I would like to have a mount

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Antihoc.2503

Antihoc.2503

For me I hope we never get mounts in game, I would rather see a buffed travelling speed if anything had to be added.
Being mounted means people are less likely to dismount to help out, rez etc whilst travelling, waypoints do the same but seeing as most people moan that they are to expensive and cant afford to use them solves this to some degree.

If mounts had to be added because Anet gave in to the “add mount” campaigners (and also realised it is a potential avenue for increased gem store sales) then they need to make you automatically dismount before entering any out post, town or city where they can be parked on NPC’s, in front of doors etc by people just for the sake of making access to these areas impossible (believe this was a favourite trick in that other game).

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Waypoints are killing the immersion of the game. Once you hit 100% map you never go these places again.

Immersion has nothing to do with whether you return to a place. It just gets used as a catch-all excuse for complaining about something.

In what way do waypoints break the immersion in a world which has both teleporting and asura gate technology?

On topic, Given that a mount is just a speed buff with an animal stuffed between your legs it’s completely possible to balance. With the possibility to cancel on damage and ANet having complete control over how much of a runspeed buff it wouldn’t necessarily have to be a negative thing.

But it all comes down to how they do it, if they do it.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Reclusiarh.2674

Reclusiarh.2674

How about mounts as endgame for the L80? You can’t argue they are skipping content, can you?

Maybe mounts as reward for the 100% map completion?

Guild wars should be war between orders, because orders are guilds too.

Posted by: Shakki.3219

Shakki.3219

If they would add Mounts ingame they should be twice as hard to get as a Legendary. And Give no bonus at all. It should be all for a skin only.

That i would like ;]

Reaper – Anguîsh

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

since there is no mount during GW1 7-year running , i doubt GW2 will have it.

it is Guild Wars franchise identity… no mount, just running around…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Diaspro.8529

Diaspro.8529

Game is fine without mounts.
The lore and the gameplay aren’t designed to use mounts…

Rig: Intel Core i5-2400 -8GB RAM -Nvidia GTX570
EU Servers

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The maps are small enough as it is. Mounts would just make the world feel even smaller.

Besides that Anet has already said they will never add mounts to the game so discussion is pointless.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

I think for some, the issue would be not the mounts, but the fact that Anet would be going back on something that made them different from the rest.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

This game need mounts, for me way points is a cop out for traveling.

Please Arenanet, there are many fan suggestions you should consider mounts, this is one of them.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

fellyn.5083

Please Arenanet, there are many fan suggestions you should consider mounts, this is one of them.

No it doesn’t need mounts. GW1 never had them and GW2 won’t either.

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

Thanks…you done?

We are all giving our opinion here. No need to shut me down because you disagree.

Don’t waste your time not that you would change my mind. GW2 devs have already mentioned that they are not completely against the idea so..never say never.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

The idea of mounts disgusts me. I’m not entirely sure why I feel so vehemently opposed to them. There are many reasons I dislike them, but… why do I dislike them quiet as much as I do?

Regardless, here are the reasons I do not want mounts in the game.

1. Mounts will clutter zones and crowd important NPCs. This never looks appealing and the zones of Tyria are too appealing to ruin so simply.

2. There’s no precident for it. Teleportation has a long history in Tyria. Mounts have only ever been used by one living race, and only then as warbeasts.

3. Why do people keep suggesting animals? This is a world with golems, motorcycles, tanks, airships and submarines. How many people ride horses (which, by the way, are extinct in Tyria) on todays roads? Furthermore, none of the beasts of burden and machines in Tyria are speedy. With waypoints, there’s no need for that. They’re all for transporting goods and war machines.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

why wouldnt you want mounts.. it’s like saying no to candy ..

I say no to candy all the time and i say no to mounts . Waypoints are perfectly fine .

fellyn.5083

Thanks…you done?

We are all giving our opinion here. No need to shut me down because you disagree.

Don’t waste your time not that you would change my mind. GW2 devs have already mentioned that they are not completely against the idea so..never say never.

Where have they said they are not completely against the idea because I am fairly certain that they have in fact said there will never be mounts in gw2.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Asking for mounts is like beating a dead horse, no matter how often you do it, you will always get the same result.

They already said there won’t be any mounts.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

I would love to have a fast mount, it would make me certain take less travel portals, makes me explore way more. At this moment I don’t explore enough, cause I don’t walk the entire map on a slow pace. And even flying mounts I wouldnt see no to it, but with all mounts I think they should not be working in the cities and villages. E.g. WoW where the centre of a city is infested by BADM (Big kitten Dragon Mounts) and you see more mounts then scenery.

Piken Square

Posted by: Colton.9460

Colton.9460

To those saying that ppl would be less likely to dismount and help with DEs: Do you really think they are more likely to pay the current waypoint cost, because right now it seems they aren’t. If anything I think a way to quickly travel to DEs without paying out the kitten would go a long way to help beef up DE populations.

But regardless the waypoint system like many of their other features are meant to be gold sinks, they scale in cost so that they longer you play the game( i.e the more you are invested into it personally) the more likely you are to buy gems to help lessen the grind. Mounts would be a one time cost( that would be less gold per travel each time it was used) that would also make waypoints ineffective at their intended goal, and leave more gold in the economy.

This system seems no less seedy than the skinner box that players seem to freak out and critique so much; but here some people are overly loyal to the game and will tell me and others that “no way, Anet is a totally aulturist company, they dont try to maximize profits in anyway they can and keep their investors happy, I love them you hateful troll.”

“I’m watching you violate my game mode”

(edited by Colton.9460)

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

+1 Fotr mounts. As some1 mentione alrdy, i would buy coins to get a mount. I dont think mounts would be in any way gamebreaking. They can disable them in WvW and spvp, i dont mind.

but with the great arts and graphics of GW2, i am sure they could make AWESOME mounts. And i am going to use less waypoints, and discover a lot more of the world.

Posted by: marianojc.2965

marianojc.2965

My view is that mounts are needed in this game so that all players of a group can run at the same speed. In the current state of the game you can see groups dismember whilst running because some have almost permanent speed boost, other have temporal speed boost, other use teleport skills whilst running, etc. The problem of having to run long distances is particularly important in WvWvW and it is even harder when your World is losing (I mean, for example, if your World does not control SM castle you have to be running around the castle to go to any far place in the map and a mount would be really helpful. Or, that when a World is controlling a map it has upgraded Way Points -“instant travel”-, whilst the players from the other Worlds have to go running everywhere, restricting even more their options for counterattacks).

There were mounts with say 50% speed boost, I think it would not bring any major problem (or it would bring a major problem? Like more lag?). And, I share the view, that mounts may be considered to have a major rol in rol playing whilst Way Points do break rol playing immersion. What probable rol playing interpretation may have a Way Point? I think that in GW2 way points should be considered more like resurrection points, to re-enter the World after having been separated from it by death (but, they should be free of charge, because there is a double charge: one for repairing the armor and one to reenter the World. And, Mounts can be a gold sink instead of Way Points).

(edited by marianojc.2965)

Posted by: Hyena.7963

Hyena.7963

You guys saying that you’d “explore more” if you had mounts are lying whether you realize it or not.

You’d ride your mount in a straight line from Heart to Heart and would have absolutely no reason to do otherwise at any point.

The fact that you want to move faster in a world that is already extremely compact tells me that you already have your destinations planned out, and that you’re not the types to take your time.

Funset.7893

Asking for mounts is like beating a dead horse, no matter how often you do it, you will always get the same result.

They already said there won’t be any mounts.

U never know, u never know….

fellyn.5083

If you don’t have the interest in exploring the world now why would that change when you had mount? If you say because it would be “faster” I say bullkitten. The entire point of exploring is to take your time doing it. And considering how the map is “uncovered” you have no more reason to go exploring if mounts were added than you do now.

And then can you imagine the kittentorm it would cause for them to add mounts into the game and then immediately afterwords say they will be disabled in all aspects of pvp?

There is absolutely no reason why GW2 needs mounts.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: SoulTrain.2157

SoulTrain.2157

i say add mounts for cosmetic purposes, but they walk the same speed as you do already or maybe 10% faster. but i dont see how you would get around in the later areas being everything is so close together you will be getting attacked all the way to your destination unless they make mounts invunerable.

Posted by: Reclusiarh.2674

Reclusiarh.2674

Limit the mounts only to the paths. Once you leave the path, you can be targeted by any mob and you automatically dismount. Also mounts should be on cool downs.

And how aboout the mounts only being legendary?

Guild wars should be war between orders, because orders are guilds too.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

when you read claims people leave a game for the sole reason of not having mounts, you really wonder what the world is coming too… unless theses games are equestrian simulations.

Funset.7893

when you read claims people leave a game for the sole reason of not having mounts, you really wonder what the world is coming too… unless theses games are equestrian simulations.

I know right! Or a jumping simulator! (u see wut i did der?!)

Mounts are simply cool, and all those smartypants who are against the mounts, cant provide one logical reason why.

Posted by: Gibbel.5734

Gibbel.5734

all these people saying go to WoW if you want mounts are patethic.. Lets behonest the only reason why 90% of you do not want to use mounts is because WoW has them.. and tbh WoW didnt invented the mounts concept almost any RPG has them.
With mounts GW 2 is just as unique and amazing, mounts won’t change that at all. They only at to the already amazing game.

I personally compare this game more to Single player games like Skyrim and gues what Skyrim doesn’t need mounts, yet they are in the game cause it’s fun and at’s to the RPG experience/immersion of the game.

Saying we don’t NEED mounts if compleet bullkitten .. this is a game you dont NEED anything.. we didnt need the Halloween event yet we have it because it’s FUN. It is the main reason off playing games after all.. and mounts would for me personally at to the immersion of the game.

There is absolutely no reason why GW2 shouldnt have mounts.

Excuse my kitteny english.

(edited by Gibbel.5734)

Posted by: Shevek.2691

Shevek.2691

Mounts are simply cool, and all those smartypants who are against the mounts, cant provide one logical reason why.

I’m pretty sure “the developers have said no” is a pretty logical reason why we’re not getting mounts. On top of that, not one person has given a good/logical reason for why mounts would be useful—they’ve all got a counter that shoots it down fairly well.

Saying it breaks immersion is not a good reason; we have asura gates and instant teleportation at our fingertips.

Saying it’d bring people back into lower level zones is not a good reason; the zones are already small. If you’re not there now, how would a mount -feasibly- change that?

Saying it’d be another grind for glory is not a good reason; we already have those in weapons and armor—we don’t need mounts cluttering up an already taxed system in the cities. Plenty of people already have it hard enough with the load times in LA without additional memory being devoted to extra animations/particle effects/etc.

Algreg.3629

I do not want to see mounts for various reasons – drain on dev time, need to build an equestrian combat system from scratch (unless they should be totally cosmetic) and so on. But the main problem many people probably have with mounts is not the beasties themselves, but the underlying mentality of “fluffyness”. Mounts are usually demanded by a playertype that also wants cute cosmetic pets and stuff like that and a lot of players oppose this kind of fluffyness. “Mounts are simply cool” isn´t a logical reason either btw. Personally, I hope we will never see any mount in here. Or I hope anet just makes them cosmetics, puts a HUGE pricetag on them and rips off the fluff-faction on a great scale. The money should then go into good additions to the game.

Funset.7893

U can not be serious on this one. GW2 is all about fluffyness, hunting costumes, hunting cosmetic items, hunting for pets even (we dont have pets, are u sure abt that? think again please).

U have concerns about the devs work, really? U do care that much? I am sure they will get paid very well for their work u dont need to worry about that.

Saying it breaks immersion is not a good reason; we have asura gates and instant teleportation at our fingertips.
Saying it’d bring people back into lower level zones is not a good reason; the zones are already small. If you’re not there now, how would a mount -feasibly- change that?
Saying it’d be another grind for glory is not a good reason; we already have those in weapons and armor—we don’t need mounts cluttering up an already taxed system in the cities. Plenty of people already have it hard enough with the load times in LA without additional memory being devoted to extra animations/particle effects/etc.

Because saying why u are AGAINST the mounts is too mainstream i see.

Posted by: Tallenn.9218

Tallenn.9218

I’d rather they just make waypoints reasonably priced. You know, like they are when you’re low level.

Gibbel.5734

all these people saying go to WoW if you want mounts are patethic.. Lets behonest the only reason why 90% of you do not want to use mounts is because WoW has them.. and tbh WoW didnt invented the mounts concept almost any RPG has them.
With mounts GW 2 is just as unique and amazing, mounts won’t change that at all. They only at to the already amazing game.

I personally compare this game more to Single player games like Skyrim and gues what Skyrim doesn’t need mounts, yet they are in the game cause it’s fun and at’s to the RPG experience/immersion of the game.

Saying we don’t NEED mounts if compleet bullkitten .. this is a game you dont NEED anything.. we didnt need the Halloween event yet we have it because it’s FUN. It is the main reason off playing games after all.. and mounts would for me personally at to the immersion of the game.

Shevek.2691

U can not be serious on this one. GW2 is all about fluffyness, hunting costumes, hunting cosmetic items, hunting for pets even (we dont have pets, are u sure abt that? think again please).

U have concerns about the devs work, really? U do care that much? I am sure they will get paid very well for their work u dont need to worry about that.

Because saying why u are AGAINST the mounts is too mainstream i see.

I had thought my tone made it evident: I don’t like mounts. In WoW, they were an annoying measurement of your- lower extremity. At least with weapons and armor, they aren’t clogging up my screen. In SWTOR, they were obnoxious in sound.

As of right now? I don’t see a point for mounts. The zones are small and instanced, A.Net still needs to polish and optimize their engine to even handle multiple -players- on the screen at once, and we have enough ways to measure how well you perform at the game.

Algreg.3629

ok, let me rephrase then: We don´t want mounts – now my point of view is as legit as yours according to your reasoning.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’m a bettin man, and I’d put good money on this game never having mounts. But if they do add them, I do hope they make sure some are class friends… like mechanical mounts for engineers.

Safer Saviour.9685

//Reason One: Personal mounts are lorebreaking.//

Only one living race ever used personal mounts, that being the dwarves. And those mounts were only ever used as warbeasts. Although beasts of burden, tanks, airships and alike are used to trasnsport goods, there simply there is no precident for personal mounts in Tyria. Teleportation is widely accessable and part of the accepted canon.

And horses are /extinct/ in Tyria.

//Reason 2: Cluttering and Aesthetic Disruption//

The zones of GW2 are very wel/ designed. They are cohesive and bringing mounts from one area to the next would ruin that. Furthermore, there’s no way to prevent people from crowding important NPCs or clutting up outposts. Nobody likes that. It’s ugly.

//Reason 3: Pointless Drain on Developmental Resources//

Mounts, mounted combat etc. are a massive drain on resources. Balancing, even if all they provide is a speedboost, would be tricky and irksome. Preventing people from griefing jumping puzzles and certain tricky areas of terrain another. There’s more to consider than most people realise. It’s bigger than a speedboost and would detract from further content.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Oh look it’s this thread again. When will you people stop trying?

Not only is this posted in the wrong subforum, it has been suggested before. It should be clear by now that a big majority of GW2’s players would not like mounts to be added.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Gibbel.5734

ok, let me rephrase then: We don´t want mounts – now my point of view is as legit as yours according to your reasoning.

Yep it’s basiclly a i want question becuase in gaming you don’t NEED anything.
Atleast i gave some failed arguments why it would at to the game instead of saying “we no likey go play panda”

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

i love when people bring up WoW like it’s the only MMO out there with mounts. every freaking MMO on the planet has mounts. why? because people love them and they generate huge amounts on money.

it isn’t about “waving them around in people’s faces”. if you think that then we might as well remove legendaries and cultural armors too.

as for the lore, you seem to be forgetting that they CREATE the lore. they can do whatever they want with it. there’s no such thing as mounts not fitting with the lore. bad argument.

if you hate the idea of mounts because you want to walk around for some reason then don’t buy a mount. you don’t have to use them but i don’t see why’d you deny them to everyone else simply because you like walking.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Funset.7893

Ok, no mounts, I see. “Majority” of the playerbase dsnt want a mount. I guess u made an ingame poll and u know the best :/ Too bad, mounts would be cool in GW2!

Very stupid imo to compare with WoW. I think WoW mounts has a terrible design, and not only that, but they can FLY! I dont want flying mounts, they are bad. But am sure GW2 designers can make awesome looking, and aesthetic looking good mounts!

But whatever…

Safer Saviour.9685

as for the lore, you seem to be forgetting that they CREATE the lore. they can do whatever they want with it. there’s no such thing as mounts not fitting with the lore. bad argument.

There’s no such thing as Batman not fitting the lore. Arenanet create the lore. They can do whatever they like with it. Bad argument.

Sweetheart, mounts do not fit into the world of Tyria. Where would they have come from? Where would they have been hiding for the past… five+ centuries? Why would people suddenly start using them when far swifter methods of travel are available? There are no logical answers.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

There’s no such thing as Batman not fitting the lore. Arenanet create the lore. They can do whatever they like with it. Bad argument.

Sweetheart, mounts do not fit into the world of Tyria. Where would they have come from? Where would they have been hiding for the past… five+ centuries? Why would people suddenly start using them when far swifter methods of travel are available? There are no logical answers.

alright this is my five second solution. the asurans have a breeding program blah blah blah that created a stranger breed of X animal. this new animal can be ridden and helps people travel across the land.

as for faster means of travel, certainly there are waypoints, but then why are pack animals wandering around the wilderness? because people still need to get between places on foot. and that’s where mounts come in. they are for traveling across rough terrain while adventuring.

TA DA! (that was hard)

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Shevek.2691

i love when people bring up WoW like it’s the only MMO out there with mounts. every freaking MMO on the planet has mounts. why? because people love them and they generate huge amounts on money.

it isn’t about “waving them around in people’s faces”. if you think that then we might as well remove legendaries and cultural armors too.

if you hate the idea of mounts because you want to walk around for some reason then don’t buy a mount. you don’t have to use them but i don’t see why’d you deny them to everyone else simply because you like walking.

WoW is the current juggernaut—people will use it as the epitome example. And from what I know, the first Guild Wars doesn’t have mounts—and how would they generate large amounts of money? If they put it on the gem store? It’d automatically become a “buy your way to power” situation. If they allow it to be put on the TP? It’ll immediately be set to a ridiculous price that’ll force people to grind even more than they have to, or they’ll just buy gold with gems—thus equaling the first argument again.

Furthermore, people have indeed expanded on why they don’t want mounts. And it goes beyond “not wanting to have one” and “like walking”.

As of now, A.Net has made their MMO to not compensate for mounts. Adding them now would be both a PR and technical nightmare.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Ok, no mounts, I see. “Majority” of the playerbase dsnt want a mount. I guess u made an ingame poll and u know the best :/ Too bad, mounts would be cool in GW2!

You seem to forget we had these kinds of discussions years ago. Yes, years.

Look, what’s this here? It appears to be a thread that’s been running over 2 years, with almost 900 responses

Read through this before replying to this topic again, please.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

For mount suggestions and mount related discussion, please refer to the following topic

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Mounts-Merged/page/11#post555835

In the interest of keeping the forums clean and organised we are closing this thread. Thanks for your understanding