I've started exploring Southsun Cove.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: scabies.3246

scabies.3246

However, I read in a post from another player almost 2 weeks ago that Karka pets have a super small chance of dropping from monsters in this place. Is this true? If it is, does it drop only from Karka or can I kill other monsters and still have a chance to see it drop?

I asked in Map chat and someone said, “I thought they only came from the cashshop chest.” Some clarification would be nice. Can I still get the pet in-game by killing a kabillion Karka or am I trapped into purchasing it from the Trading Post from people who got it from the Cashshop?

The monsters here are really easy to kill as an elementalist. With a staff I can use Magnetic Aura which reflects projectiles, at the very start of agro, and it takes almost 50% of the Karka’s HP away. After that skill it is smooth sailing until it dies.

Also, just for fun, the Light Karka shoulder skin looks awesome. I’m really happy to have bought them. Here is a pic of that:

Have a good day!

Attachments:

Posted by: NuclearBuddha.8641

NuclearBuddha.8641

I got the hatchlings from a young karka drop. This was during the initial exploration of the isle during the event.

Edit: and I’m not selling. They’re too cute.

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

I’m rather confused to be honest. I’ve been playing pretty much everyday more or less since launch, and playing my main – a Charr Warrior – daily in addition to fiddling with several alts, and have yet to see the first pet drop. Not a single one. I’ve heard of none of my friends and guildies seeing a single pet drop either.

You’re post insinuates that they do drop, however rarely, from everyday mobs through out the game though. I’m sorry if I might be slightly derailing your thread a bit with this question but, what am I missing out on? I honestly hadn’t given them much thought given I’ve so far not heard a word about them until this post. I haven’t even seen a player in game with one running along by their feet or anything like I have in every other MMO where they’re available.

PLEASE someone tell me what I’m missing out on so far as how one procures one of these!

In case its important I suppose I should mention that I bought the standard version, not the Collector’s Edition or anything. I purchased a physical copy through Amazon.com (I know with many games these days, where you purchased your copy can determine what “special” in game bonuses you recieve). I purchased in time to play the final Beta Weekend but didn’t because of some real life obligation I don’t even recall now, but my account and game was activated for launch day. Lastly, I haven’t yet spent any money beyond my initial $60 for my copy. Haven’t seen a need for any gems or anything in game yet until I need to add bank space (couple mule alts have sufficed so far). Or if things change concerning the contents of those BL chests I’ve got about 100+ of now. I refuse to shell out enough cash to open them all to be at the whim of an RNG (for rewards that aren’t that great to begin with) with real life money on the line. If I’ve gotta lay out real money to crack them open to get a pet I can live without one considering the “mechanics” of how the RNG applies to the BL chest contents presently functions.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I’ve yet to see any pet drops but I have purchased a few from the Trading Post. Not the gems store, the regular trading post where other players are selling them. Plus I’ve recieved a couple as prizes – Pink Day in LA <3

Mini-pets are not soulbound, you can trade them after you use them. They keep like an item in your bags.

I think the reason you don’t see so many is that you have to keep summoning them everytime you change zones or waypoint. That’s the reason I don’t have mine out usually anyway.

scabies.3246

I’m rather confused to be honest. I’ve been playing pretty much everyday more or less since launch, and playing my main – a Charr Warrior – daily in addition to fiddling with several alts, and have yet to see the first pet drop. Not a single one. I’ve heard of none of my friends and guildies seeing a single pet drop either.

You’re post insinuates that they do drop, however rarely, from everyday mobs through out the game though. I’m sorry if I might be slightly derailing your thread a bit with this question but, what am I missing out on? I honestly hadn’t given them much thought given I’ve so far not heard a word about them until this post. I haven’t even seen a player in game with one running along by their feet or anything like I have in every other MMO where they’re available.

PLEASE someone tell me what I’m missing out on so far as how one procures one of these!

In case its important I suppose I should mention that I bought the standard version, not the Collector’s Edition or anything. I purchased a physical copy through Amazon.com (I know with many games these days, where you purchased your copy can determine what “special” in game bonuses you recieve). I purchased in time to play the final Beta Weekend but didn’t because of some real life obligation I don’t even recall now, but my account and game was activated for launch day. Lastly, I haven’t yet spent any money beyond my initial $60 for my copy. Haven’t seen a need for any gems or anything in game yet until I need to add bank space (couple mule alts have sufficed so far). Or if things change concerning the contents of those BL chests I’ve got about 100+ of now. I refuse to shell out enough cash to open them all to be at the whim of an RNG (for rewards that aren’t that great to begin with) with real life money on the line. If I’ve gotta lay out real money to crack them open to get a pet I can live without one considering the “mechanics” of how the RNG applies to the BL chest contents presently functions.

Here is a post I found on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/145svb/southsun_cove_the_botters_paradise/

From what I’ve read, if you kill “Young Karka” monsters in “Southsun Cove”, a level 80 location, you can get a small chance of getting the pet as a drop.

I don’t believe you can get pets from any other monster, if that is what you are asking. I think that Young Karka are the only monsters with that chance.

(edited by scabies.3246)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t believe you can get pets from any other monster, if that is what you are asking. I think that Young Karka are the only monsters with that chance.

This is correct.

ONLY monsters in Southsun Cove drop minis. I’ve heard it’s specfically only Young Karka, but I’m not 100% sure of that. And they only drop the 3 Lost Shores minis – the mini Karka, mini Karka Hatchlings and mini Reef Drake.

Most the other minis come either from the gem store packs, or combining them in the mystic forge (or buying them on the TP). Everyone gets them the same way and everyone has the same chance, regardless of which version of the game they bought, where they bought it from or how long they’ve been playing.

The exceptions are:
*The mini Rytlock which came with the Digital Deluxe and Collectors Edition,
*The mini Orange Tabby Cat, mini Rockfur Raccoon, mini Orrian Baby Chicken and mini Red Servitor Golem which come from the HoM
*The mini Ghost, mini Spider, mini Skeleton and mini Chainsaw the Skeleton which you could only get at Halloween.

Those are all account bound so you can’t buy them on the TP (somewhat weirdly the HoM ones show up as soul bound when they’re in your inventory, then it dissapears if you put them in the Bank and you can withdraw them on another character).

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

scabies.3246

And they only drop the 3 Lost Shores minis – the mini Karka, mini Karka Hatchlings and mini Reef Drake.

I have a chance of getting three different mini pets? I had no idea there was more than one… Thanks for posting this, I really had no idea.

I happened to make a video of me solo killing Karka on my Elementalist. It is pretty easy. The place could use some new events though. I was killing them with a friend (also elementalist) last night, and we were taking on groups of 4-5 at the same time at Owain’s Refuge Waypoint, farming the event that keeps restarting after a 5 minute cooldown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Q015nCF-c

Posted by: Ugly Playboy Model.1239

Ugly Playboy Model.1239

thanks! and i saw that vid you posted scabies pretty awesome too bad im a ranger :*(

scabies.3246

thanks! and i saw that vid you posted scabies pretty awesome too bad im a ranger :*(

I saw a Ranger last night dominating on some Karka last night with what looked like a Greatsword (or maybe it was a normal sword?). He was letting his pets take the first initial hit from the Karka ranged burst attack. Don’t give up! It blasts at whomever is closest between it and target, so attack it and put your pet between it and you. That’s how I do it without the reflect skill from Elementalists (I use the earth pets that can tank stuffs as my meatshield).