I use a Razer Orbweaver keypad, any thoughts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

Hey guys, I’m just curious to know if there is a few or many people that use keypads for pc games. I have used 3 different ones for the past 3 years and this are the Razer Nostromo, Razer Tartarus and my favorite one Razer Orbweaver.
When i started playing gw2 i had my Razer Nostromo so i never knew or felt the feeling of playing with a regular keyboard, like many other people do. I have tried playing gw2 with my keyboard and it seems impossible for me to react as quick as compared to my keypad. the keys are just too far apart and i attend to press keys all over the place. my wrist gets kind of sore and even if i rebind the keys, it just doesnt feel the same.

but with a keypad, everything is organize, my hand and wrist feel comfortable. i dont have to worry about lifting my hand for anything when im in combat because all the keys are within reach. Not to mention because my mouse has side buttons i can make extra hotkeys for all the other panel windows but i wont get into that because thats on a different personal level.

so how do you guys do it? play with a keyboard lol
is it unfair to everyone else that plays with a keyboard?

no, i dont use macros. i dont have a need or reason to, not to mention their against the rules.

I didnt find any guides or keymaps for gw2, so i decided to share mines
I’ll post a picture of the keymaps below and this are just my opinion.

feel free to share yours keymaps, opinion/thoughts or criticize me and others for playing with keypads.
Thanks

Attachments:

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Ive been using a Logitech G13 for many years now, approx. 4+ and its still running perfectly even after 9k hours played in GW2, I would never buy a Razor product again after experiencing the terrible build quality of their keyboards (Had a Razor Lycossa).
I could not play without my G13, it is far superior to a keyboard.

Posted by: dulfy.1493

dulfy.1493

I had the Orbweaver, two of them in fact, for a few months. They only lasted a couple months before breaking it apart. The glue on the pad was not strong enough and the palm pad eventually came off. You can probably fix it by removing the glue and reapply it again but I didn’t really bother. I used them exclusively in SAB and with all the jumps they didn’t last long

darkaheart.4265

Ive been using a Logitech G13 for many years now, approx. 4+ and its still running perfectly even after 9k hours played in GW2, I would never buy a Razor product again after experiencing the terrible build quality of their keyboards (Had a Razor Lycossa).
I could not play without my G13, it is far superior to a keyboard.

I had the Orbweaver, two of them in fact, for a few months. They only lasted a couple months before breaking it apart. The glue on the pad was not strong enough and the palm pad eventually came off. You can probably fix it by removing the glue and reapply it again but I didn’t really bother. I used them exclusively in SAB and with all the jumps they didn’t last long

oh that sucks, i own those 3 keypads, keyboard and mouse and i havent had any problems, hardware wise of course, the software synapse is something else though…

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

Posted by: Azure Fang.8605

Azure Fang.8605

Razer products are terrible, second only to Saitek.

I run a full Logitech setup, partly due to brand loyalty, but mostly due to overall product quality. They tend to be expensive, but they also tend to be worth it (except when you learn how heavy a G510s is by having it fall off of your tower and catch the nail bed of one of your toes with its chisel edge – keyboard survived, toe is still growing out the shattered nail fragments).

• G13 used under most circumstances. Three different control palettes configured depending on situation (PvE, PvP and WvW) for GW2, and even have general control palettes for everyday PC use.
  • G510s when a full keyboard is necessary or more comfortable (usually sits on my lap anyway while my G13 and mouse are on the arms of my chair). Instrument macros and emotes are configured on the G Keys here, as well as map reminders for Teq, Breach and VW strategies.
  • M570 – yes, a trackball – for my mouse. Mumble PTT key is mapped to M4, full GW2 map to M5. Left click is starting to break down – a common issue with the M570 – but I just need to open the case and coat the contact pad with crazy glue to fix it. In the meantime, I’ve been practicing with mouse emulation mode on the G13 – not ideal, but serviceable.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Been using this family of products for well over 10 years now. Razer certainly didn’t help their reputation by buying it out and then releasing the orbweaver with a palm rest glue that liquifies and turns into a gooey mess after a couple months. I had to strip and re-glue mine and it’s held up surprisingly well after that.

If Logitech put out a similar product I’d buy it in a heartbeat. So, so much more comfortable for gaming.

I’d stay away from the orbweaver due to that serious glue problem, but if that ever gets fixed I couldn’t recommend this type of game pad more.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Razer products are terrible,.

I feel this way about logitech, lol

trackball

lol nope.

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

~snip~

• M570 – yes, a trackball – for my mouse. Mumble PTT key is mapped to M4, full GW2 map to M5. Left click is starting to break down – a common issue with the M570 – but I just need to open the case and coat the contact pad with crazy glue to fix it. In the meantime, I’ve been practicing with mouse emulation mode on the G13 – not ideal, but serviceable.

That’s funny, I thought I was the only one that used the M570 Trackball in this game! I have a legitimate reason thought, the machine I play on also doubles as an AutoCAD machine, and that mouse is perfect for long AutoCAD sessions.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Azure Fang.8605

Azure Fang.8605

~snip~

That’s funny, I thought I was the only one that used the M570 Trackball in this game! I have a legitimate reason thought, the machine I play on also doubles as an AutoCAD machine, and that mouse is perfect for long AutoCAD sessions.

I have moderate to severe Essential Tremors, so my accuracy on a “traditional” mouse is… let’s just say “lacking”. Between the inherent accuracy of the trackball, plus a couple decades of training, I’m to the point that I’m more accurate on a trackball in twitch reflex scenarios than most “hardcore” gamers are using traditionals. But of course, since it’s a trackball, it’s immediately “lol nope”, as the previous poster so eloquently put it, in the eyes of most gamers. If more people would actually TRY a trackball and get used to it, they’d see it has its own merits over a “crap I just overran my mousepad / the laser just hit a flaw and rocketed my cursor across the screen” traditional. But meh, to each their own

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

“crap I just overran my mousepad / the laser just hit a flaw and rocketed my cursor across the screen”

I haven’t had the mouse fall off the end of my pad since I was a wee lad.
…and I’m pretty sure the sort of cursor issues you described is something that happened in the early 2000’s (I havent seen anything like that happen in over ten years)

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions about gaming peripherals.

I use a razer lycosa and a death adder… and to me…. my thumb just feels like it should be for dodge rolling or hitting my push to talk.

Attachments:

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Please tell me … can the thumbpad on the orbweaver be used for ground targeting? I’m buying one tomorrow if that can be programmed.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

darkaheart.4265

Please tell me … can the thumbpad on the orbweaver be used for ground targeting? I’m buying one tomorrow if that can be programmed.

I have never tried to use it that way because the ground targeting occurs automatically with the mouse so i don’t thing it’ll work with the directional thumbpad. it’s not like a controllers joystick so i wouldn’t use to move around either.

If you do get it I’ll recommend the stealth edition and it comes in handy for other programs such as photoshop, video editing, etc. that require shortcuts. That’s just my opinion

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

Another trackball user here. Took about half a year to get used to.

Only thing I’m jealous of is the hundreds of gaming mice with tons of buttons … and not one gaming trackball.

Posted by: Graiskye.5260

Graiskye.5260

~snip~

I have moderate to severe Essential Tremors, so my accuracy on a “traditional” mouse is… let’s just say “lacking”. Between the inherent accuracy of the trackball, plus a couple decades of training, I’m to the point that I’m more accurate on a trackball in twitch reflex scenarios than most “hardcore” gamers are using traditionals. But of course, since it’s a trackball, it’s immediately “lol nope”, as the previous poster so eloquently put it, in the eyes of most gamers. If more people would actually TRY a trackball and get used to it, they’d see it has its own merits over a “crap I just overran my mousepad / the laser just hit a flaw and rocketed my cursor across the screen” traditional. But meh, to each their own

LOL. Ive been using whatever crap laser mouse happens to be plugged in for ohhhhhh 10 years now, havent used a mouse pad in at least 6-7, and the number of times the mouse cursor has stopped responding or jumped across the screen is ZERO. To my best recollection it has never happened I have played a boat load of online games, worn out the buttons on 2 or 3 cheap mice, and never once.
Occasionally a bit of lint or more likely one of my dogs hair will get stuk in the little laser hole and that screws it up.
I remember crap like that with the ball mice, remember having to clean it all the time, all the time, just seemed to be the nature of using a rolling ball and physical sensors.
I have also used a good quality track ball and they are nice, but too try too say that you use a your trackball essentially because a regular mouse is jumping all over the screen and cutting out regularly is crap.
I use a softwood table, pinewood, it has marks, dents, scrapes and scars all over it, it is battle scarred. So it is, I have to reason, about as uneven a surface as you can probably get aside from using pavement, and I don’t even notice.
Dont be dissin on my cheap mouses homie, you know they rocksolid.

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

G13 is the best.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

I probably have one of the oddest setups for gw2. I bought an orbweaver and tried it out, it was very comfortable but the thumbstick is 8 way digital instead of an analog stick, so you can’t use it for movement. Then I bought a G13, it has the analog stick, but my wrist laying flat isn’t very comfortable for me. I returned them both. Seemed solid, but not for me.

So finally, I bought a g700 mouse which has 12 buttons on it, as well as a razer sabertooth which is an xbox 360 controller with 3 additional buttons (on the underside).

I keep the controller in my left hand, and the mouse in my right hand. The mouse has 5 of its buttons bound to numbers 1-5. The controller has modifier buttons (through xpadder), like shift and ctrl. So I can hit all attacks, utilities (shift), and f keys(ctrl) without looking away from the screen in any way.

Weird set up, but it avoids wrist pain for me, and gives me an analog stick for movement (which I love) while also giving me a mouse (which I also love).

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

The orb weaver is just a glue time bomb. Do not buy until they come out with a version that does not self destruct.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i play with a gaming mouse so i dont need a keypad to squish together the necessary keyboard keybinds

my razer hex is 14 months old and hasnt broken. its seen heavy use.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

(edited by insanemaniac.2456)

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

Never tried the different keypad controllers. I’ve been using my Razer Naga for a few years now and it works great.

As for the talk about trackballs, I also have one. A logitech with a center ball, for when my right wrist start to hurt. After a while, using a trackball is second nature and easy to use.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

they’d see it has its own merits over a “crap I just overran my mousepad / the laser just hit a flaw and rocketed my cursor across the screen” traditional. But meh, to each their own

Those sounds like issues you’d have a written a crappy shredded mousepad or too low a sensitivity setting. Easily avoided by just not using crappy peripherals and making sure you have a mousepad large enough for your sensitivity. I use a $12 Sharkk gaming mouse and a $1 mousepad and I’ve never had an issue like that.

I personally stick to KB+M because it’s the most versatile and most confortable. I think I need to sell my Poseidon and get something with greens or swap in stiffer springs, though. They blues in it are far too light.

I personally generally recommend against Razer, though. Too many people I know having their stuff wear out after 6 months, and talk on the Internet backs it up. Logitech move and a quality (Das/Ducky/Code/CM or some other decent brand) mechanical keyboard are the way to go.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Fermi.2409)

darkaheart.4265

how do you guys use the Orbweaver that the palm pad glue came off? I have the Stealth edition so idk if they could have fix it but i doubt it. all i do is place my palm and position the orbweaver at angle to where is comfortable and then i dont move at all but my fingers hhmm

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

how do you guys use the Orbweaver that the palm pad glue came off? I have the Stealth edition so idk if they could have fix it but i doubt it. all i do is place my palm and position the orbweaver at angle to where is comfortable and then i dont move at all but my fingers hhmm

I have small hands so I have to tilt the palm rest forward to hit the top row of keys. When I bought it I scoffed at the talk about the glue problems and didn’t think I’d have a problem until I did. Both the rubber pads have since come off. Thankfully after cleaning off the glue the plastic underneath is sufficient.

Posted by: Vyx.8607

Vyx.8607

I prefer to keep movement on WASD and dedicate most of my left hand to that. Everything else is on a razer naga mouse. That provides plenty of speed. F1-F4 is bound to shift-1 to shift-4 to allow shift + naga click

Henge of Denravi – Denravi Alliance [DA]
WvW Community: Forums, Videos, GvG – http://www.gw2wvw.net

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

I find it amusing that where one set of people have problems with one set of equipment other set have no problems.

I use a Nostromo and a Naga. Both by Razer. I run a original Z Board Keyboard. Both the Naga and Nostromo have been used for 3 – 5 years with no problems. I had problems with Logitech Keyboards where they failed after a short amount of time. I moved back to my Z Board and have used that for about 8 – 9 years with a single hiccup.

I always wondered about the Orb-weaver but as I didn’t think and couldn’t find any info on if it had the jump button I never thought to buy it. So thank you for showing me that there is a Jump Button. I like the thought of extra buttons. The Nostromo could use more for sure. There is the option of Tartarus as well again tho I am unsure if it has a jump button.

I am thinking of getting a Death-stalker Ultimate.

With the fact that HoT looks to have more F keys for Rangers and Mesmers – It might be time to upgrade.

darkaheart.4265

I find it amusing that where one set of people have problems with one set of equipment other set have no problems.

I use a Nostromo and a Naga. Both by Razer. I run a original Z Board Keyboard. Both the Naga and Nostromo have been used for 3 – 5 years with no problems. I had problems with Logitech Keyboards where they failed after a short amount of time. I moved back to my Z Board and have used that for about 8 – 9 years with a single hiccup.

I always wondered about the Orb-weaver but as I didn’t think and couldn’t find any info on if it had the jump button I never thought to buy it. So thank you for showing me that there is a Jump Button. I like the thought of extra buttons. The Nostromo could use more for sure. There is the option of Tartarus as well again tho I am unsure if it has a jump button.

With the fact that HoT looks to have more F keys for Rangers and Mesmers – It might be time to upgrade.

The Razer Tartarus is mini update to the Nostromo. I bought the Tartarus second and Orbweaver last and let me tell you those mechanical keys +5 extra keys do make a upgrade. I look back to my nostromo and i cant go back to it lol even though it was my first razer product

I have tried the naga and the keys feel too small and squish. I have tried the Razer Hex but the overall mice is too small compare to my mamba. If they would made a mamba shape mice with 4-6 mechanical keys on the side that are not too small ill even pre order it.

Posted by: HelloKittyZOMG.1875

HelloKittyZOMG.1875

I just use a portable keyboard and mouse by microsoft, I mainly use them because I use my 55 inch tv screen as my monitor so I sit back in my recliner to play.
I honestly think whatever that is looks weird, but then again I have never seen one in person nor have I ever tried one.
I guess the issue is, I wouldn’t know if I could utilize one the same way I can my mouse and keyboard.
I am very efficient with the setup I have now, typing, and well gaming comes naturally I can do both extremely fast with rarely any slip ups.
I always heard if it’s not broke don’t fix it. :P

Oh may I add I also have a Sims 4 mouse, headset, and the little plumbob light up thingy as I’m a big Sims fan. :P
Christmas before last I did buy a gaming mouse and keyboard for my brother that lit up green, it looked neat but again I am more into speed and performance over looks.

(edited by HelloKittyZOMG.1875)

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

The Razer Tartarus is mini update to the Nostromo. I bought the Tartarus second and Orbweaver last and let me tell you those mechanical keys +5 extra keys do make a upgrade. I look back to my nostromo and i cant go back to it lol even though it was my first razer product

I have tried the naga and the keys feel too small and squish. I have tried the Razer Hex but the overall mice is too small compare to my mamba. If they would made a mamba shape mice with 4-6 mechanical keys on the side that are not too small ill even pre order it.

The Early Naga was definitely a small mouse. I don’t like the Hex. The newer Naga’s have the option to make it wider via different side hand grips and makes it better for larger hands.