I want to Pass EXP gain to my alts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I would so like a way to level up my alts by playing the characters I enjoy the most.

I want to get my Ele to level 80 and play it at full effect.

But I simply enjoy playing on my already established 80s, more than I do leveling my Ele.

Some classes and play styles I simple enjoy more. I enjoy the look and feel of playing my heavy armored Warrior/Guardian

and I enjoy the playstyle of my Engineer

And I enjoy the Weapon + Healing Magic hybrid nature of my Ranger.

But the other classes I simply havnt been able to get into like that.

My Ele is in the 50s, but I can never seen to make time for him, because I rather have some fun on my 80s and do some Meta Events, and WvW type stuff, or simply roleplay and chill out in the 80s zones with the scary monsters everywhere.

I cant justify enough to give up that time, to play the boring leveling game just so I can unlock the fun of yet another alt class once it each higher levels.

I wouldnt mind giving my alt all the exp I gain on my 80s, that I gain from continued play. Because the Skill Points gained on my 80s dont mean much to me now. I rather my alt get all that exp to level with.

I simply want to play the characters and classes that I want to play, in order to level my alts.

Does anybody else see my view of this issue?

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

If you want something then you must make some sacrifices to get them. In this case just stuck it up and level that ele like the rest of us.

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

They already make a lot of things account bound. If they also make exp account bounds, im not so sure what’s going to happen. Characters will become less meaningful individuals.

At the same time I understand your pain. I’ve leveled 21 characters to 80 on the same day. So, I’ve been there done that.

I would like a way to transfer skill points though.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

So you want Anet to encourage even more laziness than is already prevalent in the game? Simple answer is : No.

You learn to play the character while leveling. A character can be leveled to 80 in less than 72hrs actual game time. I did a guardian from 0-80 in 69hrs I actually kept tabs on the time since I was curious what rate could be achieved without power leveling by farming champs or doing the EOTM karma train. This is going from 0-80 doing nothing but map exploration, event chains on the maps I happen to be on, harvesting, crafting, personal story and the occasional dungeon.

There is simply nothing to justify making it even easier to gain XP than it already is. This is a stupid idea

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Do dungeon with main, swap to alt right before reward, during ending cutscene.

Make sure you tell your party you’re going to do this so that someone can hold the cutscene. Also make sure you didn’t enter the dungeon first.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I’d support this just because the new trait system makes leveling a lot less enjoyable than it was. The increased speed and weapon recharge traits taking longer to acquire turned leveling into a miserable slog.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

OP, judging by previous threads on the subject, there are people like you and me who would enjoy leveling an alt with their main and jump into the “fun” straight away at 80, and there are people who’re opposed to the idea because they think that the way they want to play is the only way to play and who think that you can’t “learn to play a class” by reading guides for your specific task (like dungeon ele for example) and mastering it in a short time.

There’s been a suggestion not so long ago to sell in Gem Store an “exp accumulator” which could then get activated on an alt; I liked the idea but it got buried after some time.

Apart from that, LS brings up ways of trading some currencies for Tomes of Knowledge every now and then (Bazaar would be likely to have those); you can also get Tomes through PvP on a regular basis now by playing your main if you feel like it.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

Dear Anet,

Every time I land an attack with one of my 4 legendaries, I’d like it to give me 0.125% of the items towards making another legendary. So after 8800 attacks ill have the last 11 legendaries to complete the set!

Thank you.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

sPvP rewards level up tomes at a passable rate. I realize that’s not everyone’s thing, but doing the sPvP dailies (takes less than an hour usually) will probably net you one every 2-3 days. You could get one in a single more focused play session as well.

Your other options are karma training around edge of the mists, or waiting until the Pavilion fires up and following a zerg with an exp booster equipped.

Of these, the Pavilion is probably the best option if you can make time for playing your alt.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Omg, you are playing RPG, level your character!

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

seems like a bakery product consumption and storage issue.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Instant level 80s yeah!

Arrives in a dungeon at level 80 on a class never played before: “Hang on guys, I need to unlock my weapon skills first!”

There’s already tomes of knowledge….

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Make money with the characters you like, use money to level other characters via crafting.

Where is the problem ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

If you want to get your ele to 80 ‘for full effect’ then just level to around 30 and then craft your way to 80. It’s not hard to rush level a toon- but it’s not much fun either.

I’m levelling an ele at the moment and spend maybe an hour a day on it running around in EoTM and wvw, and it’s levelling up nicely without feeling like a complete drag.

As we’re slacking completely in wvw this week (we’ve already won the league) I have even taken it into main wvw maps just to try and learn better positioning for the class.

Speed levelling and not having a clue what you are doing when you hit 80 on a toon isn’t for me.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

Am I weird for thinking you shouldn’t play a character you don’t enjoy playing?

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Am I weird for thinking you shouldn’t play a character you don’t enjoy playing?

Nope, I’m right there with you….

Why have alts if you aren’t going to bother playing them?

Ok, sure, if you have a human mesmer, an asuran mesmer, and make yet another mesmer (say a charr), I can see the potential gripe. But then again, why make so many if you don’t enjoy leveling them?

“Well, I want the class for ‘x’” Then do the work and level it, it’s not like there’s only one means of doing it. Besides, playing the class will give you a better understanding of its finer points.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Azrael.4960

Troll thread is troll

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

While the game has become much more alt-friendly then it was there is still one problem. Everything is gold, (seems to be cash-shop related but that’s yet another discussion) and because everything is gold one would like to get the best possible drops to sell.

However loot is depended on your level so lower level alts will always get lower level drops (that is normal but in most mmo’s is not a big problem, in GW2 is is a problem because of the gold is everything design) what makes levelling alts very unrewarding.

So is that the reason you don’t want to level the alts? Because if you simply don’t like the game-play of those alts why would you want to level them in the first place?

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Some players are happy with one or two characters, others want every profession and every race. Altism is very prevelant in MMO’s, always has been always will be. But the problem is that no MMO caters for that kind of mentality, and it’s a very common one.

When you level up your first and maybe even your second character you don’t mind exploring the map, doing hearts, etc. But after the 3rd or 4th go things start to get very boring and all you want to do is get to max level so you can jump straight to the stuff that is fun.

It’s not about being lazy, I’ve levelled 4 charactsers to 80 and got world complete twice, so I have done my share of work. And that there lies the biggest problem. Work. A game is supposed to be designed around giving players fun things to do. Enough fun things to cater for as many players as possible. If you like leveling up many characters then great, you have that option. But if you do not like re-exploring the same zones over and over to get to the fun stuff, then you are not catered for so much.

I don’t mind leveling so much, so long as you can do the fun things you like while you do it. The main problem I have with alts however, is re-exploring the same maps to unlock waypoints. So with this in mind here is my alternate suggestion:

To help level your alts there should be a way to earn tomes of knowledge to gain levels. Maybe they can be bought with skill points and gold. That way you still have to work for them, but you can do what ever you like while you do it. Additionally, Waypoints should be account bound, but only usable if your character is level appropriate for that waypoint. That way if you are fed up with getting vistas, hearts, poi’s, etc, you can jump straight to where the fun stuff is, so long as your character meets that level. However, if you unlock the waypoint naturally (i.e.- You run there with a low level character) then you can use it regardless of your level. Ultimately, you will have a choice. You can choose to run to the WP or level up enough to use it.

I think another reason that players, myself included, struggle with going through the whole leveling and map exploration process, is because you are not as invested in that alt, as you are with your mains, but you would like the option to use that alt once in a while, for a change of pace. Is it worth all that work just for the occasional spin on another professions? I don’t think so. But if you could do all that work on another character I think that would help a little. So long as the option isn’t quicker or easier to do than how it currently works, and doesn’t effect players who do not like having alts, I really see no issue with having these options.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

The way I levelled alts in other mmo’s was very different. I love to explore but never went exploring to explore, that more happened along the way.

I usually has my goals. For example, I started one character with some fun-craft (they do not exist in GW2 but think of something like engineering in GW). I was mainly focused on doing that. I needed an item or a recipe an so I would slowly level up the craft and at the same time I was levelling my char.. Not really busy levelling it simply happened.
When I was somewhere and I saw something interesting in the distance I went to check it out. That was my exploring and I hat fun all the way.

Another alt like a ranger I would start looking for race and special pets usually combined with trying to collect mini’s in the world. Then again also send me all over the world finding the pets and collecting the mini’s.

Then you take another alt on another faction who has it’s own mini’s or fun-craft and mounts and so on.

Most of those things are just not possible in GW2. Skins, mini’s are all behind just a gold-grind (best to do at lvl 80), fun-crafts don’t exist, exploring is also not that great because of the smaller maps, no seamless world and no mounts and also crafting is mainly a gold-grind what mean you better have a lvl 80 to grind to gold for your crafting.

Azrael.4960

Some players are happy with one or two characters, others want every profession and every race. Altism is very prevelant in MMO’s, always has been always will be. But the problem is that no MMO caters for that kind of mentality, and it’s a very common one.

When you level up your first and maybe even your second character you don’t mind exploring the map, doing hearts, etc. But after the 3rd or 4th go things start to get very boring and all you want to do is get to max level so you can jump straight to the stuff that is fun.

It’s not about being lazy, I’ve levelled 4 charactsers to 80 and got world complete twice, so I have done my share of work. And that there lies the biggest problem. Work. A game is supposed to be designed around giving players fun things to do. Enough fun things to cater for as many players as possible. If you like leveling up many characters then great, you have that option. But if you do not like re-exploring the same zones over and over to get to the fun stuff, then you are not catered for so much.

I don’t mind leveling so much, so long as you can do the fun things you like while you do it. The main problem I have with alts however, is re-exploring the same maps to unlock waypoints. So with this in mind here is my alternate suggestion:

To help level your alts there should be a way to earn tomes of knowledge to gain levels. Maybe they can be bought with skill points and gold. That way you still have to work for them, but you can do what ever you like while you do it. Additionally, Waypoints should be account bound, but only usable if your character is level appropriate for that waypoint. That way if you are fed up with getting vistas, hearts, poi’s, etc, you can jump straight to where the fun stuff is, so long as your character meets that level. However, if you unlock the waypoint naturally (i.e.- You run there with a low level character) then you can use it regardless of your level. Ultimately, you will have a choice. You can choose to run to the WP or level up enough to use it.

I think another reason that players, myself included, struggle with going through the whole leveling and map exploration process, is because you are not as invested in that alt, as you are with your mains, but you would like the option to use that alt once in a while, for a change of pace. Is it worth all that work just for the occasional spin on another professions? I don’t think so. But if you could do all that work on another character I think that would help a little. So long as the option isn’t quicker or easier to do than how it currently works, and doesn’t effect players who do not like having alts, I really see no issue with having these options.

that’s probably a fair point. I’ve done Map exploration twice as well. First time since I needed the gifts anyway for my legendary, second time was with a ranger and felt that a ranger should have everywhere discovered. Now kicking off a third and fourth map exploration with 2 other characters might even do a 5th at some point. All 5 of my chars have long been lvl 80s so it won’t be like I’ll be leveling as I go. So why am I doing a 3rd. let along a 4th map exploration run? The first 2 explo’s were done quite some time ago and since then I’ve been doing a lot of other things, like crafting and dungeons and wvw etc, and haven’t been out exploring. It’s also to remind myself of the work that Anet put into creating the art of the world. The whole point of the vistas was to bask in the back drops. So having done the first two characters within 6 months of release, I felt it was time to go out and look at it all again, kinda like reading a book again to find the parts you liked but also to get away from the crowds. Especially now with megaservers, certain areas are going to be heavily populated while others will have more ppl than before but still be relatively sparse.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

PvP

Play your main character, get 3 levels for your alt everytime you complete a region or Dungeon track.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I find the shared experience to be completely ludicrous.

However, I do feel there should be more ways to acquire Tomes of Knowledge. They’ve just always been so stupidly limited. Don’t hand out Tomes like hotcakes but at least make them a little more acquirable.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

If you don’t like playing your Ele, why on earth do you want it to be level 80? Confused.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I would so like a way to level up my alts by playing the characters I enjoy the most.

I want to get my Ele to level 80 and play it at full effect.

But I simply enjoy playing on my already established 80s, more than I do leveling my Ele.

Some classes and play styles I simple enjoy more. I enjoy the look and feel of playing my heavy armored Warrior/Guardian

and I enjoy the playstyle of my Engineer

And I enjoy the Weapon + Healing Magic hybrid nature of my Ranger.

But the other classes I simply havnt been able to get into like that.

My Ele is in the 50s, but I can never seen to make time for him, because I rather have some fun on my 80s and do some Meta Events, and WvW type stuff, or simply roleplay and chill out in the 80s zones with the scary monsters everywhere.

I cant justify enough to give up that time, to play the boring leveling game just so I can unlock the fun of yet another alt class once it each higher levels.

I wouldnt mind giving my alt all the exp I gain on my 80s, that I gain from continued play. Because the Skill Points gained on my 80s dont mean much to me now. I rather my alt get all that exp to level with.

I simply want to play the characters and classes that I want to play, in order to level my alts.

Does anybody else see my view of this issue?

I see that your account only has 838 hours across all characters. The problem here is that you’re a Casual player. If you focused more time into the game, then you’d have more time to have fun.

That said, there already exists a way for you to level your Alts without ever having to touch them. If you play SPvP, one of the rewards you get is a Tome of Knowledge, which lets you instantly level up any character. I think I have over 80 of these in my Bank, so I could make a new toon, and be at end game within seconds.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tome_of_Knowledge

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

I want to be able to buy XP scrolls with karma.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

OP: I feel you. I’m in the same position. While I enjoy playing my necro alt, I also like to do dungeon runs with my guild. I am also working on a legendary for my main, so spend most of the time playing him. But I do find doing all the hearts, events, vistas, etc. boring. However I don’t think accountbound EXP across all characters is a good idea. At best, you’d have a bunch of level 80s that you had no idea what to do with and wouldn’t be able to be effective in any group. At worst, everyone would have a bunch of level 80s, and lower level content and zones would become massive zerg fests (even more then they are already) and become even more dead as there would be no reason to ever be there.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: kratan.4619

kratan.4619

This idea would be like sharing WXP across your account. Then I wouldn’t even have to play my ele in WvW to earn arrow cart mastery…

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Next, they’ll want to just be able to swap professions with the same character.

Then they’ll want to just skip all that and have their characters be level 80 upon creation.

Why not just ask for a pack of all the legendary weapons to go with it as well?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Some of the post in this place are just jaw-dropping…..

There does not seem to be a limit to what entitled players WANT…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

pdavis.8031

This idea would be like sharing WXP across your account. Then I wouldn’t even have to play my ele in WvW to earn arrow cart mastery…

Yes, but WvW is totally different then PvE, in almost every aspect. In WvW your character level is already 80 so thats not really an issue. Having WXP account wide makes it easier to play WvW with alts and be able to bring more to the table by maintaing the WvW rewards already earned for the account.

PvE EXP account wide would just mean a bunch more level 80s, no clue how to play them and not having ANY gear to speak of. Than people would be complaining that they couldn’t afford exotics, or crafting/grinding for gear was too expensive, and too boring, and how GW2 is becoming nothing but a grindfest and how much Anet sucks for implementing such a horrible system.

Reaching level 80 is supposed to be a milestone. Having all you alts reach it at once trivializes that.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Zyst.3514

Zyst.3514

If you enjoy playing your character and wish to level alts by playing only it, its possible. You’ll have to do dungeons and swap at end as stated above, or alot of spvp to get tomes of knowledge every 8 or so games.

Ranger main, no matter what nerf bat they hit us with!
SF guild on Jade Quarry.
Fav pet; Reef Drake

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Why would you want to wait until your alts are 80 to start learning them. I would feel sorry for any group doing level 80 content that was with a player that literally had no idea how to play its class. “Hold on guys, I haven’t unlocked these weapon skills yet”, “Hey can engineer use longbow? How do grenades work, what do these utility skills do?” “OMG bug I can’t weapon swap on my ele!” It would be a nightmare.

Is this whole post simply because you want to say you have a bunch of level 80s?

In WvW, you uplevel to 80 PLUS you can still level. Best of both worlds! So just play WvW, it will give you the illusion of being level 80 while still getting XP towards leveling up (would have to deal with less skills/traits, but whatever you wouldn’t know what to do with them anyway, level 80 or not).

If you want to learn your character, all their skills and traits, then PvP is the way to go. Throw your lowbies in there, do a hotjoin then start learning the class. Then hop back into WvW to level up that character.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Honestly, leveling wasn’t as bad 2 months ago before they pushed every meaningful milestone back 20 levels. With no traits till 30, and no GMs till 80, leveling feels like a boring chore now. That’s saying a lot, since I’m an altoholic with many 80s and many deleted alts. I just can’t bring myself to level a new toon with these changes.

Hopefully, tomorrow’s update will give you both access to more tomes and a Pavillion zerg like last time for fast levels.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Please accept our apology for not wanting to play the game your way and for requesting options that, though do not effect your ability to enjoy the game, do offend your entitled sense of control over other players preferences.

We will try to desire changes only you find acceptable from now on.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

pdavis.8031

Please accept our apology for not wanting to play the game your way and for requesting options that, though do not effect your ability to enjoy the game, do offend your entitled sense of control over other players preferences.

Thank you for your understanding. Carry on.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

I have 6 80’s after leveling that, it gets harder to level. At 80 is where you can finally complete your build and work on your look, anything before that is just tedious grinding.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m glad that there are a players like you who are understanding. It only helps to make the forums much better.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!