I wish I could dye my abilities

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zephyria.6103

Zephyria.6103

yep…I wish I had a dye channel for my abilities. Just one dye channel. My necro is a vision of pink and turquoise. Granted, I could redesign her to be green…maybe I’m just OCD…but just putting it out there in case there’s a 1% chance it could happen.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This is something that I love in CO, and would be delighted to see here.

Zephyria.6103

what game is CO short for?

Posted by: Keypek.5716

Keypek.5716

Champions Online I’m guessing.

Personally I’d just be happy with being able to dye weapons. I like most of the ascended weapon designs but hate having to always use the red ones for the most part which clash with everything. And being able to dye weapon effects would be sweet.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Exactly!!! Hello fellow CO player! -high fives- Edit: Yes, Champions Online!

Zephyria.6103

Ah, cool, thank you!

Yeah…weapon dyes would also be great but I tend to use smaller weapons so it’s not been that big a deal for me yet. Once I get a character that uses greatsword it’ll probably become something I yearn for.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Champions Online I’m guessing.

Personally I’d just be happy with being able to dye weapons. I like most of the ascended weapon designs but hate having to always use the red ones for the most part which clash with everything. And being able to dye weapon effects would be sweet.

Use the MF recipe to switch it to the stat type that has the color you want, and then swap back to the stats you USE, then skin with the color you WANT. Profit.

edit: necros, guards, and mesmers are a handful of professions who have a color theme more than the other professions.

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

I miss being able to color my powers. I could do it in city of heroes (which still had a lot of far better game systems then current MMOs, still bitter about what happened, but that is another story), warframe, etc. The fact we have spend charges to change armor looks still annoys me.

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

If I could color my abilities, I would make a spirit weapon guardian, color them green, name him Green Lantern!

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I’d love to be able to recolor my mesmer and guardian to fully match my SAB weapon skin effects. And not be locked into Purple and Blue color schemes respectively.

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

My neighbor player a fair amount of warframe and said something similar. I don’t know honestly .
I think it should give you the option to, but i don’t know how that might impact visual feedback you ingame. I could imagine it to be hard to differenciate the white ice field from the white waterfield from the white darkness field from the white chaos field. I really like the idea but i don’t know what impact it might have to wvw for instance.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

My neighbor player a fair amount of warframe and said something similar. I don’t know honestly .
I think it should give you the option to, but i don’t know how that might impact visual feedback you ingame. I could imagine it to be hard to differenciate the white ice field from the white waterfield from the white darkness field from the white chaos field. I really like the idea but i don’t know what impact it might have to wvw for instance.

I think fields like that should have to stay their colors. But weapon trails and projectiles should have color channels, IMO.

Posted by: revodeel.2651

revodeel.2651

CoH had this feature as well. But sure, I’m on board. The more customization the better.

Do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Silberfederling.9302

I think fields like that should have to stay their colors. But weapon trails and projectiles should have color channels, IMO.

I can see that work.

Dying your weapons would also be quite interesting. We do need a pink gahstly shield XD

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I think they said something about choosing that we should not be able to dye our weapons.

On topic though, I would also like to colour my abilities as others said, it is a cool mechanic in CO.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Exactly!!! Hello fellow CO player! -high fives- Edit: Yes, Champions Online!

Champions Online? That garbage? Ain’t nobody care bout that :p

I miss being able to color my powers. I could do it in city of heroes (which still had a lot of far better game systems then current MMOs, still bitter about what happened, but that is another story), warframe, etc. The fact we have spend charges to change armor looks still annoys me.

But this person! Knows what they’re talkin’ about.

Oddly enough though, I actually favor how Blade and Soul handled their cosmetic/armor systems. Similar to CoH, they disassociate gear and cosmetics completely so you can be free to upgrade your stats, skills and weapons and keep your same look or change your outfit every day and not need to fiddle with cosmetic change tokens/charges to do it. Even though there isn’t much mix-and-match to make unique looks in BnS, the outfits look decently detailed and unique from each other. They just need to give the option to dye said outfit.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

This is what I suggested already several times over the years with Anet implementating the feature of “Skill Skins” to allow us to change the visuals of our skills, so that for example you don’t like red Fireballs and you unlock for your account the “Spiritfire Skill Skins”, then this Skill Skin Set enables you to activate on skill basis seperatively to change the skin from the standard red fireball to the* “Spiritfire Fireball”* which would result in your fireballs getting hsot out not anymore in their standard red model, but instead in their spiritfire BLUE color and animations ect.

This system would be especially great for all the various kinds of MINION SKILLS to give our minions in the game different greater and more epic looking designs of up to legendary proportions.

Skill Skns as feature could be used to give our skills in the game also visually some kind of feeling for “Progression”, that our skilsl also visually progress further, can become looking more dangerous than the orinal 101 starter skill skins with that we all are playing now since game release.

to test such a feature out with some new diffferent Minion Designs as alternative Skill Skins is I think absolutely not wrong and is somethign that Anet should just test out and see, how the community reacts on something like this.
its also another option with that anet could make money over the gemstore naturally also too for when they run out of ideas for gliders, then continue with Skill Skins as next new flavor of the moment Gemstore Moneymaker Visual Fluff perhaps.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I’m going to go against the grain here and play devil’s advocate on the subject:

To me, it just doesn’t really fit GW to have custom skill looks outside of physical character model animations. I feel this way because the game’s lore seems to bridge us all together using its defined palette and story. Tyria is more defined and concrete with how we see it or how things occur and doesn’t do well allowing us the player to define or explain things about our characters.

So you want green Spirit Weapons for your Guardian. Okay, why? And how? Now if we simply don’t care about lore or story, then the “why” is because we want in and the “how” is just program it in. But from a lore standpoint, magic has a school and those schools have color. It’s very different from a game like CO or CoH where we define every aspect of our character, from what race they are, their home of origin all the way down to the source of their powers but that’s just not the case here.

Oddly enough, I still try to utilize “my own explanations” for my characters but yeah, I still try to work it into the lore of the game (like my Asura Warrior having the strength of a Norn because he was exposed to chaos magic from the Thaumanova reactor accident).

Ashen.2907

I’m going to go against the grain here and play devil’s advocate on the subject:

To me, it just doesn’t really fit GW to have custom skill looks outside of physical character model animations. I feel this way because the game’s lore seems to bridge us all together using its defined palette and story. Tyria is more defined and concrete with how we see it or how things occur and doesn’t do well allowing us the player to define or explain things about our characters.

So you want green Spirit Weapons for your Guardian. Okay, why? And how? Now if we simply don’t care about lore or story, then the “why” is because we want in and the “how” is just program it in. But from a lore standpoint, magic has a school and those schools have color. It’s very different from a game like CO or CoH where we define every aspect of our character, from what race they are, their home of origin all the way down to the source of their powers but that’s just not the case here.

Oddly enough, I still try to utilize “my own explanations” for my characters but yeah, I still try to work it into the lore of the game (like my Asura Warrior having the strength of a Norn because he was exposed to chaos magic from the Thaumanova reactor accident).

Anet, in game setting, has established that spell visuals can vary.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Some customization makes sense, but I think in some ways it’s better as it is now. The amount of neon green and pink flames from fire attuned eles/flamethrows/fire effects etc might be a bit immersion breaking :P

Ashen.2907

Some customization makes sense, but I think in some ways it’s better as it is now. The amount of neon green and pink flames from fire attuned eles/flamethrows/fire effects etc might be a bit immersion breaking :P

Visual immersion went out the door a long time ago.

Silberfederling.9302

Its totally immersive to shoot ponies at people and switch to my sugarcane. How dare you XD

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Based on? There are some things that are sorta out of place, the pony/kitty bows. Other than those though, theres nothing I can think of that’s quite as obvious as some color selected abilities might become.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

The only problem I can imagine with this is in PvP/WvW where colour/animations is quite important in being able to quickly judge what your opponents are on the field.

Of course, being able to use standard models (or just having the feature turned off for enemy players) would be a solution.

Just remember that with every problem a feature brings, extra dev time has to be assigned to coming up with a solution.

I do think it would open up so many more possibilities regarding aesthetic though. I think somebody mentioned a similar idea about gem-store “aesthetic packs”, so as an example, mesmers could swap to blue bird animations instead of pink butterflies. I think a colour filter would be a lot easier than building new animations though, so +1 OP.