I've redesigned the UI & the official website

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MasterOfMistakes.2089

MasterOfMistakes.2089

I enjoy this new UI very much, love the focus for visual appeal.

Also thank you for still keeping the “tabs for X” since there are times I see people just want to see there equipment or just minis, good job and thank you for your hard work.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

There’s clearly a lot of work in there.

But I’m afraid many of your designs won’t fit the game very well.

You try to pack too much stuff in little room, and leave no room for future additions.

There’s lots of nice stuff there that could be used, though, like the dropdown list replacing the fixed list that uses all that room and is so uncomfortable.

I wrote a more in-depth explanation about everything, but the kitten forum won’t save what you wrote when it gets one of its many constant errors, and I forgot to copy my text before replying, so it was all lost.

As for the website, you are ignoring the wiki. Everything you ask for is in the wiki. The problem is people now knowing that. Maybe an in-game panel with the wiki could solve that, using the same method used for the trading post, but read-only, still having to use an external browser for editing and visiting external links, for security reasons.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Shift Focus.9083

Shift Focus.9083

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, FREAKING YES! Implement this please!

ALSO, GOOD WORK.

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

I would certainly love a bit of a revamp of the game ui – specially the hero panel is a bit of a jumbled mess, just now. I love the functionality of your ideas, but I’ll join in with the critique that it seems in general a little too dense, both with features and with visuals.

Posted by: ICY.9382

ICY.9382

I think this is a pretty good resume. Don’t you agree Anet?

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

Great job! Anet should take notes of some of your ideas… Or hire you! Love the LS character profiles, I feel right now they’re just too plain and this would give them a lot of depth and make LS more enjoyable and actually you could approach it like a “Story”.

Keep it up!

Posted by: Krisstoof.1867

Krisstoof.1867

I wish to get this even in some addon.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Mein gott im himmel, that is beautiful.

Anet, hire this man. Now.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Still no Anet Posting from at least Gaile in here ….

sheesh …

This needs more support then!!

#HireAmaxForNewUXDesigner

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: IncognituZ.9416

IncognituZ.9416

pretty good work!

yes please!

Kodash

Posted by: das neue spiel.5902

das neue spiel.5902

awesome work dude keep going

Posted by: neneza.6954

neneza.6954

This is great! Good job man.

I really like this Ui redesign. Everything is great, especially lore and guild panel.

This topic needs to be on first page.

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

About the Lore Journal.. Wouldn’t it be more suited to integrate it into the Durmond Priory library? With this kind of design somehow of course.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Most of my thoughts, good and bad have been said, so I will just say a few things.

Some of the UI redesign seems like it would be more mouse clicks for little benefit – specifically the LFG. Personally, if I want to run a dungeon, I want to see them all, not chose upfront. The hero panel still requires multiple clicks and looks crowded. I would prefer to see buttons to click that I could see at all times and would change to that window. It’s still always visible to a player, but easier to get to compared to a pull down menu or the existing UI.

The design obviously looks very nice and a lot of work went into it. You have skills, no denying that. I personally love the art direction of GW2 and don’t want that to change. I also don’t want my UI or website to look like it was designed for a mobile device. When designing for a customer, you have to take their needs into consideration, not just design something pretty (trust me, I hate it too). The fonts you’ve used are not at all right for the art direction of the game.

I do love the functionality of the lore section.

Posted by: Mono.7320

Mono.7320

I like this a lot! especially LFG system with pictures its much more user friendly.

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

Awesome.
Only one issue. Remove the BUY DUNGEON PATH, seriously?

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Posted by: Aviate.1376

Aviate.1376

One word. Amazing job.

Posted by: Rethmar Stokestrike.1927

Rethmar Stokestrike.1927

An absolutely amazing redesign. There’s a few cluttery parts about it, but over all it’s very well thought out.

YOU’RE HIRED.

GS Berzerker Builds: Making Wammo style Warriors cry since 2012.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Awesome.
Only one issue. Remove the BUY DUNGEON PATH, seriously?

Yeah. That’s a problem to be addressed too. They don’t want to kitten off players doing that, but they should not cater to that kind of gameplay either, in which people does the content up to the boss then cashes in. At the very least, people should be for the whole dungeon during the run, like when people rushed missions for others in GW1, so they may at least learn something from the rusher as they do the dungeon.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Wow, Anet no offense but take some notes from this guy he’s good.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Thanks for commenting, regarding your clutter issues and the fact that new players would be instantly be “thrown” into a lot of information is a valid statement. However please note that as stated in the document, some features would be hidden as in not visible till they reach a certain level.

For example the order would appear at level 35 I think, where you have to join an order, the crafting would be displayed at a certain level and so on. This way users would start with a UI that’s really basic at the early levels and tabs/slots would be revealed as they level up, similar to the current feature unlocks. Thus the design showcases it at level 80 when everything is unlocked.

For players who think it’s too cluttered or want a more simplistic view, some of the information could be displayed under a tab thus giving users a basic overview and a more detailed overview.

Regarding artwork use, you must understand that there are people who are more visual oriented, who have a visual memory and thus it’s easier for them to remember such things. For new players or existing players, having artwork displayed would help them identify/remember/ put a face to certain characters or generate curiosity/interest for a certain dungeon that they haven’t done before. As the saying goes “a picture is worth a thousand words” some people would get an easier understanding that PVP & WvW is for large competitive combat, while an image with a dungeon would make it easier for them to understand it’s something that you do in PVE. Also by using images you are required to read a lot less since you get the general idea from that said image thus the mentioned popular saying.

I am someone who is against level-locking content, in all its forms. What you are suggesting is exactly that, and that’s what ruined the NPE for me and a lot of people, so…no thanks.

On the art thing. I’m fine with artwork. There’s nothing wrong with that. There is a problem with saturating everything with it. There is a problem with clashing against the style that GW2’s menus are in now, and there is a problem with stacking menu on top of menu just to get the most basic things done.

I need to click through 3 menus just to read one entry in your lore journal design, then click back three times, just to read another entry. That’s not intuitive or easy to use in the least. It reminds me of the original FF 14, where you had to click through half a dozen menus just to make a sword, then half a dozen more just to equip the sword, then half a dozen more to accept a quest, invite someone to a party, find a group, etc. I don’t want that in this game.

Your new UI also clashes with the current GW2 style (and even clashes with your Character panel redesign)

Here’s something I was working on several months ago, but never finished (I did finish it somewhat to post a picture). Its a Lore Journal Idea, its UI ripped straight from the Achievement panel design. Not only is everything still neatly divided into several categories, and you can go to different categories at any time to read something else, but there is not 3 back buttons, because its not necessary, you can just click back on the category on the left to go back, or just click on a new one. I also had an idea for clicking on things in the entry itself to lead you to other pages, as well as having a related entries section on the bottom. Best thing is, it doesn’t clash with GW2’s current design/look.

It should probably look more like that instead of a windows 8 operating system. I’m not trying to attack you or try to say your idea sucks, but there most certainly are things in it that sucks and wont work with the current style that GW2 has.

Attachments:

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

+1
This is simply AMAZING! While some of these changes, mainly the website, feel a little bit “bold” or too much I really love it! I really like the LFG, Living Story, and Guild UI. A-net could really use someone like this on their team. In fact, since one of their UI designers left, and they said they have been lacking UI lately, there should be an open spot.

(edited by Rylen.2147)

Posted by: Age.9320

Age.9320

TL;DR Great job and I highly agree with the UIs presented

Well I know who to hire if I need UI work done! Here are my thoughts in a nutshell, but I feel kinda dumb commenting on it because this guy has 9+ years of experience of doing this for a living and I only have a fraction.

Character panel I like because everything is there in one panel therefore is more accessible which is the main problem now. I especially like the condensed layout for armor/weapons which leaves more room to work with. I’m on the fence with the guild swapping functionality being here and not in the guild panel.

I’m not a guild leader or officer so I can’t say much about the UI of the guild panel. However, I do like the idea of letting guild members know what you’re up to in case you’re early or others come on later. It seems optional too with the “Members looking for…” so you can just be “online”. I’d like to see what the other guild panel tabs would look like in his eyes.

Dat LFG tool. Visuals of dungeons/content help with faster navigation. Not so sure about adding the “Normal/Buy Dungeon path” as options. I didn’t see an Advertise Party UI but I assume it’s relatively the same. I’d love to see if that would be integrated into the UI or if it’s still a popup.

Story Journal I like. Again, pictures helps with navigation. The only problem I see is you would definitely need a scrolling option as more chapters are put in. A scrolling option wouldn’t be too bad since Chapters are added pretty much on a yearly basis. Episode listing is pretty nice; more of a visual makeover. Video is a nice touch too if people want to see trailers. Sidenote for ANet: I would like the Quit Episode to actually quit the episode and not leave the episode markers up (QQ)

Best of all is that addition of the Lore Journal (drool) would spent so much time reading that AND it helps entice players to learn some back story if they’re the type to click through story dialogue.

The website resign is visually appealing to anyone visiting the site. I do agree with the point about sliders. At first I was a bit concerned about how news was shown (2nd site page section) but it makes sense as he separated the in-game changes (left) from events (right). The new user page sections are REALLY good as it showcases that artistic style of GW2 as well as give information to entice players and the buy now showcase for the final touch.

And so I wait, and so I watch, but my hands are near to my blades – Drizzt Do’Urden

(edited by Age.9320)

Posted by: SilverCrow.8102

SilverCrow.8102

+1 on OP
I can definitely see the effort you have put into to this proposal that you posted.

I can definitely say that having visuals on navigation is really appetizing to see ( yeah ill eat it, cuz im starving while typing atm.) and as a regular gw2 player myself, imagining those UI integrated onto the game makes me want to play the story of my character more because of those visuals. (it depends on other people too though, not everyone i think prefers visuals? )

I would love to see what Anet has to say on this. I am assuming that Anet is probably busy right now having meetings and such to prep on PAX event.

and again, Kudos to you @amax.8034

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

I am someone who is against level-locking content, in all its forms. What you are suggesting is exactly that, and that’s what ruined the NPE for me and a lot of people, so…no thanks.

On the art thing. I’m fine with artwork. There’s nothing wrong with that. There is a problem with saturating everything with it. There is a problem with clashing against the style that GW2’s menus are in now, and there is a problem with stacking menu on top of menu just to get the most basic things done.

I need to click through 3 menus just to read one entry in your lore journal design, then click back three times, just to read another entry. That’s not intuitive or easy to use in the least. It reminds me of the original FF 14, where you had to click through half a dozen menus just to make a sword, then half a dozen more just to equip the sword, then half a dozen more to accept a quest, invite someone to a party, find a group, etc. I don’t want that in this game.

Your new UI also clashes with the current GW2 style (and even clashes with your Character panel redesign)

Here’s something I was working on several months ago, but never finished (I did finish it somewhat to post a picture). Its a Lore Journal Idea, its UI ripped straight from the Achievement panel design. Not only is everything still neatly divided into several categories, and you can go to different categories at any time to read something else, but there is not 3 back buttons, because its not necessary, you can just click back on the category on the left to go back, or just click on a new one. I also had an idea for clicking on things in the entry itself to lead you to other pages, as well as having a related entries section on the bottom. Best thing is, it doesn’t clash with GW2’s current design/look.

It should probably look more like that instead of a windows 8 operating system. I’m not trying to attack you or try to say your idea sucks, but there most certainly are things in it that sucks and wont work with the current style that GW2 has.

It’s extremely rare for me to defend GW2, but I have to agree with the above (curse you!).

I prefer the simplistic art style of the forums. It’s the functionality that needs to be fixed.

Moreover, the minimalistic approach to in-game UI/UX is perfectly fine (the armor designs should honestly have followed suit in that regard), and I believe that mini concept arts should stay clear of it, with the exception of LORE (see GW hero storybooks for reference) where I’d keep some images, but not as many, nor as large (if anything, large images should be used for individual chapters or seasons even) – kinda what the poster I quoted did, actually.

Moreover, my main qualm with the UI has always been that it couldn’t be adjusted to one’s preferences/needs like in GW, and that’s not something a graphical redesign can fix. In all honestly, why is customizable UI still not an option? Simply baffling.

As far as the guild panel is concerned, the one as I remember it was fine. The real problem is more the lack of importance/significance guilds have in GW2 as opposed to GW.

I also echo the comment about implementing a NPE into UI – not something I would be fond of at all, had I still played. While GW2 does have myriads of issues, the UI and UX are what I’d consider low priority.

Fluff should come in second to make something great even better, rather than making something mediocre more tolerable.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

Can this post PLEASE get a red post, just so we know that the devs have at least seen it?..

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

What I like about these suggestions is it shows off a sorely underused asset that this game has which is it’s artwork. The beauty of this game is a selling point, especially in it’s use of vibrant colors is underused.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: amax.8034

amax.8034

Thank you guys to all who commented, I’m really overwhelmed by the amount of interaction my design created and I never would have imagined it would generate so much interest since it was done in such a short time-frame and usually you spend months for such a project. I’m aware some areas might not be to everyone’s licking and there is room for further improvement. If this was for production, there would be extra iterations and multiple new redesigns, multiple user interviews, lots and lots of user testing and feedback gathering. I hope that might design will help the guys over ANET by pointing out what the community is looking for, since a lot of feedback has been generated on both Reddit and here. I tried to answer most of the comments and although some points keep repeating them I can’t post the answer multiple times, since that would be spamming.

@MithranArkanere.8957 there are always multiple ways to implement new features, we don’t have too much info at the moment regarding what ANET is working on but I see quite a lot of ways to add new stuff if they wanted to, sure some might require tweaking but overall I still think there are ways to integrate new features. Although I value the importance of the wiki, I don’t think either new or returning users or even the press would consider that an important element to be featured on the front-page. It could be added as a website navigation element or even in the footer. The reason behind this is that new users are more interested in what the game has too offer, while existing or returning users are more interested in what has changed. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be on the website, I’m saying it must be integrated carefully. The lore journal would use the API to pull data from the official wiki, I don’t know how much stress that would create for the game client, but that’s a possible integration of the wiki that I thought of when I was designing that.

@Shaaba.5672 there was another layout that I proposed, which is present in the document that showcases smaller grids elements. Where you see written Citadel of flame now, that’s a dropdown that allows you to quick select other dungeons, by mousing over any of those elements you would then be able too see exactly what LFG posts are written there. Please read the Hero Panel descriptions and you will see that there are 2 ways of interacting with it, since I’ve created slots for mini pets, finishers, outfits,etc that require a single click to bring up the existing preview panel where you can select your choice.

@UnitedChaos.8364 @MithranArkanere.8957 Thank you and It seams I wasn’t clear enough with that buy dungeon runs check-box wording, it should have stated “show dungeon runs”. The reason behind that check-box is that new players who just join the game might get the feeling that it’s a common thing and that they need to pay gold for dungeons, by having that option to filter out dungeon selling, people who are interested in doing that can still do while other won’t feel pressured to do so if they don’t want to.

amax.8034

@Chrispy.5641 It’s not about level locking, it’s about creating a user experience for new players that might be new to MMO’s or RPG’s since not everyone is experienced with them. By doing that you slowly introduce the player to multiple mechanics. Although your 3 click lore journal issue is valid, you assume that users will jump from reading a characters lore, to reading the lore behind a certain place, or maybe the lore behind a weapon. That’s a valid point of view, however I’m more inclined to believe that users will most likely jump from a characters lore to anothers characters lore and another characters lore and probably after that move to other sections of the lore journal. However your point of view is valid and a fix would be to use tabs at the bottom or at the top, that would let users jump between categories faster. Although your proposed redesign features the same type of layout as found in the achievement panels, it still involves users to read the navigation, making it less intuitive. Using a vertical layout, for navigation, when you have let’s say 30 entries would involve users to find content a lot harder, rather then if it would feature images. The main page provides a lot of random information that’s although valid, it distracts user from actual content. Although I respect your approach, we have different approaches, which isn’t a bad thing it shows that we think differently and without further testing and actual data gathering we can’t know which one would perform better, we can only assume.

@Age.9320 Ty for taking the time to write such a lenghty feedback and don’t get intimitade by my experience since every feedback is important, hopefully it will help ANET understand what the community classify as the most important things when it comes to UI redesign and what the majority thinks and thus how to approach the problems in the future. You did a great job of understanding my approach and yes the LFG- Advertise for party, would work quite similar to how it is know with just some extra filters present. Regarding the story journal, it acts as a slider since the devs usually add a living story season each year and using a vertical navigation would lead to lot of empty space/ placeholder images present until that said content is released. Using a auto scrolling horizontal layout ensures users have less interactions present and it also uses the existing tech, since we already have sliders in the game (gem store images). Thank you once again for taking the time to write such a lengthy feedback.

Thank you all again for your passion towards this game and providing feedback, I really appreciate it, however due to how reddit & the forum work, It’s really hard for users to go through all the amount of comments that I provided and that discusses most of the concerns so please don’t feel offended that I didn’t answer your concerns, in most cases it’s been answered either on Reddit or in a previous forum post.

Cheers and ty again for over 22.000 views of my designs and making it reach the second page of Reddit the other day.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I mean it looks pretty but other than the LFG panel you just turned it into a tablet. It feels like Windows 8 or iPhone….so thumbs down from me.

BUT the LFG is better the way you did it imo. Really nice LFG tool. Everything else is… no. Just no.

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Waw…..the amount of detail u put in this actually kinda blew my mind. I honestly hope someone from ANet gives this thread some attention/comments. Compared to all other threads, this is probably one of the best ones made.

Not to mention it’s made by someone from the community.

I looked over them i like most of it. How about a forum redesign?

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Kudos for OP and his ideas.

I like the most, his ideas for
Website

• OP’s idea is very creative and proves that rich and thoughtful images do magic.

- I frankly can say, I was a bit sucked into his proposition for website. I already wanted to stay on the website and learn more about the product which eventually would lead me to purchase it.

Story Journal

• Rich and spacious way of showing the importance of Living Story and My Story.

- I feel that OP’s redesign of Story Journal shows the importance of that tab by showing extremely suited images in Gw2 style which add additional thrill to it.

Contacts and LFG

• Fancy way of showing the importance and features of the game.

- It’s a very refreshing redesign which stands back from pure and dull text.

Guild Panel

• Great way and refreshing for Guild Panel which at this moment is dull, boring and plain.

- I like the idea very much. My opinion is, that I would rather skip showing AP in boxes for every user, but rather let it view the ID of player – I think people remember each other after IDs instead of every single char name. Also, not sure if it’s shown, but hovering mouse should view a window with details about that Guild mate.

Hero Panel

• Rich where everything is right on hand.

- As someone have mentioned, it’s rich, but tightly packed. What I miss in current Hero Panel is having stuff I want under my hand instead of clicking between tabs all the time. OP’s concept fulfills my desire for having all stuff I want, right in my hand.

Summary

- Great Redesign concept. I’m looking forward to OP’s changes and few adjustment to other people ideas.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

It does look nice. But i think thats mostly just because its different. There are some things that really make more sense in their current implementation. The good things are the extra features you have added. But those arent UI changes.

For instance I like the new Hero Panel having all those features on it. But the problem is it has become very cluttered. Also the repositioning of the trinkets and weapon sets is worse than the original in my opinion. Its like they were changed just for the sake of appealing to change.

Also having an overly complex LFG is never good. I really dont fancy the idea of shifting through those dungeon tabs just to see what dungeons have a decent group going. The current LFG has its problems but the simple UI isnt one of them.

Overall i think you have focused a bit too much on making it visually appealing and not enough on ease of usability.

(edited by Spoj The Second.7680)

Posted by: Painless.6149

Painless.6149

Come on guys … give us a red post.

Posted by: Nemesis Ghost.5782

Nemesis Ghost.5782

http://builtbyg.com/gw2-ux-ui-website-redesign.jpg

I would urge the creators of this great game to look at this suggestion made by one of my friend about the problems faced by new players and their fixes, keeping in mind the artristic look and feel of GW2

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

Wow these are some great ideas. I think the current system is nice, but it feels a bit outdated (especially the guild panel imo; it feels to me like a glorified chat room with very little personal touch). Maybe it’s time to update soon.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Posted by: MythicalGirl.2531

MythicalGirl.2531

I just have to say i’m proud to be Romanian Good job

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Thanks for commenting, regarding your clutter issues and the fact that new players would be instantly be “thrown” into a lot of information is a valid statement. However please note that as stated in the document, some features would be hidden as in not visible till they reach a certain level.

For example the order would appear at level 35 I think, where you have to join an order, the crafting would be displayed at a certain level and so on. This way users would start with a UI that’s really basic at the early levels and tabs/slots would be revealed as they level up, similar to the current feature unlocks. Thus the design showcases it at level 80 when everything is unlocked.

For players who think it’s too cluttered or want a more simplistic view, some of the information could be displayed under a tab thus giving users a basic overview and a more detailed overview.

Regarding artwork use, you must understand that there are people who are more visual oriented, who have a visual memory and thus it’s easier for them to remember such things. For new players or existing players, having artwork displayed would help them identify/remember/ put a face to certain characters or generate curiosity/interest for a certain dungeon that they haven’t done before. As the saying goes “a picture is worth a thousand words” some people would get an easier understanding that PVP & WvW is for large competitive combat, while an image with a dungeon would make it easier for them to understand it’s something that you do in PVE. Also by using images you are required to read a lot less since you get the general idea from that said image thus the mentioned popular saying.

Now this one I like.

Posted by: ChibiPoet.2961

ChibiPoet.2961

(Someone may have already said this, I got tired of reading everything.)

Something I would really like in the UI is a place to keep my own journal. I could keep little tidbits, useful and otherwise, in an easy to reach place instead of having word and excel files open all the time while I play.

Posted by: The Hero Warrior Il.7681

The Hero Warrior Il.7681

This look awsome, Great Job man

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

My only gripe about this is the level unlocking the accessory slots.

Even after NPE changes, you never had accessory slots locked by levels (yet most accessories and stuff aren’t even available for lv 1 equipment (besides Hero’s Band and Polla and the old back “statless” item place holder for quaggan backpacks, etc.), even though by leveling up, you get a notice and hint about how they are used, you have access to all your slots even at lv 1.

So you best fix that as its false info.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

It is different but not necessarily better. Alot of the design decisions go against GW2’s artistic style, rather putting too much on the screen from pictures to buttons.

While I do think you have done an amazing job with the presenation, I doubt we will ever see Anet taking this seriously. Most of the people commenting about hiring you have for instance no idea how companies work and are just hyped because this is not from Anet. They would have been far more skeptical and negative if the presenation was officially made by an Anet designer.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Incredible work; 10x better than what we have now and visually very appealing!

Well done!

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

It’s really creative and all but I appreciate the simplicity of the current GW2 website. The OP’s design is great for convention and media presentation, but not something I’d like to see everyday visiting the website.

The same thing for the Story Journal. It looks nice but not functionally appealing. I can just image scrolling through a bunch of images just to find the chapter I’m looking for. It would annoy me to no end.

As for Lore Journal, however, the pictures and the layout are great. This is where all images belongs.

Other than these, good job on your effort to show case your creativity.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Dislike everything suggested for in-game, actually.

1. Hero Screen:
For starters, too much information on one page. Crafting information is better kept to the crafting tab (because it’s really irrelevant unless you’re planning to craft anyways), guild in the guild screen, not sure why the order you pick is relevant enough to daily interaction to require a persistent reminder. I’m not sure how many people need to be reminded every time they open their hero panel what order they joined.

Secondly, I’m not sure why you put the aquabreather away from the aquatic weapons. Seems counter-intuitive to separate them, since they all serve the same portion of the game. It’d be like taking the lumber axe and moving it to the opposite side of the page than the sickle and pick.

Moving the accessories around and the currently carried equipment box to the other side seems largely pointless as well and doesn’t really accomplish much.

The only concept I like is the vanity thing, although without shots of what the UI would look like for picking those things, can’t say I like the “implementation”. I would much prefer them just having their own tabs on the far side and not being lumped under “Hero” than added to the equipment screen, though.

TBH, the easiest fix that could be done is, instead of having a menu under “Hero” tab, just make separate tabs. Tab for miniatures/finishers/mail carriers, tab for wardrobe, and tab for equipment.

2. Guild Panel

More unnecessary redesign. I do like the concept of a guild-specific “LFG” style tool, but think it should be in its own tab. I also don’t see the necessity of character portraits with achievement points visible. Seems like it’d take up an unnecessary amount of space when name/level/class tells you everything you might need to know beforehand (assuming you don’t know the person).

As for the information about other guild you’re not representing, I personally don’t see a point in it, as if I were interested in what any other guilds I’m in are doing, I’d check that other guild. More information isn’t always better.

3. LFG

Just… no. Too cluttered, too much space taken up by the pictures, and more inconvenience than how it currently is, just clicking names and seeing the lists. Only concept liked is the “number of groups” on the pictures for the dungeons to save time clicking into them, but that could easily be added to the current system without all the clutter and back buttoning (which for some reason you tried to solve with your hero UI, but added here…).

4. Journal

Again, too much space taken up by pictures, more inconvenience having to click on chapter portrait, then episode, etc. Again, adding more back buttoning.

5. Lore Journal

Mostly due to lack of necessity and amount of time that would be required fitting everything in and making things work right. /wiki Faren works just as well and faster than hunting for Faren in an in-game journal. You also show nothing of a search feature, which suggests that one would have to hunt through all the portraits of everybody in order to find one specific character.

All in all, they’re largely either horizontal shifts with no deciding upsides or downsides, or clearly downgrades that are more inconvenient.

Posted by: Ryuky.8510

Ryuky.8510

Fabulous !!!!!!!
A so beautiful work !

Posted by: Draconius.9076

Draconius.9076

I have but one word for this “Woooowww”
I love your work it looks absolutely stunning!
Just love what you did with the guild panel, you transformed a pretty useless lacking gizmo from the game into something wonderfull.
I’m a leader in my guild and I would more than welcome your guildpanel! Better than that even I crave for it they have to implement it or something similar.
If an outsider like you can create something that much better it shows they have some work to do. I would love to see them hiring a talented hard working worker like yourself so that maybe one day we can see your ideas come to life in the game itself.

I’m rooting for you.
Support +1

Guild: Order of an Allied Tyria [OAT] ~°~ Co-leader
Server: Underworld

amax.8034

@Filaha.1678 Thank you for your feedback, although most of this has already been answered I will try to provide an answer.

1. Hero Panel:
- crafting panel is present in order to reduce number of user interaction & clicks between different tabs while also encouraging new users to pick up crafting. Some people switch crafting professions quite a lot or have multiple crafting licenses and thus keeping track of all that information becomes a chore. Imagine if you have 10 characters (having multiple alts is as you know a common habit since each class plays differently) and you need to find out which of those characters has ascended weapon smiting, that leads to logging into each character clicking the hero panel, clicking the crafting tab, clicking the drop down, see if that’s the character you were looking for, log out and move to the next and repeat. An alternate solution that I can see now, after a users suggestion for orders to be displayed in the character selection, would be to display crafting information on the character selection screen.

2. Guild Panel:
- character portraits help with the immersion while also being potential conversation starters (socializing) since as you know this is a heavy cosmetic game, thus it would lead to “showoff” their character, making new players have a glimpse at what their characters could look at max level.

- Achievement points were displayed as a way to help players identify which players to seek help while also pointing out their importance while also creating status. Imagine you are in a guild where are a bunch of new players, you’re in a zone and you have a lot of guildies there with you, now how would you know which one to ask? you might ask some random guildie, you wait, no answer, because that new player doesn’t know how to reply to whispers… you then contact another one and you find out he’s a new player like you, at this point the new player might give up contacting others or might continue. He could post in guild chat but that assumes he knows how to post there, typing /g before the message or selecting guild chat, however in some scenarios like if it’s a small guild there might not be enough players paying attention to the guild chat or might be engaged in other activities.

- there are quite a lot of people that join different guilds and play in different guilds (role-playing, speed killing, dungeon selling, wvw, pvp, etc). For example when Tequatl was redesigned there were a lot of guilds specialized in killing him, thus those guilds would have certain times that they would group up and try to kill him, members being in different guild-zone created confusion when to show up, while some forgetting about that.

3. LFG:
- this has been answered multiple times, the short answer is it’s more easy to click, generates interests for new players and makes it more easily to remember for people who have visual memory. Regarding back buttoning, this also has been answered, short answer is there’s another layout that I’ve proposed which involve using a smaller grid size that would activate while the user hovers on the "Citadel of Flame " button.

4. Journal:
- please see some of my earlier posts for the reson behind it and a potential second solution.

5. Lore Journal:
- sorry but time required to get something implemented isn’t a valid statement,
- regarding using /wiki sure that works now, however how many players actually now about that feature? how many of those actually use that? and how would new players find and get comfortable with while there are tons of other things they need to grasp. The answer to the first two is… not many, even I as a player although know that command, don’t use it, the reason is because it breaks immersion, it forces you to change to a bright white page filled with text and when you come back you realize you missed a world boss, a event, a whisper or you’re dead because a dynamic event just started and killed you. The reason why you didn’t see a search bar present is because for that certain page I didn’t think GW2 would have that many key NPC’s that it would need one. The implementation I thought of would involve right clicking an enemies icon where he’s health bar is, then selecting lore which would bring up that panel. Although I agree that a search function might be needed for some parts of the journal that are more complex.

I respect your feedback and taking the time to write such a lengthy post, however you must understand that just because you play the game a certain way, that doesn’t mean everyone plays like it and not everyone has such a vast knowledge when they just start playing.

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Holy crap, this is absolutely amazing. Anet get on this. This guy needs to snag a paycheck from you.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

HOLY MOTHER OF DWAYNA and everything that is wrong with the Zaithan fight !!!!!!!!

THIS IS EPIC.

ANET !!!!!!!!! needs to use this and give this guy 10k free gems lol

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2