I would like to have a mount

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: baalblade.8465

baalblade.8465

This game world is so big it makes World of Warcraft map look like a joke.

It would be nice if we can get some mount to help us travel around.

Especially with so much things to explore.

I would willing to buy one too, if they have it.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

hopefully soon, i really want mounts for wvwvw

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

hopefully soon, i really want mounts for wvwvw

I think the game is fine without mounts but it would be cool if there was like some asuran apache siege machine or something flying vehicle in wvw.

Posted by: Hyena.7963

Hyena.7963

I’d rather they never include mounts.

For one thing it’s so, so easy to get around in the world thanks to waypoints and compact maps.

For another, I don’t want some jackwit riding past me on an obnoxiously loud motorcycle every five seconds.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

One of the things that made GW2 popular was no mounts. However, since there’s no open world PvP other than WvW it kind of mitigates the no mount idea somewhat, but not entirely since you’re forced to deal with mobs. I think mounts are a good idea (no flying mounts although I love the concept behind them for PvE servers but they just wouldn’t work with GW2’s architecture and zones are basically instanced, so no flying from Cursed Shore to Melchior’s Leap) only if they have a jousting system too. Thieves could have a spear main hand and dagger offhand or use shortbows from mounts while warriors could have lances (a new weapon introduced that’s exclusive to mounts and traditionally muscular classes like guardians and warriors).

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

Hopefully never. Fortunately, Anet has officially confirmed that position since long before release.

The reason is that it eliminates the illusion of scale, making the world seem small, and that it encourages people to skip content because they don’t want to dismount when they see an event pop up.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Lande.5782

Lande.5782

Thankfully, never.

A gear treadmill in Guild Wars, seriously?
http://i.imgur.com/Gt6Za.jpg

Posted by: Kouken.8604

Kouken.8604

go play panda for mounts, we dont want them, and they will never be added

vespers.1759

well by that logic we should also remove speed buffs. that’s all a mount is, a speedbuff. and frankly when my staff speed buff last 9s vs what other classes get i’d really like a mount.

and there’s like zero waypoints in wvwvw, which must make lots and lots of people totally frustrated when they die. i know it does to me.

anyway i have yet to see a good argument against mounts.

Posted by: Varyag.3751

Varyag.3751

Never, mounts are useless in video games unless they’re like the mounts in games like Mount&Blade – actually useful in combat.

I play Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief.

Posted by: gadenp.7586

gadenp.7586

Please no mounts.

I do not mind having temporary mounts given out temporarily during events, that maybe last 1 minute. After all, a mount is a speed buff.

But again maybe not, as if that happens the mount lovers will come out in force, wanting something permanent.

Posted by: Grumwulf.9602

Grumwulf.9602

A mount that is just 25% speed and comes with its own skill bar of charges, leaps, hoof cracks etc would be cool. Consumable instead of being permanent, like a tonic. Cosmetic, consumable, collectable perhaps(everlasting tonic version), underpowered in combat, CC-able…I think it could work.

vespers.1759

mounts sell like hotcakes. charge 20$ for one and many, many people will buy them. i don’t see how anyone could reasonably argue that mounts skip content. if anything they increase it by making travel more interesting for players and therefore reducing waypoint travel.

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

Maybe land based mounts like the cows :P. I would never actually want a real mount to get around normally, sometimes like though orr because of the 10k undead each one with slows, yanks, and other things in each area but never though the other zones since its not a issue to get around.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

well by that logic we should also remove speed buffs. that’s all a mount is, a speedbuff. and frankly when my staff speed buff last 9s vs what other classes get i’d really like a mount.

and there’s like zero waypoints in wvwvw, which must make lots and lots of people totally frustrated when they die. i know it does to me.

anyway i have yet to see a good argument against mounts.

There are few waypoints in wvwvw by design. It adds a consequence to dieing.

vespers.1759

it also makes it extremely hard to break out when you’re down to your last keep.

Posted by: Gibbel.5734

Gibbel.5734

Mounts would at to the immersion of the game so i vote yes..

Posted by: Great Samuel.5346

Great Samuel.5346

Waypoints are killing the immersion of the game. Once you hit 100% map you never go these places again.

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

This game doesnt need mounts, you already have waypoints.

Please Arenanet, there are many fan suggestions you should NEVER consider, this is one of them

vespers.1759

This game doesnt need mounts, you already have waypoints.

Please Arenanet, there are many fan suggestions you should NEVER consider, this is one of them

give me a real reason for why you’re so against it.

Posted by: camoflaugz.5031

camoflaugz.5031

I vote YES to this too..Ive already made a whole post on this topic before and thought id support this one as well. I have quite a bit of reasons for backing this up but the main one is because the zones are empty because there are no mounts. Lets put it this way.. If you had to choose what would more likely cause a zone to be empty which one would it be? 1. ground mount, 2. flying mount or 3. way points. Its pretty obvious which one it would be. As of now I’m only farming tokens from COF, I only travel from Divinity’s reach and COF so if your a player thats in between those zones, guess what?….your never gonna see me because ill never be passing through your area. I just port to the other side of where your at.

A real life friend and guildmate of mine just quit recently because he just couldn’t understand how there couldn’t be mounts in the game. And no he didn’t go back to wow he actually liked guildwars 2 better but the whole no mount thing was a game breaker for him. Hope they reconsider the whole mount thing.

Posted by: Krighton.2138

Krighton.2138

Basically, you’re an idiot if you’re against mounts. From a marketing stand point it’s the smartest thing you can do at this point.

WvW is worse than a full time job , not to mention it takes 2 hours to get back into any action after your .0003 second fight is over and only one way point to use.

Alternatlively they could add more waypoints for 10 gold per trip, that sounds about as reasonable as a new trendy Apple Product right kids?

Bottom line, Mounts are needed more than Anet realizes, will drop the ball after most of the player base has dropped the game anyway…

so yeah maybe it doesn’t matter, no money to pay the programmers to make a mount for a total 1000 subscri…..players.

Posted by: Katostrophe.3274

Katostrophe.3274

Never i hope this game isnt the kind that needs mounts.

Gibbel.5734

why wouldnt you want mounts.. it’s like saying no to candy ..

Posted by: NightFire.7563

NightFire.7563

Hopefully soon. I wouldn’t mind being able to craft my own mount. Like the chair from Game of Thrones but in a motorcycle style.

Again. Any and all arguments against Mounts are already nulled and void. GGNORE.

Posted by: Shadow.3289

Shadow.3289

I praise that Mounts are never placed into Guild Wars 2 It is a unique game with its own game style, They have Waypoints so Mounts aren’t required.

“A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom”
StormBluff Isle

Hyena.7963

mounts sell like hotcakes. charge 20$ for one and many, many people will buy them. i don’t see how anyone could reasonably argue that mounts skip content. if anything they increase it by making travel more interesting for players and therefore reducing waypoint travel.

Uh. How?

And why would they want to reduce waypoint travel?

it also makes it extremely hard to break out when you’re down to your last keep.

If you’re down to your last keep you should be defending that keep and not running off to capture a supply depot somewhere.

Waypoints are killing the immersion of the game. Once you hit 100% map you never go these places again.

At 100% map completion you wouldn’t go to those places again if you had a mount or not. You can argue that getting to Orr from Lion’s Arch would require visiting all the zones between those two points, but if they removed waypoints then people would want alternative super-fast travel, like flight points.

Flight points don’t work in this game, where every zone is instanced. Or they would, but you’d end up sitting through 7 loading screens when you went anywhere.

Plus, because there’s no monthly fee for this game, there’s no need for time-sinks to hinder your travel.

(edited by Hyena.7963)

Gibbel.5734

Why wouldnt you want them.. Obviously they aren’t required to get places.. i mean even without waypoints they still wouldnt be required..
It’s fun to have them to start with.
Even if Guildwars would start to use mounts this game would still be just as unique as before. Instead now you have Extra content items to look out for..
I mean i would love to see some mounts that fit each race for example.
Human – Horse
Asura – Golem
Charr- Chubby human

etc

I just don’t get why ppl say no to extra stuff lol..

Hyena.7963

I vote YES to this too..Ive already made a whole post on this topic before and thought id support this one as well. I have quite a bit of reasons for backing this up but the main one is because the zones are empty because there are no mounts. Lets put it this way.. If you had to choose what would more likely cause a zone to be empty which one would it be? 1. ground mount, 2. flying mount or 3. way points. Its pretty obvious which one it would be. As of now I’m only farming tokens from COF, I only travel from Divinity’s reach and COF so if your a player thats in between those zones, guess what?….your never gonna see me because ill never be passing through your area. I just port to the other side of where your at.

Mounts won’t populate zones. Mounts might cause you to see maybe one or two people riding past you but they’re not going to stop and help you because they probably have somewhere else to be.

It doesn’t matter if we “never see you” because you’ll just be running past us anyway.

A real life friend and guildmate of mine just quit recently because he just couldn’t understand how there couldn’t be mounts in the game. And no he didn’t go back to wow he actually liked guildwars 2 better but the whole no mount thing was a game breaker for him. Hope they reconsider the whole mount thing.

This boggles my mind. He wasted $50 because he “couldn’t understand” not having a mount?

Basically, you’re an idiot if you’re against mounts. From a marketing stand point it’s the smartest thing you can do at this point.

Please explain this.

WvW is worse than a full time job , not to mention it takes 2 hours to get back into any action after your .0003 second fight is over and only one way point to use.

That’s the entire point. If players could move faster than they do now, sieges would take FOREVER because the defenders could respawn and ride all the way back to the keep. They could blow past the attackers, who probably wouldn’t even have time to render them on their screens before they were safely inside the walls with a fresh stock of supplies and ready to prolong the stalemate.

Alternatlively they could add more waypoints for 10 gold per trip, that sounds about as reasonable as a new trendy Apple Product right kids?

…What?

Bottom line, Mounts are needed more than Anet realizes, will drop the ball after most of the player base has dropped the game anyway…

You haven’t shown that at all.

so yeah maybe it doesn’t matter, no money to pay the programmers to make a mount for a total 1000 subscri…..players.

How will mounts make money for the programmers, exactly? They’d never make mounts a gem shop-exclusive item because that would be the definition of selling power, so all mounts would do is create a brand new gold sink. You could buy gems for the gold, sure, but that’s a minimum of $10 and if it costs less than 800 gems then most people will buy said gems with gold.

Again, no money coming in.

Why wouldnt you want them.. Obviously they aren’t required to get places.. i mean even without waypoints they still wouldnt be required..
It’s fun to have them to start with.
Even if Guildwars would start to use mounts this game would still be just as unique as before. Instead now you have Extra content items to look out for..
I mean i would love to see some mounts that fit each race for example.
Human – Horse
Asura – Golem
Charr- Chubby human

etc

Because:

1) I don’t want more gold sinks in the game.

2) Charr would have to have enormous mounts which would be as obnoxious and stupid-looking as Tauren on Kodo.

3) With or without waypoints, there’s no reason for mounts. The world of Tyria is meant to be experienced, not blown past at 100 mph.

4) There are so many events in the game that you’d spend more time off your mount than on it, and when you were on it you’d probably be loathe to hop off because constantly re-mounting would be annoying.

So far it seems like the only reason you guys want mounts is because World of Warcraft had them. Instead of calling everyone who disagrees with you idiots, why don’t you try to understand why they’re not in the game?

Posted by: samrogan.9132

samrogan.9132

I think it would be a smart move on ANets part. People who want them buy them, ANet makes money. People who don’t continue on their merry way unaffected. Maybe an upgrade for speed percentages for people who don’t care about awesome rideable dragons?

I would love mounts and feel more encouraged to explore if it didn’t take me 25 years to reach places. I know there are waypoints but when I reach that point in my mind where it’s between the silver in my pocket and my time, I’d rather begrudgingly walk.

Not that I would leave the game without this feature but it would add to my personal quality of life in the game

Posted by: samrogan.9132

samrogan.9132

Before I take a verbal beating I will add that I like them mainly for the prestige/aesthetic aspect which I think this game could use a teensy bit more of (and not because they’re in WoW)

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

Mount to travel around would be great idea. Provided they are banned from WvW and does not help player in battle or jumping quest or a quick escape out of battle. Just a 20% sped increase when mounted and no skills or traits will buff it whatever!

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

No. Im tired of there being 100’s of mounts all around important npc’s like in all other games with mounts.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I’m sort of inbetween the two camps.

Functionally, mounts wouldn’t really add anything to the run+waypoint system.

Immersion-wise, it’s split – mounts are immersive in one sense (it makes sense to ride a horse, etc., to get somewhere). On the other hand, mounts can be very immersion-breaking too, when you can just pull them out of your kitten and people use them indoors, etc. It just looks stupid.

On the whole, I like the system where you have waypoints if you need to get somewhere fast, and running (or even walking – I often walk) if you just want to smell the roses.

However, if mounts had to be tetherable (not useable indoors or in cities, only on outdoor terrain) and you couldn’t just whisk them out of your kitten then I’d be in favour.

(edited by gurugeorge.9857)

camoflaugz.5031

I like waypoints but I think mounts would help the game in more ways then people realize. I’m not in favor of removing waypoints but I do think that mounts should still be added along with it. I guess I believe in catering to a wider audience without giving up any of the games flavor. Nobody can really give real reasons why they shouldn’t be added other than its not needed? Or we dont wanna be like wow, this is unique? These really arent good reasons as to why they shouldn’t be added. I think that a successful game takes the best aspects of things while still adding their own flavor. I can still play the game even if mounts aren’t added but I think ill always feel like not adding mounts is a bad decision because the only people that the game is catering to is the ones that are already in it and who knows how long these players will be around.

Posted by: edjahman.9104

edjahman.9104

I would actually buy gems if they added mounts.

Posted by: Varyag.3751

Varyag.3751

Because there is better extra stuff they could be spending their resources on.

I play Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief.

Posted by: Seddrick.2913

Seddrick.2913

The dev.s pretty much stated that there will be NO mounts in this game. They wanted to make it feel a whole heck of a lot more epic then some of those games that have mounts. Plus, I like the instant travel and just running to places. Really nice scenery.

Posted by: Minda.9270

Minda.9270

Mounts in my personal view is just one of those things people will invest in to wag it around at other people who don’t have them (a.k.a Legendary Weapons)

I’m gonna reference DragonNest (a instance based MMO). That game did not need mounts at all, but for some god forsaken reason they added them in there. They could only be used in town anyways so people just pulled them out to just “Look at my shiny horse/wolf, I’ll afk in town for ya to look at it some more”

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

no. we wun get mounts. ever.

stop asking for them.

Posted by: atropos.3074

atropos.3074

Waypoints are FAR more immersion breaking than mounts will ever be.

The game doesn’t need mounts though, what it needs is a 10-20% speed increase in baseline movement speed across the board. For both mobs and players.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

As long as one of the mounts is a motorcycle, dunebuggy, or something similarly engineer styled I’d be ok with it. If I have to run around on a giant cat or bear a la WoW style I’m not sure I’ll have much desire to log back in…

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

I don’t understand why the few players doesn’t want mount.
Is it because you’re afraid of competiting with other players for exclusive/better mounts?

I understand that in any mmo, mounts are like gw2’s “gear cosmetic progressions”, you have to compete and play harder to look better in this mmo. They already removed the ways to compete for “gear stats”. So why can’t gw2 have mount progression? If gw2 only have one mean for players to compete (gear cosmetic progression), this game will feel empty in the future. There are so little means for hardcore players to feel “special” in PVE. This game must appeal to both casual and hardcore players. It should not be one-sided or else 50% players will leave the game in the long run.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

But this game isnt all about competing! I care more about what Im wearing rather than what anyone else is wearing. I dont care what someone else wears, If someone is wearing something cool, Ill say “wow, thats cool!” if they arent, well i see no difference. What I care about is my environment and immersion and seeing a stupid motorcycle drive by is ridiculous. Theres no lore behind mounts, in most games that they appear in its just a random assortment that really has no ties to the world. Id hate for that to happen to such a beautiful game.

/myopinion

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by Jrunyon.3012)

Posted by: Shinky.1492

Shinky.1492

2000 gem cost
Slower then the speed boosts in town
lasts 10minutes
removed on any hit
consumable

make it purely cosmetic like everything else of “value”

We don’t need mounts but i don’t mind something thats purely for show but i doubt it will happen because how the game is built, lazy people will always exsist so might as well give them something to pay for!

Posted by: Dicemeister.9340

Dicemeister.9340

You’re all blind! The first mount is already in the game!

Come take a ride (;

Attachments:

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

I really hope they add mounts, personally. I love mounts in games. I love to ride whatever it is, walking, through large maps. I’m a role player and as far as I’m concerned I think it is absolutely silly that no one has a mount.

And thankfully we forum-users are only a small population of the players because I guarantee if they polled the player base as a whole, the majority would want them.

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

Posted by: Yoshihito.5928

Yoshihito.5928

I don’t get why anyone would be against having mounts. While the game doesn’t really need them I wouldn’t mind having them. There are already various animals in the game that could be used for mounts without breaking the immersion. They don’t hurt anything and people enjoy collecting them. If they sell them in the Gem store then they get instant profit and a crap ton of money. It’s win/win for ArenaNet.

camoflaugz.5031

I really hope they add mounts, personally. I love mounts in games. I love to ride whatever it is, walking, through large maps. I’m a role player and as far as I’m concerned I think it is absolutely silly that no one has a mount.

And thankfully we forum-users are only a small population of the players because I guarantee if they polled the player base as a whole, the majority would want them.

Not only majority would want them but the ones that didnt buy the game will probably buy the game if they decided to add mounts.

Im willing to bet that if there were two separate servers " one with waypoints only" and the other with " waypoints + mounts" the waypoints + mounts would be far more alive then the server without it.

Posted by: Vaulken.6983

Vaulken.6983

go play panda for mounts, we dont want them, and they will never be added

Says you.

I hope they add mounts in a similar fashion to racing games. This way we’ll have “Super Mario 64” (jumping puzzles) AND “Mario Kart” (mount travel).