I want Kodan instead of Tengu

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

They look so worm and fuzzy, I just love bears.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Loki.8793

Loki.8793

Then play a Norn. Norn are just evolved Kodan anyways.

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I just want to point out, they are freaking jerks. I swear they’re more arrogant than the asura, with nothing to back that attitude up. And then in frostgorge sound, one of the task hearts is to grab fish for hungry kodan, a few of them were right next to the barrels. I would rather have playable dredge.

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

Kodan are just perma-bear form norn. Either way they would only make real sense to introduce as a class when we are taking the fight to Jormag in the Far Shiverpeaks.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I want Kodan and Tengu…

:)

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

Tengu > Kodan. Definitely. And I want Mursaat to be a playable race. ;P

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

I don’t think they’d ever be introduced as a class mainly because they serve as basic guards in EotM along with races like trolls, ogres, and grawl. This could be used to a bit of an advantage with players blending in with the guards or even appearing like the kodan forge hammer form; either way, a kodan race could be used to add confusion to EotM. This sort of racial combat advantage is seen to a lesser degree in the form of tiny asura for smaller targets and huge characters using size to block enemy cameras, so try and imagine how making the kodan a playable race could shift the balance of battle in EotM when they blend in so well with their identical brethren among FR guards.

I’m not a huge fan of EotM, but I feel like if Kodan are ever going to become a playable race, so should ogres, grawl, and trolls in order to maintain racial balance. I think the few kodan transformations throughout the game are all we’re going to get no matter how much wishful thinking is presented on the forums.

On a note of strictly personal opinion totally separate from the speculation above, I think the kodan are pretty boring and are little more than discount norn in bear form. Tengu/Largos > Kodan in my personal opinion.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Kodan have a huge disadvantage in customization. All of them look like polar bears and all polar bears look pretty much the same. As a side note…

They look so wOrm and fuzzy

Sounds like a Lovecraftian horror.

(edited by dekou.6012)

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Please no more animal races

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Bears are boring.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

If I consider the problems with Charr armor clipping I seriously doubt that any of these two races will ever be introduced.

Posted by: Cirran.1429

Cirran.1429

Personally, I don’t want either race added, I would rather have new classes added instead. If ANet just had to add a playable race, I would like to see the Dwarves. LOL, but with what has happen to them, it would take a major world changing event say like the Ancient Dragons waking up….

Ciran

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Personally, I don’t want either race added, I would rather have new classes added instead. If ANet just had to add a playable race, I would like to see the Dwarves. LOL, but with what has happen to them, it would take a major world changing event say like the Ancient Dragons waking up….

Ciran

I’m in the boat of posters that think a new profession is off the table. It’s possible but I feel it’s more unlikely.

I sort of wish the devs would instead expand the current professions with a type of prestige typing that would give a profession a different flavor of playstyle but for the most part use the same base as the current profession with perhaps differing sets of traits to alter their skills/playstyle.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Bears are boring.

But we could play bearbows then without using a bear as pet

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Agreed. We need more of this.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Kodan have a huge disadvantage in customization. All of them look like polar bears and all polar bears look pretty much the same. As a side note…

They look so wOrm and fuzzy

Sounds like a Lovecraftian horror.

If there’s one thing this game needs, it’s more tentacles.

Posted by: Allelya.6830

Allelya.6830

This. We have enough animal races, thanks.

Delvien – d/d Elementalist – Gates of Madness

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

I would make a Kodan ranger, tame only bear pets, make some stupid joke name like “Bearly Legal”, and make bear puns all day.

Oh, I just used Point Blank Shot when you started to use Hundred Blades? Isn’t that just unbearable?

I have to go AFK in this dungeon run. Just bear with me for a moment.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

This. We have enough animal races, thanks.

2 human races, 1 fully animalistic race, one sort of animistic one, and one plant race. I’m not seeing how that’s excessive to the point where they couldn’t add more.

And really, what else would they add instead? Even bigger humans? Midget humans? Elves? None of those even exist in GW lore, so you’d rather just have them make up a human race just to not have another “animal race”?

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

Kodan are just perma-bear form norn. Either way they would only make real sense to introduce as a class when we are taking the fight to Jormag in the Far Shiverpeaks.

Kodan are a RACE

Moldur.6275

I don’t think they’d ever be introduced as a class mainly because they serve as basic guards in EotM along with races like trolls, ogres, and grawl. This could be used to a bit of an advantage with players blending in with the guards or even appearing like the kodan forge hammer form; either way, a kodan race could be used to add confusion to EotM. This sort of racial combat advantage is seen to a lesser degree in the form of tiny asura for smaller targets and huge characters using size to block enemy cameras, so try and imagine how making the kodan a playable race could shift the balance of battle in EotM when they blend in so well with their identical brethren among FR guards.

I’m not a huge fan of EotM, but I feel like if Kodan are ever going to become a playable race, so should ogres, grawl, and trolls in order to maintain racial balance. I think the few kodan transformations throughout the game are all we’re going to get no matter how much wishful thinking is presented on the forums.

On a note of strictly personal opinion totally separate from the speculation above, I think the kodan are pretty boring and are little more than discount norn in bear form. Tengu/Largos > Kodan in my personal opinion.

Do you have a hard time separating players from ALL the NPCs in the borderlands aswell?

Moldur.6275

Humans are animals.

(edited by Moldur.6275)

Moldur.6275

Bears are boring.

Bear^2 bow

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Bears are brown and boring.

Birds are colourful, have beaks and can fly. Case closed.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Filaha.1678

Humans are animals.

Too bad there’s a completely legit definition of animal that precludes humans that they could have been using.

Although for all you know, maybe they want more plant races like the Sylvari. They didn’t say anything about humans.

Or maybe they want mineral races, like golems.

Or maybe they don’t want any new races period, since they didn’t say anything about adding any races at all.

Above all, whether humans are or are not considered animals is irrelevant, as the person clearly wasn’t suggesting they add humans instead, as that’d be a dumb suggestion since they already exist. They said “no more”, not “take them all out”.

Read what you’re responding to next time before trying to make some witty comeback.

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

Then play a Norn. Norn are just evolved Kodan anyways.

Or De-evolved, if you were to ask a Kodan.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Bears are boring.

A bear bearbowing with a bear. I don’t think I have the strength of will to pass this up.

ANet! Stop me before I bear bearbow with bear!

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

Do you have a hard time separating players from ALL the NPCs in the borderlands aswell?

Did I ever state that I personally would have a problem distinguishing? No. If you’re going to try insulting someone, it’s best not to put words into their mouth and take time to both read and comprehend the targeted post. In addition, I never stated anything about all the NPCs in EotM, just the main guard races which include kodan. Nice troll attempt though. 7/10.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

I’ll take a hidden society of dwarves that somehow managed to reverse the ritual that turned them to stone. Of course, one of Mordremoth’s love tentacles pierced their hidden home, and now they’ve returned to the surface.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I want Kodan and Tengu…

and Centaurs please!

( I will gladly forgo the bottom half of armor)

JQ Druid

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Kodan would probably be the easiest to model armors for. Tengu and Centaurs, not so much.

Filaha.1678

Kodan would probably be the easiest to model armors for. Tengu and Centaurs, not so much.

Tengu would presumably just use the same general shape as Charr and the same lack of craps given about feather clipping as tail clipping.

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

I want Kodan and Tengu…

and Centaurs please!

( I will gladly forgo the bottom half of armor)

Oh imagine doing jumping puzzles with centaur

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

Humans are animals.

Too bad there’s a completely legit definition of animal that precludes humans that they could have been using.

Although for all you know, maybe they want more plant races like the Sylvari. They didn’t say anything about humans.

Or maybe they don’t want any new races period, since they didn’t say anything about adding any races at all.

Above all, whether humans are or are not considered animals is irrelevant, as the person clearly wasn’t suggesting they add humans instead, as that’d be a dumb suggestion since they already exist. They said “no more”, not “take them all out”.

Read what you’re responding to next time before trying to make some witty comeback.

It was obviously a joke. You’re a lot of fun at parties, aren’t you?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tengu would presumably just use the same general shape as Charr and the same lack of craps given about feather clipping as tail clipping.

Probably worse, if said craps of tail clipping allowed charr to be left in but tengu got cut from the potential roster.

By the way, I think Kodan would make a terrible PC race. Why? A few reasons:

- They’re all anthropomorphic bipedal polar bears. All of them. There is no variation on fur patterns or color we can see. In essence “they all look the same” is about accurate.

- The history and culture of the Kodan does not mesh well with the idea of the PC as “someone out doing adventures”. At least, thus far. It would take a significant change to make it believable after they pretty much don’t interfere with other things going on and seem prone to leaving rather than fighting a war.

- They scale to a larger size than norn do. Enter clipping issues, again, this time head to the top of close tunnels. It is likely they would not be able to, thanks to this, do some jumping puzzles like Troll’s End. (I still won’t try doing it on my norn.)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Filaha.1678

Humans are animals.

No, it was obviously snark. It is interpretively a joke. You read it as a joke. I read it as snark. Nobody can tell us what it was meant as, not even the person who posted it, because they’ll clearly pick whichever definition doesn’t make them look bad.

At parties, I can see the person’s expression and hear their voice so tone is an actual thing. They’re not texting me there.

So yes, I am a lot of fun at parties. Good guess. You win an award.

Moldur.6275

Humans are animals.

No, it was obviously snark. It is interpretively a joke. You read it as a joke. I read it as snark. Nobody can tell us what it was meant as, not even the person who posted it, because they’ll clearly pick whichever definition doesn’t make them look bad.

At parties, I can see the person’s expression and hear their voice so tone is an actual thing. They’re not texting me there.

person who posted it shows up, go ahead, pick whatever reason you like that makes me look bad, my thesis stays the same. Humans are animals, or maybe you’re one of those questioning evolution?
Human —> Norn —> Kodan —> Bear would apply to this game universe

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I want Tengu instead of Kodan.

Each to their own.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

May blessing be upon the OP.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Kaamau.5341

Kaamau.5341

Humans are animals.

person who posted it shows up, go ahead, pick whatever reason you like that makes me look bad, my thesis stays the same. Humans are animals, or maybe you’re one of those questioning evolution?
Human —> Norn --> Kodan —> Bear would apply to this game universe

Well, evolution is out the window in this game universe, the moment humans came through the mists.

I’m pretty sure human and Norns through some strange magic (that is a joke) they aren’t even related. In-fact humans in this universe might not even be considered animals, as they could use considerably different internal mechanisms to the rest of the animals on the planet.

But this is just a theory with no evidence to either side. But it is know that humans did come from the mists and likely not originally any of the ecosystems that exist today.

hmm… but this thought did give me some ideas to expand one of my lore theories.

Fort Aspenwood
PRAISE GEESUS

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Agreed. We need more of this.

HAHAHAHA

omg this made me lol so hard!!

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

+1 for Kodan. I don’t really want to play a bird.

Attachments:

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

+1 for Kodan. I don’t really want to play a bird.

Have to admit, that’s pretty nice. Definitely need more “fluffy” types in this game.

Whether Tengu or Kodan, I win =P

Posted by: Cream.5361

Cream.5361

My two copper:

You’ll get neither and you’ll like it!

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

As already mentioned, I don’t think Kodan will be introduced due to lack of customisation and height/clipping issues.

There’d be a terrible lack of variety: polar bears are white. The most variation you’d get would be various shades of white, off-white, pale grey or even very pale blue. No fur patterns. I reckon there’d be a terrible lack of facial diversity as well because there’s only so much you can do with a polar-bear’s face before it doesn’t look like a polar bear anymore. (meanwhile, charr have many fur colour/pattern combinations and lots of different facial designs as they are somewhat based off of felines in general).

Also, the larger the model, the more stretched and lower quality any textures are, so armour and weapons will look pretty bad (I regret making some of my charr/norns so big for this reason).

I had this discussion with somebody in map chat a while ago whilst I was pro-kodan… they also mentioned how similar Norn/Kodan lore and starter areas might be. It was mainly the cosmetic aspect that swayed me though, considering this game is mainly cosmetic driven when it comes to gear.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yes. Aside from the limited customisation options, I think the biggest thing holding the Kodan back as a playable race is that, thematically, they are too similar to Norn. Both races are big, physically powerful arctic dwelling beings. Each of the races fills a fantasy trope (with a few unique twists that makes them unique to Tyria), and the Norn and Kodan would fill the same space.

I wouldn’t mind playable Kodan in the slightest (would make a Kodan Guardian!), but I think the odds are against them.

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

Kodan would be too similar to Norn if Norn could shape-shift into animals indefinitely until switched back. That’s what I was hoping for but nope, they’re pretty much useless elites.

Back on topic, I think I’d take Tangu over Kodan. q:

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

This could be fairly conveniently solved by replacing the kodan guards with guards of some other race.

A bear bearbowing with a bear. I don’t think I have the strength of will to pass this up.

ANet! Stop me before I bear bearbow with bear!

We heard you like bears, so we added bear to your bearbow so you could bearbow as a bear!

- The history and culture of the Kodan does not mesh well with the idea of the PC as “someone out doing adventures”. At least, thus far. It would take a significant change to make it believable after they pretty much don’t interfere with other things going on and seem prone to leaving rather than fighting a war.

I’d say it fits better than charr, actually. The kodan, from memory, do have mentions in their lore about individual kodan visiting other lands in order to judge the locals. The charr, on the other hand, have a militaristic culture based on everyone being part of a military unit (the warband) and knowing their place in the military hierarchy – which meant that ArenaNet then had to find workarounds that allowed charr to be doing other things.

Most of the other things that have been said against kodan probably apply – too similarish to norn aesthetically and conceptually, not a lot of room for customisation, the possibility that certain professions just aren’t kodany (there are a couple of trainers at the kodan outpost in southern Snowden that are non-kodan, and there’s probably a reason for that), and just being Too Dang Large. That said, these could probably all be overcome if ArenaNet decides people want it enough, so while I have little interest in the kodan myself, it seems reasonable to let the people who do make their plugs.

Mind you, there is a fair amount of evidence that the tengu have already had a lot of the development they’d need to be a playable race, while the kodan… haven’t, or at least not as far as we’ve seen.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’d say it fits better than charr, actually. The kodan, from memory, do have mentions in their lore about individual kodan visiting other lands in order to judge the locals. The charr, on the other hand, have a militaristic culture based on everyone being part of a military unit (the warband) and knowing their place in the military hierarchy – which meant that ArenaNet then had to find workarounds that allowed charr to be doing other things.

Bah, nobody allows a charr to do what they want. The charr just does it and sneers and dares you to try to stop them.

Most of the other things that have been said against kodan probably apply – too similarish to norn aesthetically and conceptually, not a lot of room for customisation, the possibility that certain professions just aren’t kodany (there are a couple of trainers at the kodan outpost in southern Snowden that are non-kodan, and there’s probably a reason for that), and just being Too Dang Large. That said, these could probably all be overcome if ArenaNet decides people want it enough, so while I have little interest in the kodan myself, it seems reasonable to let the people who do make their plugs.

I don’t mind people making the plugs or making up a fantasy about how it’s going to happen. I had the same reaction to people making up charr potential characters back in GW1 after EOTN put Pyre on our side of things and “made it likely” to have allied charr.

I just like pointing out problems with the idea of kodan as a race expansion. So far, the biggest stumbling blocks are in the physical design rather than the lore . . . which is possible to bend a bit for the kodan to get involved. I can put three two-paragraph writeups about how it is plausible without breaking prior lore as to how to get it to work, but I can’t . . . in a lot of ways, figure out how to get around the other two issues I listed about the models

Mind you, there is a fair amount of evidence that the tengu have already had a lot of the development they’d need to be a playable race, while the kodan… haven’t, or at least not as far as we’ve seen.

Tengu was always a closer bid than kodan, because they had a fair amount of variation even back in ye olde Crest Farming days. There were more than a few different types of tengu in the old Tyria which proved there was a broad spectrum of potential customization options, the armor could be adjusted to be light/medium/heavy with minor tweaks and the only real issue I can see for tengu would be armor clipping . . .

. . . and given the track record with charr and armor issues, I say it’s a good thing tengu weren’t offered sooner. That armor would clip a lot worse than charr armor, and if they haven’t figured out how to solve it (and by extension the charr armor issue) then I don’t think we’ll see tengu at all either.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Kodan would be cool

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map