I want to fight a doppelganger.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Technically I would be posting this in a ‘suggestion’ forum, but that doesn’t exist anymore. So I guess I post it here!

Anet. I wanna fight a doppelganger. A real one. Similar to my character in every single way. Not some shadowy construct like the one from Arcana Obscura. That was cool, but not cool enough. I want a truly epic fight against a version of myself. An enemy that is very devastating and uses the exact same skills, traits, and weapons as me. (Me? I? Grammar lovers, which is it; me or I?)

If I’m a mesmer, I want it to summon clones. If I’m a thief, I want it stealthing away to laugh in my face. If I’m an ele, I wanna dodge out of the way from a barrage of meteors. Heck, maybe it even swaps the same elements. Or better yet, mimicks every kitten freaking move! Every dodge, every attack, every thing.

…Actually, that probably won’t work well. Just make it really annoying to kill.

I only have the most vague idea of how insanely difficult that would be to code. and I assume it would be a daunting task. But if it even gains a little bit of merit, that would be really awesome. Wouldn’t you agree?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I recommend cryogenically preserving yourself so you can play Guild Wars 7, now with high-order AI nemesis agents.

OR just play some sPvP.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: the krytan assassin.9235

the krytan assassin.9235

there’s already a place where you can do that! it’s called PvP! Okey now without kidding, npc’s have always been boosted in their dps because they can’t give them a “working brain”. you can fight against an enemy with exactly the same skills, but he won’t be using the skills that effectively. If you want real hard 1v1’s PvP/WvW roam is the only place that offers that. Also alot of players are using same builds nowadays (metabattle etc) so basically you’ll be still fighting against your own build in some cases, however the build wouldn’t be bottlenecked by a kittened computer during those fights ;p

DDD|elementalist| Piken commander|RaW|

Arikyali.5804

I recommend cryogenically preserving yourself so you can play Guild Wars 7, now with high-order AI nemesis agents.

OR just play some sPvP.

But….everyone is either better or worse than me. q.q

Besides, I fought a doppleganger in another game….granted, that game was horrible and I left it for this one. >.> But at least it’s slightly doable, yes?

Nike.2631

I promise if I programed a fully tactical doppelganger AI it’d be better than you too .

Arikyali.5804

I promise if I programed a fully tactical doppelganger AI it’d be better than you too .

Oh….OH. Excuse me while I go look for some bandages.

It doesn’t need to be programmed to be that good. Meep.

Nike.2631

I generally “program” for tabletop RPGs, and a good doppleganger match can be fun, but in my experience the player knows their build better and the GM just flat out cheats to make up the difference .

But really do you actually want a fight that comes down to a coin toss because the opposition is exactly equivalent?

Arikyali.5804

I generally “program” for tabletop RPGs, and a good doppleganger match can be fun, but in my experience the player knows their build better and the GM just flat out cheats to make up the difference .

But really do you actually want a fight that comes down to a coin toss because the opposition is exactly equivalent?

No, I would rather just do PvP if such was the case.

I just wanted a doppleganger fight that was more… intense than the one in Arcana Obscura. See a mob that uses the exact same skills as myself. I was a little disappointed that my copy didn’t do anything but auto attack. It was still a neat concept, I just wanted a bit more challenge out of that fight.

Nike.2631

I’m always sympathetic to more stylish experiences.

The issue is mostly synergy – the existing AI could probably copy your skills to a degree, but understanding the near-optimal order to use them in… rough.

Game AI is going to be a big deal this year. Maybe you’ll get a better mirror-match before Christmas…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

They had something like this in GW1, it was the final test before becoming Ascended. The doppleganger had health, energy and other stats based on your profession and all the same skills you had on your bar.

Unfortunately the AI wasn’t really up to the task and there were a number of ways to ‘trick’ it. For example if you were playing a ranger you could just equip lots of spirits which, in GW1, affected both enemies and allies equally and had quite long cast times. So the doppleganger would spend time summoning spirits that helped you too, while you could get on with killing it.

Admittedly that was made about 10 years ago, and AI has moved on since then, but I still don’t think it’s up to being able to use any build as well as a real person. It’s probably possible to program AI to use one build just like a person, but not every possible combination in GW2.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

They had something like this in GW1, it was the final test before becoming Ascended. The doppleganger had health, energy and other stats based on your profession and all the same skills you had on your bar.

Unfortunately the AI wasn’t really up to the task and there were a number of ways to ‘trick’ it. For example if you were playing a ranger you could just equip lots of spirits which, in GW1, affected both enemies and allies equally and had quite long cast times. So the doppleganger would spend time summoning spirits that helped you too, while you could get on with killing it.

Admittedly that was made about 10 years ago, and AI has moved on since then, but I still don’t think it’s up to being able to use any build as well as a real person. It’s probably possible to program AI to use one build just like a person, but not every possible combination in GW2.

Doppelganger couldnt use pve only skills. But if youre talking about before pve skills fun times coming up with a way to beat him especially for monk.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.