I want an expansion

I want an expansion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wynne.3908

Wynne.3908

I thought Guild Wars 2 would be getting content updates like Guild Wars 1. Now that isn’t/hasn’t happened and I feel like I’ve been tricked. Seriously… where’s the expansion?

Guild Wars 1 After 12 months:
- 240 new skills
-90 new Elite skills
-2 new proffesions
-1 new World map
-4 new guild halls
-13 new co-op missions
-5 new challenge missions
-2 new elite missions
-2 competitive missions
-200+ new quests
-New PvP Alliance battles
-New elite area Sorrow’s Furnace
-New elite area The Underworld
-New elite area Fissure of Woe
-New elite area the Deep
-New elite area Urgoz’s Warren

Guild Wars 1 After 18 Months: All of the above+
-350 new skills
-110 new elite skills
-2 new proffesions
-1 new World Map
-4 new Guild Halls
-20 new missions
-3 new challenge missions
-1 new elite mission
-250+ quests
-Heros!
-PvP hero Battles
-new elite Area Domain Of Anguish

GW2 after 18 months:
-Scarlet
-Southsun cove
-Fractals
-2 new heal skills
-1 new dungeon path

I probably missed stuff but you get the idea.

I want an expansion

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Kind of a misleading title, but yea, I get what you’re saying.

I want an expansion

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

GW2 isn’t a vertical MMO. It’s Horizontal. With no subscription, we’re lucky to get any new content at all.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

I want an expansion

Posted by: MrPersons.1560

MrPersons.1560

GW2 isn’t a vertical MMO. It’s Horizontal. With no subscription, we’re lucky to get any new content at all.

GW1 was also not subscription based, and it got all that content (as far as I can tell, I never played it). would have been nice to have all of that by now though.

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Sythern the Warlock: Human Necromancer| Lithia the Shadow: Human Theif
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

I want an expansion

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Someone seems to forget to mention the fact that the vast majority of those things were added with a new box purchase, which was basically a new game (they were all stand-alone after all). Or the fact that quite many of those skills were simply duplicates of already existing skills, rather than actual new skills.

You have also missed the fact that we got new content every second week for most of that time as well. But I suppose that doesn’t count for some reason.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

I want an expansion

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

@Lankybrit: Are you suggesting that non-subscription MMOs shouldn’t get any update? Because that is gross. Even F2P ones get new content.

@OP: you forgot guild missions,2 new world bosses and a new WvW map.

@lordkrall: the reason is simple really, I didn’t play for 6 months for personal reasons, so what you had august doesn’t matter to me or to anyone that wasn’t there.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

I want an expansion

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

How were you tricked?
Did they promise XX new features in a set time frame? If so, please cite.
I’m not following your line of thought.

Did GW1 offer more with their ‘expansion’ model (actually stand alone games)?
Yes, certainly.
GW2 does not use the expansion model (yet), so it is Apples and Oranges

No slight of hand or flim-flam here.
No rabbit hidden in the hat
No trickery

I want an expansion

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Release
There was actually a bunch of stuff

I want an expansion

Posted by: SakuraWulf.3209

SakuraWulf.3209

…seriously? Do I don’t even feel like pointing out what’s wrong with this erroneous post…
Maybe play more F2P mmos?

I want an expansion

Lankybrit.4598

@Lankybrit: Are you suggesting that non-subscription MMOs shouldn’t get any update? Because that is gross. Even F2P ones get new content.

Not saying it shouldn’t, just that we’re lucky it does. Compare to an RPG. Buy for $60 and play until the end, maybe on a couple of different difficulty levels, and then wait for the sequel.

Updated every Monday

I want an expansion

Posted by: Stormleaf.1769

Stormleaf.1769

Perhaps you, like so many others on this forum, should stop making the mistake of playing a game you dislike simply because of what you want it to be. Play it for what it is, and if you don’t like what it is in the present, stop playing. ArenaNet has no obligation whatsoever to fulfill your personal desires for the game, and it’s ridiculous to say you were ‘tricked’ when GW2 is an entirely different game from GW1 in the first place.

I want an expansion

MrPersons.1560

Not saying it shouldn’t, just that we’re lucky it does. Compare to an RPG. Buy for $60 and play until the end, maybe on a couple of different difficulty levels, and then wait for the sequel.

well most 60$ AAA games get DLC of varying length also, but Anet may have spent that budget on Living world. Still hoping for a proper expansion, that is not stand alone like GW1.

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

I want an expansion

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

You get what you pay for.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

I want an expansion

lordkrall.7241

@lordkrall: the reason is simple really, I didn’t play for 6 months for personal reasons, so what you had august doesn’t matter to me or to anyone that wasn’t there.

Well that is a bit unfair though.
We still got the content, even if not everyone played it. It still took time, money and resources to make after all.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

I want an expansion

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Yes and they will consider themselves lucky if they ever see another penny of my money. Defend the LS all you like but in no way can it be compared to the content of a proper expansion, not even close. As I’ve already said it was my expectations when I continued to support them these last 18 months through buying gems and purchasing items from the gem store that the funds were going towards adding substantial content updates, this hasn’t happened and I’m not satisfied with just the LS and mostly temp content. So in a nutshell I won’t spend anymore cash until I know it’s going to be reinvested into additional permanent content, that’s my choice, period.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

I want an expansion

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Okay so you weren’t joking…

I’ll compare MMOs to MMOs and not to RPGs because that’s what they are. MMOs are generally made to be played for a lot more than any other genre, so naturally they require more updates.

Now in terms of “money’s worth” I’m sure you got a point, but I don’t think there’s any reason to consider ourselves “lucky” when any MMO (P2P, B2P, F2P)gets new content.

@Lordkrall: fair enough

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

I want an expansion

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

GW1 was also not subscription based, and it got all that content (as far as I can tell, I never played it). would have been nice to have all of that by now though.

No, but you bought new chapters – Factions then Nightfall and then the add on Eye of the North. You paid for each one and each one could stand alone, meaning you could buy one of them without the others (except EotM needed Prophecies). So, this is not the same.

A proper expansion means you will end up paying another 60-100 dollars for the content. The LS content was free. Which MMO gives you free content like that? – WoW were all paid/sub expansions. Name one other? There aren’t any.

(edited by Dusty Moon.4382)

I want an expansion

MrPersons.1560

No, but you bought new chapters – Factions then Nightfall and then the add on Eye of the North. You paid for each one and each one could stand alone, meaning you could buy one of them without the others (except EotM needed Prophecies). So, this is not the same.

I hope they don’t do that here. I want to be able to use my characters, gear and money that I already have, just add more stuff, areas, classes, races, dungeons whatever, but having to redo everything every time they make an expansion and have content only available in a certain expansion with its own launcher could get highly annoying. “oh that feature is in this expansion” closes game, launches other “oh wait no its in this one” closes that one opens the other one.
see what I mean

I want an expansion

Lankybrit.4598

Okay so you weren’t joking…

I’ll compare MMOs to MMOs and not to RPGs because that’s what they are. MMOs are generally made to be played for a lot more than any other genre, so naturally they require more updates.

Now in terms of “money’s worth” I’m sure you got a point, but I don’t think there’s any reason to consider ourselves “lucky” when any MMO (P2P, B2P, F2P)gets new content.

@Lordkrall: fair enough

I guess I think of WoW, and SWOTOR. WoW is subscription, vertical progression MMO that get expansions and tons of new content. SWOTOR does do content updates, but more along the lines of GW2, and really gimps you if you don’t subscribe.

That’s what I like about GW2. Tons of stuff to get through on multiple characters, and I don’t have to spend a dime beyond the box purchase and I’m not gimping myself. AND we get new content (even though I really haven’t participated in any of it).

Anyway. IMHO there’s plenty of content in GW2 for the amount I’ve spent on it.

Updated every Monday

I want an expansion

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

GW1 was far more horizontal than this game is. GW1 you were max level with the best gear not long after leaving the tutorial area. Gw1 had no subscription and no micro transactions at all yet still got some free content updates every now and then. A single months worth of gem store stuff they add to this game cost more than gw1 and all the expansions combined.

The last few months of gw1 before gw2 came out had some pretty decent free content updates and i think had a couple after gw2 came out. The only added minor micro transactions to gw1 not long before gw2 came out and from what i remember it was only bank slots which in that game were not needed at all and character slots.

(edited by Finaldeath.1059)

I want an expansion

lordkrall.7241

GW1 was far more horizontal than this game is. GW1 you were max level with the best gear before leaving the tutorial area. Gw1 had no subscription and no micro transactions at all yet still got some free content updates every now and then. A single months worth of gem store stuff they add to this game cost more than gw1 and all the expansions combined.

The last few months of gw1 before gw2 came out had some pretty decent free content updates and i think had a couple after gw2 came out. The only added minor micro transactions to gw1 not long before gw2 came out and from what i remember it was only bank slots which in that game were not needed at all and character slots.

Your memory is quite faulty.

It was 100% impossible to get the best gear in the Tutorial Area in GW1. You are also ignoring the rather big grind required in order to even do the main story or the rather massive grind needed for certain rather important skills.

They also had an in-game store, which was released quite early in the games life. Which sold skills and stuff like that.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

I want an expansion

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

GW1 was far more horizontal than this game is. GW1 you were max level with the best gear before leaving the tutorial area. Gw1 had no subscription and no micro transactions at all yet still got some free content updates every now and then. A single months worth of gem store stuff they add to this game cost more than gw1 and all the expansions combined.

Your memory is quite faulty.

It was 100% impossible to get the best gear in the Tutorial Area in GW1. You are also ignoring the rather big grind required in order to even do the main story or the rather massive grind needed for certain rather important skills.

They also had an in-game store, which was released quite early in the games life. Which sold skills and stuff like that.

Go play nightfall, you get the best gear just before getting on the ship off the tutorial island. The store was only pvp unlocks for people who wanted to only play pvp and not go through pve to get skills for pvp. There was no grind to do the main story in the first gw.

I want an expansion

lordkrall.7241

Go play nightfall, you get the best gear just before getting on the ship off the tutorial island. The store was only pvp unlocks for people who wanted to only play pvp and not go through pve to get skills for pvp. There was no grind to do the main story in the first gw.

I wouldn’t consider the whole of Istan as tutorial though, and even so I don’t recall being able to get the max statted stuff from there, but I might remember wrongly.

Ah yes, and the storage, and the runes, and the skills that could be learned by PvE-characters as well due to trainers and/or skill books, and Mercernaries, and bonus mission pack and other upgraders (such as the rather OP Imp summoning stone.)

There were grind in order to advance both Factions and Nightfalls story line at places.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

I want an expansion

Wynne.3908

How were you tricked?
Did they promise XX new features in a set time frame? If so, please cite.
I’m not following your line of thought.

Did GW1 offer more with their ‘expansion’ model (actually stand alone games)?
Yes, certainly.
GW2 does not use the expansion model (yet), so it is Apples and Oranges

No slight of hand or flim-flam here.
No rabbit hidden in the hat
No trickery

The line of thought is really simple. Eighteen months into GW1 we had two brand new continents to explore etc. It’s not too much of a stretch to assume that GW2 would be doing the same. Whether it comes as a boxed expansion for $60 or some other way is beside the point.

I want an expansion

Wynne.3908

Perhaps you, like so many others on this forum, should stop making the mistake of playing a game you dislike simply because of what you want it to be. Play it for what it is, and if you don’t like what it is in the present, stop playing. ArenaNet has no obligation whatsoever to fulfill your personal desires for the game, and it’s ridiculous to say you were ‘tricked’ when GW2 is an entirely different game from GW1 in the first place.

Who said I disliked it? I love GW2 and am saddened by the fact there’s not a huge bunch of new content to play through, for me and everyone else who loves the game. And while ANET is certainly not obligated to give the people what they want, it sure would help out them financially! Perhaps tricked isn’t the right word but… When they said GW2 would be everything GW1 was and more, I honestly thought we’d be getting the same kind of expansion content. Didn’t you? Didn’t everybody?

I want an expansion

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

It is not about free and paid content. It is about good quality content. I paid for Factions and Nightfall and i loved them. I wouldn’t give a single penny for scarlet.

I would rather pay for good quality content than getting free stuff that ain’t good. I still jump back on GW 2, make some gold, grab a new skin and shelf it once more. I know GW2 is not GW1, but if they had actually had the same mindset as GW1, this game would be so much better.

I want an expansion

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

The OP’s argument is deceptive.
Many skills (in Factions, at least) were duplicates of Prophecies skills.

Additionally, GW2 has had more than a few events (the new “quests”) added since release.

Lastly, I think the Living Story’s goals have been scaled back from the initial Southsun Cove release.

I think they fully planned on developing new zones and releasing them. And with Brisban Wildlands being our next destination, I fully expect a forward push into the Maguuma Wastes.

Just look at one of the new major (and controversial) features of this release: The Megaserver.

Southsun was largely empty after its initial release.

ArenaNet subsequently learned that it could use the Living Story to cart players around Tyria’s world map to less-populated places (and took us back to Southsun)… But after the story’s completion, players moved on.

The Megaserver seems critical to making all zones feel “alive.”
Introducing more zones prior to the Megaserver would have left even more maps feeling empty.

Additionally, the reason each GW1 release had loads of new content is because they had to. They were basically selling a stand-alone “expansion.”

Finally, the release structure of GW1 burnt out the devs very quickly. (After only three releases, they decided to call it quits.) Having to develop all that, while trying to balance thousands of skills was just madness.

I’m not overly disappointed with GW2’s Living Story thus far. I’m only really disappointed with how they’ve decided to monetize it.

They’re counting on Gem Store whales to essentially subsidize the development cost for all players. (Granted, all free-to-play titles do the same thing.)

It’s just disappointing after coming from GW1 post-Nightfall where there were loads of cool skins to try to get.

I’d gladly pay $60 for a chance to return to Cantha with all new armor and weapon skins to collect.

I want an expansion

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

I thought Guild Wars 2 would be getting content updates like Guild Wars 1. Now that isn’t/hasn’t happened and I feel like I’ve been tricked. Seriously… where’s the expansion?

- 240 new skills
-90 new Elite skills
-2 new proffesions
-1 new World map
-4 new guild halls
-13 new co-op missions
-2 new elite missions
-2 competitive missions
-200+ new quests
-New elite area the Deep

-350 new skills
-110 new elite skills
-2 new proffesions
-1 new World Map
-4 new Guild Halls
-20 new missions
-1 new elite mission
-250+ quests
-Heros!
-PvP hero Battles

GW2 after 18 months:
-Scarlet
-Southsun cove
-Fractals
-2 new heal skills
-1 new dungeon path

You do know that GW1 and GW2 are different formats so the time it takes to develop isn’t really comparable. Took 3 years for Starcraft 2 expansion to come out. Time it takes for new content generally depends on graphics of game and Anet seems to have a very high standard for this. Hense the frequent crashes when bosses spawn. I also love how you don’t count the temporary events at all. The ones that had nothing to do with scarlet where pretty decent. Ultimately the game is what it is, like it or hate it it won’t magically become what you want overnight wishing on a star.

I want an expansion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

- 240 new skills
-90 new Elite skills
-2 new proffesions
-1 new World map
-4 new guild halls
-13 new co-op missions
-2 new elite missions
-2 competitive missions
-200+ new quests
-New elite area the Deep

-350 new skills
-110 new elite skills
-2 new proffesions
-1 new World Map
-4 new Guild Halls
-20 new missions
-1 new elite mission
-250+ quests
-Heros!
-PvP hero Battles

GW2 after 18 months:
-Scarlet
-Southsun cove
-Fractals
-2 new heal skills
-1 new dungeon path

Please stop reminding us.

Cant you see we are already mad about something right now. we dont need you making us more mad….

I want an expansion

Posted by: Shift Focus.9083

Shift Focus.9083

All of the temp content T_T really ruined the game

I want an expansion

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

why do you think so many stopped playing the game man? gw2 is awesome but you cant play forever something that you have maxed level got the highest gear and some also craft the legendary after 6-7 months… even the most casual of the casual would stop playing something when he hasnt something to progress anymore… we do need expansion, all this LS crap doesnt work

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

I want an expansion

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

You get what you pay for.

GW2 is one of the most successful F2P games out there in terms of how much money it makes, and per person.

Don’t even kid yourself for a second thinking GW1 made anywhere near what GW2 has already.

The problem is NC Soft knows that they will make more money by investing as little money as possible into small content updates and cash shop updates, nickle and dimeing returning and new players every now and then, instead of major content updates via a ~$40? expansion every year or so.

I want an expansion

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

I’d be quite happy to pay for new content, either through the gem store or a box.

I want an expansion

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

- 240 new skills
-90 new Elite skills
-2 new proffesions
-1 new World map
-4 new guild halls
-13 new co-op missions
-2 new elite missions
-2 competitive missions
-200+ new quests
-New elite area the Deep

-350 new skills
-110 new elite skills
-2 new proffesions
-1 new World Map
-4 new Guild Halls
-20 new missions
-1 new elite mission
-250+ quests
-Heros!
-PvP hero Battles

GW2 after 18 months:
-Scarlet
-Southsun cove
-Fractals
-2 new heal skills
-1 new dungeon path

Aside from the fact that GW2 have had at least 50-100 other features added to the game since release that you either didn’t notice or aren’t interested of and therefore didn’t mention, well… an expansion would be nice.