discourse with people, I don’t believe making a thread about it will help .

ryan.5106

If you feel someone makes a bad case of posting their issue on a forum, state that you disagree and refute their case with logical discourse in that topic. Making an entire general topic about some nebulous posters somewhere who are posting about something, and then calling them illiterate and whiners seems to be the exact thing you are upset about others doing.

Many non native english speakers use these forums, for whatever reason they choose. Painting a broad swath of calling these people uneducated and ignorant seems to me to imply certain things about people who would use those terms.

If a person doesn’t feel they can effectively participate in civil discourse with people, I don’t believe making a thread about it will help .

You’re right, and I didn’t intend to give anyone the impression that I was talking about the people who didn’t grow up speaking english. They’re usually pretty easy to pick out because of their misunderstanding of things like contractions. I don’t want to give anyone the impression that I’m targeting those individuals because and I apologize if I came across that way. If I had some specific examples of the kinds of posts that I’m referring to I would gladly provide them. The characteristics I’m referring to are the posts that basically just say “ZOMG, THEY BROKEDED IT!!! FIX IT NAO OR I WON’T PLAY NO MORE!”.

That just doesn’t solve anything, and there is no way to refute something like that because it’s simply too arbitrary. It’s the written equivalent of a temper tantrum. I probably should have been more specific about what I was talking about in my previous posts. The reason why I created this post is because there were entirely too many of those types of posts to suggest that they clean up their act on an individual basis, I would have been here for a week straight. And before anyone says it, I know that it’s not my place, but this is a trend that I see as being linked with a multitude of other problems with our culture. Our collective narcissism and unreasonable standpoint that “you can’t correct anyone because you might hurt their feelings” is creating a downward spiral of ineptitude that is grossly apparent in places like these forums, and quite frankly I’m thoroughly disturbed by it.

I would like to say however that I appreciate everyones contribution to this discussion. And thank you for clarifying Killcannon. I do see where you’re coming from. I’ll try to be more specific in the future.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

there is like 2% of the total playerbase that visiting the forums so dont worry the majority are not here not even close

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Seriously addicting game is seriously addicting.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

killcannon.2576

there is like 2% of the total playerbase that visiting the forums so dont worry the majority are not here not even close

Take this post for instance. There is no way to tell with the information available to the general poster what percentage of the playerbase does or does not use the forums. These posts are often backed up by someone saying something about a “silent majority” are quite happy with everything and would agree with the poster if only they spoke up.

On the contrary, no one knows what the silent majority thinks, because they are silent. In the same vein I could say that the majority of players hate the game and see no reason posting because they see no hope of change. Neither the original post or my example have any basis in fact or logic.

To answer the original question of the topic, I really enjoy this game

(edited by killcannon.2576)

ryan.5106

Take this post for instance. There is no way to tell with the information available to the general poster what percentage of the playerbase does or does not use the forums. These posts are often backed up by someone saying something about a “silent majority” are quite happy with everything and would agree with the poster if only they spoke up.

On the contrary, no one knows what the silent majority thinks, because they are silent. In the same vein I could say that the majority of players hate the game and see no reason posting because they see no hope of change. Neither the original post or my example have any basis in fact or logic.

To answer the original question of the topic, I really enjoy this game

Yeah, arbitrary statistics are difficult to confirm or deny. I enjoy this game, it’s not the only one, but I have been known to spend a lot of my free time in the world of Tyria. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings one bit of the silent majority would be less silent. It’s important for people to express their opinions as long as they do it in an intelligent way. I also believe in providing congratulatory remarks to those who deserve it, not just constructive criticism if you’re unhappy with the way a product you have invested money in doesn’t live up to your expectations. So on that note…

Good work to the development teams at Arena Net, this is a well made game, and I’ve received a lot of enjoyment from it.

To the forum moderators… thanks? I guess. Whatever.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Wow so you like the game, but then in the same sentence you put other players down?

Many things in this game need fixing, class balance, game mechanics, dungeons, time gated content and many many other aspects need looking at…

But many many have been fixed due to complaints from this very same forum, if no one had complained would issues have been fixed? who knows..

People on the forum are multiple ages, come from many ethnic backgrounds or maybe didn’t have the best education, it happens… its a forum to get your thoughts and issues across to the developers, be it good or bad…

Is Guildwars 2 a good game… yes, is it the best MMO, not yet.. not to me it isn’t, needs too many things fixed, then when they are sorted it maybe the best, who knows..

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

They added classes?!?!? Oh wait, nevermind!

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

ryan.5106

Wow so you like the game, but then in the same sentence you put other players down?

Many things in this game need fixing, class balance, game mechanics, dungeons, time gated content and many many other aspects need looking at…

But many many have been fixed due to complaints from this very same forum, if no one had complained would issues have been fixed? who knows..

People on the forum are multiple ages, come from many ethnic backgrounds or maybe didn’t have the best education, it happens… its a forum to get your thoughts and issues across to the developers, be it good or bad…

Is Guildwars 2 a good game… yes, is it the best MMO, not yet.. not to me it isn’t, needs too many things fixed, then when they are sorted it maybe the best, who knows..

Who ever said that GW2 was the best MMO ever? I just said that Arena Net has marketed a great product. I’m not a programmer, so I make concessions for certain imperfections that I come across while playing the game. I’m not making any comparisons between games, I’m stating that this game has brought me a lot of fun and enjoyment (like countless others) and I’m stating that I am happy with the product. I can only begin to imagine the hell that is trying to program a working MMO, so I’m not going to wax intellectual about whether or not the development team did it “right”. I’m sure that the changes a lot of people want to see in the game are subject to the restrictions of the code for the game. In my opinion they have done a great job based on those restrictions.

IndigoSundown.5419

Being completely objective about my posts, I can see where you would come to the conclusion that I am a hypocrite. I do have to disagree with you though. Jemmi hit the nail on the head. I’m not simply complaining about other complainers for the sake of complaining. Positive feedback is my ultimate goal. Jemmi is right too, I do get frustrated by the constant stream of undeserved negativity that seems so pervasive in the online community.

My philosophy on positive feedback doesn’t necessarily constitute a culture of overt “niceness” or naiveté. Positive feedback includes constructive criticism as opposed to oversimplified whining about something. Anyone who has kids, or has spent any amount of time caring for children will understand what I mean by this. You make dinner for your kid, and it doesn’t matter if you made a plate full of their favorite foods, they will always find something on that plate that they will refuse to eat for whatever reason. As a parent you ask “why?” and the only response you get will be “because I don’t like it…”. What the hell are you suppose to say to that? It’s completely irrational. They didn’t give you anything to work with! How can you improve the situation? Simple answer is you can’t. Constructive criticism on the other hand provides you as the provider a possible solution to the problem. You ask “why?” and they respond with “it doesn’t taste like it usually does, I don’t think there’s enough salt and pepper.”. Ok! Something to work with, “here’s the salt and pepper, now eat!”

That is how I view positive feedback as related to constructive criticism. You have made a positive contribution geared towards solving the problem. Constructive criticism fosters a cooperative relationship between two people or two groups in which there is adequate enough communication between two parties conducive to solving a problem. So yes, I get frustrated with baseless whining and unsupported claims because they are irrational and ultimately counterproductive.

I get it. Such posts can be frustrating. I have to suppress my desire to react with emotion. Why do I bother? Belittling others’ posts, no matter how well deserved this might be, is going to generate a reaction to the belittling, as opposed to discussion of any “real” issues. You’ll notice that I did not call you a hypocrite, though you imply that I think you are. Actually, I understood the frustration but thought that positive discourse was going to be (and has been) derailed by name-calling. If I had called you a hypocrite instead of the approach i took, would we be having this conversation, or would you ahve blown me off?

Vayne.8563

By my count there are less than ten people who post here regularly who have serious issues with the game. Because they post a lot and back each other up, it seems like there’s a whole lot of negativity on the forum. There’s really not. There’s a handful of guys who are all kitten for different reasons. And those reasons are completely legitimate—to them. They should be allowed to have their say, as long as what they’re saying has some basis in reality and they’re not just making stuff up because they feel hurt and see everything through a veneer of disappointment.

Saying the game is not doing well, for example, when they don’t know. Their opinion is based on the idea that they don’t like the game, so no one is playing it. Or they think their opinion is so wide spread that it represents the majority.

Obviously I do enjoy the game, and I do enjoy coming here and talking to the people who don’t, not for them, but for other people who are watching and aren’t posting.

But don’t let the naysayers get you down. Their opinion is worth as much as ours…but not more. And others who are reading what they say will see the other side of things as long as people who like the game keep posting in response.

Of course, the game needs some work..but that’s true of every MMO in existence.

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

Weird perception. There are more than ten who post here regularly with concerns about the game. There are also more than ten who post here regularly praising the game. Apparently counting is difficult for some people.

The negativity is about as much as any major gaming forum I’ve visited over the years. From what I’ve read, statistically most people don’t even visit the forums, so it’s not even a significant factor if they are “negative.” The majority of players are going to form their opinion of the game playing it, rather than whatever is said on a forum they don’t even read. When people feel a need to constantly defend the game anytime a criticism is made—that’s irrational and leads to a kind of myopia that prevents any serious and constructive criticism from ever getting off the ground.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

Strange in the the world we live in now to think the majority of players do not visit the forums, seems crazy to me. Especially given the genre we are playing.

Should add it to the leaderboards perhaps, be interesting to see how many really do visit =D

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Apparently all forums are predominantly negative. This wasn’t my find, but i think it’s a great read. :-)
Taming the forum tiger.
http://www.eldergame.com/2008/06/taming-the-forum-tiger/

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Internet Trolls enjoy playing GW2. Gotcha.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

ryan.5106

[quote=1862836;IndigoSundown.5419:]

Vayne.8563

Weird perception. There are more than ten who post here regularly with concerns about the game. There are also more than ten who post here regularly praising the game. Apparently counting is difficult for some people.

The negativity is about as much as any major gaming forum I’ve visited over the years. From what I’ve read, statistically most people don’t even visit the forums, so it’s not even a significant factor if they are “negative.” The majority of players are going to form their opinion of the game playing it, rather than whatever is said on a forum they don’t even read. When people feel a need to constantly defend the game anytime a criticism is made—that’s irrational and leads to a kind of myopia that prevents any serious and constructive criticism from ever getting off the ground.

I can count just fine. But I’m not talking about the guys that have legit complaints about the game. I’m talking about the guys who say its’ dying with no evidence, or this feature won’t be coming with no evidence, or saying pretty much anything that’s negative just to get in a cheap jibe.

Saying the game is dying, for example, can’t in any way be construed as constructive. I’m quite happy to entertain constructive criticism of the game. That’s not the issue. It’s the guys who are so kitten because this game isn’t what they expected that they think everyone feels as they do. There are less than ten of them.

Posted by: tolkien.6317

tolkien.6317

In response to the OP, I want to enjoy it, I really do. But as I’ve said before there are so many things working at cross purposes.

However, the biggest issue I have right now is that despite all the obvious effort gone to make the game not be a grind, it’s a total exploration grind now, only it’s got JUMP PUZZLES which are ^&%$#@! annoying to anyone who dislikes platformers and was burned out on that lame mechanic years ago. I spend all my time completing the POI etc. in a map and then moving on.

So much effort has been put into the visuals, which are gorgeous, and the gameplay mechanics are structured to move you through as fast as possible so not only do you stop noticing, you end up trying to figure out why despite all the beauty it really does not feel like a world at all.

There are really so many elements that go toward this effect, but I’ll spare you. Suffice to say that no, I’m not really enjoying it. I’ll take my character to 80 and see how the endgame looks.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I enjoy playing this game because it looks and feels wonderful, and I find a lot of complaints levied against this game to be somewhat ridiculous.

However, accept that certain aspects of the game make other people unhappy. There are certain things about this game that are indefensible, such as the broken LFG tool, and the pitiful trading post interface that doesn’t filter out items you can’t use. The badly scaled laurel prices for Rings, Amulets, and Earrings are definitely not a non-issue.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

I enjoy GWII more than any other game I have ever played due to three reasons: freedom, PvP and the story.

I can literally do whatever I want to do and be rewarded for it.

Being upleveled to max level and instand access to best-in-slot gear? I ask for no more than that.

And as far as the story goes, I have never felt more connected to my character than when I do my personal story.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: smeen.4237

smeen.4237

I enjoy playing GW2 a lot. I have atritis in my left arm and most games are hard to play (coughTERAcough) but GW2 is actually pretty easy in controls.

Except jumping puzzles.

Anyway, of course I’m in a nice guild where everybody treats everybody good and we do loads of stuff together, so it’s also the social experience.

And it looks amazing. And it sounds amazing.

And I got attached to my PCs.