[ICM] Is this a bad thing...?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

Hello forums! Just wanted to get some clarification since the link provided on ICM’s website didn’t really clear up my concerns.

I find it much easier for me to play the game using ICM not because it makes things faster or better, but because it eliminates the need to hold down right-click to pan my camera. Before when I’d try to play (mostly on my old engineer) I’d often find my hand and wrist to start hurting after just a few minutes of play due to holding down RMB to pan my camera. It was especially taxing during world bosses and most champions when I’d have to constantly pan around after dodging, rocket boots and tossing grenades.

While the pain caused wasn’t exclusive to my engineer (being prevalent during any sort of casual play) it was exhausting while playing that class. So I started to search up any add-ons that may eliminate the RMB holding to better help my slight cripple, and found Immersive Combat Mode (http://wesslen.org/ICM/). While reading through their link provided that gave ArenaNet’s stance on third party programs, a ton of questions started popping into my head, as it seems their stance on said add-ons was mainly geared towards PvP/WvWvW and not PvE, which is what I play.

I haven’t received any complaints about how skilled or how well I play using ICM (heck, I’m more mediocre when it comes to combat in this game, with or without it) and I see no clear advantage during any sort of scenario, especially when it comes to world bosses and champions now. I often see many players, new and old, still outplay me purely based on skill even without using ICM.

So my broad question is: is using ICM to overcome the wrist pain a bannable offense? This is a general question to players instead of devs, as they’ve already said their piece. I would love to keep using it, but if it means my account will get terminated, I’d have to deal with the pain, as money is hard to come by right now and I can’t afford to lose my hobby right now.

Thanks!

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It is strictly forbidden to use that third-party program. If you decide to use it anyway, be prepared for account closure.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Combat-Mode-mod/first#post325070

But, if you want an individualized response, you can contact the CS Team and ask them if you would be allowed to use it.

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

MrWubzy.3587

I suppose I’ll have to put up with the wrist pain, then. Thanks for the input.

| Proud roleplayer! |

MrWubzy.3587

How would I go about contacting support? The links I follow on the website take me to generic FAQs, and the forums here offer no information as the search function is broken.

| Proud roleplayer! |

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Top of Page – Support – Submit a Request

Good luck.

MrWubzy.3587

Thank you, it was in such an odd spot I missed it on the Support page.

| Proud roleplayer! |

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No problem. You probably will not get a definitive answer, and will have to decide if you want to risk your account being actioned. If it is actioned, you will have to spend a few (to several) days regaining control of your account.

Totally up to you if it is worth it, or not.

Good luck.

MrWubzy.3587

I’m not really expecting a clear-cut answer, honestly, but I’ll put it in a ticket regardless. I’ll have to find a new way to play without using add-ons to help my slight issue.

| Proud roleplayer! |

Posted by: InfernoHero.5687

InfernoHero.5687

I’m not really expecting a clear-cut answer, honestly, but I’ll put it in a ticket regardless. I’ll have to find a new way to play without using add-ons to help my slight issue.

According to Gail, it’s fine.

Look at this image.

Attachments:

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

My Girlfriend has injured her wrist and can’t play with mouse and Keyboard so we have tried lots of different things so she can enjoy the games she likes.

Cideko Air Keyboard Conqueror
http://www.cideko.com/pro_con.php?id=15

This one is realy good, she can play GW2 almost without any complications… The only problems is for her to cast Aim skills. This is the thing she uses for GW2 at the moment. But it requires you to use Xpadder wich is a program in the red-zone, but I am pretty sure that you are safe as long as you don’t use any macros. But as said before, you are never safe when using thirdparty stuff.

And

Trackball
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Optical-Trackman-USB/dp/B00006B9CR

This one we bought her before the Controller and she could play a little longer before she got too much pain. It took a while for her to get used too but now she prefere this one than a mouse.

I hope you can find a way to play without any wrist pain.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

It is strictly forbidden to use that third-party program. If you decide to use it anyway, be prepared for account closure.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Combat-Mode-mod/first#post325070

But, if you want an individualized response, you can contact the CS Team and ask them if you would be allowed to use it.

Good luck.

Why don’t you necro a thread from GW1 and their stance on mods from there?
2 years later and it’s just fine.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lol, no different than the message from Gaile dated September 25, 2012.

As I stated, the OP can discuss the issue with the CS Team now. The use of third-party programs may, or may not, be detected and flagged. Though the OP would likely regain control of his/her account, it does take some time, and occasionally does not work out as desired. I know because my account was ‘permanently’ banned, and then re-instated.

It is certainly up to him/her. /shrug

Posted by: InfernoHero.5687

InfernoHero.5687

Lol, no different than the message from Gaile dated September 25, 2012.

As I stated, the OP can discuss the issue with the CS Team now. The use of third-party programs may, or may not, be detected and flagged. Though the OP would likely regain control of his/her account, it does take some time, and occasionally does not work out as desired. I know because my account was ‘permanently’ banned, and then re-instated.

It is certainly up to him/her. /shrug

What was the ban for?

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

MrWubzy.3587

I’m not sure if what the OP mentions there is the same as ICM, as Google searches provide different results as far as I can see. And thank you all for the replies; right now I’ll just wait for a response from ArenaNet and see if they give me any sort of answer. While it’s not expected in the slightest, I suppose it’s worth a shot…

My Girlfriend has injured her wrist and can’t play with mouse and Keyboard so we have tried lots of different things so she can enjoy the games she likes.

Cideko Air Keyboard Conqueror
http://www.cideko.com/pro_con.php?id=15

This one is realy good, she can play GW2 almost without any complications… The only problems is for her to cast Aim skills. This is the thing she uses for GW2 at the moment. But it requires you to use Xpadder wich is a program in the red-zone, but I am pretty sure that you are safe as long as you don’t use any macros. But as said before, you are never safe when using thirdparty stuff.

And

Trackball
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Optical-Trackman-USB/dp/B00006B9CR

This one we bought her before the Controller and she could play a little longer before she got too much pain. It took a while for her to get used too but now she prefere this one than a mouse.

I hope you can find a way to play without any wrist pain.

Thank you for the help! But sad to say, the trackball has never alleviated it in any form, it only enhanced the pain. The controller you linked wouldn’t work as well…the precision of a mouse is unmatched in games like this. I’ve already tried playing with my precision 360 custom controller using Xpadder and the like, but it’s nowhere near as precise and fast.

Again, thank you all for the help!

EDIT: It wouldn’t help my case if WoodenPotatoes put up a video on it, would it? Or is he not that big a part in the community?

| Proud roleplayer! |

(edited by MrWubzy.3587)